Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Athy leading by one 6-5 at half time.
    athy looked the better team but sarsfields defence are holding them back well.
    Athy scored 5 points in a space of 7 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Anymore updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Sarsfields 2-8 Athy 0-9 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

All Newbridge final as Sash win 2-12 to 0-11. Sean Dempsey and Ben McCormack with the goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Celbridge will be left wondering how they failed to win the first game. Crazy amount of missed opportunities. Had Paddy Brophy been available I think they would have won that comfortably. It's a long time since Moorefield were as comprehensively outplayed at midfield and yet they still somehow managed to win it.

Sarsfields will fancy their chances in the final if their neighbours are as poor again. The young players have really energised their team although could there be a potential conflict now with so many minors involved? Will they play in the minor or senior final? Athy continue to flatter to deceive. Losing Eaton at half time was a blow to their chances but it was a tame effort from them in the second half. They haven't kicked on at all since 2011.

Looking at potential county players for next year, I was impressed with Conor Brophy for Celbridge. He would add to Kildare's options around the middle of the field. Adam Tyrrell will also surely get another chance in the O'Byrne Cup. Ray Cahill continues to catch the eye for the Sash. McCormack and Dempsey took their goals well and should be involved with the u21s. James Eaton looked dangerous for Athy before having to be withdrawn.

All roads around newbridge will be leading to st Conleth's on the 19th of October..

athy were flat in the second half had no answer with the goals.
    sarsfields came out a different team in the second half the younger lads played well the future is bright in sash land..

Moorefield didnt look good again today but still they are in the county final. If it wasnt for o connor this year there championship would of being over by now.
    Sarsfields would have to fancy a revenge from last year maybe we will have the double on the day.
    up the sash

All roads around newbridge will be leading to st Conleth's on the 19th of October..

athy were flat in the second half had no answer with the goals.
    sarsfields came out a different team in the second half the younger lads played well the future is bright in sash land..

Moorefield didnt look good again today but still they are in the county final. If it wasnt for o connor this year there championship would of being over by now.
    Sarsfields would have to fancy a revenge from last year maybe we will have the double on the day.
    up the sash

Big shock in the hurling final Coill Dubh winning 3-11 to 0-16. Got the goals at crucial times. Celbridge were very flat today.

Moores v Sash final... boring.

Athy again fail to deliver when it really matters.

• Advertisement

The Sash and the County Board are digging their heels in at tonight's county board meeting over the scheduling of the minor final.

The Sash and the County Board are digging their heels in at tonight's county board meeting over the scheduling of the minor final.
    Why? Hasn't the Minor A final always been played on the same day as the Senior final?

There's numerous examples of this situation occurring, what makes them think they're different to every other team that has had this problem.

They should let the minors on their seniors play the minor game and if it's a case of them hammering Athy - of which there's a good chance - they should take them off early.

Nib wrote: »
    Why? Hasn't the Minor A final always been played on the same day as the Senior final?

There's numerous examples of this situation occurring, what makes them think they're different to every other team that has had this problem.

They should let the minors on their seniors play the minor game and if it's a case of them hammering Athy - of which there's a good chance - they should take them off early.

Happened in 2005. Laurences were playing Sarsfields in both senior and minor finals and as they had 3 players on both managed to get the minor final postponed to the following week

paulie21 wrote: »
    Happened in 2005. Laurences were playing Sarsfields in both senior and minor finals and as they had 3 players on both managed to get the minor final postponed to the following week
    That's different though. There was an agreement made between those two clubs. There's no way Athy will agree to a switch, their minors won't want to miss out on playing in front of a couple thousand people on county final day and who can blame them.

Am I right in saying that Sarsfields have just the two lads on the senior starting 15? McCormack and Dempsey?

I think Alan Scully is another starter. Con Kavanagh started the quarter final and came on last weekend. Hartley and Lawlor from the minor team have also featured.

I can understand where they're coming from but it would be unfair on Athy if it was moved. Nice problem for Sarsfields to have. I think they will win both anyway on what I saw on Saturday.

Heard it was turned down. Wouldnt be to concerned at all we have a big panel to pick from. I would perfer to see both matches on the sunday and go for the double!!!

U21 FC A
    1: Naas v Celbridge
    2: Moorefield v Kilcock
    3: Round Towers v Leixlip
    4: Athy v Balyna

Quarter Finals
    5: Clane v 1
    6: Sarsfields v 2
    7: Maynooth v 3
    8: Castledermot v 4

Semi Finals
    5 v 6
    7 v 8

A series of trial games have been fixed to unearth new players for the senior panel. They play Laois in Athy on Sunday 12th October, Meath in Kilcock on Thursday 16th October and Carlow in St Laurences on Thursday 30th October.

Players selected are:

GK: James Robinson (Towers), Tom Corley (Moorefield), Robbie Eyres (Clane)

DEF: Brian Kinahan (Athy), Liam Healy (Moorefield), Jamie Brilly (Rathcoffey), Luke Flynn (JTB), Seamus McNally (JTB), Donnachadh McDonnell (Sash), David Slattery (Confey), Barry Coffey (Sash), Ryan Houlihan (Moorefield), Eddie Delahunt (Athy), Paul Clifford (Sallins)

MID: Conor Brophy (Celbridge), Johnny Byrne (Allenwood), Paschal Connell (Athy), Mattie Byrne (Sash), Jason Acton (Rathcoffey),

FWD: Adam Tyrell (Moorefield), Ray Cahill (Sash), Neil Flynn (Maynooth), Ciaran Gravin (Clougherinkoe), Stuart Murphy (Towers), Cian Bolton (Eadestown), Shane O'Rourke (Kilcock), Eanna O'Connor (Moorefield), James Eaton (Athy), Chris Healy (TMH), Andy O'Neill (Straffan)

Good to see eanna o connor getting a go. Nice player

One thing Ryan cannot be accused of is failing to look at new players for the panel. Great to see some names from small clubs like Rathcoffey, Sallins, Clogherinkoe, Two Mile House and Straffan. They wouldn't have had a lot of inter county representatives down the years.

I presume the Newbridge players won't feature until the match on the 30th with whoever wins the county championship missing out altogether?

• Advertisement

Surprised Rob Kelly's not on that list. Some other notable omissions would be Emmett O'Keeffe of Castledermot, he has always impressed me whenever I've watched him. Shane Harte of Celbridge and Andrew Behan of Nurney would be two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

One or two baffling inclusions on that trial panel too.

Fair few of them are eligible for the u21s in 2015. Luke Flynn, Liam Healy, Ryan Houlihan, Paschal Connell, Neil Flynn, Shane O'Rourke and Chris Healy by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Fair few of them are eligible for the u21s in 2015. Luke Flynn, Liam Healy, Ryan Houlihan, Paschal Connell, Neil Flynn, Shane O'Rourke and Chris Healy by my reckoning.

They are the type of players that need to be looked at more. Players in their late 20's who don't stand out for intermediate clubs being called up is what baffles me. Maybe they need to make up numbers.

Sarsfields have appealed the decision not to postpone the minor final to the leinster council

They are the type of players that need to be looked at more. Players in their late 20's who don't stand out for intermediate clubs being called up is what baffles me. Maybe they need to make up numbers.

Sadly there are only so many of those players around.

I guess there's an element of keeping the clubs happy with an exercise like this. McGeeney didn't seem to bother much with club football in Kildare and it came back to bite him in the end.

Laois or Carlow in quarter final of 2015 Leinster Championship

It's a long way off. Laois should take Carlow unless they implode completely and we have had their measure in recent years so hopefully that will continue but it's hard to get motivated about the prospect of facing the Dubs in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

paulie21 wrote: »
    A series of trial games have been fixed to unearth new players for the senior panel. They play Laois in Athy on Sunday 12th October, Meath in Kilcock on Thursday 16th October and Carlow in St Laurences on Thursday 30th October.

Players selected are:

GK: James Robinson (Towers), Tom Corley (Moorefield), Robbie Eyres (Clane)

DEF: Brian Kinahan (Athy), Liam Healy (Moorefield), Jamie Brilly (Rathcoffey), Luke Flynn (JTB), Seamus McNally (JTB), Donnachadh McDonnell (Sash), David Slattery (Confey), Barry Coffey (Sash), Ryan Houlihan (Moorefield), Eddie Delahunt (Athy), Paul Clifford (Sallins)

MID: Conor Brophy (Celbridge), Johnny Byrne (Allenwood), Paschal Connell (Athy), Mattie Byrne (Sash), Jason Acton (Rathcoffey),

FWD: Adam Tyrell (Moorefield), Ray Cahill (Sash), Neil Flynn (Maynooth), Ciaran Gravin (Clougherinkoe), Stuart Murphy (Towers), Cian Bolton (Eadestown), Shane O'Rourke (Kilcock), Eanna O'Connor (Moorefield), James Eaton (Athy), Chris Healy (TMH), Andy O'Neill (Straffan)

Any idea what time the match is on at tomorrow? Despite a lengthy article on their website they don't mention the throw in times!

http://kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3093:the-lilywhite-october-series&catid=203:mens-news&Itemid=145

• Advertisement

Any idea what time the match is on at tomorrow? Despite a lengthy article on their website they don't mention the throw in times!

http://kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3093:the-lilywhite-october-series&catid=203:mens-news&Itemid=145

I heard throw in is at 7.

Advertisement