Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring speakers from above

• 21-07-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to wire up a set of speakers in my two living rooms. The rooms are 4m * 4m square. Rooms are about 10foot tall, and planning to hang speakers about 2 foot from ceiling.

Main room will have the speakers in the 4 corners, the adjoining room will have its two speakers in the corner of the room, on the "near" wall to the other room. The walls are solid, no batons/boards etc, its an old house.

The amp is in the corner of the main room. I was planning to bring the 6 speaker wires up the corner above the amp and through the ceiling. I'll need to drill up through the ceiling from where I want the 6 speakers, and find these holes by lifting boards above.

I want to make sure the wires dont get damaged over time (or when new carpet goes in upstairs, which will happen when I have done all this), so I was planning to cut little trenches in the beams or boards above to get the wires to where they need to be. What's the best tool to cut a shallow trench in the boards and beams? I have an angle grinder and a circular saw, wondering would either work, or do I need something else?

I'd appreciate any advice on the tool I need, or any general advice of what to avoid doing. To get into the adjoining room I'll need to drill through the wall, so will prob need a mega long masonry drill bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dont cut any trenches in the beams is the best advice. Drill holes through them. Get a 20mm flat wood bit and drill through each beam about half way from the top to the bottom of any beams you need to drill.

How many beams you have to go through can depend on the house layout, which way they run etc.

Its the sort of job that experienced people would find simple enough.

If you do go ahead, ensure beyond doubt that you wont drill into any wiring or pipes which could be behind any beam you drill.

If you put up a plan of the 2 living rooms and other rooms downstairs, showing the speakers and amp positions, maybe we can see alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Dont cut any trenches in the beams is the best advice. Drill holes through them. Get a 20mm flat wood bit and drill through each beam about half way from the top to the bottom of any beams you need to drill.

How many beams you have to go through can depend on the house layout, which way they run etc.

Its the sort of job that experienced people would find simple enough.

If you do go ahead, ensure beyond doubt that you wont drill into any wiring or pipes which could be behind any beam you drill.

If you put up a plan of the 2 living rooms and other rooms downstairs, showing the speakers and amp positions, maybe we can see alternatives.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will bring the wires around the Walls of the room upstairs rather than under the beams. There would be a fair amount of beams to drill, like 13 or so.

Advertisement