Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ's SUCK. What would you like to hear?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Anytime I go out to a dance bar/club, What am I doing there I here you say, its the same play list pretty much over and over and over. No DJ ever takes a risk. Its those same R'nb Dancey kinda tunes in any given dance bar. I'm sure I speak for 100% of folks when I say the music DJ's play pretty much sucks. I find it hard to approach a bird to this shít too. Its pretty aggressive, played loudly, no class at all. I think this music makes people more aggressive.

If you had a few songs you could dance to, what would you chose? Could someone let me know how to post a youtube vid (mod?), I'm not ofay with the App. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They would argue that it is what people want to hear but the truth is most DJs are crap. Playing whatever rn'b/hip hop rubbish is in the charts + whatever rn'b/hip hop crap was in the charts is the limit of their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I dont know if it necessarily 'what people wanna hear'. I think its a case of this is whats playing - its got a beat - I've come to dance = Bust a move. I dont hear anyone saying "I wanna hear Lil' Wayne!". So much good dance/synth/electro around it could probably rewire the attitude of the headaballs. I think it can be said that the DJ pretty much always went down the cheap and easy route. But you would think even one of many would just offer somethin fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hmmm, off the top of my head and this would essentially be in my ideal world where everyone would like the same music as me

Metallica: Unforgiven/For Whom the Bell Tolls/Fight Fire with Fire/Orion
    Radiohead: Anything off Ok Computer or The Bends
    The Prodigy: Poison, Their Law, Smack my Bitch Up
    The Cure: Lovecats, In Between Days
    Simon and Garfunkel: Keep the Customer Satisfied
    The Mars Volta: Inertiac ESP, tracks 5, 8 and 10 off Deloused, tracks 1, 2, 3 off Frances the Mute
    Bjork: Army of Me, All is Full of Love
    Prince: Party like its 1999
    Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb, Time, Money, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, the recording of that 10 minute song they played in Pompeii with the excellent whammy bar action
    Reverend Bizarre: Caesar Forever, Doom over the World, Dark Sorceress
    Led Zep: Black Dog, When the Levee Breaks, Misty Mountain Hop, Kashmir
    Opeth: Fair Judgement, Heir Apparent, Ghost of Perdition, The Drapery Falls
    Pantera: Cowboys from Hell, Mouth for War
    At The Drive In: One Armed Scissor, track one off relationships of Command
    Jimi Hedrix: Vodoo Child, Freedom
    Animals as Leaders: Tempting Time, Cafo
    All of my own music hehe.

One can always dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

guitarzero wrote: »
    I think it can be said that the DJ pretty much always went down the cheap and easy route. But you would think even one of many would just offer somethin fresh.

Always wondered this myself, surely if one went against the mould and starting playing some 70s funk & the like, then word would spread that this late bar/club plays great music, getting in a few extra punters on a Friday / Saturday night. Only reason I can think of is that maybe the dont want to take the risk of alienating their clients & hence losing out on their gig.

Ive been at functions where stuff like Talking Heads, Funkadelic, Sly & the Family Stone , Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd (which would be the stuff id love to hear on nights out) were being played, and they got great reactions, so in my own opinion, I dont believe that late bars and clubs would loose many customers with a radical shift in music policy. But you hit the nail on the head pretty much, they do just go down the cheap & easy route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Depends where you go. If you're going to a meat market, you're going to hear the cheap r n' b crap that will hurt your brain. I play an hour a week in a bar and always make an effort to do something different. Here's what I mean:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32467704/Jawsmelt.mp3

Just stay away from the bad places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Depends where you go. If you're going to a meat market, you're going to hear the cheap r n' b crap that will hurt your brain. I play an hour a week in a bar and always make an effort to do something different. Here's what I mean:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32467704/Jawsmelt.mp3

Just stay away from the bad places.

precisely this.

depends entirely where you go. there are clubs for any and all tastes in music, not just cattle market rnb type places.

Advertisement