Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I'm glad Ferrybank never took off, I have no idea how it was allowed be built there.

Going OT, I lived in Kilkenny for a few years, lovely town centre. Always a good buzz around the place.

Living in Waterford now and boy is there a difference.

I think major work needs to be done to get the city going. It's just laid out in the most crazy way with no real centre.

You have Broad St, which is just dead boring. Terrible place for tourists to sit down and take in the surroundings.

I would suggest major building works along the river on the city side. Remove the road (divert around the city - it's tiny so why not), Take out the car parks and bus station and build some really nice looking shops and restaurants all along the quay that back on to the water. Not boring buildings, you could have something quirky like Pier 39 in San Francisco or like Monteray in California.

Something with imagination that would actually draw people into the town for a weekend away with the family.

Develop the marine side and put in more berths for boats and somewhere for landing fish. Waterford should be a seafood haven, tourists would actually spend time and money in the town centre given the option.

Build a nice straight dual carriageway from the town centre to the airport. Highlight how easy it is to get to Waterford. The airport is awesome. I flew from there to Manchester last year. No q for security, parked right outside.

Waterford is a lovely area, it's politicians need a kick up the ar€e though, they are being seriously overlooked.

WIT does need University status but right now does not deserve it. I had mates who went there and it really needs to get it together. It has some great commercial aspects but as a whole needs to up it's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

How will any of that be financed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

padraig.od wrote: »
    If you say so

She may have a point outside of the crazy conspiracy theories that she trumps every now and again.

IIRC, Kilkenny insisted Waterford take down signs that welcomed people to Waterford because it was within the Kilkenny 'territory'. It was erected on the dual carriageway into Waterford from the new bridge. Just seemed completely pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Sully wrote: »
    She may have a point outside of the crazy conspiracy theories that she trumps every now and again.

IIRC, Kilkenny insisted Waterford take down signs that welcomed people to Waterford because it was within the Kilkenny 'territory'. It was erected on the dual carriageway into Waterford from the new bridge. Just seemed completely pedantic.

Not arguing that any of that happened, but I wouldn't use the word "contempt".

In any case did they have planning permission (or any right at all) to erect the signage?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not arguing that any of that happened, but I wouldn't use the word "contempt".

In any case did they have planning permission (or any right at all) to erect the signage?

Its still a stupid reason to take them down considering they were re-erected a short distance away within Waterford.

• Advertisement

Its still a stupid reason to take them down considering they were re-erected a short distance away within Waterford.

erecting (maybe illegal?) signage in Kilkenny is just as stupid, especially considering they could erect them a short distance away within Waterford...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

erecting (maybe illegal?) signage in Kilkenny is just as stupid, especially considering they could erect them a short distance away within Waterford...

The whole route into Waterford via Ferrybank and Sallypark is shabby,
    Grass is not maintained to the standards it should be.
    It's a pathetic attempt from our neighbours to try take away from the city.

Nypd wrote: »
    The whole route into Waterford via Ferrybank and Sallypark is shabby,
    Grass is not maintained to the standards it should be.
    It's a pathetic attempt from our neighbours to try take away from the city.

I'm not too familiar with Ferrybank, but concur re the new road in from Newrath. I don't think they've done anything with it since it opened. KK CC are pretty bad at roadside maintenance in general I think. The M9 is like a tip half the time.

>> It's a pathetic attempt from our neighbours to try take away from the city.

This attitude is weird. Do you really thing it is a deliberate conspiracy by the KK CC (or the county manager, who would ultimately allocate these resources) to denigrate Waterford? Really? How do they benefit? What's in it for them? I don't understand the attitude. Why is it a conspiracy? Maybe they are just incompetent?

Way OT now though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I agree that KK aren't great alright and they are the same in Rosbercon in New Ross. Very shabby.

Conspiracy theories are paranoia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hmmm. No crazier than some of your own beliefs Sully.:D But at least something we agree on.

• Advertisement

Padraig, seriously? The entrance to the city is effectively after the turn-off to Slieverue. It just highlight the ridiculous outlook of KK CoCo. I'd imagine it is a local South KK thing, as opposed to driven by KK CoCo as an entity. Although Hogan's squandering of €750k on a library would also bring that into question.

I'm not too familiar with Ferrybank, but concur re the new road in from Newrath. I don't think they've done anything with it since it opened. KK CC are pretty bad at roadside maintenance in general I think. The M9 is like a tip half the time.

This attitude is weird. Do you really thing it is a deliberate conspiracy by the KK CC (or the county manager, who would ultimately allocate these resources) to denigrate Waterford? Really? How do they benefit? What's in it for them? I don't understand the attitude. Why is it a conspiracy? Maybe they are just incompetent?

How so? When you look at the entrance to Kilkenny itself it's a credit to them. Yet they can't get a couple of roundabouts in order at the entrance to the major City in the region in order? All the more reason the boundary should expand. Get off the pot etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I don't think it's OT, Waterford has a depressing run into it from both directions mentioned.
    Logical solution is the give control of the area to WCC while they retain it as part of their "territory" parish pump ploitics won't ever allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Mad how they are giving out leaflets for a new outlet centre on the cork road with this lying empty though

bilibob wrote: »
    Mad how they are giving out leaflets for a new outlet centre on the cork road with this lying empty though

Different location, different idea. Smaller / Cheaper units? Better run?

The Ferrybank SC was hit hard by Dunnes and the company ended up going bust. It was briefly attempted to re-open but if my experience with trying to get information was anything to go by I can see why it didn't go swimmingly. Its in NAMA now IIRC and they appear to have little interest in doing anything with it.

I genuinely think if you throw in some decent shops there, offer free parking or cheaper parking it would do well. People not to stop suggesting only people in Ferrybank would use it - you can be damn sure people from Waterford City & County would travel to it if there were decent shops. Heck some people travel from Waterford to Clonmel for M&S and the other place half way (can't recall the name of the place for the life of me, but its generally busy enough and its half way from Waterford to Clonmel. Mixture of clothing and household items).

The biggest failure in Ferrybank, for me, was the one in Abbeylands/Abbeypark. Loads of shops listed (as in the names of the retailers included Subway, with only a few units up for lease) as being part of this development including a gym and it never seemed to get up and running for whatever reason. But how could it have worked? Its way off the beat and track and slap bang in a housing estate. Sure, there are loads of houses around it - but enough to sustain and keep several shops going?

Comparing both, this development made a lot of sense. But people are so bitter and twisted when it comes to anything Kilkenny, they are blinded by arrogance. If this was closer to Waterford, and Kilkenny had no hand or part in it - we would all be for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Comparing both, this development made a lot of sense. But people are so bitter and twisted when it comes to anything Kilkenny, they are blinded by arrogance. If this was closer to Waterford, and Kilkenny had no hand or part in it - we would all be for it.

Its works both ways, recently I read an article in a news paper and instead of saying near Waterford they put it as "the deep south of Kilkenny".

Anyway IMO the Ferrybank shopping centre should be knocked down as nobody is going to go there and if they are waiting for a supermarket it will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Different location, different idea. Smaller / Cheaper units? Better run?

The Ferrybank SC was hit hard by Dunnes and the company ended up going bust. It was briefly attempted to re-open but if my experience with trying to get information was anything to go by I can see why it didn't go swimmingly. Its in NAMA now IIRC and they appear to have little interest in doing anything with it.

I genuinely think if you throw in some decent shops there, offer free parking or cheaper parking it would do well. People not to stop suggesting only people in Ferrybank would use it - you can be damn sure people from Waterford City & County would travel to it if there were decent shops. Heck some people travel from Waterford to Clonmel for M&S and the other place half way (can't recall the name of the place for the life of me, but its generally busy enough and its half way from Waterford to Clonmel. Mixture of clothing and household items).

The biggest failure in Ferrybank, for me, was the one in Abbeylands/Abbeypark. Loads of shops listed (as in the names of the retailers included Subway, with only a few units up for lease) as being part of this development including a gym and it never seemed to get up and running for whatever reason. But how could it have worked? Its way off the beat and track and slap bang in a housing estate. Sure, there are loads of houses around it - but enough to sustain and keep several shops going?

Sully I would disagree strongly with you there (Quelle surprise) and my opinion is not based on Bigotry to my KK neighbours half of which I'm related to!
    It is too big, look at any planning or economic plan and it will all show a Superquinn size development is ideal for an area the size of Ferrybank half a dozen shops and an anchor supermarket, that is what was and is needed there, what was built will not work as the footfall is not there.
    You can wish, hope all you want but it is in the wrong location to do business, and you know the three rules for good retail sales, 1 Location 2 Location 3 Location..
    |Unless someone can come up with a novel idea for this building like a school University etc the only solution eventually will be to take down some of it and make it the right size for the neighbourhood

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its works both ways, recently I read an article in a news paper and instead of saying near Waterford they put it as "the deep south of Kilkenny".

Anyway IMO the Ferrybank shopping centre should be knocked down as nobody is going to go there and if they are waiting for a supermarket it will never happen.

Probably but I think its more a Waterford issue tbh.
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    Sully I would disagree strongly with you there (Quelle surprise) and my opinion is not based on Bigotry to my KK neighbours half of which I'm related to!
    It is too big, look at any planning or economic plan and it will all show a Superquinn size development is ideal for an area the size of Ferrybank half a dozen shops and an anchor supermarket, that is what was and is needed there, what was built will not work as the footfall is not there.
    You can wish, hope all you want but it is in the wrong location to do business, and you know the three rules for good retail sales, 1 Location 2 Location 3 Location..
    |Unless someone can come up with a novel idea for this building like a school University etc the only solution eventually will be to take down some of it and make it the right size for the neighbourhood

I'd imagine they felt that it met the right location and they were not trying to put in any standard run of the mill shops like Lisduggan. Bigger shops, better footfall.

Just a thought tho, may be completely wrong, but I assume the developers felt otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Probably but I think its more a Waterford issue tbh.

I'd imagine they felt that it met the right location and they were not trying to put in any standard run of the mill shops like Lisduggan. Bigger shops, better footfall.

Just a thought tho, may be completely wrong, but I assume the developers felt otherwise.

When they were building the shopping center there were plans for houses all the way out past the entrance to Slieverue and back over to Abbey Park if if recall correctly. The perception was that this was one of the remaining land banks close to the city and there was going to be a population explosion which would have been the customer base on top of what was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Two big new signs up today saying those lands- (The site of 850 of the 960 houses planned for clover meadows) are up for sale. I wonder will some farmer buy it? Better use than its being used for now anyway.

Its funny really - All the time you hear people complaining in Dublin of grand integrated plans where they only built the houses and never bothered with the shopping centres. Leaving them with loads of houses and no services. Its the opposite here. The Shopping centre was built but the houses weren't. I cant imagine what it would be like if there were 960 houses in the estate - And more between Aylesbury and Bellfield. There would have been plenty footfall then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The other Ferrybank shopping ghost town - Ross Abbey, is going under the hammer for about €250,000.

arbpl33.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Whoever buys it will need to have great patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

mike65 wrote: »
    The other Ferrybank shopping ghost town - Ross Abbey, is going under the hammer for about €250,000.

arbpl33.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Whoever buys it will need to have great patience.

And very deep pockets, it is shell and core only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I wonder if the Ferrybank centre is destined for this sort of fate:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jun/19/-sp-death-of-the-american-shopping-mall

fricatus wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jun/19/-sp-death-of-the-american-shopping-mall

Had a gawk around it today, seems to be in excellent condition in the complex part whereas the outer units are just shells. Personally, I think the complex has potential if the right shops go into it. Ample parking too. Running a little shuttle bus to/from the Clock Tower to bring shoppers on foot would also work. It's outside of the City Center, but closer to it than other out of city developments in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

fricatus wrote: »

Library staff look after the S/C. Not gonna go like that.

Library staff look after the S/C. Not gonna go like that.

There surely not looking after the whole complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

There surely not looking after the whole complex?

Shops would be locked id imagine but they look after the car park as library customers can use it and they look after the main lobby or whatever its called. Its definitely not gonna grow out of control with mould and have windows smashed like them pictures is all im saying.

Shops would be locked id imagine but they look after the car park as library customers can use it and they look after the main lobby or whatever its called. Its definitely not gonna grow out of control with mould and have windows smashed like them pictures is all im saying.

I really would love to get a tour of the inside. Just to see what it's like. There is power going into it anyway as the escalators are on and obviously the car park is light up. Nicely designed car park too but it's been fenced off so only part of it can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I could be wrong, but I would be sure there is another business operating out of it besides the Library.... I use it regularly, brings the kids.... and I be convinced there is a small company operating in there as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Had a gawk around it today, seems to be in excellent condition in the complex part whereas the outer units are just shells. Personally, I think the complex has potential if the right shops go into it. Ample parking too.
    Running a little shuttle bus to/from the Clock Tower to bring shoppers on foot would also work. It's outside of the City Center, but closer to it than other out of city developments in Waterford.

just as a by the way what exactly would busing people out from an already decimated city center achive ? besides filling the coffers of kk council with rates ?

Advertisement