Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Allowance upgraded to 500GB

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its about time that they did away with the "unlimited" charade and it would be nice to think that our campaign on boards.ie contributed to it.

It would be nice to see the other companies who continue to perpetrate this unlimited myth following suit.

The ASA should hang their heads in shame over this ongoing fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Letter today from UPC with "Important Changes".

Monthly Rate Decrease: as of 5 September the 100 MB Broadband is only €55

However if you have phone service be carefull as there is now a charge of €3.30 for call barring which comes automaticly with UPC phone service, so make sure you cancel it if you don't need it.

Also the stand alone charge of €7.75 continues for old customers which have broadband/phone only.

hear hear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nobody can explain UPC shystering in simple terms Tony save by saying it is shystering because it is not unlimited.

they put up to the maximum payment when i have gone over my limit once before and i argued that their terms states "unlimited" so i sent them a letter treating to sue them for false advertisement and the reimberesed me the money they took and also sent an apology letter :) seems im not the only one to give out to them

i guess its about time we knew where we stood with them

Pity all the poor punters who didn't stand up to them and got fleeced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Letter today from UPC with "Important Changes".

Monthly Rate Decrease: as of 5 September the 100 MB Broadband is only €55

However if you have phone service be carefull as there is now a charge of €3.30 for call barring which comes automaticly with UPC phone service, so make sure you cancel it if you don't need it.

Also the stand alone charge of €7.75 continues for old customers which have broadband/phone only.

Is there anyway to get rid of this charge. Im with UPC over 3 years and got rid of their tv package for Sky a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Is there anyway to get rid of this charge. Im with UPC over 3 years and got rid of their tv package for Sky a few months ago.
    yep, read some of the responses since that post you quoted. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

from bk post on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056262789
    Note there is a €7.75 charge if you don't get either TV OR phone. BUT if you get phone, then this charge no longer applies

Let me restate that, if you take their phone service you do NOT pay the standalone charge. So really there is no reason not to take their phone service, even if you never use it, as it is 75 cent cheaper. And you actually save €8 on the 100mb BB!!
    does that answer your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not sure why El Tor closed the thread and request you ask the question in another thread

Did you read my post in that thread? It explains clearly why it was closed, and that the question had been asked and answered many times all ready. Do not question decisions of moderation on thread. Also, no need for the smart arse obfuscation of my user name.
    its made sense to leave the "UPC Standalone Charge" thread open as it was specific, but opinions vary and we have to accept that.

The thread was old and out dated. The rules around the stand alone charge have changed, and are addressed sufficiently in the current UPC threads. That old thread has no place on the current forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Well anyways I just got confirmation of my upgrade to 20mb via the post today.

More importantly, it also my said my current download cap of 120gb will be increased to 500gb in september.

Yay!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I hate ya UPC... me here stuck with my crappy Eircom 3mb internet that struggles to load a youtube video at 360p :mad: :mad:
    I have know how you feel, I have 1mb (and 10gb dl p/m shared out between 4 or 5 people). I can't even get Eircom where I am. They say that are moving out this way... So yea as soon as anyone moves this way I'll be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Can anyone explain this to me as i tried to call them today but was on hold for 25 mins and gave up.

Im paying for internet from them for over 3 years now.

Ive always had UNLIMITED download.

In post today i get a leaflet telling me my CAP??? has increasesd??..my unlimited has increased??

my bill has incresed because i got the FOOD CHANNEL & TRUE MOVIES added but i nevr asked for them???

both channels are complete garbage & my dog would not watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well anyways I just got confirmation of my upgrade to 20mb via the post today.

More importantly, it also my said my current download cap of 120gb will be increased to 500gb in september.

Yay!:D

Yup, I got the same - seems the download cap information earlier in the thread is incorrect. Loving being on UPC!

Can anyone explain this to me as i tried to call them today but was on hold for 25 mins and gave up.

In post today i get a leaflet telling me my CAP??? has increasesd??..my unlimited has increased??

my bill has incresed because i got the FOOD CHANNEL & TRUE MOVIES added but i nevr asked for them???

you've never had an unlimited product, despite what was advertised.

UPC have enforced a 250gb limit per month on the top (unlimited, with a Fair Usage Policy) packages since January 2009.

if you go over that limit you get a letter telling you and a warning that if you keep going over they'll bump you up to the next highest package, then if you do, they upgrade you.

there has been a lot of noise made both on here & to UPC directly (and to comreg) by a lot of members because of the incorrect use of the word unlimited and it seems that after 2 odd years, they have finally heard us and changed their tune.

you never had unlimited, just the illusion of it. if someone says something is unlimited when it's not, if you never actually hit that limit then you don't know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

vibe666 wrote: »
    you've never had an unlimited product, despite what was advertised.

UPC have enforced a 250gb limit per month on the top (unlimited, with a Fair Usage Policy) packages since January 2009.

if you go over that limit you get a letter telling you and a warning that if you keep going over they'll bump you up to the next highest package, then if you do, they upgrade you.

there has been a lot of noise made both on here & to UPC directly (and to comreg) by a lot of members because of the incorrect use of the word unlimited and it seems that after 2 odd years, they have finally heard us and changed their tune.

you never had unlimited, just the illusion of it. if someone says something is unlimited when it's not, if you never actually hit that limit then you don't know any different.

What about increasing me to 25meg from 20 without asking me and increasing price?

I originally had 10 mb which i was very happy with but since 2 years now ive had an increase to 25mg and a price increase in my bill without me asking for it.

Ive a recored of all my speed test done and my internet speed is only a little bit higher than it was two years ago & ive had engineers out telling me its fine...

What Im saying is that they have taken €6 extra a month from customers all over ireland with no visable difference in my internet. I could stream movies, play xbox live just the same 2 years ago than I do today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    Pity all the poor punters who didn't stand up to them and got fleeced

Welcome back Dub45!!! Were you on holidays on wha?:D

What about increasing me to 25meg from 20 without asking me and increasing price?

I originally had 10 mb which i was very happy with but since 2 years now ive had an increase to 25mg and a price increase in my bill without me asking for it.

Ive a recored of all my speed test done and my internet speed is only a little bit higher than it was two years ago & ive had engineers out telling me its fine...

What Im saying is that they have taken €6 extra a month from customers all over ireland with no visable difference in my internet. I could stream movies, play xbox live just the same 2 years ago than I do today.
    you'll find it buried in their T&C's somewhere that they reserve the right to upgrade your packages periodically to keep up with what is currently available.

things change over time and every services based company does it, sky, o2, vodafone eircom etc.

if they didn't do it, they'd still have people paying 50 quid a month for a 1mbps service who'd then suddenly (eventually) realise that other people are getting 100mbps for a couple of quid more and i'm sure you'd complain a lot more about that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Wouldn't it be funny if someone took the "unlimited" term literally and used their 100MB connection all month? download at rates of 12mb/s for 4 weeks :D

Just did a calculation, 31.1 TB of data downloaded. :D (Assuming you had a couple of cousins who had had some big hard drives each)

you may want to look at your letter again mate as the letters are practically photo copied and posted out to all homes. I.e "as of September 5th your broadband usage will increase to 500GB" if you look at the terms of agreement i.e small print you will see the part that says fair usage policy of 250GB now for any normal Jo a few years that might as well have been unlimited as many Wouldn't have exceeded 100Gbs any way. the Unlimited was just there way of saying that. I know I know false advertising but then you look at HDDs that say hey buy 500Gbs and you really get 465gbs

as for your TV channels as **** as they are i mean i can get any movie i want (with in reason on the internet, now even more with the 500GBs TYVM) It clearly states "there is no charge top your monthly price as a result of these changes"

Im not employed by UPC so im not defending them and god knows i have had 27 DVRs all failed on me in 2 different houses so i know how they suck but with all the companys out there Id say UPC are the best of a bad bunch and its about time they decided to cut the wool away from ours eyes and actullty admitted that Unlimited BB does not exist.

BTW assuming you got the same letter every one else did id advise you to read it properly next time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

you may want to look at your letter again mate as the letters are practically photo copied and posted out to all homes. I.e "as of September 5th your broadband usage will increase to 500GB" if you look at the terms of agreement i.e small print you will see the part that says fair usage policy of 250GB now for any normal Jo a few years that might as well have been unlimited as many Wouldn't have exceeded 100Gbs any way. the Unlimited was just there way of saying that. I know I know false advertising but then you look at HDDs that say hey buy 500Gbs and you really get 465gbs

as for your TV channels as **** as they are i mean i can get any movie i want (with in reason on the internet, now even more with the 500GBs TYVM) It clearly states "there is no charge top your monthly price as a result of these changes"

Im not employed by UPC so im not defending them and god knows i have had 27 DVRs all failed on me in 2 different houses so i know how they suck but with all the companys out there Id say UPC are the best of a bad bunch and its about time they decided to cut the wool away from ours eyes and actullty admitted that Unlimited BB does not exist.

BTW assuming you got the same letter every one else did id advise you to read it properly next time lol

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CorkMan wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if someone took the "unlimited" term literally and used their 100MB connection all month? download at rates of 12mb/s for 4 weeks :D

Just did a calculation, 31.1 TB of data downloaded. :D (Assuming you had a couple of cousins who had had some big hard drives each)

I seen an ad for sky broadband and they said their broadband is truely unlimited. I'd love to have it for a few months just to test out how unlimited it really is. :D

I seen an ad for sky broadband and they said their broadband is truely unlimited. I'd love to have it for a few months just to test out how unlimited it really is. :D
    i haven't actually checked, but you can almost guarantee it's only 1mbps or something like that. i don't see them doing a 24mbps unlimited product somehow, although of course i could be wrong. :)

• Advertisement

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    :confused:

what???

what???
    i think he/she may have been casting dispersions on your spelling, grammar & sentence structure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nataliaaaa

I pay 50 euros a month, but now Bill 104 showed up eiro.tas Therefore, as we in the limit is 500 gb. our limit of what should be paid 100, even so we do not have some kind of 70-80gb, it is with cable.so
    My contract is for 100gb, so i do not understand now:confused:. I'm not going to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Why would you pull up a 17 month old thread about data cap change for a high bill that you have recieved?

because this person could not find anywhere for help. If you go over the limit more then once then they will bump you up to the next tariff. BUT they should have contacted you first. Ring them asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

because this person could not find anywhere for help. If you go over the limit more then once then they will bump you up to the next tariff. BUT they should have contacted you first. Ring them asap

I think the point is rather than posting in a 17 month old thread, they should have created a new thread

I think the point is rather than posting in a 17 month old thread, they should have created a new thread

sometimes its hard to get an answer on a new tread with the old tread people are subscribed and get an email reply when some one put up a question that to me is a quicker waqy to get an answer

Advertisement