Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Peter McNulty u21 Tournament:

Kildare 1-14 Clare 2-12

O'Byrne Cup (half time):

Offaly 0-2 Kildare 2-8

Niall Kelly (1-2), Eoin Doyle (1-0), Neil Flynn (0-2, 2fs), Tommy Moolick (0-1), Conor Hartley (0-1), Cathal McNally (0-1), Fergal Conway (0-1).

Offaly down to 14 men after Nigel Dunne was red carded.

Three changes for Kildare at half time. Cian O'Donoghue for Johnny Byrne, David Slattery for Conor Hartley and Keith Cribbin for Fergal Conway. Offaly have kicked 0-3 since half time.

Straight red for Shea Ryan.

Third goal for Tommy Moolick.

• Advertisement

Walsh Cup:

Meath 1-19 Kildare 1-18

O'Byrne Cup:

Offaly 0-8 Kildare 3-11

Niall Kelly (1-4), Tommy Moolick (1-1), Eoin Doyle (1-0), Neil Flynn (0-2, 2fs), Conor Hartley (0-1), Cathal McNally (0-1), Fergal Conway (0-1), Fionn Dowling (0-1, 1f).

Kildare into the semi final next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where is the game, Newbridge or PP?

Newbridge

Kildare to appeal Shea Ryan's red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kildare to appeal Shea Ryan's red card.

He will probably need another year before he is ready for senior inter-county football. I hope he is not trying to emulate Gary White in getting stupid red cards.

It was a good 1st half display in general with some good link up play and good tackling. Fergal Conway and Conor Hartley both got on a lot of ball and used it well apart from some wayward shooting. Niall Kelly had moments of serious class as usual to while Ben McCormack showed well but failed to get his head up at times.
    Fergal Conway going off at half time seen the team lose all momentum though while Cian O'Donoghue was in terrible form when he came on.

College players will hopefully be back next week, I'm not sure where they fit in but I see Feely has been playing centre back for DCU so might be worth trying there. Something like:
    Donnellan

O'Grady
    Doyle/D Hyland
    Lyons

Doyle/D Hyland
    Feely
    Byrne

Moolick
    Dowling

Conway
    Kelly
    P Cribben

McCormack
    D Flynn
    N Flynn

Maybe Feely might not have the mobility for the half back line but Dowling and Moolick are potentially a well balanced midfield pairing while Fergal Conway can thrive in the roving half forward role. Hartley looks impressive for his age.

Anyone know if Paul Mescal is injured still or will he get a chance to be on the panel this year. By far the best defender I've seen play underage for Kildare in the last few years.

Anyone know if Paul Mescal is injured still or will he get a chance to be on the panel this year. By far the best defender I've seen play underage for Kildare in the last few years.

He's under 21 again this year but maybe his acting career might get in the way of the football!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He's under 21 again this year but maybe his acting career might get in the way of the football!

I never knew that, not that common a combination I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Newbridge

I'm expecting soap in the dispensers and a fair chance in the raffle Klairondavis!!

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm expecting soap in the dispensers and a fair chance in the raffle Klairondavis!!

The price of a raffle ticket would probably get you the deeds to the stadium.

C2kEVnGXcAI51Ub.jpg

Kildare u21 v Limerick, McNulty Cup Rd 3

1 Luke Mullins (Naas)
    2 Mark Dempsey (Moorefield)
    3 David Randles (Aylmer Gaels)
    4 Darren Maguire (Maynooth)
    5 Danny O'Sullivan (Maynooth)
    6 Kevin Foley (Sallins)
    7 Shane Maughan (Ellistown)
    8 Brian Travers (Rathcoffey)
    9 Daniel Courtney (Kilcock)
    10 Cian Costigan (Sarsfields)
    11 Stefan Lawlor (Rathangan)
    12 Con Kavanagh (Sarsfields)
    13 Cian Scanlon (Sarsfields)
    14 Eoghan Boyle (Rathangan)
    15 Ian Meehan (Moorefield)

McNulty Cup Rd 3:

Kildare 0-11 Limerick 2-10

Kildare don't look as strong at this grade as in previous years. A lot of the minors from last year involved presumably with an eye towards 2018 when u21 will be replaced by u20. Should be a lot more competitive in the championship when those with the seniors at the moment like McCormack, Hartley, Shea Ryan and Mark Hyland are available.

Poor display from the footballers.

Great effort from the hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Point taking was very poor, there were some wild shots, especially when you compare to Dublin's shooting. They make point scoring seem natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I was in Newbridge yesterday (supporting Dublin). I got the impression, from Kildare supporters around me, that a victory, even this early in the year, would have meant far more to the home side than the visitors.

Looking in from the outside, and again allowing for the fact that it's only January, the old Kildare failings were there. The fact that yous didn't score for the last 15-20 minutes says it all.

The Glen Ryan Laochra Gael was on TG4 earlier. Where are the leaders in the current crop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I was in Newbridge yesterday (supporting Dublin). I got the impression, from Kildare supporters around me, that a victory, even this early in the year, would have meant far more to the home side than the visitors.

Looking in from the outside, and again allowing for the fact that it's only January, the old Kildare failings were there. The fact that yous didn't score for the last 15-20 minutes says it all.

The Glen Ryan Laochra Gael was on TG4 earlier. Where are the leaders in the current crop?

And why wouldn't it?? Beating Dublin at home, especially their third string is something you need to be doing.

I doubt the fans of the All Ireland Champions losing an O Byrne Cup semi final away from home with their third string on a wet January evening meant anything really to Dublin fans.

I am not sure what Glen Ryan has to do with this team almost twenty years after 1998. The players we have are capable of progressing and there are leaders amongst them also but there are very few counties that have leaders of the calibre of Glenn Ryan.

I am not sure what Glen Ryan has to do with this team almost twenty years after 1998. The players we have are capable of progressing and there are leaders amongst them also but there are very few counties that have leaders of the calibre of Glenn Ryan.

Apart from two players, maybe three at a stretch, I don't think there are many leaders in this current team. From the recent underage teams only Mescal stands out as a real leader. There's not enough dog in too many of our players. The likes of Chalky, Roli, McLoughlin and Daryl Flynn had their flaws as footballers but you would never accuse them of being a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

And why wouldn't it?? Beating Dublin at home, especially their third string is something you need to be doing.

I doubt the fans of the All Ireland Champions losing an O Byrne Cup semi final away from home with their third string on a wet January evening meant anything really to Dublin fans.

Wow! Sorry pal! I was purely talking from the supporters point of view re: its importance. Mightn't be too much to Dublin fans, but it undoubtedly meant a huge amount to the players. Realistically, none of those Dubs will play in the Championship this year, but if they want to break into an All-Ireland winning panel, they need to be beating their Leinster rivals when they get the chance.

It was not wet on Sunday, 'twas a beautiful day in Newbridge ;)

As I explained already, but I'm happy to repeat, Glenn Ryan's Laochra Gael was on TG4 on Monday night. When you look at the Kildare team of 2000, say, who came back from 6 down to beat Dublin, and you compare it to the Kildare team on Sunday, who lost from six points up, there is some difference.

A genuine question, who are the leaders in the current Lillies crop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Kildare seem a team still rattled by the 7 goals Kerry scored against them in 2015. I watched kildare a few times in 2016, league final against Clare, Leinster Championship against Wexford and Westmeath and they were extremely poor.

O Neill might have been a good No 2 with Kerry, but as for him as manager, he is no better then Jason Ryan it looks.

We have been in sharp decline since the Donegal game in 2011. Club football is not in a great place considering the lack of impact recent county champions have had in Leinster. There are signs for encouragement on the underage scene but we're expecting a large group of young and inexperienced players to drive a fragile and underachieving team on. We may have some underage silverware but we're not in a position to do what other more successful counties have the luxury of doing - cherry picking a handful of the best players from each underage team and easing them into an already experienced and successful senior set up. We have to try to integrate a whole glut of rookies at once and hope for the best when we throw them into the deep end. O'Neill has his work cut out all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

As important as leaders are we need better players.

That's the simplicity of the situation I feel.

When we query why we are so far behind top 4-6 team the answer is simple. They have better players.

Imagine how many of Dublins third choice team would have got on our first team.

C3sKAY6UEAADHwQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Any taughts on Sundays game?? If we play like we did against dublin we will we will struggle to stay up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It's Meath. Huge rivalry and probably from our and their point of view the most important at the moment.

Just beat them and I'm happy.

Advertisement