Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Christy Ring Cup 1/4 final result:

Kildare 1-17 London 0-15

Mark Delaney got the Kildare goal in the first half. Gerry Keegan to the fore as usual. Meath await in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Hi folks, here's a wiki entry for Castledermot:

St Dermot’s hurling club was founded by Iran natives Mouhammd Kaliki and Halib Kumenstan in 1958.

Is this an April fool joke or is it genuine? ( Just curious.)

Can none of you peatland-dwelling dudes enlighten me on this?

Yesterday's Tom Cross JFC results:

Rathcoffey 1-8 Robertstown 1-7
    Kilcullen 0-11 Grangenolvan 0-9
    Rheban 2-8 Milltown 0-13

Today's JFC fixtures (venue Newbridge):

Ardclough v Cappagh (5:15)
    Ballykelly v Kildangan (7:00)

The draw for the SHC and the IHC will take place at 2:30 and will be broadcast live on KFM.

SHC Rd 1:

Confey v Naas
    Coill Dubh v Leixlip
    Ardclough v Celbridge
    Éire Óg/Corra Choill v Clane

IHC Rd 1:

Kilcock v Naas (2)
    Celbridge (2) v Maynooth
    Moorefield v St. Laurences
    Kill v Ardclough (2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Can none of you peatland-dwelling dudes enlighten me on this?

It's 100% true, there are still a bunch of Kalikis living in Castledermot, they have set up a small mosque there but I don't think they are involved in the gaa club anymore

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Pagliuca

JFC Result:
    Kildangan 0-14 Ballykelly 1-10

Well done to Kildangan, winning their first match back in the junior championship. Just reward for years of hard work that little parish.

Ch8_DXeXIAAvpNs.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Ch8_DXeXIAAvpNs.jpg:large

Any big names missing?

max life wrote: »
    Any big names missing?

5 gone from the panel: Tom Corley, Liam Healy, Con Kavanagh, Rob Kelly and Ben McCormack.

I would have kept the two young Sarsfields lads and sacrificed two older players included but maybe they have plans to travel this summer.

Tom Cross JFC:

Cappagh 1-11 Ardclough 1-4

• Advertisement

Good win for the u17 hurlers tonight beating Offaly by 2 points in Birr (2-18 to 2-16).

Kildare had beaten North Wexford in their opening game.

Good win for the u17 hurlers tonight beating Offaly by 2 points in Birr (2-18 to 2-16).

Kildare had beaten North Wexford in their opening game.

That looks like two very good results for Kildare. As one who remembers the great team of Pat Dunny and Johnny Walsh I'm glad for Kildare. But I wonder if it's a further indication of the sad decline of Offaly.

That looks like two very good results for Kildare. As one who remembers the great team of Pat Dunny and Johnny Walsh I'm glad for Kildare. But I wonder if it's a further indication of the sad decline of Offaly.

It's a good Kildare crop. This group have competed very well against the likes of Offaly, Laois, Carlow and Westmeath since u14. The panel contains plenty of the Naas players who have held their own in the Kilkenny underage leagues and won the Division 2 All Ireland Féile in 2014 and reached the Division 1 semi final last year. The only downside is we will probably lose some of these lads to football eventually.

The only downside is we will probably lose some of these lads to football eventually.

Unfortunately that's what tends to happen. The most glaring example was Dublin in the 70s. Heffernan, himself a hurler of note, poached Hanahoe, Keaveney and the Holdens, all as good if not better hurlers. It took Dublin hurling three decades to recover.

Unfortunately that's what tends to happen. The most glaring example was Dublin in the 70s. Heffernan, himself a hurler of note, poached Hanahoe, Keaveney and the Holdens, all as good if not better hurlers. It took Dublin hurling three decades to recover.

It's the case at senior level at the moment. Eoin Doyle and Fergal Conway were excellent underage hurlers. Johnny Byrne this year is probably our first dual player at senior level since Adrian McAndrew.

It's the case at senior level at the moment. Eoin Doyle and Fergal Conway were excellent underage hurlers. Johnny Byrne this year is probably our first dual player at senior level since Adrian McAndrew.

Football doesn't need them. Hurling does. GAA should step in with some incentive. I'm off now. Goodnight.

CiU6v3XXAAAacs5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Sarsfields all the way!!!!

Will probably do the day in Hawkfield on the Sunday, three good games there.

Can't beat the club championships, hope we get this kind of weather for it.

Niall Kelly will join Daniel Flynn, Ciaran Fitzpatrick, Keith Cribbin and team captain Eoin Doyle on the sidelines for Kildare's championship opener against Wexford on Saturday. Gulp.

• Advertisement

How are we feeling about Saturday?

Hard to know what kind of game we're going to get with all these injuries.

I reckon we might win by 3 or 4.

It's hard to know how Kildare will line out with so many of our important players missing. Some fringe players might have played their way out of contention with their no show against Clare. Morgan O'Flaherty should feature somewhere to try and plug some of the holes we have at the back. I'm hearing Éanna O'Connor may also start.

I don't know a whole lot about Wexford. They still have some names that you'd respect like Banville, Brosnan and Shanley who looked a good prospect for their u21s when they played in Hawkfield earlier this year. They didn't manage to get out of Division 4 though so you would hope a weakened and vulnerable Kildare will deal with them but it's hard to be confident about it.

It's a joke that the Leinster Council in their wisdom have fixed the minor football match for the same day.

Leinster JFC half time:

Kildare 1-10 Meath 1-6

Both sides fielding an u23 selection. Daniel Grehan got the Kildare goal.

Leinster JFC result:

Kildare 2-17 Meath 1-12

The second goal came from Eoghan Boyle late in the day. Chris Fenner and Chris Healy did most of the damage.

Brian Flanagan, Tadhg Fennin and Johnny Doyle on the line for Kildare tonight. Good to see those lads involved helping to develop young players in the county.

Kildare will play Louth in the semi final in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Team to face Wexford:

Mark Donnellan
    Peter Kelly
    David Hyland
    Ollie Lyons
    Eoin Doyle
    Fergal Conway
    Emmet Bolton
    Kevin Feely
    Tommy Moolick
    Adam Tyrell
    Eoghan O Flaherty
    Paul Cribbin
    Eamonn Callaghan
    Alan Smith
    Neil Flynn

paulie21 wrote: »
    Team to face Wexford:

Mark Donnellan
    Peter Kelly
    David Hyland
    Ollie Lyons
    Eoin Doyle
    Fergal Conway
    Emmet Bolton
    Kevin Feely
    Tommy Moolick
    Adam Tyrell
    Eoghan O Flaherty
    Paul Cribbin
    Eamonn Callaghan
    Alan Smith
    Neil Flynn

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a change or two before throw in but O'Neill hasn't really done dummy teams up to this point.

Leinster MFC 1/4 Final:

Kildare 1-4 Westmeath 0-1

Half way through the first half. Westmeath have kicked 5 wides so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Leinster MFC 1/4 Final:

Kildare 1-4 Westmeath 0-1

Half way through the first half. Westmeath have kicked 5 wides so far.

scorers?

• Advertisement

scorers?

1-6 to 0-1

Ciaran Kelly (1-2), Jimmy Hyland (0-3), Brian McLoughlin (0-1), David Kelly (0-1).

Advertisement