Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Development

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all. I've been working as an OPUS developer on a rolling contract, enjoying it but would like to do a course in IT development. Are there any recommendations from anyone? I'm looking at this as my chosen career path. I was fortunate that the company trained me for the OPUS role.

I've seen Java developer courses for approx 1,400e and the salaries seem ok once qualified? I'm also looking at .Net and SQL amongst - any advice???

I was advised to check UCD courses out, anyone have any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They have these things in college called degrees. What you want is one called "Computer Science" or "Computer Applications". Also courses like maths/science/physics would contain some programming stuff. Maybe even a 1 or 2 years diploma would get you started.

Please don't say "IT development" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Nickthebubble

I would find it a struggle going back to full time to education, I graduated with my degree in '98 :mad:

I am being put into a bracket as an OPUS developer as this is the first company to try the software. I was thinking of looking at courses I could do when not at work, but thanks for your feedback...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The open university do some excellen tcourses leading to an academic qualification. O'Reilly certifications are perhaps not as comprehensive but the tutorial feedback is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Nick - I wouldn't thank srsly78 for that condescending reply, in fact I could think of another response!!

In relation to your question, it you are looking to get into a Java or .Net dev role you will really need to by studying for a degree. A lot of companies will need at least this when considering applicants.

I assume you are not in a poistion to go back to full time study. Some colleges offer excellent part time degrees, NCIRL and DIT are two I know of. It would be a tough 4 years but ultimately would be a great career move.

thanks very much, i'll look into this

• Advertisement

Cheers Boogerballs, I chose to rise above it ;)

yeah, it'd be a struggle but maybe now is the right time. Thanks for your response

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I have to say my own experience of the OU was disappointing. I was doing an MSc in Software Development with them but moved to the University of Liverpool. UoL courses are much more challenging and provide a much better online learning environment.

srsly78 wrote: »
    They have these things in college called degrees. What you want is one called "Computer Science" or "Computer Applications".

And that's an infraction. We treat beginners with patience on this forum, if that doesn't suit you I suggest you move on.

who said it didn't suit? posted a reply and moved on *will give it out when im a bigger boy with 28,000 post on here*:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

How much are the UO & OUL courses ? and dont you need to go to Liverpool to sit your exams..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Boards has a lot in common with programming, if you omit a colon+bracket you can get in a lot of trouble ;)

Nick, since you already have a degree you should look at various postgrad diplomas. Here is a good site to search on: http://www.postgrad.ie/search.html?by=category&category_id=665&region_id=227

Some of them are advanced courses for people that already have a technical degree, but others are more suited to someone with a business/other degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

880 for a 3 day perl Course and 1050 for a 5 day Java Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

You don't necessary need a degree/masters in an IT related field. No doubts it helps, as some employers won't consider you without it.

If you wanted to be a Java programmer, you could consider taking the Oracle certification path:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=140#13

Whether you self-study or do courses is entirely up to you. You could throw in some Oracle DB certification too while you were there, if you wanted. :P

Certificates are not a guranteed of a job, but will increase your chances especially for entry-level positions.

On top of that, experience will help. If you can't get an entry-position, chase down open source projects you might like to contribute too. Even doing some unit testing or similar will be of value to you and them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eniac

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I have to say my own experience of the OU was disappointing. I was doing an MSc in Software Development with them but moved to the University of Liverpool. UoL courses are much more challenging and provide a much better online learning environment.

I've been looking into doing a online masters. Hadn't come across University of Liverpool (or at least was unaware of online course). How was the course structured? Currently working in development full-time so time may be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Evil Phil wrote: »

I always heard the OU was pretty good. I'm surprised to hear you didn't like it.

I tried a distance learning diploma/masters with Blanch DIT, but I didn't like the online environment, I dropped out because the workload was too high for a part-time course, and I had too much going on in real life. If I was doing it again I'd go the certification route, short and intense.

It really depends how much free time you have.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Boards has a lot in common with programming, if you omit a colon+bracket you can get in a lot of trouble ;)

Nick, since you already have a degree you should look at various postgrad diplomas. Here is a good site to search on: http://www.postgrad.ie/search.html?by=category&category_id=665&region_id=227

Some of them are advanced courses for people that already have a technical degree, but others are more suited to someone with a business/other degree.

Thanks srsly78, really helpful. my degree is in sociology and was over 10 years ago but i will deffo look into that. thanks again

You don't necessary need a degree/masters in an IT related field. No doubts it helps, as some employers won't consider you without it.

If you wanted to be a Java programmer, you could consider taking the Oracle certification path:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=140#13

Whether you self-study or do courses is entirely up to you. You could throw in some Oracle DB certification too while you were there, if you wanted. :P

Certificates are not a guranteed of a job, but will increase your chances especially for entry-level positions.

On top of that, experience will help. If you can't get an entry-position, chase down open source projects you might like to contribute too. Even doing some unit testing or similar will be of value to you and them.

Thanks Procasinator, yet another very helpful suggestion. I was lucky in in that we got 'on the job' OPUS training. This doesn't seem to happen for Java programming from what I can see. I will defo have a look at the link you provided me with

BostonB wrote: »
    I always heard the OU was pretty good. I'm surprised to hear you didn't like it.

Did one module of 6 months. Contacted the instructor once to get a copy of a document that hadn't been sent to me, excluding 3 submissions of work, and that was it. I got an A, it was too easy. UoL is a lot more challenging, you really have to work to do well and demonstrate not just learning but understanding and insight too.
    Eniac wrote: »
    I've been looking into doing a online masters. Hadn't come across University of Liverpool (or at least was unaware of online course). How was the course structured? Currently working in development full-time so time may be an issue.

You do 8 modules of 2 months each, then you have 9 months for your research project and dissertation. 2 of the modules are elective. Modules take about 20 hours work a week, each week having readings, 1 assignment, 2 discussion essays and sometimes project work. The discussion essay's are posted in the class forum and you're required to contribute to this forum 3 out of every 7 days. Any project work takes you above 20 hours a week, as does wanting a good grade. You're marked on your submissions, contributions and project work every week. Once you've passed all modules you can do your dissertation.

Advertisement