Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Irish BJJ Cup 27th August

• 21-07-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Just posting this on behalf of Gus as he always runs a great tournament and i'd like to see it very well attended!

rish-bjj-cup-head.jpg

1st IRISH BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU CUP 2011 – IBJJF Rules – Saturday 27th of August 2011

Click Here to register

Donnycarney Community & Youth Centre
    Entrance on Clancarthy Road -
    Collins Avenue East, Donnycarney, Dublin 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Done. See ya there Mark:D
    Think Jorge should have 5-6 students

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Done. See ya there Mark:D

No you won't, I'm in France! I'd definitely be attending if I was in Ireland tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Karate girl

yay :D excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nice clean venue, just a heads up though!.. Speaking from experience, make sure the water in the showers are hot.

The shower's/changing rooms are tiny but spotless, however the water is usually freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dasmoose wrote: »
    Just posting this on behalf of Gus as he always runs a great tournament and i'd like to see it very well attended!

rish-bjj-cup-head.jpg

1st IRISH BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU CUP 2011 – IBJJF Rules – Saturday 27th of August 2011

Click Here to register

Donnycarney Community & Youth Centre
    Entrance on Clancarthy Road -
    Collins Avenue East, Donnycarney, Dublin 5

Just registered for this, woot! :D

• Advertisement

Quick question.
    Is there an absolute division?
    And is there any rules on coloured gis for this competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

And is there any rules on coloured gis for this competition?

Why? What sort of strange colour are you looking to wear? :D

I'm sure all colours are allowed but if it was an IBJJF comp then it would be White, Blue (inc Navy) and Black with no contrasting lapels. You'll probably have to wear the same colour top as bottoms.

Cant wait for this competition! :D

First gi comp in a good while, dying for it. I'll be under 70kg Blue Belt category.

Who else is competing and what divisions? Hopefully SBG will have a big team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm sure all colours are allowed but if it was an IBJJF comp then it would be White, Blue (inc Navy) and Black with no contrasting lapels. You'll probably have to wear the same colour top as bottoms.

I'd imagine he's talking about the new IBJJF rule about where guys are supposed to wear blue or white gis during a match like in judo.

I doubt it's going to be implemented at anything other than the highest of levels tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Hanley wrote: »

I'd imagine he's talking about the new IBJJF rule about where guys are supposed to wear blue or white gis during a match like in judo.

I doubt it's going to be implemented at anything other than the highest of levels tho.

The new rules with regard to only the 2 colors being allowed for comp are only being proposed and will only come in from next year....
    As things stand at the moment the IBJJF rules only allow for White, Blue ( and Navy) and Black Gi's at competition. Although I have seen many colour allowed at some comps, even canary yellow at the Kent open in '08.
    Best bet is to contact the organiser (Gus) and check before hand, he has stated it is being run under IBJJF rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 AllianceBJJ Ireland

The Alliance Ireland team will be there... looking forward to it!

Ah tis just a black one. I thought the rule about blue and white gis was already in effect.
    I can just imagine someone turnin up in a matt thornton style one though ha.
    Oh and im pretty sure if kratty gurl up there has her way she'll turn up in a pink gi if she gets her hands on one. Right lea :P

Nah, and I doubt it would be in affect for any competitions over here, its an IBJJF rule, it'd be mad to have it over here, its a mad rule anyway not allowing Black and Navy.

Nah, and I doubt it would be in affect for any competitions over here, its an IBJJF rule, it'd be mad to have it over here, its a mad rule anyway not allowing Black and Navy.

Was there a reason give as to why competitors would have to wear either blue or white?.

I think with Judo it was to make things easier for the TV audience, it being easier to understand whats going on - particularly on the ground, when competitors had contrasting colors.. Much like Table Tennis balls were made bigger (no joke) for TV viewing.

With BJJ it will cut out those stupid looking DPM (camo) Gi's.

Other than that it doesn't make a lot of sense, is there going to be a restriction on patches?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Was there a reason give as to why competitors would have to wear either blue or white?.

I think with Judo it was to make things easier for the TV audience, it being easier to understand whats going on - particularly on the ground, when competitors had contrasting colors.. Much like Table Tennis balls were made bigger (no joke) for TV viewing.

With BJJ it will cut out those stupid looking DPM (camo) Gi's.

Other than that it doesn't make a lot of sense, is there going to be a restriction on patches?.

Initially Only Blue white and black were allowed, Navy fell under 'blue', Camo, yellow etc.. were never competition legal.

As was outlined by the IBJJF It is to improve refereeing and spectating.

No restriction on patches other than the guidelines already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gusuk

Hi Guys remember to sign up for the comp. here is the link
    www.grabandpull.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

gusuk wrote: »
    Hi Guys remember to sign up for the comp. here is the link
    www.grabandpull.co.uk

Will there be a timetable for the comp Gus?

ttt...timetable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Karate girl

ye me will be wearing a pink gi, gtta a problem? :P

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    ttt...timetable?

I will be working on it this week. And up load here, but It will be rough guide as I need to wait to see how many guys we will have in there

• Advertisement

I will be working on it this week. And up load here, but It will be rough guide as I need to wait to see how many guys we will have in there

Cheers Gus! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Is it possible to make a group payment or does everyone have to be registered and payed individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Rob01 wrote: »
    Is it possible to make a group payment or does everyone have to be registered and payed individually?

A group of about 30 to be exact Gus.

Cheers Rob :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Registered! Cant wait to get on the mat.

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    A group of about 30 to be exact Gus.

Cheers Rob :)

Hi Guys. It would be much easier if you could do it at the site. www.grabandpull.co.uk. As It goes straight into the system and take the payment, however if you need to do it please contact me direct on gus.oliveira@grabandpull.co.uk and I will help you further.
    best
    Gus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Chris89 wrote: »
    Registered! Cant wait to get on the mat.

OOSSSS Ledinho!

Hi guys. I am still looking for some for workes for the the day. PAid work. Please contact me referees and table stuff.
    best
    Gus

email me at: sales@grabandpull.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hi guys. I am still looking for some for workes for the the day. PAid work. Please contact me referees and table stuff.
    best
    Gus

email me at: sales@grabandpull.co.uk

I'll mention this at training tonight and pass on the details. Can people still compete in their division and then help out?

Killme00 wrote: »
    I'll mention this at training tonight and pass on the details. Can people still compete in their division and then help out?

Yes they can. Many Thanks for the support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

What time does this start? (going to watch not compete). Is it free in or pay at the door? Very little info on the website. Thanks in advance.

Will a competitor list/timetable be posted soon? Thanks.

kcools wrote: »
    What time does this start? (going to watch not compete). Is it free in or pay at the door? Very little info on the website. Thanks in advance.

Free of charge to get in. Full schedule will be post here and email to all competitors. Comp will start at 10.00pm. Weigh ins at 9.30am for those who are competiting in the morning

Here is the registrants list so far:

http://www.strongvon.com/irishcup/m_tournament_main.jsp?page=Registrants.html

Guys I am still looking for workers this weekend. TAble stuff will get 40 euros for the day and refeere 80 euros for the day. Please email me sales@grabandpull.co.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

This is the worst question to ask an organiser but... :)

What time are you expecting to run the purple belt divisions? I have to cover a class in the morning time but it's rare to see such a big purple belt division.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Also Gus I can referee but I will be a little later as per my above excuse :)

• Advertisement

What happens if there is only 1 or 2 competitiors in a division?

Has to be a straight final right...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Then you get a gold or a silver medal, happens all the time in UK. No one will ever ask you how many people were in your division. ;)

If there is only 1 then its 35 euro for a gold medal :)

Unfortunately Im reffing Clan Wars or I would have done the white belt veteran old bastard division.

Has to be a straight final right...?

Yeah figured that Luke, its just that one or two other comps Ive been to mixed divisions I think, but yeah I think most just do a straight final. May the best man win ;) ha.

So what about if there is only 1 registered? A friend of mine is the only one registered for Blue super featherweight.

Yeah figured that Luke, its just that one or two other comps Ive been to mixed divisions I think, but yeah I think most just do a straight final. May the best man win ;) ha.

So what about if there is only 1 registered? A friend of mine is the only one registered for Blue super featherweight.

Then I think he should get a gold and maybe be allowed compete in the class above also. It's not his fault no one else shows up at that weight class and belt level and he's trained, cut weight etc he deserves a medal IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

Then I think he should get a gold and maybe be allowed compete in the class above also. It's not his fault no one else shows up at that weight class and belt level and he's trained, cut weight etc he deserves a medal IMO

There are always a lot of last minute registrations, still a few days to go and brackets will expand

Then you get a gold or a silver medal, happens all the time in UK. No one will ever ask you how many people were in your division. ;)

If there is only 1 then its 35 euro for a gold medal :)

Unfortunately Im reffing Clan Wars or I would have done the white belt veteran old bastard division.

David shame that you can not make it!!!.

With regards to the category. If both guys have agreed on the registration to move up or change age category than we mix, other wise They will compete for gold and silver(i.e: straight final).

Is there a fee for spectators?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Free of charge to get in. Full schedule will be post here and email to all competitors. Comp will start at 10.00pm. Weigh ins at 9.30am for those who are competiting in the morning

Getting too old for this ****? ;)

Normally its free but for you maki € 50 ;)

Normally its free but for you maki € 50 ;)

My friend Bubba wants to know will you take a deposit....

down the back of your throat :pac:

Getting too old for this ****? ;)

I shudda gone to Spec Savers :p

My friend Bubba wants to know will you take a deposit....

down the back of your throat :pac:

There's something seriously wrong with you man... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Guys just pointing out that BJJ.ie is just a website for information and articles, we do not run competitions and our relationship with Gus is simply that we want to help him get publicity for his tournament to further BJJ in ireland, we have no involvment in running the BJJ Irish Cup whatsoever.

I'm mentioning this because yet again I'm receiving emails from people asking me to change their weight category, why registration is closed, etc. If you have any queries please contact Gus directly via his website (on the registration link i posted on the first page).

Any sign of a rough timetable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement