Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Finally no Mickey Conway.
    Is there enough Moorefield men on the team??

What do people think are the big shocks/omissions etc here?

There was lots of talk about ray cahill who didn't make the cut. Also morgan oflaherty - anybody else?

I taught ray should of made the cut he is one of the best forwards in the county and probably should of got a run out in the league anyways. As a sarsfields man I'd would put him ahead of smithy.
    Maybe he is a better player as a club player but I taught he deserved a chance to prove himself being one of the top scorers in the o Bryne cup wasn't enough to keep him there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Leinster Minor Football League Fixtures 2016
    Kildare have entered two teams into the league this year
    Leinster Minor Football League 2016 Fixtures
    Group 1: Wexford, Kildare, Dublin, Cork
    Group 2: Offaly, Meath, Longford, Limerick
    Group 3: Carlow, Cill Dara, Westmeath, Clare
    Group 4: Laois, Wicklow, Laois, Tipperary
    Round One
    Group 1: Kildare v Wexford Sat 13th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G1: Dublin v Cork Sat 13th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G3: Carlow v Cill Dara Sat 13th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G3: Westmeath v Clare Sat 13th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    Round Two
    G1: Kildare v Cork Sat 20th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G1: Wexford v Dublin Sat 20th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G3: Cill Dara v Westmeath Sat 20th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    Round Three
    G1: Wexford v Cork Sat 27th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G1: Dublin v Kildare Sat 27th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G3: Westmeath v Carlow Sat 27th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    G3: Cill Dara v Clare. Sat 27th Feb TBC 2.30pm
    Semi-finals: Sat 12th March
    1. Winner Group One v Winner Group Two
    2. Winner Group Three v Winner Group Four.
    Final: Sat 19th March.
    Winner 1 (above) v Winner 2 (above).
    Some experimental rules will be trialled in the Leinster MFL including 'the mark' and a limit on the number of successive handpasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

How in the name of Christ does Fionn Dowling keep getting picked? He must have some dirt on someone in the Kildare set up.

I have a horrible feeling O'Neill is going to be a spectacular failure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Torricelli wrote: »
    How in the name of Christ does Fionn Dowling keep getting picked? He must have some dirt on someone in the Kildare set up.

I have a horrible feeling O'Neill is going to be a spectacular failure.

I have the same thoughts about O Callaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Team selection rather than panel will ultimately tell us a lot more about what direction O'Neill wants to take with this team.

Personally I'd be a bit disappointed if guys like Leper and Daryl Flynn were pushing for places come the championship because that would mean that the younger players haven't kicked on during the league. It looks like there is a lot more depth there than last year but Kildare need players like Mark Sherry and Neil Flynn to be establishing themselves at senior level.

u21 Peter McNulty Football Tournament:

Kildare 0-12 Clare 0-7

Kildare top their group after winning their three games.

Joe Quaid has picked his first Kildare team for the first round of the Kehoe Cup:

Kildare-hurling-team.jpg

Kehoe Cup:

Kildare 5-24 Trinity College Dublin 0-4

Leinster Colleges A Semi Final:

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 2-9 St Benildus, Dublin 1-12 (AET)

• Advertisement

u21 Peter McNulty Football Tournament Semi Final:

Kildare 2-11 Wexford 2-10

Kildare goals from Rory Feely and Conor Delahunty. Hard not to get the impression that Kildare weren't too pushed about getting to the final of this - Paul Mescal, Luke Flynn and Ben McCormack left on the bench with Neil Flynn, Chris Healy, Ryan Houlihan and Mark Sherry not togged out.

CZaq_Hmm_WEAAO0_UC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Speaking of captains anyone see the documentary about Glenn Ryan on TG4 tonight was very good

paulie21 wrote: »
    Speaking of captains anyone see the documentary about Glenn Ryan on TG4 tonight was very good
    Yeah seen that. It was very good. Brought back the memories of 98 again. It's hard to believe that we've only won 3 lenisters in nearly 60 years now..

Maynooth University beaten by Queens Belfast in the Sigerson Cup. 0-13 to 1-8.

Have to say I'm pretty happy we'll have the likes of Cribbin, Flynn and Conway fresh for Sunday. There's far too much credence given to these college competitions.

Chris Healy continued his good form scoring Carlow IT's goal. Neither Kevin Feely nor Dan Flynn played in the DCU v AIT game tonight. They must be doubts for the early rounds of the league.

Kildare SF (v Westmeath, 31/1/16)

1. Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2. Peter Kelly (Capt.) - Two Mile House
    3. Ciarán Fitzpatrick - Kilcock
    4. Ollie Lyons - Celbridge
    5. Johnny Byrne - Allenwood
    6. Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7. Ryan Houlihan - Moorefield
    8. Daryl Flynn - Moorefield
    9. David Hyland - Athy
    10. Adam Tyrrell - Moorefield
    11. Eoghan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    12. Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    13. Neil Flynn - Maynooth
    14. Niall Kelly - Athy
    15. Cathal McNally - Johnstownbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Has Kevin Feely given up the soccer for good? Unusual to see player give up full time soccer to return to GAA. I'm sure he get a deal with likes of Pats or Rovers if still interested playing soccer

Gael85 wrote: »
    Has Kevin Feely given up the soccer for good? Unusual to see player give up full time soccer to return to GAA. I'm sure he get a deal with likes of Pats or Rovers if still interested playing soccer
    “The days when Athy were playing championship while I was in England were brutal,” said Feely. “And when the Kildare under-21s won Leinster in my own age, it was hard to take. Missing out on big years kind of helped influence my decision. I felt I had a bit more to offer to Gaelic than I had to soccer although I had a chance to make a career over there. The fact that I was constantly thinking about Gaelic while I was over there probably told me that my heart’s not in this.”

The former county minor began a soccer scholarship at DCU in 2010, where he was studying physiotherapy. Two years later he moved to England, having signed with Charlton Athletic. This week he is back on campus in north Dublin, belatedly beginning the third year of his studies.

“Finishing the degree and getting back playing Gaelic football were the main reasons behind coming back,” said Feely. “Soccer is not in my plans at the moment.”

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2015/09/24/feely-targets-kildare-spot-but-has-sights-set-on-a-second-senior-title-first/

His brother is in the same boat at the moment. He's on the Kildare u21s after winning a Leinster minor medal last year but is also playing soccer with St Patrick's Athletic.

Not particularly impressed with that team. Don't rate Houlihan at all, he's way too loose marking for my liking. Cathal McNally is not good enough to be on a panel at this level, never mind starting.

And to think the free scoring Ray Cahill wasn't good enough for a place on the panel.

Mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

His brother is in the same boat at the moment. He's on the Kildare u21s after winning a Leinster minor medal last year but is also playing soccer with St Patrick's Athletic.

Fare play to him for following his heart and not the money. Will be huge addition. Is midfield his position? Is Darach Mulhall near county panel?

Gael85 wrote: »
    Fare play to him for following his heart and not the money. Will be huge addition. Is midfield his position? Is Darach Mulhall near county panel?

He was a midfielder at underage level before he left anyway. He played centre forward for Athy in the county semi final and final last year. DCU were playing him at full back in the O'Byrne Cup.

Mulhall turned down O'Neill's invitation to try out for the panel. It looked for a while a year or two back that he might finally make it but he has fallen away again. He was only a sub in the latter stages of the club championship.

We look good at the back and the half forwards are like they could attack but the midfield and full forwards look dodge. It's westmeath we are playing and I would expect a win but think it will be low scoring. Can't see a few of them starting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Daryl Flynn wouldn't be anywhere near mobile enough to be an inter county midfielder. Strange that he's even on the panel

paulie21 wrote: »
    Daryl Flynn wouldn't be anywhere near mobile enough to be an inter county midfielder. Strange that he's even on the panel

He's a liability that would get himself sent off very quickly and a bit of a dog of a player which we might need for the first few games just to get us over the line. I'd leave him there for the first 3 games but come championship time he won't be near the panel. I think he even finds it hard to get a start with moorefield

He's a liability that would get himself sent off very quickly and a bit of a dog of a player which we might need for the first few games just to get us over the line. I'd leave him there for the first 3 games but come championship time he won't be near the panel. I think he even finds it hard to get a start with moorefield

He has looked fairly broken up for the last few years. When he was taken off against Offaly a Newbridge man beside me muttered that it was probably the last we'd see of him in a Kildare jersey. I'm taking his inclusion in the panel as an endorsement by the management that he could put his physical problems behind him with hard work and a bit of luck.

With the way Kildare's injury list looks at the moment it was probably a choice between Daryl, Matty Byrne and David Whyte to start on Sunday. Padraig O'Neill never convinced as a midfielder and Cribbin is a better half forward. It would have been nice to have Chalky available.

Leinster Colleges Football B Final:

Naas CBS 1-7 Scoil Dara, Kilcock 1-6 (FT)

Leinster Colleges Football A Semi Final:

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-6 St Benildus, Dublin 0-4 (HT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Torricelli wrote: »
    Not particularly impressed with that team. Don't rate Houlihan at all, he's way too loose marking for my liking. Cathal McNally is not good enough to be on a panel at this level, never mind starting.

And to think the free scoring Ray Cahill wasn't good enough for a place on the panel.

Mind boggling.

It's a joke at this stage. Successive managers making the same mistake. Flynn or Houlihan wouldn't be near the panel if they weren't playing for Moorefield. Good to see Tyrell getting a crack but the omission of Ray Cahill is a joke.

Leinster Colleges Football A Semi Final:

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-8 St Benildus, Dublin 0-5 (48 mins)

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    It's a joke at this stage. Successive managers making the same mistake. Flynn or Houlihan wouldn't be near the panel if they weren't playing for Moorefield. Good to see Tyrell getting a crack but the omission of Ray Cahill is a joke.
    Yeah, Tyrell is an exciting prospect, really looking forward to watching him. Neill Flynn as well.

I'd be more worried about Daryl Flynn's discipline, he has a tendency to lash out and ask questions later, to the detriment of his team. Overall, there's a worrying lack of county standard midfielders in Kildare.

The omission of Cahill has left a bitter taste in my mouth, I've a felling it was a decision made on non-footballing reasons. No matter what way you dress it up, Dowling, Callaghan and McNally are lesser players than Cahill.

Tomorrow at 3:30pm will tell us a lot.

Advertisement