Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I always thought that area was in Waterford as well but seemingly it is in South Kilkenny.

Nah, its in the Waterford boundary but due to the strange set up over there it's under the Kilkenny Co Co area. Like the houses in Abbey Park are under Waterford City Council control but during the election the candidates were for Kilkenny and I think that's the case with a lot of places over there.

Same was for rubbish collections etc

Just typical of the crap and money wasting that goes on in our great country sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Nah, its in the Waterford boundary but due to the strange set up over there it's under the Kilkenny Co Co area. Like the houses in Abbey Park are under Waterford City Council control but during the election the candidates were for Kilkenny and I think that's the case with a lot of places over there.

Same was for rubbish collections etc

No Surrender I say

You learn something new every day:).

Strange set-up alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Sully wrote: »
    LOL is that what they objected to?!

No. What was objected to is an antenna mast mounted to the side of the house, on gable end brackets.

The ONLY thing wrong with it, is that it's not mounted 'on the roof of the house' which according to planning laws is where an antenna mast is allowed to be.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I always thought that area was in Waterford as well but seemingly it is in South Kilkenny.

In fairness it matters little that it's in KK Co Co's area. The centre is in the Waterford suburbs, and taps the Waterford shopping market, whatever the Kilkenny People etc. might say about it serving "South Kilkenny". A centre this big is not needed for Mullinavat and Glenmore, and would not be viable serving these areas. It would only have been viable by taking shoppers from Waterford city centre, with the effect of undermining the city.

The developers would never have been given planning permission by the City Council for such a large suburban development, so they did the smart thing and set it up in another local authority area, literally the other side of the city boundary, and KK Co Co couldn't resist the temptation of the rates revenue.

It's a bit like how Saddam's crew would set up an oil well right on the border with Kuwait and then drill diagonally so as to take Kuwait's oil.

I'd have less of an objection if I thought that the rates revenue would be spent by the county council on the area immediately bordering Waterford, but on past form, I think this is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

One would think that the majority of posters here would rather see that place sit idle for another few years.

The place reminds me of Citywest Shopping Centre. Similar problems in set up but now does a roaring trade since houses and apartments have continued to pop up in the area, only difference is the houses and people are already in place in the area surrounding Ferrybank Shopping Centre.

I for one can't wait to no longer have to cross the bridge anytime i want to do some grocery shopping and go into a dead town where most of the shops don't open until half the day is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I for one can't wait to no longer have to cross the bridge anytime i want to do some grocery shopping and go into a dead town where most of the shops don't open until half the day is gone.

Everyone agrees that you could do with a supermarket for groceries. But if you don't like crossing the bridge into Waterford city centre, how many people for south of the river will want to pass through the city centre, cross the bridge, and then go to Ferrybank, when they can just go to Waterford city centre. The only advantage will be free parking.

As for people from Mullinavegas or Kilmacow, how will they spend a Saturday afternoon. Go to the echo filled Ferrybank centre, or to Waterford city centre where they can do their shopping, get some cakes, collect next years school books, go for a coffee, by chance bump into old school friend Eileen and ask how her daughter is doing in Australia, 'and is Cormac still doing a line with blaa blaa blaa', 'oh yes, its a very strong line', and they aren't talking about cocaine. What buses will go to Ferrybank shopping centre?

All the gravity effects will drag those people to Waterford City centre, not Ferrybank. It'd be something if it had an Ikea or something similar, but it won't. It might be convenient for people from New Ross to go there, but not many others.

The place would have been more viable if it were smaller and then would attract Supervalu or a Tescos.

Best for the developer to cut his losses, and refit it as some sort of indoor adventure centre with climbing walls, air soft, and go karting. That would be something worth travelling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have to agree with posters here re the poor planning of this centre. I drove by it recently and was struck by the sheer scale of the building and it's general inappropriateness for the area. A small neighbourhood centre would have more than sufficed here in my opinion. I'd be surprised if they ever fill it to be perfectly honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

mfitzy wrote: »
    Have to agree with posters here re the poor planning of this centre. I drove by it recently and was struck by the sheer scale of the building and it's general inappropriateness for the area. A small neighbourhood centre would have more than sufficed here in my opinion. I'd be surprised if they ever fill it to be perfectly honest.

You have to wonder did any brown envelopes change hands. How it got planning permission is beyond me. The thing looks totally out of place and will probably never be occupied, never mind filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

dayshah wrote: »
    Everyone agrees that you could do with a supermarket for groceries. But if you don't like crossing the bridge into Waterford city centre, how many people for south of the river will want to pass through the city centre, cross the bridge, and then go to Ferrybank, when they can just go to Waterford city centre. The only advantage will be free parking.

As for people from Mullinavegas or Kilmacow, how will they spend a Saturday afternoon. Go to the echo filled Ferrybank centre, or to Waterford city centre where they can do their shopping, get some cakes, collect next years school books, go for a coffee, by chance bump into old school friend Eileen and ask how her daughter is doing in Australia, 'and is Cormac still doing a line with blaa blaa blaa', 'oh yes, its a very strong line', and they aren't talking about cocaine. What buses will go to Ferrybank shopping centre?

All the gravity effects will drag those people to Waterford City centre, not Ferrybank. It'd be something if it had an Ikea or something similar, but it won't. It might be convenient for people from New Ross to go there, but not many others.

The place would have been more viable if it were smaller and then would attract Supervalu or a Tescos.

Best for the developer to cut his losses, and refit it as some sort of indoor adventure centre with climbing walls, air soft, and go karting. That would be something worth travelling for.

So only the people on the other side of the river deserve to have something conveniently located?

So only the people on the other side of the river deserve to have something conveniently located?

Its not a matter of what people deserve, its a matter of what's practical. It makes sense and is practical to have a supermarket nearby, not so practical to have a clothes shop.

But hey, if you think this development is such a good thing why not contact the developer and tell them you'd like to open a small clothes shop or something in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

what they should have done is build a third bridge between Ferrbank and the back of Ardkeen - problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

And imagine that the Neighbourhood Village shopping centre in Rathculliheen was also being built at the same time as the Ferrybank Shopping Centre. The planners at Kilkenny Co. Council actually granted planning permission for them both. They must have thought that Ferrybank was going to grow larger than Waterford City.

It is interesting to note that the Rathculliheen centre is currently being investigated by the High Court for planning irregularities (http://www.marstonplanning.ie/news/10).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is that the one at Abbey Park?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Nope, its the big ass shopping complex as you leave to head towards New Ross on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

No the Rathcuhhagheen one is the one at Abbey Park.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I can't find an official website, but this is the ad from daft.ie

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=71794

(the streetview is sort of funny :))

There seems to be some confusion as to the location of the Neighbourhood Village shopping centre, Rathculliheen. It is NOT the Ferrybank Shopping Centre on the old N25 (now R680). It is at Rathculliheen beside Abbey Park on the road to Gyles Quay near where the old Clover Meats was.

There are two unopened shopping centres in Ferrybank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Silverado wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion as to the location of the Neighbourhood Village shopping centre, Rathculliheen. It is NOT the Ferrybank Shopping Centre on the old N25 (now R680). It is at Rathculliheen beside Abbey Park on the road to Gyles Quay near where the old Clover Meats was.

There are two unopened shopping centres in Ferrybank.

So its not this one;
    http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=71794

Which is far far worse than one down some side road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Anyone ever see the inside of it?

some interesting pics here

http://www.elclaser.com/architectural_steel_jpc_ferry_bank_shopping_centre.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Anyone ever see the inside of it?

some interesting pics here

http://www.elclaser.com/architectural_steel_jpc_ferry_bank_shopping_centre.aspx

Looks great, such a pity.

• Advertisement

What a sin to have such good work wasted on such a folly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kennygg76

I live just behind the shopping centre and its a shame to see such a great site empty, I see a good bit of movement there with electrician vans and plumbing contractors so hopefully it will open. At night when they have all the coloured outside lights on it looks fantastic, when it opens I could wheel the trolley home lol.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1109/1224307246971.html
    THE LONG delayed opening of the completed Ferrybank shopping centre in Waterford city has finally been fixed for April 3rd, 2012, despite uncertainty as to whether Dunnes Stores will begin trading from the anchor store.

The €100 million, mixed-use centre, on the opposite side of the River Suir from the city centre, was due to have opened for business in September, 2008. However, the opening did not go ahead because of differences between the development company and Dunnes.

Earlier, Dunnes were reported to have paid a “record price” for the 6,200sq m (66,736sq ft) of retail space on two levels. At the height of the property boom, some UK and Irish multiples paid up to €500 per sq ft (€5,382 per sq m) for anchor stores in new shopping centres.

At that valuation – and there is no indication as to how much Dunnes paid – a store of the size at Ferrybank might have been valued in excess of €33 million. The disagreement between Dunnes and Ferrybank was later the subject of arbitration proceedings but the final recommendation has never been made public.

Although Tesco has three stores at Poleberry, Ardkeane and Lisduggan, it too pitched for the Ferrybank outlet with the intention of consolidating its dominant position in the city. Dunnes operates a store at City Square shopping centre in the city centre. Tesco’s three out-of-town stores, with free car parking, have cornered most of the local business, not least the store at Ardkeane which opens around the clock.

Developer Derry McPhillips and his bankers, Bank of Ireland, are now understood to have agreed on a strategy to get Ferrybank operational. They have engaged Larry Brennan, retail expert with agents Savills, to let 20 available shops in the main mall with a total floor area of 2,322sq m (25,000sq ft). The entire centre extends to 23,225sq m (250,000sq ft) and includes a covered car park with more than 1,000 spaces. Rents for shop units are likely to be between €322 and €376 per sq m (€30/€35 per sq ft).

The centre owners will obviously be hoping to persuade the fast-expanding Marks Spencer chain to open its first Waterford outlet in Ferrybank even though the British multiple is known for demanding major concessions on the rent and fit-out costs.

The new shopping centre occupies a prominent site just across the border in Kilkenny with 250 metres of frontage on to the N25 New Ross/Waterford road and within one mile of Rice Memorial Bridge.

Apart from attracting shoppers from Waterford city, the new centre will also be hoping to cater for some of the residents of south Wexford, south Tipperary and Co Kilkenny.

Ardkean?

And...Tesco have 4 outlets in Waterford. Not sure how they missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1109/1224307246971.html
    THE LONG delayed opening of the completed Ferrybank shopping centre in Waterford city has finally been fixed for April 3rd, 2012, despite uncertainty as to whether Dunnes Stores will begin trading from the anchor store.

The €100 million, mixed-use centre, on the opposite side of the River Suir from the city centre, was due to have opened for business in September, 2008. However, the opening did not go ahead because of differences between the development company and Dunnes.

Earlier, Dunnes were reported to have paid a “record price” for the 6,200sq m (66,736sq ft) of retail space on two levels. At the height of the property boom, some UK and Irish multiples paid up to €500 per sq ft (€5,382 per sq m) for anchor stores in new shopping centres.

At that valuation – and there is no indication as to how much Dunnes paid – a store of the size at Ferrybank might have been valued in excess of €33 million. The disagreement between Dunnes and Ferrybank was later the subject of arbitration proceedings but the final recommendation has never been made public.

Although Tesco has three stores at Poleberry, Ardkeane and Lisduggan, it too pitched for the Ferrybank outlet with the intention of consolidating its dominant position in the city. Dunnes operates a store at City Square shopping centre in the city centre. Tesco’s three out-of-town stores, with free car parking, have cornered most of the local business, not least the store at Ardkeane which opens around the clock.

Developer Derry McPhillips and his bankers, Bank of Ireland, are now understood to have agreed on a strategy to get Ferrybank operational. They have engaged Larry Brennan, retail expert with agents Savills, to let 20 available shops in the main mall with a total floor area of 2,322sq m (25,000sq ft). The entire centre extends to 23,225sq m (250,000sq ft) and includes a covered car park with more than 1,000 spaces. Rents for shop units are likely to be between €322 and €376 per sq m (€30/€35 per sq ft).

The centre owners will obviously be hoping to persuade the fast-expanding Marks Spencer chain to open its first Waterford outlet in Ferrybank even though the British multiple is known for demanding major concessions on the rent and fit-out costs.

The new shopping centre occupies a prominent site just across the border in Kilkenny with 250 metres of frontage on to the N25 New Ross/Waterford road and within one mile of Rice Memorial Bridge.

Apart from attracting shoppers from Waterford city, the new centre will also be hoping to cater for some of the residents of south Wexford, south Tipperary and Co Kilkenny.

Ardkean?

Article doesn't read very positive, sounds like they are going to try open without an anchor tennant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ardkean?

It's always the way with the "national" (i.e. Dublin) papers. They always get things "down the country" ever so slightly wrong, e.g. "Lisduggan, Co Waterford", "Ardkeane", "Dunmore East Road". In the article, the bridge is referred to as "Rice Memorial Bridge" for God's sake - nobody around here calls it that!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

Bards wrote: »
    I just love this bit

"In the developers submissions to the council, Deerland construction had sought that Kilkenny County Council, Waterford City Council and Waterford County Council adopt a joint retail strategy. Cllr Tomás Breathnach (Labour) called on the council to write to the Minister for Environment, Phil Hogan and request that the other two councils engage in the creation of a joint retail strategy for the area.
    “It is unfair that a Joint Retail Strategy hasn’t been put in place. The process is going on too long. If their isn’t engagement from the other two councils, can I ask that we write to the minister,” he said."

If a Joint Retail Strategy was put in place before this was built it would never have been allowed
    so ferrybank with its 6ooo houses cant have a shopping center?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

“It is unfair that a Joint Retail Strategy hasn’t been put in place. The process is going on too long. If their isn’t engagement from the other two councils, can I ask that we write to the minister,” he said."

Do people write these articles in two minutes or are they just dumb?

Iv rang the company in charge of letting out the units several times for information on pricing a while back. Never got anywhere, and gave up trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

opening date is clearly wrong by 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

If they get the big boys over there it could potentially blow the city centre apart, the south kilkenny business is vital for waterford city centre traders.

Advertisement