Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pvc Soffit Facia & Gutters

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations lads for reasonable price with good quality product and work.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Any recommendations lads for reasonable price with good quality product and work.
    Acorn in wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Are u sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

LARRY Farrell..lives out on the cork road..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Merch wrote: »
    Are u sure?

Why you say that?

They did a job for a neighbour

• Advertisement

They did a job for a neighbour

and............... can you pm me pls.

pm? why pm,

pm? why pm,

tom thumb posted Acorn in Wexford,
    then you posted Are you Sure?

I take that to suggest you wouldn't recommend Acorn or did your post get crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I can recommend Acorn, did the full job on my house, fascia, soffit, gutters and downpipes. Neat job, quick, no mess left behind, and very good value.

I was told by the person that got the house done that it was 13 or 14 hundred to get done, standard 3 bed semi, i didnt think there was anything spectacular about it, personally I thought they were robbed, this is going back a few years so Im assuming its the same crowd, be surprised if it isn't.
    Unless prices have come down in the last few years

I still cant see why u would want me to pm you as it makes it seem like you are connected to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

I was told by the person that got the house done that it was 13 or 14 hundred to get done, standard 3 bed semi, i didnt think there was anything spectacular about it, personally I thought they were robbed, this is going back a few years so Im assuming its the same crowd, be surprised if it isn't.
    Unless prices have come down in the last few years

I still cant see why u would want me to pm you as it makes it seem like you are connected to them.
    thats surprising cos they only cost me about 800 to do mine about two years ago and its much bigger than a three bed semi. Acorn , that is.

Never heard of a quote less than 1000
    Are acorn insured reg company, they looked as fly by night as anyone else that does that job.

edit on previous post not allowed
    the amounts charged for that work are bordering on extortion given the cost of the materials and the work involved.
    I'm not saying it isn't difficult to climb a ladder and drag up a length of pvc and then nail it to the fascia, (I've read an article from the UK, dont know where it is now, but it was explaining the issues caused by installing uPVC fascias and soffits on the existing wooden ones, ie trapping water/rotting the wooden fascias/soffits which are supporting the uPVC, I'm suprised we dont hear more about the stuff falling off and hitting people. The job doesnt warrant the cost of cutting up pvc, and hammering nails in my opinion (huge markup). So for people that think they have a nice clean job done visually, I'm sure it does, but whats it nailed to?

edit, I'd recommend getting it repainted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Never heard of a quote less than 1000
    Are acorn insured reg company, they looked as fly by night as anyone else that does that job.
    I got them to do my house as i was impressed with some new housing estates they did. They are genuine lads and i dont think they would be gettin the big jobs unless they were well insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

edit on previous post not allowed
    the amounts charged for that work are bordering on extortion given the cost of the materials and the work involved.
    I'm not saying it isn't difficult to climb a ladder and drag up a length of pvc and then nail it to the fascia, (I've read an article from the UK, dont know where it is now, but it was explaining the issues caused by installing uPVC fascias and soffits on the existing wooden ones, ie trapping water/rotting the wooden fascias/soffits which are supporting the uPVC, I'm suprised we dont hear more about the stuff falling off and hitting people. The job doesnt warrant the cost of cutting up pvc, and hammering nails in my opinion (huge markup). So for people that think they have a nice clean job done visually, I'm sure it does, but whats it nailed to?

edit, I'd recommend getting it repainted

If the job is done right any rotten timber will repaired before it goes it and it will be vented to prevent and moisture behind it. But most people don't know when the job is done right, I used to install it when I was in college and by far the majority of jobs looked grand from the ground, but were done half arsed.

Also the job isn't as straight forward as you make it out to be, I agree that theres alot of places charging extortionate amounts to do the work but it is an hard and skilled job.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    If the job is done right any rotten timber will repaired before it goes it and it will be vented to prevent and moisture behind it. But most people don't know when the job is done right, I used to install it when I was in college and by far the majority of jobs looked grand from the ground, but were done half arsed.

Also the job isn't as straight forward as you make it out to be, I agree that theres alot of places charging extortionate amounts to do the work but it is an hard and skilled job.

I'm not going to dissagree with what you're saying for the most part.
    Just see it getting done in a day, certainly not much more. Never seen anyone pull out old fascia/soffits, not saying everyone does that, but all I've seen/heard/been told, I'd say thats the majority of cases.

Ok, hard enough, but not so sure about skilled,

Look I'm sure there are some decent/genuine people doing it, maybe, but if they are charging the same rate as the guys that just lash it up then its going to cost a fortune, so I cant see them competing against cowboys on price, as mostly thats what people are looking at, which is a short term view not longterm.

For the most part people approaching me to encourage me to get it done come across dodgy. I guess i'm after getting a set in me against people trying to tell how much of a great deal they are going to do me :(

edit, I think a good preperation/sand, replace damaged existing fascia/sofit and some paint will, clean up/protect and last as good as pvc fascia, and thats what was there before Upvc came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

larry farrell does good work ... i can recommend him

Have to get moving on this in the Summer, and think I'll go this route. Any recommendations for someone reliable who would do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

+1 for Larry Farrell

Advertisement