Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT

• 21-07-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

What is the deal with this IBT ****e? I've been riding bikes since I was about 12 years old, but only recently decided to get my licence and take one on the road. Got my permit, and not I see I have to pay a further €610 before I can take my bike on the road? I am ****ing disgusted.

I can see the advantages of having a CBT course for novice riders, it may, after all, save lives. Charging almost the cost of my bike again to get it on the road is just extortionate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

where are you based...610 is a bit high.. if you have your own bike i think 400 is a good mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fun

Based in dublin. A quick google threw up 610 as the price with your own bike. How can they get away with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all. But for 90% of people out there, the idea of proper training before they are allowed drive a motorbike is probably a good idea.

It just sucks that people like yourself get caught out. My Dad has every single category on his licence ticked apart from his bike licence. He said he never bothered to get one even though he would use a bike when he was younger. Now 30 years on he is looking to use my bike and has to fork out 500 euro for this IBT. He is nearly 60yrs old and cannot afford to spend 500 euro especially something which is a big waste of time in his circumstances. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Trust me, IBT isn't just for the benefit of novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

This guy does the IBT for 400 quid. Based in Monasterevin. Not sure how good he is, but seems to be the cheapest around.

http://www.drivinginstructorsireland.ie/ADI-F35559

• Advertisement

Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all. But for 90% of people out there, the idea of proper training before they are allowed drive a motorbike is probably a good idea.

It just sucks that people like yourself get caught out. My Dad has every single category on his licence ticked apart from his bike licence. He said he never bothered to get one even though he would use a bike when he was younger. Now 30 years on he is looking to use my bike and has to fork out 500 euro for this IBT. He is nearly 60yrs old and cannot afford to spend 500 euro especially something which is a big waste of time in his circumstances. :mad:

Myself being a student, I'm in the same boat. I just feel that if they're making it compulsory, it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have seen prices as low as €290 per person INCLUDING BIKE AND GEAR RENTAL if you share with another person. Shop around.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I have seen prices as low as €290 per person INCLUDING BIKE AND GEAR RENTAL if you share with another person. Shop around.

Where was this?

Saw it on another forum, I'll try to remember to dig it out tonight (in work now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,433 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry OP, but I disagree, you should have to do IBT and the dad who rode bikes 40 years ago but never got a licence should too.
    No or very little on-road experience, or decades away from a bike (roads, traffic conditions, and the abilities of bikes themselves are vastly different between then and now) mean you need IBT just the same as someone who never slung a leg over a bike before. A total beginner will be more cautious than someone who knows the mechanics of making a bike move but has no experience of riding in modern traffic conditions.
    Wish it had been around when I was starting off, probably would have saved me a good bit of road rash, training was hard to come by in the early 90s. ALL motorists including car drivers should have to do compulsory professional training.
    Actually there's a lot of experienced road riders with full licences who never got any proper training in their lives who would learn something from it. How to corner a bike properly, how to position it on the road properly, how to turn confidently at very low speed, even how to brake properly. I knew a guy riding for years who never used the front brake.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seriously expensive for compulsory training IMO, surely there must be a way to either have it subsidised or have voluntary trainers.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ninja900 wrote: »
    I knew a guy riding for years who never used the front brake.
    My brother used to only use the front brake. :eek:

well to be honest in my opinion everyone should have to do a test every few years...
    all you have to do is look at the headlines 2 bikers killed this week.. now i dont know their circumstances etc so i wont comment on them but the responsible bikers i know do courses at least one 2 day courses every second year, it helps to stop bad habits becoming the norm...same thing for cages you should have to do a test every few years even just a theory test...
    When i did my motorcycle test i asked my brothers and father to do the sample theory test, they all failed but what they failed on was the correct use of the road...

if it takes a test every few years to improve peoples attitude to safer driving then thats what should be done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,433 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bladespin, no way will the government subidise it, the money isn't there.
    Garda riders participate in Bikesafe on a voluntary basis.
    A civilian trainer is unlikely to be able to afford to, given the cost of professional imdemnity insurance.
    Someone who can't afford IBT is going to have difficulty affording the other essentials - bike insurance or proper riding gear or a decent roadworthy bike instead of the cheapest s**t-heap they could find. Training isn't cheap but it's cheaper than crashing.

Eurofoxy, I'd agree but you can imagine the popularity of that with voters if they were told they'd have to do that to keep their car licences.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Eurofoxy, I'd agree but you can imagine the popularity of that with voters if they were told they'd have to do that to keep their car licences.

last time i brought it up with the old man he nearly hunted me out of the house... you could imagine what he would do to a politician if they brought it in.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I rang them up about this. It works out at about 450 euro for the entire course.

As mentioned earlier here is a link to a guy offering the IBT for €290. You need to pair up with someone to get it that price so find a friend or else post up there that you are looking for someone to share with.
    You will probably need to join the site anyway so put up an introduction and say hi!
    http://www.globalmotorbikes.com/foru...obal-IBT-offer
    Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

fun wrote: »
    What is the deal with this IBT ****e? I've been riding bikes since I was about 12 years old, but only recently decided to get my licence and take one on the road. Got my permit, and not I see I have to pay a further €610 before I can take my bike on the road? I am ****ing disgusted.

I can see the advantages of having a CBT course for novice riders, it may, after all, save lives. Charging almost the cost of my bike again to get it on the road is just extortionate.

It would be very interesting to have an IBT instructor do a critique of your riding skills! from my experience you might find yourself blushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Coltsr

Quick question

Does the IBT count of insurance assesment grade 3 or is the insurance assesment a separate thing

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Coltsr wrote: »
    Quick question

Does the IBT count of insurance assesment grade 3 or is the insurance assesment a separate thing

thanks

You'd need to ask the instructor if the assessment is part of their IBT or not. Some say it is but ask to be 100% sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I did the bike test voluntarily and seemingly unnecessarily about 10 years ago.

p.s. I'm also a trainee clairvoyant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin-special/naasbiking/570819

Noticed this just there on my interweb searching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

brianblaze wrote: »
    http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin-special/naasbiking/570819

Noticed this just there on my interweb searching...

Check posts #17 and #18 about this!

Deal is now expired.

Advertisement