Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TomTom POI: 'Gosafecamsirl' - Garda Go Safe Traffic Cams

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I wanted something that would in particular tell me when I am _leaving_ one of the new Go-Safe camera zones. I find the entry to the zones well marked but the exit is never marked - I wonder why??

I couldn't see something like this around for free so here it is - a simple POI at the start/end of each zone.

Things to note:
    - the POI only indicates the start/end of a zone. Not whether you are entering or leaving the zone. It's up to you to decide which is happening. If you don't see a camera sign you are leaving the zone (or the sign is missing!)
    - you won't be warned if you enter a zone from a side road, or leave a zone via a turn off. This can be a little confusing especially in urban environments.
    - sometimes the zone as per these POIs is quite a bit bigger (say 500m either side) than what is signed on the road - that is just a discrepancy between the co-ords on the garda web site and the physical signs.
    - finally this works well for me, but I take no responsibility for any errors/omissions/driving-bans incurred/raised judges eyebrows/ etc etc etc...

Installation on my TomTom ONE v3:
    * Connect your device to your PC
    * Using TomTom Home application - Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. - Points of Interest - Sort on: Date, View: Republic of Ireland - Select 'Gosafecamsirl' and Add. The app does it's stuff.
    * Disconnect/Eject your TomTom using TomTom Home
    * Physically disconnect your TomTom from your PC
    * On your TomTom - Main Menu - Change Preferences - Warn when near POI - Gosafecamsirl - Warn when closer than: I use 250m - Select Sound - Warn only if POI is on route: NO. - Done.

I'd welcome feedback on how it works out for you..

Enjoy,
    Tullaman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

cant find this using Tomtom Home.

Is it still up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Not all zones have signs, not all signs mark zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tullaman

@testicle: (btw is that left or right? - actually don't answer!) Yes I did notice driving that on the Dublin side of Naas there are camera signs that do not correspond to the map on the garda web-site and hence are not in the Gosafecamsirl poi list.

Begs the questions where is the definitive list of zones?

I presume there is a defined process that the authorities have to go through to create/modify camera zones. And while making sure the garda's kml is up to date might not be one of them surely putting the signs in place is required. So while there may be signs that do not mark a zone, I doubt that there are zones that lack signs. That would surely be good grounds for appeal - especially given that a district court has already thrown out some speeding penalties (http://www.corkman.ie/news/speed-vans-fail-basic-legal-test-2833583.html) as it could not be proven who was driving. And I thought the whole idea about the carefully crafted speed-camera legislation was that it was not required of the authorities only to prove that a car had been driven over the limit not to prove who was driving at the time. Guess the judges didn't get the memo on that one.

@morana: should be there. I don't have my tomtom at this pc so I can't check right now

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paldude

Hi this sounds very useful, but is it still there?

Like @morana I can't find it using TomTom Home (I did follow your instructions above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dellboy

Hi guys
    I released a free app last summer that warns you as you enter and leave the speed camera zones. It correctly detects when you enter a zone from any position or mid way. Only issue I have is correctly detecting when you pass over a speed zone when driving on motorways. One example is the motorway section from Nenagh to Limerick. It triggers as you go over the flyover.

It's only on iPhone at the moment but could be persuaded to do Android version if there was enough interest.

It runs in the background and is hard on battery obviously so make sure to use charger in car. It tries to minimise full GPS usage but I think it's more important to correctly detect start and end than saving a bit of power so it's aggressive enough as it gets close to zone.

I use it when travelling parts of the country I'm not familiar with. I notice not all zones have entry signs yet. Sneaky. There are no exit signs for zones.

The app is called trapzone. Feedback would be appreciated.

Hoping to do a major UI update in early 2012.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
Advertisement