Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a really good read (pure pleasure, doesn't have to be worthy!)

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Howdy!

I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the mo, dragging myself through books that should be brain candy. I'm hoping you can jump-start me out of this literary rut by recommending a really good, absorbing read.

I'm not necessarily looking for something worthy or weighty (but not excluding them either!) I've gone through several pages of the 10 books before the apocalypse thread and found some great ideas but an awful lot of 'high-fibre' worthy suggestions too.

I don't want something that will feel like a lot of work, no matter how worth it that might be. This is for pure pleasure, like chocolate (or crisps in my case!), not wholemeal lettuce which might be good for me but doesn't really whet the appetite. I've just been missing the sort of book that you can't wait to get back to and from whch have to drag yourself away.

I'm pretty open-minded about the style of book I read, however I'm not a fan of sci-fi or romance. Other than that, all suggestions welcome ... non-fiction as well as fiction.

Hope you can help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Anything written by Robert Harris.

Well written thrillers, usually historical, but as he says himself, he never lets historical authenticity get in the way of a good story. Good page turners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

My Name is Red, Pamuk

Name of the Rose, Eco

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Sergeant wrote: »
    Anything written by Robert Harris.

Well written thrillers, usually historical, but as he says himself, he never lets historical authenticity get in the way of a good story. Good page turners.

I found him to be a bad writer and wouldn't recommend.

What I would recommend is cloud atlas by david mitchell, its a book about a soul being reborn throughout history, starting in the 1820's aboard a merchant galleon and again in modern times and again in a future dystopia and finally in a post apocalyptic hawaii, it's a fantastic book, very easy to read and engrossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anything by Gerald Seymour - he does excellent, British-oriented thrillers.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The most digestible "literary" novel I've read and thoroughly enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Whats your angle OP? Are you looking for chicklit or light genre fiction? I take a healthy interest in historic/period novels, some I would regard 'high literature', the others would be more frothy and light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a very well written and entertaining book, I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

John Boyne's "Mutiny on the Bounty" - laugh-out-loud funny, but extremely well written with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I would agree with the John Boyne choice or anything by David Mitchell. I did like the Robert Harris Fatherland novel myself.
    Anything by Sarah Dunant either. In the company of the courtesan or Sacred Voices I think was the name of the other book by her. Rivetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Joe Ledger series of books by Jonathan Maberry are excellent action-thriller novels: Patient Zero, The Dragon Factory and The King Of Plagues. All concerned with the (fictional) American government agency, the D.M.S. (Department of Military Sciences), stopping global bio-warfare apocalypse. Excellent, gripping stuff.

Also, give Scott Sigler a look; a personal favourite of mine from his novels is Ancestor which is another gripping (albeit incredibly gory) read. Something like Predator mixed with Jurassic Park. Great actioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Patrickodon

Try 2666 by Roberto Bolano. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Try 2666 by Roberto Bolano. Brilliant.

An amazing novel, but not light reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

A couple I have read lately that I really enjoyed were by Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth and the sequel World Without End. Both of them set between 1000-1300 AD easy to read, very enjoyable, compelling story, highly reccomend them to you OP.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbroken-Laura-Hillenbrand/dp/0007378017

maybe not literature but a compelling read for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I just read the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay and loved them, nice easy reading, very funny at times. Gerald Durrell's autobiographical books about his eccentric childhood are some of my absolute favourites, especially 'My Family and Other Animals'. I don't know how many times I've read that book at this stage, and I never get bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

How about some Agatha Christie? The Poirot books are my favourite comfort reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

The collaborator - Gerald Seymour

Any of the Aurelio Zen books by Michael Dibdin

The English Passengers Mather Neale

The Devil's Star Jo Nesbo

Cloud Atlas David Mitchell

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Why not try some Tom Sharpe or PG Wodehouse for some light relief. Both very entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 M.O.L.

Heres a few great novels for the hols.

The Bookseller of Kabul - Åsne Seierstad
    I am David - Ann Holm
    The Boy in Striped Pajamas - John Boyne.

And I would highly recommend Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Naidylady

Hey,

I read the book 'The Slap' recently enough. It is an easy read but a book that will get you thinking too. It is set in Melbourne and based around the fallout of an incident at a barbeque, where a parent slaps someone else's child.

If you want a laugh out loud read and have ever done some backpacking, I would recommend William Sutcliffe's 'Are You Experienced'. It is so short you will read it in a few hours but so funny you will find yourself laughing about it a few days later.

I also really enjoyed 'Room' by Emma O' Donoghue. Again it is an easy read but with a really interesting theme and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

If you've never read it before then To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee could be an interesting option. It's easy enough to be read by transition year students but has so much depth as to stimulate as far as you want to take it. A wonderful book and a winner all round I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 M.O.L.

old gregg wrote: »
    If you've never read it before then To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee could be an interesting option. It's easy enough to be read by transition year students but has so much depth as to stimulate as far as you want to take it. A wonderful book and a winner all round I reckon.

Forgot to mention that. ,

To Kill a Mockingbird is literally one of the best story's ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

if you want a good story that you cant put down i would recommend The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton the story goes from 1913 to 1975 to 2005 and is pure reading pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭HornyDevil

Any of the books in the Strangest series are quite amazing.

http://www.strangestbooks.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Anything by Boris Akunin...very funny, very witty

Stephen King is my rainy day comfort read. It is always great for me.

Recently read Hell at the breech by Tom Franklin - a cracking read

Also try the story of edgar sawtelle, by david wroblewski, one of the best books I've read.

Also anything by Barbara Kingsolver....she's clever, funny and tells a good story, the poisonwood bible is my favourite of hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

'Born to run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen' - Christopher McDougall.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭HornyDevil

Does anyone actually listen to recommendations on here . . and buy?

I doubt it, so what's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

HornyDevil wrote: »

I must be the only one who does. Oh god I feel embarrassed now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

HornyDevil wrote: »

I do. I go through a few of these threads, write down about 10 or 20 titles & authors that sound good, get a few mentions etc.

Then I head into Chapters, see if can get them 2nd hand or else I buy them new (not all 20, 1 or 2 at a time!). I have some weird thing where I can't read a book on loan, have to actually own it & put it on my shelf afterward.

+1 for the Ken Follett books - Pillars of the Earth and the sequel. It's like a medieval soap opera, very very readable. They're both 1100 pages long but you really don't notice it.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden is another great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

hatful wrote: »
    I must be the only one who does. Oh god I feel embarrassed now :eek:

Another one here, I like getting the recommendations. It opens up my reading range. I don't always like reading the same stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You could try Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It may look like a weighty tome (and it's written as if it was a Victorian novel) but it's a really light read that people tend to fly through. Very funny in parts and a fascinating story.

Anything by Richard Yates (if you want something darker). His Easter Parade is actually quite funny (but also very, very depressing).

Have you tried Daphne Du Maurier? My Cousin Rachel and Rebecca are very light reads, with some interesting twists thrown in for good measure.

Advertisement