Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Bards wrote: »
    Population of the are you describe is 5,000 approx .inhabitants.

The population of the Dunmore Road Suburbs, which takes in Ardkeen Ballygunner etc is 20,000 approx - thats 4 x times the population

To put Ferrybank S.C in perspective. Think how big City Square + Hypermarket + Lisduggan combined are? and we are still not at the same scale - it belongs more in Dublin or Cork than it does in Ferrybank, let alone Galway, Limerick, or Waterford City Centre.

Incorrect. There are about 14k people on the KK side of the border within 10 miles of the shopping centre.

You can get population statistics from 2011 via the census.

These are broken down by electoral districts for the parishes of Mooncoin, Kilmacow, Mullinavat, Slieverue and Ferrybank. I've excluded Glenmore (close to Ross) Fiddown & Piltown (close to Carrick), and some ED's near Mullinavat as I'm not too familiar with the area. So if anything I'm being conservative.

Kilculliheen 4811
    Rathpatrick 1140
    Kilcolumb 579
    Ballincrea 310
    Dunkitt 1058
    Aglish 871
    Portnascully 1128
    Pollrone 1406
    Ullid 1014
    Rossinan 776
    Farnoge 297
    Killahy 708

Not that I'm saying that it should ever be built, but it's better to debate based on facts, not on guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

padraig.od wrote: »
    Incorrect. There are about 14k people on the KK side of the border within 10 miles of the shopping centre.

These are broken down by electoral districts for the parishes of Mooncoin, Kilmacow, Mullinavat, Slieverue and Ferrybank. I've excluded Glenmore (close to Ross) Fiddown & Piltown (close to Carrick), and some ED's near Mullinavat as I'm not too familiar with the area. So if anything I'm being conservative.

Kilculliheen 4811
    Rathpatrick 1140
    Kilcolumb 579
    Ballincrea 310
    Dunkitt 1058
    Aglish 871
    Portnascully 1128
    Pollrone 1406
    Ullid 1014
    Rossinan 776
    Farnoge 297
    Killahy 708

10 mins by. What, Jet., just loomat some of thise places, how in gods name can you get from ferrybank to some of those outlying places within the speed limit.

.. And if we want to deal in facts there are about 100k people within 30 mins of the centre of Waterford. We do not need Ferrybank - Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He said 10 miles, not minutes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I actually don't think that the center is doomed, it was just badly timed as its hard to fill out these units in this time. It had and still has potential but it doesn't even seemed to have been marketed very well. I remember calling several times to find out about renting one of the units and nobody could tell me anything, and despite me told I would get a call back, it never came.

I think people would come from Kilkenny & Waterford if it had decent shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sully wrote: »
    I actually don't think that the center is doomed, it was just badly timed as its hard to fill out these units in this time. It had and still has potential but it doesn't even seemed to have been marketed very well. I remember calling several times to find out about renting one of the units and nobody could tell me anything, and despite me told I would get a call back, it never came.

I think people would come from Kilkenny & Waterford if it had decent shops.

If Waterford city centre is suffering why would any retailer set up in Ferrybank ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

In fairness though, I'd imagine people from as far as New Ross would go to Ferrybank but wouldn't be as inclined to go into the town itself with the bridge, traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The numbers being mentioned here are paltry in the extreme , this is a humongous building way too big for Waterford City never mind a small suburb, it will never work as is ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

I think you got that the wrong way round unless it had some mind blowing attractive units would Waterford People be bothered crossing the bridge to it , I have my doubts .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

I for one will never spend a penny of my hard earned in project purely designed to take footfall from Waterford and pay rates to kk !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nypd wrote: »
    If Waterford city centre is suffering why would any retailer set up in Ferrybank ?

Well part of that problem seems to be lack of 'decent' shops. That's what people seem to be saying. Having a decent shopping center with a range of big brand shops should pull people from the South East. Its not going to work if its just going to average run of the mill shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

yeah pull what's left out of the center of waterford and line big Phils kk pockets with rates, extend the boundary then waterford people could embrace it , otherwise its just another parasite leeching off Waterford !

Bards wrote: »

Kilculliheen 4811
    Rathpatrick 1140
    Kilcolumb 579
    Ballincrea 310
    Dunkitt 1058
    Aglish 871
    Portnascully 1128
    Pollrone 1406
    Ullid 1014
    Rossinan 776
    Farnoge 297
    Killahy 708

10 mins by. What, Jet., just loomat some of thise places, how in gods name can you get from ferrybank to some of those outlying places within the speed limit.

.. And if we want to deal in facts there are about 100k people within 30 mins of the centre of Waterford. We do not need Ferrybank - Period.

1. I said miles, not minutes.
    2. "if we want to deal in facts there are about 100k" - good job dealing with facts!

Anyway, I wasn't passing judgement on the shopping centre, just correcting the 5K remark.

Deise67 wrote: »
    yeah pull what's left out of the center of waterford and line big Phils kk pockets with rates, extend the boundary then waterford people could embrace it , otherwise its just another parasite leeching off Waterford !

I have no doubt that's what the original thought process was, leeching describes it perfectly.

Sully wrote: »
    Well part of that problem seems to be lack of 'decent' shops. That's what people seem to be saying. Having a decent shopping center with a range of big brand shops should pull people from the South East. Its not going to work if its just going to average run of the mill shops.

Is that what people really want? I'm pretty sick of the identikit UK highstreets/shopping centres full of the same boring UK chains.

I have no doubt that's what the original thought process was, leeching describes it perfectly.

Who's thought process? Did the property developer have it in for Waterford?

Who's thought process? Did the property developer have it in for Waterford?

Did I say that ?
    KK County Council if you need it spelt out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What's the square footage of the Dove Hill Irish Design Centre, Carrick On Suir?

I remember thinking 'who in their right mind?' when I saw the plans for that, but its doing fine.

Find a niche.

How does anyone ever start a business with that kinda cant do attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What's the square footage of the Dove Hill Irish Design Centre, Carrick On Suir?

I remember thinking 'who in their right mind?' when I saw the plans for that, but its doing fine.

Find a niche.

How does anyone ever start a business with that kinda cant do attitude?

KK CoCo should be ashamed of the roundabout adjacent to that white elephant. An absolute disgrace, along with the one at Newrath and the one at "Belmount".
    I never saw anything as petty as those "Belmount" signs TBH.

Did I say that ?

So KK CC put up the cash to build the shopping centre to "leech" from Waterford? No, some private investors did. All KK CC did was approve the thing.

Was approval ever appealed to An Board Pleanala or a body like that? What did the local residents think of the plan?

7upfree wrote: »
    KK CoCo should be ashamed of the roundabout adjacent to that white elephant. An absolute disgrace, along with the one at Newrath and the one at "Belmount".

What signs are those? I drive through Newrath pretty regularly and can't say I have noticed anything special about the roundabout

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. The one at the shopping centre is an accident waiting to happen. Mind you, the one at Belmont and the Rhu Glen are shockingly bad too. I don't know what they were thinking of when they designed the Rhu Glen one and the shopping centre ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Couldn't agree more. The one at the shopping centre is an accident waiting to happen. Mind you, the one at Belmont and the Rhu Glen are shockingly bad too. I don't know what they were thinking of when they designed the Rhu Glen one and the shopping centre ones....

Out of interest, in what sense are they shockingly bad?

The symmetry at both of them and road camber at the Rhu Glen make them dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

agree the camber is well off on all approaches. i sent an email about it when it was first built got the uaual reply.

Is that what people really want? I'm pretty sick of the identikit UK highstreets/shopping centres full of the same boring UK chains.

Yup. Hence why the likes of Dundrum do well. Or the outdoor place in Kildare. Then you have, outside of Ireland for example, the Trafford Shopping Center in Manchester.

They have a reputation of providing clothing items that people want. Smaller retailers couldn't afford the cost to setup in these centers, paying rates etc.
    Did I say that ?

KK Co. Co. didn't build this. They didn't have anything to do with the building.

What signs are those? I drive through Newrath pretty regularly and can't say I have noticed anything special about the roundabout

At what is, essentially, the entrance to Waterford City near Belmont Hospital, KK CoCo have erected "Belmount" signs. Pathetic.

At what is, essentially, the entrance to Waterford City near Belmont Hospital, KK CoCo have erected "Belmount" signs. Pathetic.

Isn't there a sign a little further down the road at the start of the dual carriageway, actually in Waterford? I don't really see what difference it makes

Isn't there a sign a little further down the road at the start of the dual carriageway, actually in Waterford? I don't really see what difference it makes

It is truly pathetic TBH and shows KK's contempt for Waterford.

It is truly pathetic TBH and shows KK's contempt for Waterford.

If you say so

• Advertisement

If you say so

I do indeed. As do many others.

Advertisement