Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Minor B Final

Suncroft 2-14 Rheban 1-9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Is that Brian Flanagan who played until a couple of years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Yes it is.

A little disappointed to not see Sos Dowling's name there. I'd love to see him on board.

IFC Final

Castledermot 1-12 Raheens 0-12

• Advertisement

Wexford in quarter finals of Leinster SFC. Longford/Westmeath/Offaly in same side. A final is well in our grasp there and it should be the minimum target

paulie21 wrote: »
    Wexford in quarter finals of Leinster SFC. Longford/Westmeath/Offaly in same side. A final is well in our grasp there and it should be the minimum target

Westmeath will probably be thinking the same and both Wexford and Longford will fancy a quarter final scalp. That said, the draw couldn't have worked out better from a Kildare point of view had Cian O'Neill made it up himself. A Leinster Final is an achievable target and that should focus minds and generate a small bit of optimism for the winter.

It will be very interesting to see how they approach the league campaign. With Bryan Murphy involved, it's a safe assumption that there will be a few lads from his u21 panel being stepped up to the seniors. With a good opportunity of a Leinster u21 title next year (three years on from winning the Leinster minor in 2013), they will have to find the right balance between blooding lads in Division 3 and ensuring that the u21s preparations go smoothly.

I wouldn't be taking Wexford for granted. Remember our first outing in the championship under McGeeney?

A Leinster final appearance would be nice, but have we a hope in hell of beating Dublin? I don't think we do, not yet anyway. I'd lay a wager with anyone right now that Dublin will win the next 10 Leinsters. It's a depressing thought.

Having said that, I'm really excited to see how Cian gets on, he's saying all the right things, putting it into action is a different story.

There's no one expecting miracles in the first year but with a little bit more organisation and with a lot more belief, there's no reason why Kildare couldn't get back to being competitive again in a year or two.

Morale was at rock bottom for the last 18 months and members of the last managerial setup were disliked. I can't see the same divisions emerging with this new management team. The three selectors are all popular and capable men. The young players in the county have great respect for Murphy and would run through brick walls for him. Brennan has plenty of coaching experience built up at this stage and was a big presence in the management team of the u21s who reached the All Ireland Final. The fact that he is a Sarsfields man should also help quell any talk of Moorefield favoritism if O'Neill promotes some of his clubmates to the panel. Flanagan was a very popular character in the dressing room during his playing days and he was mentally tough which is not something you could say about every player who soldiered with him.

I'd wager that the panel will be a happier place in 2016 and that should help performances on the field.

Fascinating county final in prospect tomorrow. I would have had Moorefield and Celbridge ahead of both teams six weeks ago so we're looking at two teams who have hit form at the right time. I think Sarsfields have overcome better teams to reach this stage although Athy gave them a lesson in the first round before the summer. If Kevin Feely is fit I would make Athy favourites. If he doesn't I would expect Sarsfields to gain enough of a foothold at midfield to edge it. Some good young players on show on either side like Ben McCormack, Alan Scully, Steven Lawlor, Mark Hyland and Hughie Mahon who could impress the county selectors.

I think Clane will have enough for Moorefield in the minor final.

• Advertisement

Minor final:

Moorefield 2-9 Clane 0-11

Into the last few minutes. Big rush to get in after the rugby. Back to proper sport!

Clane hit the bar

Goal for Clane but too late. Moores hold out by a point.

Moorefield 2-9 Clane 1-11

Bit of an upset in my book but it just goes to show that Moorefield won't be down for long. U21 finalists last year and minor champions this year.

SFC Final:

Athy 1-7 Sarsfields 0-9

Second half underway. Entertaining game.

Conor Tiernan red card.

1-9 to 0-9

20 minutes left. Sash up against it now.

1-11 to 0-13

Into the final few minutes. Great Sarsfields comeback but Darroch Mulhall kicks Athy back ahead.

Did you pass out with the excitement, Klairon?

Well done, Sarsfields. Great comeback.

Yeah great finish. You could have questioned Sarsfields last year when they threw it away but that was a seriously ballsy effort in the second half today. They deserved it too. Created a few goal chances whereas Athy only really had the penalty.

Athy will wonder how they lost it having been a man up and three points up. Hughie Mahon messed up a great chance to win it. I think he saw his name in lights when he had men over for a simple score.

Hard to say how far Sarsfields can go. They kicked wide after wide three years ago when Ballymun Kickhams knocked them out. They have plenty of young players who are used to winning although real wintry conditions might not suit some of their forwards. Conor Tiernan will be a big loss if he's suspended and they will need Smith fit and on form.

I don't think Conor Tiernan will be suspended. I believe you can only serve a suspension in the competition you were red carded in.

• Advertisement

They're away to Portlaoise/Emo/Palatine in three weeks time. That should give Smith enough time. Portlaoise definitely don't look as strong this year.

Portlaoise were very lucky today, Emo were leading in injury time in their final until Zach Tuohy rescued them. 43 year old Mick Lawlor scored two goals for Emo.

Ridiculous scheduling not to allow for a replay with the Palatine match down for next weekend. Terribly unfair on the players involved. It's not as if the Laois team were still going late into the summer. Did the Emo/Arles Kilcruise draw put the final back or was it always down for this weekend?

Ridiculous scheduling not to allow for a replay with the Palatine match down for next weekend. Terribly unfair on the players involved. It's not as if the Laois team were still going late into the summer. Did the Emo/Arles Kilcruise draw put the final back or was it always down for this weekend?
    I don't know to be honest. Laois were knocked out after the first round of qualifiers yet they play their final on the same day as the Dublin one.. Madness.

What will happen there I wonder, they'll hardly play the replay next Saturday then Palatine on the Sunday, will they?

They should push back the Leinster first round to 1 November but if there's another draw somewhere along the line it could really complicate matters. Interesting subtext to that match with Mick Lillis over Palatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

What a day!

Up the sash. Never say never. I say athy are kicking them self's they could never pull away from sarsfields are leading for the 60 mins.
    I think we played better football all day and just picked out our scores could of had a few goals too.
    Thank you sarsfields for the session that I'm about to enjoy!!!!!!!!!

They should push back the Leinster first round to 1 November but if there's another draw somewhere along the line it could really complicate matters. Interesting subtext to that match with Mick Lillis over Palatine.

Portlaoise has lights so they can play during the week. Baltinglass in 2008 couldn't play Leinster championship because of a drawn final

Portlaoise has lights so they can play during the week. Baltinglass in 2008 couldn't play Leinster championship because of a drawn final

https://twitter.com/CLGLaois/status/655844255806717953

Is the Leinster game still on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Is the Leinster game still on Sunday?

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to GAA administration but surely it will be pushed back a week.

Advertisement