Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a really good read (pure pleasure, doesn't have to be worthy!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

HornyDevil wrote: »
    Does anyone actually listen to recommendations on here . . and buy?

I doubt it, so what's the point.

I guess you have to take the OP at his/her word and assume that when they specifically ask for a recommendation, they may actually take you up on your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

You could try Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It may look like a weighty tome (and it's written as if it was a Victorian novel) but it's a really light read that people tend to fly through. Very funny in parts and a fascinating story.

Anything by Richard Yates (if you want something darker). His Easter Parade is actually quite funny (but also very, very depressing).

Have you tried Daphne Du Maurier? My Cousin Rachel and Rebecca are very light reads, with some interesting twists thrown in for good measure.

I love this book. It is bloody huge but I'm down to my last 150 pages and wish I had more left. I hear word of a sequel but I don't know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

I'd recommend any of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Ormus wrote: »
    I love this book. It is bloody huge but I'm down to my last 150 pages and wish I had more left. I hear word of a sequel but I don't know when.

I felt exactly the same reading it. Must try some of her other stuff. Apparently her collection of short stories if very similar to the stories in the footnotes throughout Jonathan Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I loved 'City of Thieves' by David Benioff

Still waiting to find somebody else who has read it, or who I can persuade to read it (well got my boyfriend to, I suppose he counts!)

An entertaining story, that can't be accused of being too light either. I'm just waiting for the movie now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood is based on it) by Charlaine Harris is a very good light/fun read. I really enjoyed them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

HornyDevil wrote: »
    Does anyone actually listen to recommendations on here . . and buy?

I doubt it, so what's the point.

Bought "One Day by David Nicholls" and read it recently. Good read. It was recommended on a boards forum.(where I saw it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Awful book! Hated the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

Cannot believe no-one has recommended the Jasper Fforde "Thursday Next Chronicles" lol
    "The Eyre Affair", "Lost in a Good Book", "Well of Lost Plots", "Something Rotten", "First Amongst Sequels" - an hilarious voyage through the bits of literature that will have you kinked laughing - cannot wait to get to "One of our Thursdays is Missing" myself to catch up with shenanigans in BookWorld!

Have a lurk around Jasper's website - you can get a feel for the type of stuff he writes:

http://www.jasperfforde.com/index2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

animal farm is nice and simple and short and thought-provoking, it's one of those rare books beloved by young kids and snobby academics - just a great read, i'd enjoy the story for what it is on first reading and if you enjoy read it again as it references a particular time in history and most of the characters represent a real person or group of people so you'll be getting a nice history lesson too

so there you have it, an enjoyable read, an allegory, a morality tale and a history lesson all wrapped up in about 100 pages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

for those recommending "Pillars of the Earth" (which is great, and fits the OPs request perfectly) I would also suggest his latest "Fall of Giants"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Frederick Forsyth's stuff is also cracking, especially his debut The Day Of The Jackal. Great detail in these books, meticulously researched and they all whip along at breakneck pace, ensuring you're always turning the page to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

tbh wrote: »
    for those recommending "Pillars of the Earth" (which is great, and fits the OPs request perfectly) I would also suggest his latest "Fall of Giants"

Anyone who enjoyed Ken Follett's books might also like the Shardlake series by CJ Samson.

They are crime novels based in Tudor London. There are five in the series but can be read separately without having read the previous ones (albeit reading in order will help understand the characters more).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

I'd agree with Life of Pi - great book. Also Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum - that's maybe more of a 'woman's' book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Someone mentioned Robert Harris at the start there, highly recommend 'Imperium', easy reading and really enjoyable.

Another book popped into my head reading this thread, Winterdance, read it years ago and loved it, if you like dogs or general endurance type stories this is great (true story if i recall correctly).

To the person wondering about who reads these recommendations, this board is probably responsible for about 90% of the books I read nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Read The Catcher in the Rye for the first time earlier in the year, I'd highly recommend it. It's humourous and flows well, just about the right length too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

DazMarz wrote: »
    Frederick Forsyth's stuff is also cracking, especially his debut The Day Of The Jackal. Great detail in these books, meticulously researched and they all whip along at breakneck pace, ensuring you're always turning the page to see what happens next.

I'd hardly call that a comfort read, due to the incredible level of detail but it is a fantastic book.

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is a thoroughly enjoyable and funny book. I'm not sure if you have to be a sports fan to really get it. I'd assume it's still enjoyable if you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Brilliant book.
    The Passage begins in the near future and details an apocalyptic and, later, post-apocalyptic world that is overrun by vampire-like beings that are infected by a highly contagious virus. What begins as a project to develop a new immunity-boosting drug based on a virus carried by an unnamed species of bat in South America eventually becomes the virus that transforms the world. The novel begins in 2018 and spans more than ninety years as colonies of humans attempt to live in a world filled with superhuman creatures who are continually on the hunt for fresh blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The diaries of Adrian Mole are very funny and an easy read:

http://www.adrianmole.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Douglas Coupland's name gets bandied about for the likes Gen X, but I'd skip initially that and go for the Mircoserfs/J-pod. Brilliant stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

Maybe something by Morgan Llwelyn such as Lion of Ireland. I have always really enjoyed her historical fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Sergeant wrote: »
    Anything written by Robert Harris.

Well written thrillers, usually historical, but as he says himself, he never lets historical authenticity get in the way of a good story. Good page turners.

his newest book The Fear Index - a bang up to date thriller with greek unrest and markets trembing and a hedge fund owner centre stage is a great read:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a very well written and entertaining book, I'd highly recommend it.

I could never warm to it. A scary dog? Wow, it'd better be a really scary dog! There's no dog? Hm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Two authors I can recommend for the OP if he/she hasn't read them already are John Steinbeck & Graham Greene. Both would probably fall into the "worthy" category in terms of the high regard in which they are held, but their work is actually incredibly readable, with wonderful use of language. Read Greene's "The Quiet American" a couple of months ago & got sucked in & emotionally attached to the characters within the first few pages.

Definitely agree with recommendations of PG Wodehouse, can read his stuff over & over again. Another classic from the comic genre to check out is "Diary of a Nobody" by George Grossmith. Written in the 19th Century but its' commentaries on middle class life & the misfortunes of the protagonist still ring true (it inspired a lot of 20th century comedy) & I laughed out loud through most of the book.

Something a little bit different to also check out are Maurice LeBlanc's series of books on "gentleman-burglar" Arsène Lupin. Very readable & enjoyable. Not exactly comic fiction but lots of funny incidents as one follows the exploits of the hero & marvels at his audaciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

A really fantastic set of books to read is Patrick O Brian's Aubrey- Maturin series.

Don't be put off by the fact that this is a nautical series with the action centered on the adventures of a Royal Navy officer(Jack Aubrey) at the time of the Napoleonic conflict.

Just enjoy the fantastic prose, the brilliantly crafted characters, with none better than ship's surgeon(and a bit more), the half Irish half Catalan, Stephen Maturin.

Great adventures and a compelling love interest.

Try to read them (20 books) in order - and if you find the first one ( Master and Commander) a little difficult don't be put off- just go on to read book 2 Post Captain.

You'll then be totally hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

I've also been on the lookout for reading for pleasure-type books so love all the recommenations, keep them coming!

+1 for Steinbeck, just finished 'East of Eden' and loved it or for a shorter but just as great read try 'Of mice and men.'

If you liked the Twilight series (or know any teens that did) get Amanda Hocking's 'Switched,' first book in a series that's bound to be turned into a film.

'The Bonesetters Daughter' by Amy Tan is a page turner, really got caught up in it and a great insight into Chinese culture 1920/30's. Someone else recommended 'Memoir's of a Geisha,' if you liked that then this one is up your street too.

'Before I Die' can't remember the author; I'd put this in with the Jody Picoult genre of writing, sad at times but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irene818

You may read The monk who sold his Ferrari by Robyn Sharma. This is the last book I read so far. I find it very easy and pleasant to read. It is an inspiring tale providing a step-by-step approach to living with greater courage and joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

read the 3 tom rob smith books..child 44,the secret speech and agent 6 ..excellent reads

Advertisement