Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong size of shotgun cartridge?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Sorry for the basic question, just shotguns really arent my forte at all. More of a rifle man.

Bought a box of lyalvale cartridges (AAA) for charlie. Only I when I got home I see they are for 3inch chambers. I have a 2 3/4 chamber.... Will it do any harm to gun (or me) if I fire these? Or is it just a case of 3 inch chamber is optimal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Hello Arthur.

As regards AAA 3" in a 2 3/4'' chamber. NO WAY under no circumstances if you value your life an eye or a hand at low water the damage to your gun would mean nothing in terms of personal injury in the event of your gun bursting. Most 3'' shells are loaded with 52 gr which is ok if your gun is proofed for 1200 kgs. Most 2 3/4 shells are are for guns of 900kgs except the light Magnum loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They WILL harm you and the gun...If you could make them fit in there!:D
    3ins wont fit 2 3/4 chambers.
    Back to the shop with you and get a 2 3/4 000 load for fox.Much better INMHO.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They WILL harm you and the gun...If you could make them fit in there!:D
    3ins wont fit 2 3/4 chambers.
    Back to the shop with you and get a 2 3/4 000 load for fox.Much better INMHO.
    Iv asked for these in a few places to be told i dont stock them and they are not good for your gun?? They offer me 42g 4 heavy loads or 38g 3. where can i get 000????????? what range are they good to on a fox griz??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Arthur. wrote: »
    Sorry for the basic question, just shotguns really arent my forte at all. More of a rifle man.

Bought a box of lyalvale cartridges (AAA) for charlie. Only I when I got home I see they are for 3inch chambers. I have a 2 3/4 chamber.... Will it do any harm to gun (or me) if I fire these? Or is it just a case of 3 inch chamber is optimal?

your gun must be very old, most shot guns take 2&3/4" -3"??
    The older side by sides did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Most are 2 3/4". Some are 3". Older guns had shorter chambers alright, lots of 2 1/2".

• Advertisement

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/gamecarts-alphamax.html

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/buckshot/express-buckshot.aspx

you'll just have to specify your gun has 2-3/4 inch chambers to RFD

Are you 100% your gun has written on chamber 2-3/4" only??

Most guns take 2 offerings like IWM's 2-1/2 2-3/4" Aya

is it not the case that your gun will take any cartrige(of the same gauge) up to its max chamber size?????

is it not the case that your gun will take any cartrige(of the same gauge) up to its max chamber size?????

That's it alright.

That's it alright.
    Thought as much.

he never mentioned the lower limit, that's why I ask.
    OP might be reading chamber wrong

• Advertisement

he never mentioned the lower limit, that's why I ask.
    OP might be reading chamber wrong
    True but you said \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    Most guns take 2 offerings like IWM's 2-1/2 2-3/4" Aya
    Which is not tecnically right yeah?

Shotgun chambers just have a length, which is the maximum length of cartridge you can use in it. So a 3" gun can shoot 2", 2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3", while a 2 3/4" gun can shoot all but the 3" in that and so forth. There's no minimum. If someone can find a 1" shotgun shell, it will be safe to fire in my gun.

Shotgun chambers just have a length, which is the maximum length of cartridge you can use in it. So a 3" gun can shoot 2", 2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3", while a 2 3/4" gun can shoot all but the 3" in that and so forth. There's no minimum. If someone can find a 1" shotgun shell, it will be safe to fire in my gun.

my semi will only work with 2-3/4 and 3" and Remington states so

my brothers double barrel is demarked for 2-3/4 and 3"
    My mates Fabarm pump says 3-3.5"

Semis can have problems with cycling. For double guns though, it's just a max chamber length. Just a question of what's safe to fire.

my O/U just says 70mm which is 2 3/4"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Semis can have problems with cycling. For double guns though, it's just a max chamber length. Just a question of what's safe to fire.

yep, my semi will only take 2 3/4 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yep, my semi will only take 2 3/4 :(

Is it due to jamming/cycling issues or pressure concerns?

I'd question that.

If you had a problem and the insurance company saw you used Ammo not demarked on the Chamber it could let them wriggle out of it.

Interesting that the Fabarm Pump says 3" and 3 &1/2"

and not 2-3/4-3.5" or 2.5-3.5":confused:

@GH
    You sure your Semi will not take 3" shells? Most Semi's do for water fowling even 3.5"
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/waterfowl-loads/nitro-steel-high-velocity.aspx

I'd question that.

If you had a problem and the insurance company saw you used Ammo not demarked on the Chamber it could let them wriggle out of it.

Interesting that the Fabarm Pump says 3" and 3 &1/2"

and not 2-3/4-3.5" or 2.5-3.5":confused:

@GH
    You sure your Semi will not take 3" shells? Most Semi's do for water fowling even 3.5"
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/waterfowl-loads/nitro-steel-high-velocity.aspx

Yeah, but if you have a gun chambered for 3 1/2" are you only ever going to shoot those in it if it doesn't say anything else? All it denotes is the length of the chamber. It's not like the chambering indication of a rifle.

Yeah, but if you have a gun chambered for 3 1/2" are you only ever going to shoot those in it if it doesn't say anything else? All it denotes is the length of the chamber. It's not like the chambering indication of a rifle.

Thats my point IWM
    It usually says more than one length

It did on my Lumar, Baikal and 3 Remington shotguns

I'm nearly sure it says so on my mates Ruger also.

• Advertisement

Thats my point IWM
    It usually says more than one length

It did on my Lumar, Baikal and 3 Remington shotguns

I'm nearly sure it says so on my mates Ruger also.

Never seen that. Certainly any European or English guns I've had a look at have just had the chamber on them, typically in the form of 12/65, 12/70, 12/76 and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

AFAIK when a cartridge is classed as 2 3/4, that is the length of the hull before loading, after loading the top of the case is turned and crimped leaving the cartridge about 2 1/2 inches long. That could explain the reason for barrels being marked 2 1/2 and 2 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Vegeta wrote: »
    Is it due to jamming/cycling issues or pressure concerns?

Several reasons, Reliability has been 100% in what Ive used but with a stamped metal reciever heavier recoil would hammer the sh!te out of her.

Its also magazine fed (detachable as opposed to underbarrel) so I would imagine that different length shells could lead to feeding/reliability issues.

@GH

Im quiet positive as im very well able to read the big stamped lettering that says "FRANCHI SPA - SPAS 15 - CAL 12 X 70" :P

70mm is 2.75591 (2 3/4) inches for the curious out there.

GH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

janey tack you talk some dross lad :rolleyes:
    the gun will usually be marked with the maximum chamber lenth all mine are !!70mm
    a shotgun with a 70mm marked chamber can use anything up to and including a 70mm case. PROVIDED !!!!!!!! the cartridge has a working pressure below what the gun is proofed for :eek: just because it will physically fit dosn't mean it's safe to use i have seen 70mm shells that have a 1300 kg pressure rating where most 70mm guns have a 900kg proof .

why lads insist on using aaa /oo buck or such for shooting foxes i really don't know it's a @20lb mammal
    1s and 3s are fine for most fox shooting having more than enough kinetic energy and pattern density to kill out to 50yrd from a choke barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

TO update the situation.

A few years back when I bought the gun, tHe chap I bought it from told me that it was 2 and 3/4.. and on the side of the gun it says 70mm and nothing else. Still being friendly with the lad I bought the gun of I called him up and asked and he said it would be grand once they fit. I tried it, they fit, but told him I wasnt chancing it. 10 minutes later I was suprised when I opened the front door to him standing there volunteering to be a guinea pig. He took the first shot and it fired grand. Or so you'd think.... I took the second shot and all I can say is, you'd definitley know its not a number 8 your shooting.

Iv asked for these in a few places to be told i dont stock them and they are not good for your gun?? They offer me 42g 4 heavy loads or 38g 3. where can i get 000????????? what range are they good to on a fox griz??

Load of old rubbish telling you they are not good for your gun!:rolleyes:
    Unless the thing has huge mechanical issues or is out of tolerance,they will work fine..It is simply a shotgun shell with a larger size pellet load,nothing else.
    More like lazy gun dealers who couldnt be arsed getting the proper ammo for foxes.Remmy or Winchester do it as do Federal,or even Rottweil,so anyone that stocks those brands should be able to get you in a supply of them.They are no different in range from the normal shotgun load,but because of the size they will ensure a cleaner and better kill on a fox ,than the above mentioned duck and goose loads.
    bEst ring around a few dealers and see who has them in stock.Try calling them fox shot as well,some dont know what 000 is.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

TO update the situation.

A few years back when I bought the gun, tHe chap I bought it from told me that it was 2 and 3/4.. and on the side of the gun it says 70mm and nothing else. Still being friendly with the lad I bought the gun of I called him up and asked and he said it would be grand once they fit. I tried it, they fit, but told him I wasnt chancing it. 10 minutes later I was suprised when I opened the front door to him standing there volunteering to be a guinea pig. He took the first shot and it fired grand. Or so you'd think.... I took the second shot and all I can say is, you'd definitley know its not a number 8 your shooting.

2 3/4 *is* 70mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

Grizz you are dishing out bum info lad :cool: ooo in a normal 12 guage load max once and a half only has about 8/9 pellets in it even from a full choke tube your asking a lot to kill a fox fine if you get a lucky hit
    whereas a no1 has @75 for the same load with more than enough piff to kill

landkeeper wrote: »

why lads insist on using aaa /oo buck or such for shooting foxes i really don't know it's a @20lb mammal
    1s and 3s are fine for most fox shooting having more than enough kinetic energy and pattern density to kill out to 50yrd from a choke barrel

Out of a triple turkey choke maybe.:)
    Maybe its just me,but I do like to make sure anything I shoot is dispatched cleanly and humanely,which means using the right ammo for the job.Even if it is vermin.
    Considering getting hit by one 000 pellet[roughly .25 cal] is a cube root equation,[cant remember who did this equation] of getting hit by three .25 cal slugs at once.apprently the more hits by 000 or 00 it factors by 3 .IOW 1 =3 hits,2=8,3=9,etc of .25 cal ammo.
    While not a "manstopper " caliber either unless at poker table ranges :pac:
    I sure wouldnt like to be hit by one not to mind three at once.

The adage "use enough gun" holds true:D

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    Grizz you are dishing out bum info lad :cool: ooo in a normal 12 guage load max once and a half only has about 8/9 pellets in it even from a full choke tube your asking a lot to kill a fox fine if you get a lucky hit
    whereas a no1 has @75 for the same load with more than enough piff to kill

I dunno LK.Ive killed all my foxes with 000 and nothing else out of cylinder bore and improved with no bother.Its not the mass of pelletts you launch its the ones that hit that count.:)

Later.BTW its 00 buck that only has 8/9 pelletts. 000 or Triple ought has 12/16 per round.
    00 is for heavier things like deer or boar,or biped vermin.

Advertisement