Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundoran Co. Donegal.

Options
  • 21-07-2011 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I had reason to be in Bundoran a few weeks ago and noticed a large number of amusement arcades in the town but no real industry. What do Bundoran people work at in the winter time?, I gather that Bundoran is a tourist town and is open during the summer. I also noticed some kind of memorial seat close to waterworld but did not understand who is was dedicated to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

For memorial seat info

http://www.bundoranfirebrigade.com/1980_hotel_fire.htm

Employment is indeed seasonal and taken by students. Although the main busy season is July and august there are also busy periods on every bank holiday weekend and over Easter etc. Most people working there ( as I did for 10 years) take their 'summer' holidays in the Nov- Jan period. With large conferences and the increase in local residents it not quiet for too long these days in comparison to 10-15 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

irish1967 wrote: »
    For memorial seat info

http://www.bundoranfirebrigade.com/1980_hotel_fire.htm

Employment is indeed seasonal and taken by students. Although the main busy season is July and august there are also busy periods on every bank holiday weekend and over Easter etc. Most people working there ( as I did for 10 years) take their 'summer' holidays in the Nov- Jan period. With large conferences and the increase in local residents it not quiet for too long these days in comparison to 10-15 years ago.

Googled the Central Hotel fire, my God what a disaster, what those people and their families must have went through, shame on Bundoran Town Council for trying to sweep the plan for a memorial under the carpet and good on that guy who is a relation of one of the vitims of the fire for seeing the memorial through

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

Surfing is massive in Bundoran and the conditions are generally better during the winter months. There is a few Surf Schools, the major one is Donegal Adventure Centre. The wave of winter surf tourism is part of what keeps the other businesses thriving during the winter.

Also check out the eurosurf this september ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

hollyeef wrote: »
    Surfing is massive in Bundoran and the conditions are generally better during the winter months. There is a few Surf Schools, the major one is Donegal Adventure Centre. The wave of winter surf tourism is part of what keeps the other businesses thriving during the winter.

Also check out the eurosurf this september ...

Actually surfing draws in a huge crown to Bundoran, but I understand some Bundoran Councillors don't go far enough to promote surfing in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Googled the Central Hotel fire, my God what a disaster, what those people and their families must have went through, shame on Bundoran Town Council for trying to sweep the plan for a memorial under the carpet and good on that guy who is a relation of one of the vitims of the fire for seeing the memorial through
    I was a friend of one of the young children that died in that fire - can not be there today the anniversary but may they all rest in peace).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Dont post off topic please.

Advertisement