Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from Sky to UPC?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I'm presently using Sky Satellite TV which I'm very happy with. No problems whatsoever. However, UPC are actively promoting their sevice in my area since they installed fibre-optic cables in the neighbourhood. The financial deal is excellent, much better than what I'm paying Sky at the moment. The offer of a 3-times faster broadband is tempting too, as is the telephone deal.

Can anyone offer any reason as to why I shouldn't change to UPC? I seem to have heard various people at different times complain about one thing or another when UPC was mentioned.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

If your in an upgraded area the UPC service is rock solid.

The TV has a slower guide no interactive and less channels.
    Here is the UPC channel line up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

The broadband and phone are great.

TV multiroom is much cheaper any problems UPC replace the box at no cost to you.
    ESPN HD and Satanta HD part of the basic pack.

UPC offer all 3 services on one bill that is why I stick with them.
    I left Sky 3 years ago and since then I have never had a TV outage with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Ranicand wrote: »
    If your in an upgraded area the UPC service is rock solid.

The TV has a slower guide no interactive and less channels.
    Here is the UPC channel line up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

The broadband and phone are great.

TV multiroom is much cheaper any problems UPC replace the box at no cost to you.
    ESPN HD and Satanta HD part of the basic pack.

UPC offer all 3 services on one bill that is why I stick with them.
    I left Sky 3 years ago and since then I have never had a TV outage with UPC.

ESPN hd is on select extra, not value pack unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

you have to ask yourself do you want value or quality?

value - upc, great broadband, atrocious tv, no interactive, less channels

quality - sky,great tv, great interactive services

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Thanks, folks. I'll weigh up the pro's and con's you've described and see how I feel about things. As I said, Sky Satellite has been a flawless experience, so I'd need to ask myself if I'd be willing to take a chance on UPC even for a better price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Bear in mind Sky are packaging ESPN to be part of the Sky Sports pack saving €12 pm from September.

• Advertisement

sky seem to be constantly improving, free espn now aswell with the sports packs, id say run a mile from upc if you can for tv, i remember reading somewhere they believe there tv is on par with sky, if they think that nothing will improve

get upc broadband do doubt, but seriously consider staying with sky for tv:)

So what is it about tv on UPC that's not great? The fewer channels, no interactive, slow....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gravale wrote: »
    So what is it about tv on UPC that's not great? The fewer channels, no interactive, slow....?

Lack of decent HD channels.

- slow epg on upc v fast on sky
    - slow guide on upc v fast on sky
    - all the itvs (manual tuned but its not that difficult)
    - you keep the box with sky and can use it for freesat, upc take the box back
    - no downgrade fees with sky, upc does 10euro i think
    - customer service with sky is 24/7 if you have any problems with your viewing, upc i think 9-6 Monday- Friday
    -47v10 hd
    - sky will always be the first for new channels usually, upc will be miles behind
    - and the channel diferrence
    - itv's
    - sky atlantic
    - music channels
    - eden
    - sky go(on the pc free)
    - lots more

there just way better:) but it depends on the person:)

Thanks very much for that, everyone. You've been very helpful indeed.

I think that the only reason I'm considering UPC is the financial one. It definitely offers an attractive incentive with its pricing, phone and broadband. However, getting a good price with a lesser tv experience is something I'd have to consider carefully. As I said, Sky through my satellite dish is a flawless experience for me and I'll have to take that into account.

Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that, everyone. You've been very helpful indeed.

I think that the only reason I'm considering UPC is the financial one. It definitely offers an attractive incentive with its pricing, phone and broadband. However, getting a good price with a lesser tv experience is something I'd have to consider carefully. As I said, Sky through my satellite dish is a flawless experience for me and I'll have to take that into account.

Thanks again.:)

broadband is also something to be carefully considered difficult situation to be in, hope you make the right choice, i was in the same situation, went with the bundle with upc tv broadband phone, but after 3 months had to get rid of the tv. The broadband and phone are excellent though:)

So when you got rid of the UPC tv subscription what did you get to replace it?

So when you got rid of the UPC tv subscription what did you get to replace it?

sky. and i must say happy customer:D the difference is unbelieveable!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

I have never had SKY, only UPC. Have no problems whatsoever.
    Have 25MB Broadband and a **** load of TV channels. Cannot imagine needing more.........dont have time to view the ones I have.

Maybe if I had SKY and then UPC I would see the difference but honestly I think UPC is great.

I have heard friends say SKY is better alright but since I never had it I dont miss it.

:-)

all depends on the person......
    if your really into your tv, sky
    and theres no alternative in regards to broadband, you wont get better than upc:)

Good to hear that you're happy with UPC, Wanagetfit. Yes, not everybody has difficulty with UPC, but I read so much on some forums about issues regarding their service and sometimes hardware that it makes me cautious about moving away from something good like Sky. It's just that UPC has a good price package which includes phone and fibre-optic broadband.

Sunny, I didn't realize that you could get the phone and broadband from UPC without getting their TV service?

yeap you can

i've 50mb and phone for 50 euro a month, then you add on whatever calls or you can add on a pack

heres a link to broadband and phone bundles
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

note that new cutomers get half price for two months:)

I checked my Eircom bill this evening and found that I'm paying €30 per month for 8mb broadband and €27 for the phone line (before call charges). Phone and fibre-optic broadband from UPC is the way I'll go as soon as my year's contract with Eircom expires in four weeks.

Thanks for the information.:)

thats good. i wont even comment on eircom, they've no shame, got rid of them too:D

I checked my Eircom bill this evening and found that I'm paying €30 per month for 8mb broadband and €27 for the phone line (before call charges). Phone and fibre-optic broadband from UPC is the way I'll go as soon as my year's contract with Eircom expires in four weeks.

Your 8Mb from Eircom has a 30 gig monthly usage limit.

UPC 12Mb for €25 a month has a 500 gig usage limit from September.

• Advertisement

Your 8Mb from Eircom has a 30 gig monthly usage limit.

UPC 12Mb for €25 a month has a 500 gig usage limit from September.

do you know what date in september?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    do you know what date in september?

The 5th.

The 5th.

doesnt the 12mb go up to 20mb and 500gb usage or am i wrong?
    then 1mb go to 12mb?

doesnt the 12mb go up to 20mb and 500gb usage or am i wrong?
    then 1mb go to 12mb?

Yes the 12 does go up to 20 on that date.

The usage is the best part however.

I could never use 500GB in a month but at least I know I can relax and not worry about going over the limit.

The Eircom 30GB limit is a joke.

Yes the 12 does go up to 20 on that date.

The usage is the best part however.

I could never use 500GB in a month but at least I know I can relax and not worry about going over the limit.

The Eircom 30GB limit is a joke.

im on 50, but was on 12 before, that i download a lot so 120 wasnt enough, ive 2 weeks left of the 50mb and ill go back down to 12 again, because i dont see a difference in the speed just download limit, its super fast anyway, it shouldnt be a problem downgrading in 2 weeks should it, id still get the 12 going to 20mb 500gb on 5 september?

And yes eircom are a joke, suprised there still in existence

im on 50, but was on 12 before, that i download a lot so 120 wasnt enough, ive 2 weeks left of the 50mb and ill go back down to 12 again, because i dont see a difference in the speed just download limit, its super fast anyway, it shouldnt be a problem downgrading in 2 weeks should it, id still get the 12 going to 20mb 500gb on 5 september?

And yes eircom are a joke, suprised there still in existence

Yes but you will have to pay the downgrade charge.

Not sure if it's 10 or 20 Euro.

Yes but you will have to pay the downgrade charge.

Not sure if it's 10 or 20 Euro.

ok thats no prob, i thought you might have to be on the 12 over a month or something

but happy days!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Just check with UPC if they have phone in your area. They do not in mine, otherwise i would have got phone with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Best thing to do is tell us what package and what you pay at the moment and we compare it to UPC, been with UPC for 7 months now. The only reason Im with them is that HD is cheap and the channels I want (EPSN, ESPN America, Sky SPorts News, Eurosport, Setanta) are all on the middle package €32 a month! I was with SKy before and I really do miss it! If I were you Id stick with Sky, if you are paying €10/15 extra a month I would stick, if its a case of you paying €20/25 extra a month then yes maybe its worth moving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is another reason to stick with Sky. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056330548

No interactive service on UPC is a pain especially for match choice during Champions League.

You can also get Sky free on your laptop,Xbox and iPad/iPhone.Get UPC broadband on it's own and keep Sky for tv-best of both worlds.

Advertisement