Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

riped off..quickly need advice, can i cancel ownership ?

• 21-07-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

some guy ripped me off to the tune of 950 last night for a vehicle sold, he seemed like a decent chap, told me a yarn about getting pulled daily also about tax in his village, so much so he begged me for the log book so he could tax himself first thing in the moring, me being the too easy and a nice fool gave it to him, got home and realised was short changed 950

what can i do, i have a name and number an idea where's he from, a google of his number brings up he's a bit of a car dealer. thats all the info i can get on him...
    can i cancel the change of ownership and do something before he taxes it and "invests" money in it, ive rang him and text him, getting no reply

but i need to move fast..should i go to the gaurds ?

Comments

You didn't check the money on the spot?
    Fairly difficult to prove you were shortchanged really, it would be analgous to not checking your change before leaving the counter, mistakes cannot be rectified later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Did you just give him the car without taking any money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Go to the Gards, but you gave him the tax book and you never counted the money. Two major mistakes. You won't get your 950 back, little doubt about that, but you should definitely talkto them about the tax book, you never know what that cowboy will do with your car, and you're responsible for it as you're the legal owner still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

iPwnage wrote: »
    some guy ripped me off to the tune of 950 last night for a vehicle sold, he seemed like a decent chap, told me a yarn about getting pulled daily also about tax in his village, so much so he begged me for the log book so he could tax himself first thing in the moring, me being the too easy and a nice fool gave it to him, got home and realised was short changed 950

what can i do, i have a name and number an idea where's he from, a google of his number brings up he's a bit of a car dealer. thats all the info i can get on him...
    can i cancel the change of ownership and do something before he taxes it and "invests" money in it, ive rang him and text him, getting no reply

Um... you didn't count the cash? Sounds like tough luck.

Also, you've broken the law by giving him the log book. If you have no name and address for him you're in a tight spot.

I was in the local station getting my passport form stamped a few months back and there was a girl complaining about a speeding notice for a car she 'sold'. More it went on, it turned out she'd only been given half the money for the car, it was a friend of a friend but she didn't know where the other girl lived, and she'd handed over the log book so the other girl could tax the car. The Garda on duty was warning her that there's up to 5K fine, told her to go track down the girl and take possession of the car, as it was still legally hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What ever about the cash, the fact that you gave him the logbook means you will get some hassle coming your way. If he is a bit of a dealer, he is not going to change it to his name until sold on. You are open to all sorts of crap in the mean time if they are driving it around.
    The fact that it appears that he sells a few cars should mean that he is easily traced. It would be worse if he just had a mobile with no history and then just turned it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

tbh ive been stupid i counted 2200 instead of 3200..wtf :mad: i wasnt thinking what ever came over me

well he's just rang me back, and we discussed it, he has money left over, but he reckons he would of had that anyway..he had bought another van earlier in the day.. he says leave it with him and he'll go over his figures,
    fingers crossed, if he come forward and is honest i will reward him, otherwise i'm goosed !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

tbh ive been stupid i counted 2200 instead of 3200..wtf :mad: i wasnt thinking what ever came over me

well he's just rang me back, and we discussed it, he has money left over, but he reckons he would of had that anyway..he had bought another van earlier in the day.. he says leave it with him and he'll go over his figures,
    fingers crossed, if he come forward and is honest i will reward him, otherwise i'm goosed !!

Maybe I am wrong. I probably am but can you not just report the log book lost and the vehicle stolen if he short changed you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He can. But that sort of advice might not sit well with the mods on this forum. I've seen them frown about less.

I see it as two simple roads.

A) Hope he comes back with your money. If not , live and learn.
    B) Threaten him. Do everything to get your money and be a real ass about it. Harder you make his life the more he might want to pay you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

id agree with the above, give him the oppertunity to set it right as he may well be genuine. If not go with option B and make his life a living hell untill you get what your due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

And do NOT reward him if he comes back with the money... jesus.

By taking the logbook and you pointing him out as being a bit of a buyer/seller, he's blatantly looking to sell the car on without registering it under his own name. This is a really shady practice.

Whether or not he accidentally left you short of a third of the money you had agreed on... nobody knows.
    I just cannot believe 2 people could miscalculate so much money...

• Advertisement

Vertakill wrote: »
    And do NOT reward him if he comes back with the money... jesus.

By taking the logbook and you pointing him out as being a bit of a buyer/seller, he's blatantly looking to sell the car on without registering it under his own name. This is a really shady practice.

Whether or not he accidentally left you short of a third of the money you had agreed on... nobody knows.
    I just cannot believe 2 people could miscalculate so much money...

i know, im the bigger fool, how do you think i feel !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

some guy ripped me off to the tune of 950 last night for a vehicle sold, he seemed like a decent chap, told me a yarn about getting pulled daily also about tax in his village, so much so he begged me for the log book so he could tax himself first thing in the moring,

You were setup, he can't tax the car until he is the registered owner, he wanted the logbook so that you had no comeback on him. You are supposed to fill in his name on the logbook and send it to Shannon. He now has the car and can drive it through the M50 and clock up speeding and parking tickets and they will arrive on your doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ring him, demand your money or threaten further action.

He's clearly a lying bastard, there are loads of legal, fair ways to sort him out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If it's cash it's one persons word against the other. Very messy and hard to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

He can. But that sort of advice might not sit well with the mods on this forum. I've seen them frown about less.

It wasnt my intention to advocate dishonesty.

I should have clarified what I meant.

Could the being left short not be construe as "Theft by Deception"

I'm being a bit pedantic probably but there could be grounds in there.

Reporting the Log Book as lost however would need some clarity when reporting to An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah sorry I get ya.

Well I at least he should feel a bit better now. It's always nice hearing you have options when you think you have none.

Hope he keeps us posted on how it all goes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Do a regular goggle of his number, and select the recent time options. He could already have it up for sale.

Also, if things don't work out and the Gardai aren't interested, maybe the Revenue would be?

delly wrote: »
    .......maybe the Revenue would be?

If he doesn't play ball a mention of that to him might be worth a try. He may come good anyway though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

first thing I would do is ring Shannon... get there advice on getting the car out of your name asap....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Before you make a complete tit of yourself....is there any chance that you droped the 950???....Like even a tiny chance?

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    first thing I would do is ring Shannon... get there advice on getting the car out of your name asap....

Local ombudsman + form = Ok. It's not a hard to claim no responsibility for a situation like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

You never know, the Guards might be able to deal with it. My brother got caught by a messy lad who bought his old 190. While the buyer was "filling in the licensing certificate", his girlfriend distracted my brother by asking questions about the stereo. The buyer then handed my bro a sealed envelope, with a stamp on it and told him the form was all filled out and ready to post to Shannon. He even offered to post it. But my bro said he would post it himself.
    A few hours later, my brothers gears got turning and he opened the envelope, nothing inside except a bit of newspaper in there. He went to the local Gardai, gave a description of the buyer and his girlfriend, the buyers vehicle (he even remembered the reg), his 190, and the guards had enough to track him down and "assist" him with the transfer of ownership!:P

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Before you make a complete tit of yourself....is there any chance that you droped the 950???....Like even a tiny chance?

lol no !! i actually remembering counting 2200 and not 3200, whatever the fook i was thinking, sure your man said nothing.... $$ signs in his eyes I guess !!

I AM A TIT tho lol :D

look Im an honest person, and i believe what goes around comes around ! ...eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lol no !! i actually remembering counting 2200 and not 3200, whatever the fook i was thinking, sure your man said nothing.... $$ signs in his eyes I guess !!

I AM A TIT tho lol :D

look Im an honest person, and i believe what goes around comes around ! ...eventually
    How exactly did this happen? Did he hand you 2200 instead of 3200 after you had both agreed on a price of 3200? Did you count it in front of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd start off by being nice and calm and polite with him, hoping he realises his mistake.

As soon as you start threatening him or making his life hard he'll get his back up and you'll have a fight on your hands.

Only escalate it once he's said "I definitely don't have your money, I'm not giving you anything".

Anan1 wrote: »
    How exactly did this happen? Did he hand you 2200 instead of 3200 after you had both agreed on a price of 3200? Did you count it in front of him?

This is what I'm getting at in my last post.

It's one thing for one person to mess up when it comes to money... but for both parties... it's just very odd.
    Especially when you factor in the whole logbook fiasco.

Sounds like your man spotted you as a nice honest chap and thought you might say 'Ah sure I don't need to count it, I trust you.' or something and knowingly left out some money.

Obviously I hope I'm completely off base here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I always make someone count the money in front of me when I'm paying for something to avoid situation like this.

I also politely tell them why I count it in front of them when they buy something from me also.

I'd go and ask for the balance to be paid OP but I wouldn't be surprised if you are told to sling your hook elsewhere

Anan1 wrote: »
    we were **** talkin for a good while, he brought it for a drive etc, he's a mechanic he said, he was oily, i believed him, seem to know what he was talking about (grooming me maybe lol :D) haggled for a good bit, i had it advertised for 4k, 04 vw transporter 2.5tdi, i was a carpenter for years, Im 31, i'm just finished first yr as a mature student in UL, long story short, we agreed on 3200 and id give him luck penny, we jumped into the van, i sat at drivers side, he stood at passenger door, threw me a ball of 50's and said ive more here, and he started to fill out the change of ownership form.....what ever i was thinknig, i cant explain it, i was flustered, i counted out 2200 in my head and gave back 20 there wasnt much left from the wad he gave me, he would of had another 1000 on him....yes im the biggest idiot, i was with him nearly an hour at this tage, my missus and 3 year old were in car beside waiting,...i was counting the 50's in two's 1..(100) 2..(200) etc...i can clearly remember counting 18..19 stopping at 20 (2000) giving him 20 back....thats was the end of the cash, he had more, as he told me, but sure here is where i ****ed up... cant stress enough how upset i am with myself, my missus is freaked as youd expect, supportive but come on its a 1000 bucks, the money was to go towards my college fees in sept which have risen to 2k, thank you finna fail
    -Chris- wrote: »
    I'd start off by being nice and calm and polite with him, hoping he realises his mistake.

As soon as you start threatening him or making his life hard he'll get his back up and you'll have a fight on your hands.

Only escalate it once he's said "I definitely don't have your money, I'm not giving you anything".
    ya totally agree, ive not one way aggresive, its not in me, and i know im going to lose out now because of this..
    Vertakill wrote: »
    This is what I'm getting at in my last post.

It's one thing for one person to mess up when it comes to money... but for both parties... it's just very odd.
    Especially when you factor in the whole logbook fiasco.

Sounds like your man spotted you as a nice honest chap and thought you might say 'Ah sure I don't need to count it, I trust you.' or something and knowingly left out some money.

Obviously I hope I'm completely off base here!
    he didnt count anything...LESSON learnt, he threw me a wad of cash i counted it, i had 22 in my head, not 3200...Ive my hand up, i know i made the **** up, i cant explain it, blonde or what, Im an ex chippy turned software developer, I have some smarts ! lol, they failed me unexpliciply last night
    johnos1984 wrote: »
    I always make someone count the money in front of me when I'm paying for something to avoid situation like this.

I also politely tell them why I count it in front of them when they buy something from me also.

I'd go and ask for the balance to be paid OP but I wouldn't be surprised if you are told to sling your hook elsewhere
    i agree mate, lesson learnt

sorry for the big yarn..ive been drowning my sorrows tonight :D

I know how you feel.
    Sometimes in these situations you can get flustered and end up rushing things in the hopes of getting the deal over and done with.

Hope it pans out for you anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

3200 - 2200 = 1000 yet the OP claims to be short 950???

Please tell me you didn't give him €50 "Luck money" on top of this foul up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Banks not giving out, or hardly giving out, notes above €50 isnt helping situations like this either.
    A wad of €3000 in 50's is as thick as the weekend newspaper and much easier to make counting mistakes.
    Add in a "nice" chap who keeps talking while you are counting and there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Something similar happened yesterday, I just sold my commercial 4x4 but the buyer was adament that he keep the log book, started spouting something about it not being necessary for me to fill it out as it was a commercial vehicle been sold between trades and that it was very unusual for the seller to be the one to send it off anyway. He kept questioning me as to why I wanted to keep it.

Obviously I wouldnt give it to him and insisted that he fill it out there and then. He didnt want to fill it out but I did get a date of sale, signiture, phone number and address but he wouldnt fill in the name as he said he wasnt sure whether he was putting it in his name or the business name.

Anyway I thought it was abit strange but the cash is real or at least counterfit to a standard that I can get rid of (wife checked it with the pen.) I held on to the DOE cert but it is taxed until next year.

Does this ring any alarm bells with anyone or can anyone explain why they did this?

Either a trader or doesn't want the Jeep in his name for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Slig wrote: »
    Something similar happened yesterday, I just sold my commercial 4x4 but the buyer was adament that he keep the log book, started spouting something about it not being necessary for me to fill it out as it was a commercial vehicle been sold between trades and that it was very unusual for the seller to be the one to send it off anyway. He kept questioning me as to why I wanted to keep it.

Obviously I wouldnt give it to him and insisted that he fill it out there and then. He didnt want to fill it out but I did get a date of sale, signiture, phone number and address but he wouldnt fill in the name as he said he wasnt sure whether he was putting it in his name or the business name.

At this point I would refuse to go through with the sale, you'd have to be somewhat suspicious as to why he insisted on having the logbook. I'd tell him "sorry mate, deal is off" simple as that. It doesn't matter who he says he is whether he's a dealer or otherwise.

Shouldn't of went through with the sale, get onto your local ombudsman and delcare the jeep sold and no longer in your possesion. Check the money first of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont know how much you need the cash of that sale but i would have asked him to come back when he has made up his mind as it comes to registering it to his own name or the business name.

inforfun wrote: »
    Dont know how much you need the cash of that sale but i would have asked him to come back when he has made up his mind as it comes to registering it to his own name or the business name.

Personally, I like doing things by the book but I've been trying to sell this vehicle for about 3 months now and he was the only one to come near the asking price (or the vehicle for that matter.) I needed the sale fairly badly so he pretty much had me over a barrel.

I was on to him today and he asked that I wait until this evening, so 5 o'clock I'll see what happens. All else fails I'll just fill in his name on the logbook and post it off.

I was on to him today and he asked that I wait until this evening, so 5 o'clock I'll see what happens. All else fails I'll just fill in his name on the logbook and post it off.
    I thought you gave the VLC to him.

It's not too bad if you still have it. You can put Mickey Mouse as the new owner if you want.

Personally, I like doing things by the book but I've been trying to sell this vehicle for about 3 months now and he was the only one to come near the asking price (or the vehicle for that matter.) I needed the sale fairly badly so he pretty much had me over a barrel.

Oh you still have the logbook? I thought you'd given it to him! All is well, maybe he's using it as a kinda warranty? I'd just post anyway and make sure yesterdays date is on it.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I thought you gave the VLC to him.

It's not too bad if you still have it. You can put Mickey Mouse as the new owner if you want.

Not really too familiar with this whole car buying process, I have ever only really bought cars off garages or family and tend to keep my cars for a couple of years when I do buy.

TBH if I wasnt just after buying a car myself a couple of weeks ago and seeing how adament the seller was about keeping the VLC himself I probably would have been convinced by this lad last night to hand it over.

He really sounded like he knew his stuff and gave the jeep a real good going over for about 2 hours. He found fluid on the sump guard and insisted on calling a local mechanic to have a look. I knew it was only wd40 as I was just after replacing some worn parts underneath but he wasnt satisfied with my excuse, even with the shiny new parts on view.

I'm kinda thinking myself that it was for some sort of insurance as the first thing he did today was bring it into the garage to get a full work over (he seems to be replacing every single part that "the experte" say gives trouble on a Terrano.) Seems 80K miles on the clock, full service history and a 12 month DOE from the day before werent convincing enough.

Just really wanted to see if anyone could think of a more sinister reason for his behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

To the op, was he a big fat guy? My missus nearly got ripped off by this big fat guy claiming to be a mechanic. He sold her a corsa in the kilmurry lodge carpark, and it had no rear seat belts(had been cut with a scissors) and was due the nct.The missus only bought it on the grounds that he was going to fix the belts. We had his number and he said he would come back in a few days to fix the seat belts. So few days later, rang the number and no answer.

To cut a long story short, this guy changes his sim once a week to avoid paying tax, as he sells quite a few cars privately(often advertised on the limerick post).Turned out my dad knew of this guy and nearly killed us for having anything to do with him. So everyday for a few days i went out to the lodge carpark with the missus and eventually spotted the b@stard. He was sitting there on the phone in another car, and nearly lost his life when i dramatically pulled the car in front of his for effect. Got the new number from him and he promised to come up the next day and fix the belts. Anyway that didn't happen so my dad had to pass on a msg to him and he eventually came out to fix them.
    Op you said you were out in ul and i have a feeling this is the same cnut. Don't know anything about him except he is from shannon and is NOT a mechanic. He is big, fat and dirty and has a accent that isn't local and has a history of ripping people off.

If this rings any bells, i would suggest looking in the limerick post for any repeating mobile numbers. He had about 4 or 5 different cars on the post the week we had to deal with him. If the same number is on a few different cars, it would be worth checking out.

I hate these cnuts, money is too hard to come by these days without sneaky fookers like this trying to con people.

To the mods, i haven't mentioned any names and there are plenty of fat people in shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    To the mods, i haven't mentioned any names and there are plenty of fat people in shannon.

:D:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I sold my written off car to a dealer who took the registration/change over documents off me with the car.
    I thought nothing more about it until after a few cmonths I received a road tax renewal notice, so I wrote to the Motor Tax office to say that I no longer owned the vehichle.
    No way would they take the car out of my name without the change over document, I had to get an Affidavit from my solicitor to put in my file for the car in the tax office, but they still would not remove my name. Always fill in the change and send it off yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

DanWall wrote: »
    I sold my written off car to a dealer who took the registration/change over documents off me with the car.
    I thought nothing more about it until after a few cmonths I received a road tax renewal notice, so I wrote to the Motor Tax office to say that I no longer owned the vehichle.
    No way would they take the car out of my name without the change over document, I had to get an Affidavit from my solicitor to put in my file for the car in the tax office, but they still would not remove my name. Always fill in the change and send it off yourself

You cant fill it in if your trading into a reputable dealer with a tan number
    but one word of advice never trade in a car with tax as these are the ones most likely to be lent out or used by the garage and of course any tickets / fines will come your way but should be easy to sort out but still a hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Darsad wrote: »
    You cant fill it in if your trading into a reputable dealer with a tan number
    but one word of advice never trade in a car with tax as these are the ones most likely to be lent out or used by the garage and of course any tickets / fines will come your way but should be easy to sort out but still a hassle

No, but in the case of trading it in to a dealer, rather than signing the back of the VLC, you'll be asked to sign a "change of ownership to a motor dealer" form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    To the op, was he a big fat guy? My missus nearly got ripped off by this big fat guy claiming to be a mechanic. He sold her a corsa in the kilmurry lodge carpark, and it had no rear seat belts(had been cut with a scissors) and was due the nct.The missus only bought it on the grounds that he was going to fix the belts. We had his number and he said he would come back in a few days to fix the seat belts. So few days later, rang the number and no answer.

To cut a long story short, this guy changes his sim once a week to avoid paying tax, as he sells quite a few cars privately(often advertised on the limerick post).Turned out my dad knew of this guy and nearly killed us for having anything to do with him. So everyday for a few days i went out to the lodge carpark with the missus and eventually spotted the b@stard. He was sitting there on the phone in another car, and nearly lost his life when i dramatically pulled the car in front of his for effect. Got the new number from him and he promised to come up the next day and fix the belts. Anyway that didn't happen so my dad had to pass on a msg to him and he eventually came out to fix them.
    Op you said you were out in ul and i have a feeling this is the same cnut. Don't know anything about him except he is from shannon and is NOT a mechanic. He is big, fat and dirty and has a accent that isn't local and has a history of ripping people off.

If this rings any bells, i would suggest looking in the limerick post for any repeating mobile numbers. He had about 4 or 5 different cars on the post the week we had to deal with him. If the same number is on a few different cars, it would be worth checking out.

I hate these cnuts, money is too hard to come by these days without sneaky fookers like this trying to con people.

reading this now

LMAO ...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

what ever happend this~?

Advertisement