Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have been having undefined mental problems. Yesterday, my psych made a diagnosis of cyclothymia. I don't really agree with it, there is a hell of a lot of the bipolar spectrum disorders that I in no way identify with.

I would sooner die than take anti-psychotics, I think they should only be used if one is sure of what the patient is suffering from. And I think the side effects sound horrendous.

I was prescribed Lustral alone a few months ago but didn't try it because other anti-depressants have never had any effect. But this has given me the push to try it.

I guess I'm just wondering, did people find that Lustral aided concentration? Because that is one of my biggest problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I've been taking Lustral (200mg/day) for the last few weeks and I don't find it has any effect on me at all, I actually feel like my concentration has gotten poorer since it just sedates me slightly.

I have a friend who took it a few years previously though and she described it as a wonder drug. It improved all of her symptoms of depression within a few days (including concentration.)

I think the short answer is you won't know until you take it for at least two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I've been taking Lustral (200mg/day) for the last few weeks and I don't find it has any effect on me at all, I actually feel like my concentration has gotten poorer since it just sedates me slightly.

I have a friend who took it a few years previously though and she described it as a wonder drug. It improved all of her symptoms of depression within a few days (including concentration.)

I think the short answer is you won't know until you take it for at least two weeks.

Thanks for your response. :)

Yeah, it's amazing the mixed reports different medications receive. I'm starting taking Lustrum tomorrow morning so I guess I'll know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wesht Lady wrote: »
    I would sooner die than take anti-psychotics, I think they should only be used if one is sure of what the patient is suffering from. And I think the side effects sound horrendous.

I was prescribed Lustral alone a few months ago but didn't try it because other anti-depressants have never had any effect. But this has given me the push to try it.

I guess I'm just wondering, did people find that Lustral aided concentration? Because that is one of my biggest problems.

Anti-psychotics are used to treat symptoms, not diseases per se. If you're manic and/or psychotic then their use is justified. They're not that bad, I've been on several, weight gain is the main problem with the newer ones but they're a lot kinder than the old generation.

One thing you need to do is co-operate with your doctors or you'll get nowhere. If they give you a drug you need to give it a go. If the side effects are really bad they'll take you off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nesf wrote: »
    Anti-psychotics are used to treat symptoms, not diseases per se. If you're manic and/or psychotic then their use is justified. They're not that bad, I've been on several, weight gain is the main problem with the newer ones but they're a lot kinder than the old generation.

One thing you need to do is co-operate with your doctors or you'll get nowhere. If they give you a drug you need to give it a go. If the side effects are really bad they'll take you off of it.

I don't have mania, that's the thing. I have hyperactivity, but it is so so different from the mania associated with bipolar, for various reasons. I find appointments with psychiatrists trying at the best of times.

Started Lustral today, can't believe how different I feel already. :)

Advertisement