Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

fricatus wrote: »

So if M&S or Brown Thomas were in Ferrybank, people in Wexford would travel to it, whereas they wouldn't go (literally) the extra mile to the city centre, where they would also have an array of other shops, plus all the nice cafés and restaurants in town?

Not saying you're wrong, but I would have to ask why? Is parking/traffic that much of a big deal?

Yes, I believe so. The perception in Wexford is that getting across the bridge, parking and the options on offer shopping wise are not worth travelling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

2 wrongs do not make a right.

You say that Ferrybank could well do with an ardkeen style development, so a supermarket...a chemist...a bank...

That could slot nicely into "Ferrybank", along with the library...maybe a citizens information centre...a creche...an internet cafe.... a lot of things that wouldn't be much threat to the city centre...

There is a brand spanking new Small Development called Ross Abbey that never opened because of Ferrybank.

Knock Ferrybank and let Ross Abbey Cetre open - simple.

http://www.halleygrace.com/view.php?pid=683&gid=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'm aware of Ross abbey but that doesn't really solve the puzzle of Ferrybank shopping centre.

Just confirms that they're all idiots who had too much money and not an ounce of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yes, I believe so. The perception in Wexford is that getting across the bridge, parking and the options on offer shopping wise are not worth travelling for.

Not being smart, but I find it genuinely perplexing that you say people would nevertheless drive to Ferrybank from Wexford. It's not that hard to get across the bridge and find parking if you've just driven 30 miles, part of it through New Ross!

Maybe I'm biased, but I find the city centre an attractive place to be these days - certainly better than any shopping centre. By the same token, I was down in Mahon Point and yeah, big swingin' mickey... but Cork city centre is so much more interesting and real - so that's where I would go if I happened to be down around the "real capital".

How about if the Newgate Centre opened say, and contained a nice big M&S, Zara, H&M, etc. Would it be worth travelling then?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Anybody who has been in the city centre the last two weeks would have to be hugely impressed, The whole WINTERVAL festival has really put so much life into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone remember the name of the small TV / AV shop that was in town, a couple of doors up from McDonalds? It must have closed in around 2006 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone remember the name of the small TV / AV shop that was in town, a couple of doors up from McDonalds? It must have closed in around 2006 I'd say.

RTV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

RTV think they did TV & rental TVs

How did that come to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks guys. Was just thinking about shops that used to exist in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A petition to wind up Dunnes Stores over a €21.6m debt has been withdrawn after the Commercial Court heard that the money was paid in full yesterday.
    Brian O'Moore SC for Dunnes Stores said that its earlier reasons for non-payment were genuinely held and no discourtesy to the court was intended.
    Mr Justice Peter Kelly said that the earlier refusal to settle the judgement could have been viewed as a challenge to the authority of the court even if it was not intended.

Maurice Collins SC for Holtglen ltd said he was not seeking costs but Mr Justice Kelly said he would have granted them if an order was sought.
    The summary judgment, granted last March by Mr Justice Peter Kelly, related to the retail group's alleged failure to settle a debt for building works at a shopping centre in Kilkenny.
    Holtglen built a shopping centre in Kilkenny in which Dunnes agreed to be the anchor tenant.

The Ferrybank shopping centre was completed in 2009 but Holtglen later became insolvent and its Bank of Ireland loans were transferred to National Asset Management Ltd (NALM), a company of the National Asset Management Agency.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1214/dunnes-stores-winding-up-order-withdrawn.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

People are always banging on about getting a Marks & Sparks here. Maybe the company managing the shopping centre should offer them free rent for a few years to get them in there (that is, assuming Dunnes aren't going to open).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Gadgie wrote: »
    People are always banging on about getting a Marks & Sparks here. Maybe the company managing the shopping centre should offer them free rent for a few years to get them in there (that is, assuming Dunnes aren't going to open).

Dunnes were offered 5 years free as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Usually its 5 years free on a 20 yer lease etc, 5 eyars free on a 7 year lease would be bending over backwards!

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2013/02/20/shopping-centre-to-be-sold-at-fraction-of-building-cost/

The 'other' shopping centre in Ferrybank is up for sale. This one is about the size that was needed. Being sold by Nama for 575k.

thomasm wrote: »
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/2013/02/20/shopping-centre-to-be-sold-at-fraction-of-building-cost/

The 'other' shopping centre in Ferrybank is up for sale. This one is about the size that was needed. Being sold by Nama for 575k.

As long as the threat that is ferrybank s.c exists, then this will never be sold, let alone occupied.

Tme to pull down the monstrosity so that the right type of centre can flourish

Bards wrote: »

As long as the threat that is ferrybank s.c exists, then this will never be sold, let alone occupied.

Tme to pull down the monstrosity so that the right type of centre can flourish

Most people know that one won't open and would surely factor that into the decesion making process

Now that the developers have got some compensation from Dunnes I expect absolutely nothing to happen to Ferrybank SC. in teh next 20 years anyway

i was in lisduggen the other morning and it was buzzing, even had to circle the carpark for a space.
    That seems to be the correct size for a suberban sc. Correct mix of local shops and homeware.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i was in lisduggen the other morning and it was buzzing, even had to circle the carpark for a space.
    That seems to be the correct size for a suberban sc. Correct mix of local shops and homeware.

Every time I go into the that place I'm struck by just how "Waterford" it is. I mean you could be in tesco and you wouldn't know what tesco in the country you're in...but up there...we'll let's just say you'd know you're in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Does Anybody have any update on the centre- I see that they took down some of the railings around the front to allow access to the library and the place looks much better.

Since Dunnes were forced to pay up- Does that mean they wont be going into the centre?

Are any other anchor tenants interested?

Considering that the carpark up at aldi is usually full/ busy and theres a big queue for the checkouts- there must be a decent ammount of demand in the area. Even Molloys butchers seems to be busy all the time.
    There seems to be a good deal of footfall around the centre - between people walking into town, at the post office and butchers, and the bus stop-

Are any of the units up for rent? And if they aren't why aren't they? Even if one or two shops were to go in there beside the library it would make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Dead and Duck spring to mind

No, no sign of life, I'm down there most days and the security guards dont seem to think anything is going to change. There are 2 carparks open there every day, pity we couldn't have a farmers market or something.

I agree about Aldi, but there's a big difference between a small supermarket doing well and an anchor tenant taking in €600,000 a week. Even if they did, that may not support the communal areas in the center opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No, no sign of life, I'm down there most days and the security guards dont seem to think anything is going to change. There are 2 carparks open there every day, pity we couldn't have a farmers market or something.

I agree about Aldi, but there's a big difference between a small supermarket doing well and an anchor tenant taking in €600,000 a week. Even if they did, that may not support the communal areas in the center opening.

Best thing for it would be a community centre, sport facility.

I kind of understand about he communal areas- but Surely they wouldn't have to open the whole thing at once. When I was young I remember only a tiny bit of city square was open, and It took YEARS before it was full of shops. McDonagh Junction in Kilkenny still isn't full- Even though it has come on a lot. These things take time. I think the library opening was the best thing ever- now at least there is something there. they really should be trying to get shops in. Even if they got an anchor in rent free for a few years until it took off. At the moment they aren't even trying to lease units. On daft they are trying to lease units on developments not even built- This shopping centre is built and ready to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

For god sake the Ferrybank shopping centre is not financially viable. What has to happen before people get this? It is a BS Celtic tiger development built in a small suburb under a very dodgy planning decision. Aldi and Molloy’s is absolutely no evidence that the Ferrybank shopping centre is viable you are talking about completely different scales.

I really don't agree! If you look at the Dunmore road area- There is the area all around the Uluru, lidl and the ardkeen 'shopping centre' there is Where Tesco, homebase and a huge next are located, and up the road again there is ballinakill centre. I know Ferrybank doesn't have as big a population but there are tens of thousands of people living in within 20 minutes of it- from Slievrue, Mullinavat, Kilmacow, Mooncoin, and Ferrybank itself has lots of houses, Entire estates that were like ghost estates for years are now full. The centre is built and has good facilities, parking and is actually surrounded by houses. Why is it ok for people to drive all the way out to ardkeen to next and not ok for people to drive out to Ferrybank for shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

bilibob wrote: »
    I really don't agree! If you look at the Dunmore road area- There is the area all around the Uluru, lidl and the ardkeen 'shopping centre' there is Where Tesco, homebase and a huge next are located, and up the road again there is ballinakill centre. I know Ferrybank doesn't have as big a population but there are tens of thousands of people living in within 20 minutes of it- from Slievrue, Mullinavat, Kilmacow, Mooncoin, and Ferrybank itself has lots of houses, Entire estates that were like ghost estates for years are now full. The centre is built and has good facilities, parking and is actually surrounded by houses. Why is it ok for people to drive all the way out to ardkeen to next and not ok for people to drive out to Ferrybank for shopping?

The Ferrybank shopping centre is more than what you described in Ardkeen. The shops in Ardkeen are sustained by the Dunmore Road suburb. As you pointed out yourself the Ferrybank shopping centre would need to bring people in from as far away as Mullinavat to keep it going. The Ferrybank shopping centre is a regional centre built as I said on the dodgy pretence that it is a suburban shopping centre. I have nothing against a Tesco’s or whoever opening in Ferrybank like there is in Ardkeen or Lisduggan with some other shops around it but don’t try and tell me that is what the Ferrybank shopping centre is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i dont know, couldnt be bothered looking up the figures but i doubt its 10s of thousands.

Population of the are you describe is 5,000 approx .inhabitants.

The population of the Dunmore Road Suburbs, which takes in Ardkeen Ballygunner etc is 20,000 approx - thats 4 x times the population

To put Ferrybank S.C in perspective. Think how big City Square + Hypermarket + Lisduggan combined are? and we are still not at the same scale - it belongs more in Dublin or Cork than it does in Ferrybank, let alone Galway, Limerick, or Waterford City Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I wish they would just level the place, sack whoever rubber stamped it and move on.

Advertisement