Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place you would recommend for a beer around Melbourne?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

All this talk of Irish in St Kilda and boardies not really boozing there has me wondering. Where do you go out?

Can you suggest a few descent pubs or clubs? Ive never been out in St Kilda, am I missing anything?

Some places ive liked are

Brunswick Street area
    The Night Cat
    Bar open

CBD
    Pony or cherry bar for a little bit more grungy.
    I like the lounge aswell
    The rooftop bar (top of the building cookie is in)

Honestly I should know more but not been to so many :o

Munky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

If you're interesting in trying different unusual bars, check out "Deck of Secrets" http://deckofsecrets.com/. Its a pack of cards with different pubs in melbourne in it. Some interesting places down back alleys.

You can pick them up in any decent bookshop in Melbourne. Can get a CBD version or a non-CBD version depending on what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Haven't been out much myself. Brunswick street is good. Also went to lounge on swanston. I liked it but others didnt :( no charty ****e
    Been to rooftop in cookie a few times. Normally during the day for one or two after work. Same as drunken poet on peel street. Nice place to relax with a pint. Friendly staff, well one of them anyway. Other girl looks a bit up herself.
    Carlton club on bourke isn't bad either. Have a balcony upstairs and then more outside space on the rooftop. Very nice up there. Was a bit chilly the night i was up there and they were doing hot apple cider on special. Warmed me up and got merry all in one :)
    Would be interested to hear of any other nice bars to relax and have a pint to oneself in the cbd. Do need to pass an hour or so sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I hear good things about the Retreat hotel in sydney rd near dawson st ,Brunswick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Zambia wrote: »
    I hear good things about the Retreat hotel in sydney rd near dawson st ,Brunswick.

It's ok, bit of a try hard "boho" crowd in when I was in but then again it's Brunswick so that's to be expected.

The Sporting Club on Weston Street is just down the road and is lovely chilled out spot for few Sunday pints. They do lots of nice beers on tap like James Squire and Mountain Goat, large lounge with pool table and decent beer garden too. Despite the name it's not a sports bar at all, only one small tv and no pokies!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

Pugg Mahones in Carlton
    Great staff, nice pints, outdoor area, bar and lounge, live music at weekends, good food incuding a ten dollar sunday roast, nice mix of students, locals and backpackers
    good place to go for a few pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

A lot have been mentioned already but my favourites are:

The Night Cat
    Carlton Club on Friday after work is good
    The Croft Institute, really cool bar kitted out like a mental institute with themed cocktails
    The Local in Balaclava is good for a quiet drink or two
    The Quiet Man in Flemington has great food and good for Sunday pints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Section 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

The Retreat is good for live music.

Other good spots in Brunswick are:
    The Brunswick Green - great atmosphere and bluesy music
    The Penny Black - great beer garden - can get very loud and busy on weekends though
    The Edinburgh Castle - live bands - service can be bad though
    The Cornish Arms - was a bit soulless but getting better
    The Brunswick Hotel - interesting weeknight nights e.g. open mic, poetry etc. Can be very loud with live music on the weekends
    Roisin Dubh - Very small Irish pub, reminiscent of the Drunken Poet. Newish and I haven't been in lately so not sure how it's going.
    Bar Etiquette - Small, arty, nice beer garden
    Bridie O'Reilly's - big, trivia nights, bit soulless

That's just Sydney Road, there are plenty more in the Brunswick area. Sydney Road can get a bit hectic on the weekends but any of these places is good for a sit down and chat on a weeknight. Most of them do pretty good food too.

Forgot section 8. Good for washing down the dumplings from next door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Awesome guys.
    Some good stuff there, keep it coming.

Section 8 is pretty cool alright. Food comma after the dumplings alright

Had a pint in the drunken poet one evening, some good live music on! Also the corkman on paddys day was pretty great!

How do people rate the espy in st kilda? Good for gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Section 8

Love this place.

For those who drink cider. Aldi have pint bottles of magners for3.99 in Franklin street. Pretty cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Damn you slunk. Was hoping for a dry week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

How do people rate the espy in st kilda? Good for gigs?

the espy is deadly i think been there a few times and
    must try go more often. there's a bug variety of bands that play there
    i usually go at the weekends.
    heading there on friday night for salmonella dub sound system :D
    as long as im not too knackered after work.

i go to the presinct in richmond a fair bit i think its a good night out band then dj
    you'd want to get in before the game in the mcg is over tho otherwise qqq
    i like the local in st kilda just off chapel had a few budwars in there sat
    and the black cat in fitzroy is a cool place to hang out have a few..
    the drunken poet is a great spot had a few black pints in there on sunday
    they were shifting some amount of the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Slunk wrote: »
    For those who drink cider. Aldi have pint bottles of magners for3.99 in Franklin street. Pretty cheap :)

Damn my local Aldi doesn't have grog

Advertisement