Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Age

• 21-07-2011 10:37am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Forgive me and correct me if I get these facts and figures wrong.
    10,000 years ago, global temperatures rose by an average of 7 degrees over a period of 15 years. It was enough to bring about the extinction of a humanoid form (Neanderthal man).
    Our times have seen a long period of relative climate stability - how would we cope with such a temperature change and the consequent rise in sea levels?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm fairly sure that the Neanderthal 'Extinction event' is put at about 25000BC

the rising sea level issue may be an interesting angle on the disaperarance of the Neanderthals, From What I understand we Modern Humans are a LOT less hairy than the Neanderthals were, this apprently had something to do with us developing and maintaining the ability to swim, now the Neanderthals were hairy cos they lived in the Ice, so no great need for swimming in their evolution.

So of all the differences between the Modern human and the Neanderthal, in a world flooded by temperate waters the Modern human suddenly has a massive advantage over its bigger stronger cousin, meaning that we win all the food whilst they either starve or drown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Isn't there a theory that modern man's brain developed more rapidly (but not in size/volume) because he began to eat fish? This could tie in with your theory on hairlessness.
    Must say I wouldn't have fancied going for a dip back then.

Sounds plausible, Fish is a high source of Protien, I Was thinkin about this, all the Ice in the Iceage had been water previously, probably on the savanahs of our ancestors, the Iceage meant that both groups of humans could now move a lot further, Our lot not havin to swim as much and the Neanderthals having a Much larger IceSheet to roam about on, this would suit the Neanderthals initially as we werent as well adapted to the cold, however making a Coat from a Wolly mammoth requires a lot less evolution than learning to swim. So when the Ice melted We were better prepared for it.

that and As i said the ability to swim meant that We could outcompete the Neanderthals for diminishing food resoursces

I wonder which Group invented Boats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

slowburner wrote: »
    Forgive me and correct me if I get these facts and figures wrong.
    10,000 years ago, global temperatures rose by an average of 7 degrees over a period of 15 years. It was enough to bring about the extinction of a humanoid form (Neanderthal man).
    Our times have seen a long period of relative climate stability - how would we cope with such a temperature change and the consequent rise in sea levels?

Im not sure that neanderthal man who had survived 500,000 years in europe under varying conditions would have been wiped out by a 7 degree rise in heat but who knows, good theory!

I know it jars a bit iitially, but you have to consider this as a theoretical exercise

Something caused the Neandertrhal Extinction, that much we know, owing to the lack of Neanderthals kickin about today ( lets leave the Jokes about GAA lovin farmers for another thread;))

Current 'Climatoligists' are warning Doom and Gloom for everyone based on a projected rise of only 4 Degrees over a century , so Seven Degrees over a decade or two would really really F*ck thiungs up

Unfortunatley we know little about the lives of either group, we do know that the Neanderthals lived in smaller communities, we hypothesise based on evidence that they were Hunter Gatherers and that they were territorial.

whatever the diferences between the two groups there must have been at least one Decisive factor that enabled one group (Us) to prosper whilst the other Faced an extinction event

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not sure that neanderthal man who had survived 500,000 years in europe under varying conditions would have been wiped out by a 7 degree rise in heat but who knows, good theory!
    It's a colossal degree of climate change with colossal effects. The theory is not mine - I'm not that smart, I just watch too many archaeology programmes on the box. The one which prompted this was about Doggerland ;)
    I think it is a fairly well accepted view as to what happened to the hairy fellas.
    Sea levels at the moment, are rising by about 2mm per year around the world due to global warming and the consequent melting of the polar ice sheets. To see evidence of the effect, you only need to take a trip along the Irish East coast - the sea has already claimed many houses and many more are on the edge. I helped to push the remains of a chalet over the edge around twenty years ago and I can remember when that chalet was about 20 metres in from the shoreline. And that is over a relatively long period - I can't say how long for sure.
    The sea level rise must have been catastrophic. It was enough to completely submerge an entire land mass between the UK and Denmark (Doggerland).
    A little info about the last surviving Neanderthals (so far discovered) can be found here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm fairly sure that the Neanderthal 'Extinction event' is put at about 25000BC
    That's the current figure on best evidence alright.
    the rising sea level issue may be an interesting angle on the disaperarance of the Neanderthals, From What I understand we Modern Humans are a LOT less hairy than the Neanderthals were,
    The thing is we simply don't know how hairy they or indeed we were at that time. Modern Euroepans are the hairiest modern humans and may well have been equally or more hairy back then. Neandertals were likely hairy alright. If they weren't they were the only large mammal not to be in ice age conditions. That said they didn't roam about on ice like heavily built eskimos. A common notion reproduced in pictures and movies. They stayed well below the ice line, retreating as it advanced and vice versa. They were mostly a tundra and forest people. They could also survive and thrive in warmer climes as they did in southern Europe and in the Levant. More to the point they were around in Eurasia for the guts of 200,000 years(ans their related forebears for nigh on 800,000 years). Through many ice ages and interglacials and flood events and volcanoes and climate shifts and they survived and thrived. They were well used to fluctuating temps long before we showed up. Indeed they were more used to them than we were.
    So of all the differences between the Modern human and the Neanderthal, in a world flooded by temperate waters the Modern human suddenly has a massive advantage over its bigger stronger cousin, meaning that we win all the food whilst they either starve or drown.
    Well Neandertals ate fish and even seals and dolphins so water doesn't seem to have troubled them that much. All of the previously held notions about how different they were to us keeps getting chipped away. Which makes their disappearance all the more odd and hard to figure out.
    I wonder which Group invented Boats??
    That's an interesting one. The recently discovered Flores "Hobbits" who appear to be a dwarf Erectus made it to Flores a million years or so ago. There was no land bridge and they had to navigate very strong currents, so it's very likely they used some sort of water vehicle. Erectus stone tools have been found on Crete which is out of sight of land, so they had to have had some sort of water transportation too and that's 800,000 years ago, long before us and indeed Neandertals. They would have used wood(bone and skins) in any construction and 800,000 year old wood and the like is going to be very rare indeed to find. With archaic humans all we find in the vast majority of cases is their tools and even more rarely their remains. Stones and bones. There is likely a huge amount of stuff they used that never ended up preserved except in really rare circumstances. IE European Homo Erectus wooden spear 400,000 years old IIRC. And they were advanced throwing spears to boot. Way more than had been thought. Canoes or decent rafts probably were used, but unless someone gets really lucky sadly we may never know. And it is sad, because we have such a tiny window into their culture and skills and trials and triumphs of those magnificent buggers. I'd give a year off my life to sit face to face and be able to talk to a Neandertal. A well fed one just to be safe and Id want to be armed to the effin teeth with some big bore handgun or better yet a taser. Just in case like. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    ......I'd give a year off my life to sit face to face and be able to talk to a Neandertal. A well fed one just to be safe and Id want to be armed to the effin teeth with some big bore handgun or better yet a taser. Just in case like. :D
    That's some image - Father Jack with a gun and a taser having a chat with a well fed Neanderthal. Sharing a bottle of pine disinfectant, no doubt :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Haven't they been trying to document neanderthal genome these last few years? Wonder if we interbred with them?

Haven't they been trying to document neanderthal genome these last few years? Wonder if we interbred with them?
    Me too.

• Advertisement

European and asian peoples did interbreed with them of that were fairly certain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Up to 4% Neandertal DNA in non African populations and more in Europe and the near east. In the far east another archaic Human left it's DNA with them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

heres something I posted before
    And some different Species in Asia and the Pacific Islands.

In the news recently it has been announced that Scientists can track 2 Separate intebreeding/divergences in Human evolution

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=10575837

444295-neandertal.jpg

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/neandertal-genetics-study-shows-theres-a-caveman-in-us-all/story-e6frg6n6-1225863446398

still not sure about the cutoff for Neanderthals tho

From what I gather that 2% figure is out of date. It's more like 4% and as the article points out they've only got 60 odd% of Neandertal DNA sequenced so far and from just three individuals. That's a tiny sample size. There may be even more of their DNA knocking about in modern Europeans and near Eastern peoples. I would suspect there is. IIRC they've retrieved some DNA from Spanish samples. I wonder if they show any links outside of the middle east Neandertal/Sapiens jiggerypokery? Africans(and therefore the rest of humanity) probably has even older sequences, but finding ancient DNA in the African environment is going to be tough I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Up to 4% Neandertal DNA in non African populations and more in Europe and the near east. In the far east another archaic Human left it's DNA with them.
    I don't understand this. I was listening to an audio book called 'The Rise of Humans' (€90 The Great Courses) and the author Professor John Hawks makes a similar point though he says 3%. John Hawks comes from a multiregionalist background (he was a student of Wolpoff's) but I don't think that this admixture is evidence of Multiregionalism/
    1. I thought that humans shared 98% of our dna with chimpanzees though so I don't understand the 3% / 4% of Neanderthal admixture.
    2. Is it a terminology issue is it the case that humans share 98% of our DNA with chimps and 3% of the remaining 2% of DNA is Neanderthal?
    3. Couldn't there also be Neanderthal DNA in African populations but because it is also in European, South Asian and East Asian populations it is 'invisible'.
    4. Could there be other fairly recent additions of DNA from Archaics before we left Africa but AFTER the Great Leap Forward.

Let's allow the Great Leap Forward idea as being true for a second. Doesn't that mean that early Fully Modern Humans were interbreeding with archaics who were incredibly primitive, couldn't speak, didn't transmit knowledge etc.

Isn't that a bit weird?

I don't understand this. I was listening to an audio book called 'The Rise of Humans' (€90 The Great Courses) and the author Professor John Hawks makes a similar point though he says 3%. John Hawks comes from a multiregionalist background (he was a student of Wolpoff's) but I don't think that this admixture is evidence of Multiregionalism/
      1. I thought that humans shared 98% of our dna with chimpanzees though so I don't understand the 3% / 4% of Neanderthal admixture.
      2. Is it a terminology issue is it the case that humans share 98% of our DNA with chimps and 3% of the remaining 2% of DNA is Neanderthal?
      3. Couldn't there also be Neanderthal DNA in African populations but because it is also in European, South Asian and East Asian populations it is 'invisible'.
      4. Could there be other fairly recent additions of DNA from Archaics before we left Africa but AFTER the Great Leap Forward.

Let's allow the Great Leap Forward idea as being true for a second. Doesn't that mean that early Fully Modern Humans were interbreeding with archaics who were incredibly primitive, couldn't speak, didn't transmit knowledge etc.

Isn't that a bit weird?

When people talk about sharing DNA they dont mean 90% of our dna is from a chimp, 5% is from neanderthal and 5% is relatively new. They usually mean that we have dna in common with a chimp as we do with every other living thing on this planet to an extent.

Regarding the mating with our more archaic cousins some scientists beleived human rape by neanderthals could have been involved.

No but it is evidence against the pure out of africa replacement model.
        I suppose it could be like blonde hair. Africans don't have that gene, it's a local European adaptation/mutation. The Neandertal mutations would also be local/novel mutations. Like if you found the gene for blonde hair in a bloke from Nairobi, it would be evidence that somewhere in his past his ancestors got jiggy with a European blonde.

Isn't that a bit weird?
        Well for a start I don't believe in the "great leap forward" idea anyway. It's way too simplistic IMHO. It's not as if one day, out of the blue we are somehow "blessed" and bang we have complex culture. It's much more a slow progression, with the odd innovation transmitting rapidly because of higher populations. Even today it's not that simple. We have fully modern humans living in the "stone age" and others, sometimes in the same country watching telly and playing WoW online.

Plus I don't buy that archaics were incredibly primitive. People forget that when we left Africa for the first time we borrowed the tool technology of the Neandertals we met(Mousterian). They invented it and it was better than our African toolkit at the time. It's also not easy to do. Trust me I've tried and it takes some skill. I'd be stuck in the back of the cave with the crosseyed slow kid. I've collected Neandertal tools over the years and some show serious skill and forethought. Some don't, which shows like us some were more talented than others.

There is some evidence of Neandertal symbolic culture in Europe before they met us. They buried their dead, cared for the sick and disabled, sometimes for decades and invented the first "synthetic" substance in the form of birch pitch anerobically heated in quite a complex process needing very narrow temperatures until it formed a very strong glue. Earlier Neandertals also buried their dead in mass graves after preparing the bodies in some way. And while they were at it purposely deposited a very fine and unused handaxe into said pit. This was 300,000 years ago. Handaxes appear to have sometimes been cultural items. Among the vast number found the odd one shows far more attention than required as a tool. Some appear to have symbolic power. I have a mousterian one that may show this. They also have the first wooden spears we know of, again at 300,000 years ago and they were throwing spears. Long distance killing long before we came along. Primitive they were not, or not as primitive or distant from us when we first met. And they spoke. They had the same hyoid bone as us and the same FOX gene for speech. They may not have had the full range of sounds we can use, but dumb they weren't.

Further back? Erectus undertook sea voyages beyond sight of land, sometimes across treacherous currents(it's how they got to Flores and Crete).

While Erectus would appear very primitive to a modern urban human, I suspect he probably wouldn't appear that primitive to a modern hunter gatherer. A neandertal certainly wouldn't. EG modern native Australians have an incredibly dense and complex mental/spiritual culture, but their stone tools were often not as complex compared to those of Neandertals. Fully modern Andaman islanders when first encountered didn't know how to make fire. They collected it(lightning strikes etc) and stored it as embers, but make it they could not. Neandertals could.
        steddyeddy wrote:
        Regarding the mating with our more archaic cousins some scientists beleived human rape by neanderthals could have been involved.
        I'm sure it went on, but given the amount of DNA particularly from the Denisovan archaics in modern south east Asian populations there's just too much of it. The "neandertal rape" hypothesis is a bit daily mail for me and I've yet to see a serious scientist say it. Any links S?

I don't think that this admixture is evidence of Multiregionalism
        No but it is evidence against the pure out of africa replacement model.
        It is definitely proof unvarnished proof I would say rather than just evidence that there is some non homo sapiens sapiens blood in Europeans. I am not sure that it invalidates the Out of Africa hypothesis (cards on the table Out of Africa makes intuitive sense to me and no doubt that creates a bias). Out of Africa merely says that we evolved in Africa; I don't think it rules out some gene flow back from the archaic populations.
        I suppose it could be like blonde hair. Africans don't have that gene, it's a local European adaptation/mutation.
        I have thought about white skin and red/blonde hair but apparently
        Thus Neandertals and Homo sapiens in Europe followed independent evolutionary paths to a similar phenotype

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yvjCaxe2IvEJ:www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1917675/posts

Also what is meant by this quantification of the amount of Neanderthal DNA? And how do we know that Africans don't have Neandrthal genes that flowed down from North Africa?

Well for a start I don't believe in the "great leap forward" idea anyway. It's way too simplistic IMHO. It's not as if one day, out of the blue we are somehow "blessed" and bang we have complex culture.
        That's basically what I believe. A light goes on and you have abstraction and imagination and from that your capacity to speak and remember skyrockets people develope symbologies and taboos and 100 years later you're 'the people'.

Plus I don't buy that archaics were incredibly primitive. People forget that when we left Africa for the first time we borrowed the tool technology of the Neandertals we met(Mousterian). They invented it and it was better than our African toolkit at the time. It's also not easy to do. Trust me I've tried and it takes some skill. I'd be stuck in the back of the cave with the crosseyed slow kid. I've collected Neandertal tools over the years and some show serious skill and forethought. Some don't, which shows like us some were more talented than others.

A couple of questions.
        Were we US when we borrowed the Mousterian toolkit. Or were some sort of archaic (maybe the idea of archaics isn't all that helpful):D

I don't doubt that the Mousterian tools are hard to make but they were the same for 270,000 years. That isn't human. Humans aren't that static. (What am I missing here?)
        Also even Olduvan tools are hard to make if you can't work stone.
        I amn't arguing against the capability of Neanderthals but against their actuality. Even though they could speak perhaps they didn't speak until we taught them and perhaps in speaking they became us (look at someone like Chabal the rugby player he has browridges for God's sake and he is from the French Neanderthal heartland.

Under the influence of homo sapiens sapiens they changed their style of toolmaking from Mousterian to Chatelperronian.

Could it be that we taught them speech?
        Does this change indicate assimilation?

Further back? Erectus undertook sea voyages beyond sight of land, sometimes across treacherous currents(it's how they got to Flores and Crete).
        Or they could have floated on mats of vegetation.

While Erectus would appear very primitive to a modern urban human, I suspect he probably wouldn't appear that primitive to a modern hunter gatherer.
        Come on primitive is in the eye of the beholder.
        Do you think that homo erectus had manhood rites, taboos, religion or art?
        If a modern hunter gatherer met homo erectus he would either venerate him as the wise man of the woods or kill him and eat him.
        The bonds of species are broken homo erectus was not human.

A neandertal certainly wouldn't.
        That's begging the question a bit though. If you believe that Neanderthals are US and that there are lots of US that have been through time and that we are US all the way back to Zhoukoudian then obviously you won't think that a Neanderthal would have been unreconisable as human.
        But that I think is the main question about Neanderthals and why they were so interesting. Their humanity is not at issue. Neanderthals were human but what does that mean?

You see if they were human in an unvarnished way so that the Cro Magnons who met would have said 'Who are these people, let's communicate' then terms like Pleistocene Holocaust have alot of resonance and relevance.

I am not sure it would have been so clear to a hunter gatherer.

EG modern native Australians have an incredibly dense and complex mental/spiritual culture, but their stone tools were often not as complex compared to those of Neandertals.
        Maybe but they had art, rituals and stories. They also extracted much more from the land than the Neanderthals did. (edit) Just read this bit again and I see that it question begging. But Australian aboriginals lived at much higher density than Neanderthals implying that they got more from the land.
        They also produced stone tools more complex than any Neandethal tools including Chatelperronian.
        They also worked stone as art objects.
        (of course all this was done after 50,000 years ago long after the great leap forward :P)
        Fully modern Andaman islanders when first encountered didn't know how to make fire. They collected it(lightning strikes etc) and stored it as embers, but make it they could not. Neandertals could.
        I wasn't aware of that. Very interesting.

I think we come back now to what makes the Neanderthals so interesting.
        What is it to be human.
        These people were human (for much of their existence MORE HUMAN than the main trunk of our ancestors) but were they us?

Two practical questions after all these musings.

I have read that the maximum Neanderthal population of Europe was 10,000.
        I have also read that the maximum total Neanderthal population was 70,000.
        Were European Neanderthals such a small part of the total or am I misunderstanding something?

Is it possible that the culturally modern hunter gatherer peoples were so large in number and could take so much more from the land that they could have swamped the Neanderthals without the Pleistocene holocaust being true.
        Say that 10,000 Neanderthals lived in Europe but 250,000 homo sapiens sapiens so wouldn't homo sapiens sapiens just overwhelm homo sapiens neanderthalensis?

But why?
        Why us and not them?

It is definitely proof unvarnished proof I would say rather than just evidence that there is some non homo sapiens sapiens blood in Europeans. I am not sure that it invalidates the Out of Africa hypothesis (cards on the table Out of Africa makes intuitive sense to me and no doubt that creates a bias). Out of Africa merely says that we evolved in Africa; I don't think it rules out some gene flow back from the archaic populations.
        It used to. It was very much the complete replacement model.
        I have thought about white skin and red/blonde hair but apparently
        Well I was just using it as an example of how you might spot novel genes that would lead you to say this population had input to that population.
        Also what is meant by this quantification of the amount of Neanderthal DNA? And how do we know that Africans don't have Neandrthal genes that flowed down from North Africa?
        Because genetic markers unique to Neandertals don't show up in African folks. The Denisovan markers are even more unique to south east Asians and in greater percentages. Then there is some newer research into immune system markers that show even more archaic input.
        That's basically what I believe. A light goes on and you have abstraction and imagination and from that your capacity to speak and remember skyrockets people develope symbologies and taboos and 100 years later you're 'the people'.
        It makes for a neat explanation. Pity the evidence doesn't show that. It's a slow process over long periods of time. In our case we have some marks scratched in ochre in one site in south Africa at around 90,000 years ago. Evidence of some cultural thought. Then silence for at least 30,000 years. In that time it seems we did little. It sprang up and then died down. Looking at stone tools, unless you find the bones with the stones in situ the differences between us and Neandertals is very very hard to judge.

A couple of questions.
        Were we US when we borrowed the Mousterian toolkit. Or were some sort of archaic (maybe the idea of archaics isn't all that helpful):D
        We were us. Anatomically modern humans. They could walk down the street and would look like any other human.

I don't doubt that the Mousterian tools are hard to make but they were the same for 270,000 years. That isn't human. Humans aren't that static. (What am I missing here?)
        They weren't static. They evolved the basic technique throughout that time and this technique varied geographically. Different Neandertal populations made different tools with the technique. They had different tool cultures. Like I say they invented the first synthetic glue, long before we show up. They used wood too and since that so rarely preserves we've no idea how advanced they were on that score.
        Also even Olduvan tools are hard to make if you can't work stone.
        Nope they're really not. They're very easy to make, even compared to very early handaxes.
        I amn't arguing against the capability of Neanderthals but against their actuality. Even though they could speak perhaps they didn't speak until we taught them and perhaps in speaking they became us
        Highly unlikely. Thy had the genes for speech and the physiology for it. They could speak, what we don't is how deft they were at language.
        (look at someone like Chabal the rugby player he has browridges for God's sake and he is from the French Neanderthal heartland.
        He has modern human type browridges. Very unlike the Neandertal ones. Neandertals looked very different and if one walked down the street he or she would stand out.
        Under the influence of homo sapiens sapiens they changed their style of toolmaking from Mousterian to Chatelperronian.
        They don't know for sure who made chatelperronian tools. However the technique is a further evolution in mousterian techniques, so it could well be Neandertal and there's no reason to believe it came from us. It's quite reasonable to assume it's a Neandertal invention. Others like Quina tools arose out of the basic mousterian technique.
        Could it be that we taught them speech?
        Does this change indicate assimilation?
        I really really doubt it.

Or they could have floated on mats of vegetation.
        No, they really couldn't. Not to build a viable population. Nay populations on a few islands out of sight of land. The currents in the Flores straits are and were not conducive to floating mats.
        Come on primitive is in the eye of the beholder.
        Oh yea certainly.
        Do you think that homo erectus had manhood rites, taboos, religion or art?
        We simply don't know. They had cultures that's for sure. We see this in their tools. Manhood rites don't fossilise, but religion might, or a spiritual sense anyway. The handaxe, the ubiquitous tool of erectus may well show this. Like I say there exist examples too finely made for use and show no signs of use. Others show signs of symbolism in fossils and other inclusions that look like they were purposely selected and framed. Others have incredible symmetry, others are chosen for their colour, a few are so huge that it would require two men to lift them so serve no practical purpose. IMHO this evidence of some votive/spiritual meaning.

Further evidence of this votive meaning comes in the form of the bone pit I mentioned earlier that Heidelbergensis(precursor to Neandertal) used. One single large handaxe was found among the remains of their dead. Of very fine red quartzite, expertly knapped and unused. The researchers nicknamed it excalibur. The remains in the pit were all defleshed. Possibly cannibalism(which some moderns made a part of funerary rites) or some form of sky burial like the Tibetans practice today. They were doing something and doing it repeatedly and consistently and threw in a valuable item into the midst of all this. That suggests, strongly suggests ritual to me. Which suggests spiritual thought.

I'd be of the very personal opinion that this may explain the so called Movius mystery line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movius_Line Basically handaxes are all over the place but seem to peter out the further east one goes. Many explanations have been given, my mad theory is that the reason the handaxe isn't found or found very rarely is not because of leaving a useful tool behind, but leaving a religion/spiritual artifact behind. A religious reformation writ in stone or lack of it. Indeed as a tool, handaxes are pretty limited. Quite a few researchers think they're not actually tools, but cores left over from striking blades from a core. Maybe, but some, many are too precisely knapped. I have a couple of stone cores and they're pretty distinctive and nothing like handaxes and look like cast off items(though one I have was used afterwards as a hammer stone).
        If a modern hunter gatherer met homo erectus he would either venerate him as the wise man of the woods or kill him and eat him.
        They would be likely to do similar with any other actual human sufficiently different to them. It's happened more than once in history.
        The bonds of species are broken homo erectus was not human.
        I contend they were. Certainly more human than any previous hominid.

That's begging the question a bit though. If you believe that Neanderthals are US and that there are lots of US that have been through time and that we are US all the way back to Zhoukoudian then obviously you won't think that a Neanderthal would have been unreconisable as human.
        No I think they would have looked very distinctive. Nothing like the more recent "put a suit on him and he'd pass for us" reconstructions. I believe they looked quite different because of different local evolutionary pressures.
        But that I think is the main question about Neanderthals and why they were so interesting. Their humanity is not at issue. Neanderthals were human but what does that mean?

You see if they were human in an unvarnished way so that the Cro Magnons who met would have said 'Who are these people, let's communicate' then terms like Pleistocene Holocaust have alot of resonance and relevance.
        Maybe, maybe not. Hard one to call.
        I am not sure it would have been so clear to a hunter gatherer.
        Like I said hunter gatherers can be quite xenophobic in thought and deed.
        Maybe but they had art, rituals and stories. They also extracted much more from the land than the Neanderthals did.
        Rituals and stories don't fossilise. Art? Well that may well do. There is increasing evidence from Spain that the Neandertals there processed pigments and wore shell pendants long before they met us. They have yellows and reds and blacks and possibly blues. One lump was so concentrated it appears it was once held in a leather pouch that rotted away over te centuries. Some of the pigments even have little bits of "glitter" in them, just like some of the ladies apply these days. :) Body art is art. (edit)
        Just read this bit again and I see that it question begging. But Australian aboriginals lived at much higher density than Neanderthals implying that they got more from the land.
        They also produced stone tools more complex than any Neandethal tools including Chatelperronian.
        They also worked stone as art objects.
        (of course all this was done after 50,000 years ago long after the great leap forward :P)
        Well much higher density that we know of. Native Aussies have been there for 50-60,000 years that we know of. In that time, they decimated the megafauna and their populations waxed and waned. They became quite isolated as groups. To the degree that native Aussies have one of the widest range of languages in the world. Neandertals were around for at least 200,000 years, more like 350,000 and survived and thrived in wildly varying climates and habitats and kept a stable if not growing population. That's damned impressive(and one reason I don't buy the "oh climate changed killed them off". So they're major advantage for over a quarter a million years out of the blue made the extinct by the same pressure. Yea right Ted).
        I wasn't aware of that. Very interesting.
        Yea they're an interesting bunch of lads and lasses alright. African folks a long way from home.

Two practical questions after all these musings.

Is it possible that the culturally modern hunter gatherer peoples were so large in number and could take so much more from the land that they could have swamped the Neanderthals without the Pleistocene holocaust being true.
        Say that 10,000 Neanderthals lived in Europe but 250,000 homo sapiens sapiens so wouldn't homo sapiens sapiens just overwhelm homo sapiens neanderthalensis?

But why?
        Why us and not them?
        Yes but why were their numbers bigger if they were at first? We were better with changing climates? Hardly. We were a subtropical species that hadn't been exposed to the hugely variable climate shifts they had for over 200,000 years. We were better hunters? Again I doubt it. We ate more diverse foods? There's some evidence of that, but equally there's evidence that some Neandertal groups also had a variable diet. They needed more food to survive? That for me is one of the more likely ones. They were the SUV of hominids. Real gas guzzlers. Not that they starved or anything but maybe that need for more calories meant their population couldn't grow as fast as ours. We were more like a small diesel in needs. That might be all it took and little by little we had more and more kids than them. It wasn't a sudden thing either. It wasn't we show up they all die out. It took the guts of 10,000 years for this process to take place, which for me spells small but winning advantage.

Hey Wibbs sorry I dont have any links to the rape idea, its not even a theory its just something I read in a few articles thats thrown about when people ask "why would anyone sleep with a neanderthal woman"!

• Advertisement

To much to quote Wibbs. I think that my cognitive biases are really pandered to by this idea of the 'archaic' and 'fully modern' human. Not to mention 'cultural modernity'. It seems like a bit of a cheat when you look a bit harder.
        Advocates for thinking Neanderthals have to prove that art objects are art.
        Call someone fully modern and the assumption is that they are making art.
        I need to change my perspective and do some more reading without the blinkers (or new blinkers anyway).
        I also have the problem of anachronism (even though I am aware of that problem) Neanderthal tools are the same for 270,000 years (is that even true?) but of course archaic mad.gif homo sapiens didn't change his toolkit much for 200,000 years either. I need to get all the dates straight in my head.

I really think that you've nailed down the nub of the problem when you ask why we might have been able to live in larger numbers. But the Neanderthals needed twice as much food as us not ten times as much.
        Humans have a comparatively short period between births (for great apes) if the Neanderthals had a longer period between births that could account for the overwhelming by HSS. Perhaps it was just a fluke.

Any books you'd recommend on the Denisovians?
        Is there anywhere that I can download a matrix showing what everyone was doing at the same time.

Just going back to DNA for a second. We are 99.7% the same DNA as a Neanderthal. So again what does the 4% of Neanderthal DNA mean.

Hey Wibbs sorry I dont have any links to the rape idea, its not even a theory its just something I read in a few articles thats thrown about when people ask "why would anyone sleep with a neanderthal woman"!
        Think it comes up in Clan of the Cave Bear.:D
        Maybe if you were young men/ adolescents away hunting for a a couple of months the question is "Why wouldn't anyone sleep with a Neanderthal woman!"

To much to quote Wibbs.
        That would be me alright :o:D
        I think that my cognitive biases are really pandered to by this idea of the 'archaic' and 'fully modern' human. Not to mention 'cultural modernity'. It seems like a bit of a cheat when you look a bit harder.
        Advocates for thinking Neanderthals have to prove that art objects are art.
        Call someone fully modern and the assumption is that they are making art.
        Yea that's the problem alright S. We all assume human=us=art/culture/religion/technology. It's an odd thought to consider a human that isn't quite human, isn't quite us, having anything similar. Ugh the bent over grunting barely conscious caveman is more comforting in a way. Makes us keep our "special" status kinda thing. What I find interesting is the more we've learned about Neandertals having more "human" attributes the more "human" we've made them look in reconstructions. As if to say, Oh they must have looked like us if they kinda thought like us". Again the comfort thing. IMHO they would have looked very different in the flesh. Hairier for a start.
        I also have the problem of anachronism (even though I am aware of that problem) Neanderthal tools are the same for 270,000 years (is that even true?) but of course archaic mad.gif homo sapiens didn't change his toolkit much for 200,000 years either.
        for the guts of 150,000 years we weren't making any obvious art either(with some very rare isolated examples). Neandertal tools vary over time and geography. That's just the stone tools. We know they utilised wood a lot, but it doesn't preserve so well, so we have no clue what wooded stuff they had(though they had expertly balanced throwing spears 300,000 years ago). They also used leather, the amount of scrapers of varying design shows that. It seems they had leather pouches and may have had leather satchels etc. They collected and concentrated pigments for some reason, likely body art and may also have used pendants. All very "human" sounding and this is before we meet in the Levant or Europe. Were we differ from very early on is we're bigger wanderers from home base. You can see this in the middle east where we lived together for the first time. They collect food and stone material with in an area of a ten mile radius circle around home. We can have circles running out to 50-60 miles.

I really think that you've nailed down the nub of the problem when you ask why we might have been able to live in larger numbers. But the Neanderthals needed twice as much food as us not ten times as much.
        Apparently some bloke has worked out they needed 6000 calories a day, so around three times more than us. A lot of food.
        Humans have a comparatively short period between births (for great apes) if the Neanderthals had a longer period between births that could account for the overwhelming by HSS.
        Maybe not. One site with a number of bodies of different ages laid down at the same time has been examined and funny enough it looks like Neandertals have the same birth interval. If true that takes another thing out of the equation(as a huge advantage anyway).
        Any books you'd recommend on the Denisovians?
        Is there anywhere that I can download a matrix showing what everyone was doing at the same time.
        NOt that I know of sorry. The Denisovians are so new I suppose publishing has to catch up.
        Just going back to DNA for a second. We are 99.7% the same DNA as a Neanderthal. So again what does the 4% of Neanderthal DNA mean.
        You'd really want to be asking a geneticist that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

"why would anyone sleep with a neanderthal woman"!

Never been to Copperface Jacks then? ;)

This is a great thread - quite cheered me up to see such informed discussion. One theme I keep coming back is the artificiality of the notion of species, especially within so short and close a genus as homo (or even the hominina, but brother do I hate that term). As Gould argued in more general terms, we make up these names and divisions, then we argue about them - the reality proceeds unaffected.

I like to borrow the familiar mental image from discussions of mitochondrial DNA, the picture of an unbroken chain of hand-holding mothers and daughters stretching back across maybe 50,000 women (a line maybe only 50km long) until we find our common ancestor with the Neanderthals. The question has to be asked of 'our' ancestor, one of the three (minimum) women holding hands at position 50,000: how do you get to be called 'human', but your mother and your sister don't?

It's a question that can only be asked in retrospect, because it's only from the other end of that chain of hands that we can know which lady is our manytimes grandmother, and which is not - at the time, 800,000 years ago, the question means nothing. The notion of species is applied within the homo genus by looking at what 'lines' survived, and for how long - a teleological argument from the perspective of the individuals involved.

Earning the badge of being 'us' looks like a happy accident of descendants - perhaps it's better to think of 'humanity' as not being restricted to a group that only includes our verifiable ancestors. Perhaps seeing homo as a mixing milling weave of strands of culture and genome that touch and part and touch again seems more apt - without denying the essential truth of an geographically African origin.

Obviously I'm pushing things a long way back from the OP's question here, but it keeps me busy.

Tordelback wrote: »
        Never been to Copperface Jacks then? ;)

This is a great thread - quite cheered me up to see such informed discussion. One theme I keep coming back is the artificiality of the notion of species, especially within so short and close a genus as homo (or even the hominina, but brother do I hate that term). As Gould argued in more general terms, we make up these names and divisions, then we argue about them - the reality proceeds unaffected.

I like to borrow the familiar mental image from discussions of mitochondrial DNA, the picture of an unbroken chain of hand-holding mothers and daughters stretching back across maybe 50,000 women (a line maybe only 50km long) until we find our common ancestor with the Neanderthals. The question has to be asked of 'our' ancestor, one of the three (minimum) women holding hands at position 50,000: how do you get to be called 'human', but your mother and your sister don't?

It's a question that can only be asked in retrospect, because it's only from the other end of that chain of hands that we can know which lady is our manytimes grandmother, and which is not - at the time, 800,000 years ago, the question means nothing. The notion of species is applied within the homo genus by looking at what 'lines' survived, and for how long - a teleological argument from the perspective of the individuals involved.

Earning the badge of being 'us' looks like a happy accident of descendants - perhaps it's better to think of 'humanity' as not being restricted to a group that only includes our verifiable ancestors. Perhaps seeing homo as a mixing milling weave of strands of culture and genome that touch and part and touch again seems more apt - without denying the essential truth of an geographically African origin.

Obviously I'm pushing things a long way back from the OP's question here, but it keeps me busy.
        Absolutely not a problem with me, anyway. The discussion has become much more interesting and informative than the OP.

Tordelback wrote: »
        Oh certainly. We're all African. Indeed so were Neandertal and Erectus and all the rest. If Neandertals had survived and we were just stones and bones in museums, if they ever had scientists their scientists would have come up with an African origin for them too. They would have had an African "eve" and African "Adam". Albeit further back in their history.

Advertisement