Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Irish BJJ Cup 27th August

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gusuk

1st IRISH BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU CUP 2011 - IBJJF Rules - Saturday 27th of August 2011
    Please be at the venue at least 50min before your fights starts for the weigh ins
    Mat 1

10.00am to 10.35am – White Belt Super Feather – Adult
    10.35am to 11.35am – White Belt Middle – Adult
    11.35am to 11.40am – White Belt Middle – Kids
    11.40am to 11.55am – White Belt Medium Heavy – Juvenile /teens
    11.55am to 12.30am – White Belt Middle – Master
    12.30pm to 12.55pm – Brown Belt Middle – Adult
    12.55pm to 13.15pm – Purple Belt Medium Heavy – Adult
    13.15pm to 13.35pm – Blue Belt Feather – Adult
    13.35pm to 14.00pm – Blue Medium Heavy - Adult
    14.00pm to 14.20pm – Blue Belt Middle – Master
    14.20pm to 14.25pm – Blue Belt Heavy – Master

Mat2

10.00am to 10.55am – White Belt Feather – Adult
    10.55am to 11.25am – White Belt Medium Heavy – Adult
    11.25am to 11.45am – White Belt Feather – Kids
    11.45am to 11.50am – White Belt Super Heavy – Adult
    11.50am to 12.25am – White Belt Medium Heavy – Master
    12.25pm to 12.50pm – White Belt Ultra Heavy – Master
    12.50pm to 13.00pm – Brown Belt Light – Adult
    13.00pm to 13.20pm – White Feather – Female
    13.20pm to 14.20pm – Blue Belt Light – Adult

Mat 3

10.00am to 11.00am – White Belt Light – Adult
    11.00am to 11.20am – White Belt Heavy – Adult
    11.20 am to 11.50am – White Belt Light – Juvenile/teens
    11.50am to 12.15pm – White Belt Ultra Heavy – Adult
    12.15pm to 12.40pm – White Belt Heavy – Master
    12.40pm to 13.10pm – Purple Belt Middle – Adult
    13.10pm to 13.15pm – White Medium Heavy - Female
    13.15pm to 13.40pm – Blue Belt Middle – Adult
    13.40pm to 14.00pm – Blue Belt Super Heavy – Adult
    14.00pm to 14.05pm – Blue Belt Light – Master
    14.05pm to 14.25pm – Blue Medium Heavy - Master
    Entrance on Clancarthy Road -
    Collins Avenue East, Donnycarney, Dublin 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Good luck to all competitors tomorrow, and to the organisers so that it is run with a hitch. There is a good amount registered, hopefully this will be the norm for Irish competitions, and that there will be more competitions in future because of this. Tomorrow should be a good day of great Jiujitsu! Good luck to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Well that was a great day as expected! A big thanks to the very professional organisers, it was run so smoothly will all divisions running on schedule as far as I could tell. There was a great turnout of competitors from many different gyms around the country! The level of the whitebelts was impressive today, the standard of BJJ here is on the rise so quickly with the many great gyms establishing themselves. The Purples and Browns were great to watch! The Brown belt division was so close that any of the four couldve gotten gold, but hard luck to Darragh O Conail losing by two points in a close and exciting final. Well done team Morcegao. There was only 3 in my division but Im happy with my gold after beating the very tough Adam Corcoran (after Adam beat 64kg 17 year old badass Adam Carroll, a good friend of mine).

Well done to Coolmine BJJ for their rake of medals in all white belt divisions, to my teammates at SBG for a great showing with many medals in the blue and purple, to team Morcegao for a great showing in the Brown belt division, to Darragh O Conail's Ribiero Jiujitsu for showing the great BJJ that they are taught by Darragh, to Alliance Sligo for bringing an impressive team all the way to Dublin, to the teenagers for a great showing (In particular, James Gallagher from Strabane, Conor Mini Malone from Coolmine and Sam from Ribeiro).

A great day for BJJ in Ireland! Osss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Extremely well run tournament! about 150 competitors I think, got beaten in my division but came back and won the absolute, happy out!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

da-bres wrote: »
    Extremely well run tournament! about 150 competitors I think, got beaten in my division but came back and won the absolute, happy out!:)

I was there, and this checks out (checked out).

Hi Guys just made home. I had a great day in Dublin today. Meet old friends made some new friends. Great fights!!!! Many Thanks to you all for the support. Special thanks to all the referees and table stuff with out you guys it would have been impossible.

Here are the results.

White Belt

Super Feather – Adult

1. Tom Halpin – BJJ Revolution
    2. Carl McCann –BJJ Revolution
    3. Andrew McGahon – Team Torres

Feather

1. Paul Pike – Rilion Gracie Ireland
    2. Stephen Burke – SBG Ireland
    3. Colin Moloney – Fights Sport Clare
    4. Brain Gorst – Team Torres

Light - Adult

1. David Phelan – Ribeiro Jui JItsu
    2. Thomas Martin – SBG Ireland
    3. Pat Sheridan – Ribeiro Jui Jitsu
    4. Mark O ‘ Toole – SBG

Light – Juvenile

1. Conor Malone – SBG
    2. Sam McNally -Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu
    3. Jay Sheridan – BJJ Revolution
    4. Sean 0’Rourke –Team Sapo

Middle – Adult

1. Krzysztof Renn – Berserkers Team Ireland
    2. Brian 0’Hara – Alliance Ireland
    3. Paul Hamill – Legend BJJ

Middle – Master

1. Stephen Ward – Legion BJJ
    2. Arto Toomsalu – Alliance Ireland
    3. Julian Ticehurst – Team Torres

Kids Middle

1. Culan Ryan – Combat Sports Centre
    2. Tommy King - Fight Sports Clare

Feather Female

1. Niamh Murphy –
    2. Tereza Macken – Kyuzogym
    3. Michale O’Riordain - SBG Ireland
    4. Leanne O’Leary – Legion BJJ

Feather – Teens

1. James Gallanger – Strabane Fight Team
    2. Alexander O’Sullivan - SBG Ireland
    3. Dominic Talty – Fight Sport Clare

Medium Heavy – Adult

1. Ayo Daly – Team Sapo
    2. Janis Malins – Team Tyano
    3. Matthew Mullen – Team Torres

Medium Heavy – Juvenile

1. Ian Harper – Next Generation
    2. Craig Mcarthy – Team Sapo
    3. Conall Harding – Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu

Heavy – Adult

1. Pawel Kozlowski – Legion BJJ
    2. Lukaz Makosz – Balance Ireland
    3. Harry Guiness - Team Ryano

Heavy – Master

1. Eoin Lacey – Primal MMA
    2. Seamus O’Leary – Athy BJJ
    3. Cormac O’Hanlon – Team Torres

Ultra Heavy- Adult

1. Sean Savage – SBG
    2. Chris Kelly – Athy BJJ
    3. Daryl Whelan – SBG

Medium Heavy – Master

1. Dave Kelly – Team Ryano
    2. Marcin Dunaj – BJJ Revolution
    3. Paul Greene – Team Torres
    4. Ian Hoyle - BJJ Revolution

Super Heavy - Adult

1. Liam Greaney – SBG Ireland
    2. Evan Regna – Alliance Ireland

Ultra Heavy – Master

1. Joe Neeson – Team Torres
    2. Darren Gales – Rilion Gracie Ireland
    3. Paul Walsh - BJJ Revolution
    4. Michael Burke – BJJ Revolution

Blue Belts

Absolute

1. Joe Breslin – SBG
    2. Chris Leandy – Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu
    3. Miso Crkon – BJJ Revolution
    4. Richie Gorey – Pedro Bessa

Feather – Adult

1. Karl Redmond – SBG
    2. Adam Corcoran – SBG
    3. Adam Carrol - SBG

Light – Adult

1. Tim Murphy – Point Blank Gym
    2. Dean Donnelly – SBG Ireland
    3. Patricl Mc Bride – Rilion Gracie Ireland
    4. Jon Sheridan - SBG Ireland

Middle – Adult

1. Neil Mullen –
    2. Daniel Quinones – BJJ School UK

Medium Heavy – Adult

1. Ciaran Mcfadden - Rillion Gracie Ireland
    2. Richie Crosdale – SBG
    3. Sebastian Warzbingki – Team Sapo

Super Heavy- Adult

1. Damian Rogala – Polonia Judo
    2. Tom Dargle – Drysdale Jiu Jitsu

Middle-Master

1. Darren Curtis – Athy BJJ
    2. Phillip Doyle – Team Sapo
    3. Gary Doyle - Team Ryano

Medium Heavy – Master

1. Robert Orlovsky - GB Braulio Estima
    2. Alexandre Moreira – Team Sapo

Purple Belts

Purple Absolute

1. Tom King – SBG
    2. Wayne Fagan – BJJ Revolution
    3. Steve Coll – Rillion Gracie

Middle – Adult

1. Stephen Coll – Rillion Gracie
    2. Alex Castro – Legion BJJ
    3. Morgan Smyth – Alliance Ireland

Brown Belts

1. Gera Nubucco
    2. Dorragh O’ Conail – Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu
    3. Gareth Neale – GB Victor Estima

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Really enjoyed today. The blue belt absolute was nothing short of friggin awesome.
    Everything was very well run and on time. Was disappointed there wasnt more intrest in a white belt absolute but what ya gonna do.
    1st competition in the gi and took lots away from it. Mainly to start fighting for points and not just position and submission(took my opponents back twice but due to my preferance only had one hook in both times only gettin an advantage).
    Thanks gus. Lookin forward to the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Brilliantly well run competition and the venue was excellent I thought.First time in the Gi too. Was first up on the 1st mat too so if anyone was snapping photos of that let me know. Got a Bronze and was all in all pleased with my performance. Had a triangle locked in for about 3 minutes in the first fight which blew my legs out for the rest and currently still a little sore.

7 Medals out of 11 Competitors for Team Torres!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Feather Female Niamh Murphy Gold Medal winner is from Coolmine BJJ/SBG Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    Feather Female Niamh Murphy Gold Medal winner is from Coolmine BJJ/SBG Ireland :)

Would you like me to edit that or would you rather Gus take note first?.

Would you like me to edit that or would you rather Gus take note first?.

No biggie man!

I thought the tournament was very very well run, some reggae and a food stand would have been awesome. We were finished quite early and the brackets all seemed to be on time and running smoothly. So fair play to Gus and all table staff and refs. The officials were professional and helped make it a great event :)

Not pleased at all that there was no paramedics/first aiders or order of Malta on standby, something I didn't cop until one of my competitors was injured and we had to ring an ambulance. Anyways, next time!

Extremely pleased with coolmines athletes and our medal haul! I went in looking for our first gold medal and I got 4 golds, 3 silvers and one bronze! :)

The teens division was phenomenal the purples and browns was great to watch fair play to Darragh O'Conail on a great performance! :)

Also that had to be the biggest girl competition so far in Irish BJJ...? 5 girls in the division? Correct me if I'm wrong! :) anyway it's a great sign for the development of the sport. It's only getting better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Someone quipped that for insurance there probably should have been a medical team there but maybe grappling is different from MMA.

Luke I saw the girl blow her knee out ( I think ) how is she ?

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Someone quipped that for insurance there probably should have been a medical team there but maybe grappling is different from MMA.

I've never been to a Judo competition that didn't have medical cover.

There really should be medical cover at such events.

Luke I saw the girl blow her knee out ( I think ) how is she ?

She's good mate thanks for asking she is an absolute warrior! :) straight from the hospital to the pub on crutches and gi still on also. It was a freak incident, but she will be back after a few weeks.

She's good mate thanks for asking she is an absolute warrior! :) straight from the hospital to the pub on crutches and gi still on also. It was a freak incident, but she will be back after a few weeks.

Is that the girl necking a pint on facebook?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Open to correction on this but I heard there was a paramedic team booked weeks in advance and they just didnt show?

Is that the girl necking a pint on facebook?.

Maki, my Facebook is full of girls from Coolmine necking pints. Best club ever. Lol

Maki, my Facebook is full of girls from Coolmine necking pints. Best club ever. Lol

Half expected to see you all in the Gypo last night actually!.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

Absolutely loved it! My first Gi competition having started training back in November.

I was very happy to finish 4th in a very big and very competitive division, even took home a few stitches on my chin as souvenir.

Thanks to the organizers and my fellow competitors and other clubs for running a great tournament in the right spirit.

Really proud of the rest of my teammates at Coolmine!

Chris89 wrote: »
    Open to correction on this but I heard there was a paramedic team booked weeks in advance and they just didnt show?

Yeah they were booked and just didn't show, very poor form. Not gus's fault at all but I'm still pissed off about it.

• Advertisement

Yeah they were booked and just didn't show, very poor form. Not gus's fault at all but I'm still pissed off about it.

Going by how smooth the rest of the event ran I'd tend to believe this.

Btw, some great women's team fights from the Judo W.C. on www.ippon.tv right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Did anyone get any pics or videos that they've put up online? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm open to correction but I think the Irish Open 2 years ago had 6 girls. Nonetheless it was a great show and it meant my white belt girl got 2 very competitive matches in her first tournament.

I enjoyed the day, I just came to watch and coach but was delighted to see a full, very well contested brown belt division. Gera is a beast, great to watch.

A couple of sticking points for me would be the amount of people allowed in and around the judging tables. It's a real problem generally in Irish tournaments. It was also pretty poor form not to have medical cover of some sort. I don't think it's a necessity to have an ambulance but certainly a paramedic or first aid team would be.

That being said, I really enjoyed the tournament generally. The guys who competed had good things to say about the division timing/organisation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

congrats, and glad to see more girls at it. Yes there was 6 girls two years ago as well, cause that was my first competition. Sorry I couldnt make it yesterday but good to see more girls and more competitiors going

I am pleased to hear that she is recovering well. She is a warrior for sure. Once again I would like to apologize for the first aid stuff not turning up. I had them booked over 4 weeks ago, on Monday I will be contacting the department and trying to find out what went wrong with them.

Mate I totally understand your feeling, cause I am too so piss off. I will learn from this experience!!!

gusuk wrote: »
    I am pleased to hear that she is recovering well. She is a warrior for sure. Once again I would like to apologize for the first aid stuff not turning up. I had them booked over 4 weeks ago, on Monday I will be contacting the department and trying to find out what went wrong with them.

Thanks mate! No need to apologise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Just to echo what others have said, good competition and really well organised. Well done to the organisers.

Having the timetable up before hand is huge as far as I'm concerned, maybe not as big a deal to the guys living in Dublin but when you have to drive a few hours to get there it makes a huge difference. The standard seemed pretty good overall, lot of exciting matches. I even got to meet (and compete against) some internet people in real life! ;)

Thanks mate! No need to apologise :)

Thanks mate!!!! It means a lot to me. See you at the next comp. On the way back to the airport we looked at 2 new venue, so next time should be bigger and better.

Time table at the comps makes live easier for all of us!!!!

Once again I had a great time in Dublin!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

anyone have a video of gera and darragh's fight?

or links to any videos from the event?

• Advertisement

gusuk wrote: »
    Thanks mate!!!! It means a lot to me. See you at the next comp. On the way back to the airport we looked at 2 new venue, so next time should be bigger and better.

Time table at the comps makes live easier for all of us!!!!

Once again I had a great time in Dublin!!!!!

Thanks pal! Everyone had a great time at it and Coolmine will definitely be back again at the next comp you run with an even bigger crew! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

it would be good to have a warm up area the next time also, not that this is the reason for any injuries, but going onto the mats cold doesnt help.

good comp, count me in for the next one.
    R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

Brilliantly well run competition and the venue was excellent I thought.First time in the Gi too. Was first up on the 1st mat too so if anyone was snapping photos of that let me know. Got a Bronze and was all in all pleased with my performance. Had a triangle locked in for about 3 minutes in the first fight which blew my legs out for the rest and currently still a little sore.

7 Medals out of 11 Competitors for Team Torres!

I think it was me in that triangle, nearly went to sleep a few times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RJJIreland

Would like to thank Gus for coming over and putting on this tournament.

Great day out, good atmosphere and some great matches.

One thing that could be improved upon would be some barriers between the matted area and spectators area.

Other than that, thanks again to Gus and I look forward to supporting the next event he puts on.

Thanks,

Darragh

r_obric wrote: »
    it would be good to have a warm up area the next time also, not that this is the reason for any injuries, but going onto the mats cold doesnt help.

good comp, count me in for the next one.
    R
    ]
    indeed we will have it, that is the main reason why I looked at the new venue before I left. Also we will have 4 mats area!!!

Thanks pal! Everyone had a great time at it and Coolmine will definitely be back again at the next comp you run with an even bigger crew! :)
    Thanks mate

RJJIreland wrote: »
    Would like to thank Gus for coming over and putting on this tournament.

Great day out, good atmosphere and some great matches.

One thing that could be improved upon would be some barriers between the matted area and spectators area.

Other than that, thanks again to Gus and I look forward to supporting the next event he puts on.

Thanks,

Darragh

Guys I am taking note of all that. I did ask my contact about the barriers, but he does not have access to it. Over here in enlgand we have it for all the comps. So if anyone has contact for barriers please let me know!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the support Darragh.

2nd Irish BJJ CUP and the 3rd Irish NOGI Cup will be bigger and better!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AllianceBJJ Ireland

We really enjoyed the tournament on Saturday. Thanks to Gus, referees, table staff, and all who helped organise this event. Very well organised and ran smoothly.

There are definitly improvements that can be made, good to hear Gus is taking note. Overall a great day out! The Alliance Team will be back for the next one for sure!
    Thanks,
    Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Sounds like a great event Gus. Nice job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement