Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Allowance upgraded to 500GB

• 20-07-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

on 1 of upc twitter accounts its says there doubling the allowance from 250 gb to 500 gb happy days guys dont know about the 100 meg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

homer911 wrote: »
    The T's & C's seem to indicate 500Gb for those on the 50Mb connection, 250Gb for the 25Mb connection

will the 100mb be increased to terabyte then?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

They're increasing the cap on all packages to 500GB and upgrading "99%" of their customers to at least 20Meg speeds.

Link: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/22740-99pc-of-upc-broadband-custo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

They're increasing the cap on all packages to 500GB and upgrading "99%" of their customers to at least 20Meg speeds.

Link: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/22740-99pc-of-upc-broadband-custo/
    Interesting I wonder how this will affect there triple play packages? And all the download limits are going up to 500GB which is mad!

If the 12mb is going up to 20 instead of getting the triple play pack might get the 20mb BB plus the Digital Max tv for less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

yup i got a letter today saying there upping the cap to 500g in september and adding 2 new channels to TV, the food channel and true movies

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

so if im on 12mb, i will be upgraded to 20mb, for 1 or 2 euro more, and 500gb usage a month?
    surely this isnt true:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

It all looks very tempting, if only UPC was available in my area. I personally think they should focus on rolling out to more areas than upping speeds but I'm biased :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It all looks very tempting, if only UPC was available in my area. I personally think they should focus on rolling out to more areas than upping speeds but I'm biased :o

definetly, they seem to be improving constantly broadband wise, only a matter of time before they wipe eircom out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The download cap increase is not as clear cut as it seems.

From the UPC website -

For customers who signed up to UPC Broadband service from July 2011, the data transfer allowance is:
    500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 25Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb users

For all other customers who have signed up to UPC Broadband service prior to July 2011, the data transfer allowances for the various packages are:
    15GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb users (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 1Mb),
    120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 20Mb, (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 10Mb) and 25Mb (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) users,
    250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb, 25Mb, 30Mb and 50Mb users and
    500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I hate ya UPC... me here stuck with my crappy Eircom 3mb internet that struggles to load a youtube video at 360p :mad: :mad:

the second they start to expand across the country it'll be the end of Eircom forever...

whenever that happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

The download cap increase is not as clear cut as it seems.

From the UPC website -

For customers who signed up to UPC Broadband service from July 2011, the data transfer allowance is:

For all other customers who have signed up to UPC Broadband service prior to July 2011, the data transfer allowances for the various packages are:
    120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 20Mb, (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 10Mb) and 25Mb (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) users,
    500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users.

Can you give link to source?

This division between those signed before and after July, is just plain stupid if you ask me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

valdigre wrote: »

This division between those signed before and after July, is just plain stupid if you ask me...

Its there unfortunately, in section 3 of the acceptable usage policy:
    http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

well im on 30 meg signed up way before July 2011, and the letter i received today says there upping my cap to 500 gig on 5th september

:confused:

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I started out on 5Mbp little more than a year ago and since then have been bumped up to 8, then 10, and now 20.

I think that puts me on the 120gb cap?

Or at least I hope....

Was 30 or 40 gigabytes when I first joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

shinzon wrote: »
    well im on 30 meg signed up way before July 2011, and the letter i received today says there upping my cap to 500 gig on 5th september

:confused:

Shin
    i'd say that if you signed up for an upgrade they're including anyone who rang in too maybe?

it doesn't actually say new customer, just customers who signed up.

anyone who got the 50mb or 100mb when the new upgrades arrived technically 'signed up' all over again, so maybe that's it.

oh UPC, i do wish you'd sort your billing out, it's a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭j_lennon18

Trojan00 wrote: »
    valdigre wrote: »

I would assume that this is the current caps so that they can make new customers happy but it will change in September for all previous customers.

At least that's what I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

As the title states from the 5th September they will be increasing the usage (download / upload ) to 500gb which was a nice surprise this morning.

Although they do point out at the end of the letter that due to change folks do have the opportunity to withdraw from the contract without penalty. (Note if you have not informed UPC within 30 days then you are deemed to have accepted the new terms. Just if anyone has been looking for a way out then this is it, so long as the change applies to your particular product.

I have no reason bring this to anyone's attention, it is merely something UPC declare at the end of the letter anyway so it is just FYI really.

I am happy customer of UPC's Broadband standalone package for over 2 years now. I was on 30mb, now on 50 and both are 100%

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'd say that if you signed up for an upgrade they're including anyone who rang in too maybe?

it doesn't actually say new customer, just customers who signed up.

anyone who got the 50mb or 100mb when the new upgrades arrived technically 'signed up' all over again, so maybe that's it.

oh UPC, i do wish you'd sort your billing out, it's a complete mess.

Actually your right, when I originally signed up it was for 15meg, then upgraded to 30 meg later on, hence the letter

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

But as pointed out elsewhere, here it states:

500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users. For queries regarding our Acceptable Usage Policy contact us by email aup@upc.ie

So not so good if you're an old customer pre july :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

I think those terms apply to the current situation. The letter that I recieved today clearly states that from September my download allowance will be 500gb. I have had the 30mb service for a number of years. Fair play to UPC, at last a decent cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hopefully you're right. Time will tell for the rest of us. The 120gb cap is great too but 500 sure would be sweet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

I'll have to give up my part time job to download that much every month. ;)

I wonder if I downloaded 500gb during August would they put me on the extreme package for the first 5 days of September?

there's already a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056333282

the two threads should probably get a mod merge. :)

Mod note: Threads merged now.

post mod note me note: thanks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

on 1 of upc twitter accounts its says there doubling the allowance from 250 gb to 500 gb happy days guys dont know about the 100 meg

Ha and that means they dont have to tell us it unlimited any more now the truth comes out at last. it was false advertising before and now they have grounds to get you in court should you exceed 500GBs cleaver

Sunny!! wrote: »
    so if im on 12mb, i will be upgraded to 20mb, for 1 or 2 euro more, and 500gb usage a month?
    surely this isnt true:eek:

I was on 20mb and i upgraded to 25 mbs for €1

have to say it seem ok

Trojan00 wrote: »

i dont understand can you explain it in simple terms please :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nobody can explain UPC shystering in simple terms Tony save by saying it is shystering because it is not unlimited.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nobody can explain UPC shystering in simple terms Tony save by saying it is shystering because it is not unlimited.

they put up to the maximum payment when i have gone over my limit once before and i argued that their terms states "unlimited" so i sent them a letter treating to sue them for false advertisement and the reimberesed me the money they took and also sent an apology letter :) seems im not the only one to give out to them

i guess its about time we knew where we stood with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Happy happy days, nice one UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Letter today from UPC with "Important Changes".

Monthly Rate Decrease: as of 5 September the 100 MB Broadband is only €55

However if you have phone service be carefull as there is now a charge of €3.30 for call barring which comes automaticly with UPC phone service, so make sure you cancel it if you don't need it.

Also the stand alone charge of €7.75 continues for old customers which have broadband/phone only.

• Advertisement

Also the stand alone charge of €7.75 continues for old customers which have broadband/phone only.
    unless you ask to speak to the customer loyalty team to complain about the double standards and them penalising faithful long term customers in which case they will waive the extra fees. ;)

also, I just got my first bill since i managed to get them to sort out my billing problems after upgrading to the 100mbps & phone deal.

upcbilljuly.jpg

the previous bill included a credit for the amount i was overcharged on the 1st one after the upgrade. :)

hard to complain really! :D

Advertisement