Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed modules

Options
  • 21-07-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Wonder could you give me some advice because I am trying to advise my friend and I am completely at sea.

My friend got a letter from UCD stating that she got 40 out of 60 modules in 1st Year Science. She has to repeat or substitute 4 modules. Not sure if they are core or elective modules. She thought she only had to repeat 2 subjects cos she thought that she could compensate some subjects but from reading this letter these four modules have to be resat, repeated or substituted.

She is up the walls. Should she give up and repeat 1st year again and start from scratch as those results will look very bad on any transcript for any future employer? Or should she try to do those repeat modules at Christmas? Or should she repeat two modules at Christmas and repeat the other two in May? She skipped lectures and didn't do assignments so she only has herself to blame. She is very bright but very lazy. What would you advise?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

"Friend"

"Very bright but very lazy"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

LUPE wrote: »
    "Friend"

"Very bright but very lazy"

:rolleyes:
    I don't see the problem here- friends are straight with friends, and by the sounds of it, it could very well be true

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Siuin wrote: »
    I don't see the problem here- friends are straight with friends, and by the sounds of it, it could very well be true

I mean it's not his/her friend, it's him/her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

LUPE wrote: »
    I mean it's not his/her friend, it's him/her
    Have no shame, OP, have no shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

strange cause i only got 40 out of 60 creds in stage 1 but when i rang the arts programme office she said i only have to resit one and can compensate the other 3 at xmas??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

corkman123 wrote: »
    strange cause i only got 40 out of 60 creds in stage 1 but when i rang the arts programme office she said i only have to resit one and can compensate the other 3 at xmas??? :confused:

No it's not strange. That girl has the same option. She can resit/repeat those modules if she wants, she can substitute non-core/electives or else resit/repeat just one and hope her GPA is 2.0 or above in order to compensate.

Just to add, it goes without saying that the Programme Office should be contacted to answer this query. But the above are pretty likely to be her options.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

What I am wondering is this:

- 15 credits shy of a degree,failed them just this summer gone
    - Repeat one class, resit three exams in total at Christmas 2011

How much would I have to pay registration-wise if I'm to be only going to be active for one semester so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

No it's not strange. That girl has the same option.

Depends on her GPA and whether they're core modules. Definitely worth checking with the Programme Office.

Gae wrote: »
    Depends on her GPA and whether they're core modules. Definitely worth checking with the Programme Office.

I did say it depends on her GPA. Cores can be compensated too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement