Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great game yesterday. I thought the Kildare goalie might have worn a cap in the second half, with the sun being in his eyes. Second goal came just as the heads were dropping, and really put a puncture in Meaths roll.

That lad with the pony tail for Meath, very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Wasn't it great!!!!!!

I think we will stand it up to the westmeath on the 16th. The last two games we have showed our strengths and speed. We are playing some sexy football have a game plan in place..

Exciting times ahead for this kildare team and also great to see a good following there yesterday.
    Bring on the bug guns now we have nothing to fear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Serious performance from you yesterday. Great to see the game played at such pace and with a real freedom.
    Great set of young forwards too.
    Hope ye f $€king smash the Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Felexicon wrote: »
    Serious performance from you yesterday. Great to see the game played at such pace and with a real freedom.
    Great set of young forwards too.
    Hope ye f $€king smash the Dubs

They are definitely for the taken and it be great for a team to come under the radar to knock them off their high stool.
    Hopefully we can put a good game up to whoever we play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I just want us to continue playing positive football. and if it is Dublin we play stand toe to toe and win lose or draw if we give it our all ill be happy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Great credit to Cian O'Neill for the style of football he has this Kildare team playing. Kildare (to us outsiders looking in) often had a reputation for slow ponderous play, poor shooting, defensively good but not great forwards, fit and athletic but no flair, etc etc, I'm sure ye've heard it too many times.

But the present Kildare team are playing with a swagger and attacking flair that i haven't seen from a Kildare team in a good few years, and for the first time in a long time (dare I say it) we have a team going into a Leinster Final that might actually ask some questions of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The draw for the second round of the senior and intermediate football championships will take place tomorrow at 6:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Great credit to Cian O'Neill for the style of football he has this Kildare team playing. Kildare (to us outsiders looking in) often had a reputation for slow ponderous play, poor shooting, defensively good but not great forwards, fit and athletic but no flair, etc etc, I'm sure ye've heard it too many times.

But the present Kildare team are playing with a swagger and attacking flair that i haven't seen from a Kildare team in a good few years, and for the first time in a long time (dare I say it) we have a team going into a Leinster Final that might actually ask some questions of Dublin.

Let's wait and see how we do versus for the dubs and then we can really judge. Meath got an overflated opinion of themselves because they got a a decent run of results in div 2. There is one true measure in intercounty GAA about where you are and that is how you measure up against the Dublin's, the Kerrys and the Mayos. The teams that have done it year in year out this entire decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

SFC Winners Section:

Leixlip v Moorefield
    Sarsfields v Celbridge
    Naas v Johnstownbridge
    Athy v Clane

SFC Losers Section:

Eadestown v Confey
    Carbury v Maynooth
    Allenwood v Castledermot
    St. Laurences v Round Towers

IFC Winners Section:

Nurney v Clogherinkoe
    Raheens v Kilcock
    Rathangan v St. Kevins
    Ballyteague v Suncroft

IFC Losers Section:

Castlemitchell v Sallins
    Ellistown v Monasterevan
    Kill v Kilcullen
    Straffan v Two Mile House

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Whats going to be the plan v dublin? Defensive or toe to toe? At this point id just like to see progress from previous years. Interesting to see what actually happens....

• Advertisement

kencoo wrote: »
    Whats going to be the plan v dublin? Defensive or toe to toe? At this point id just like to see progress from previous years. Interesting to see what actually happens....

toe to toe... defensive football is utter ****e to watch... have a go at Dublin, why not we have nothing to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

2 Leinster finals (both lost) in 15 years, 17 years since a Leinster win, 2 leinster titles in 61 years.

Really is mental if you think about it.

2 Leinster finals (both lost) in 15 years, 17 years since a Leinster win, 2 leinster titles in 61 years.

depressing stuff really. and with Dublin so dominant looks hard to even dream :(

It's depressing considering we have won ten Leinster under 21 titles since 1964 (Dublin have only overtaken us in the roll of honour in recent years with fourteen).

We have always had plenty of good footballers. The generation who played in the 70s like Pat Dunney, Pat Mangan, Tommy Carew, Jack Donnelly and Ollie Crinnigan won three Leinster under 21 titles in a row and won the All Ireland in 1965. It never happened for them at senior level. The 1980s were bleak although there has always a sense of what might have been about the late 80s had we held onto Tompkins and Fahy. Micko got us off the canvas in the 90s. Apart from maybe two or three years, the 00s have not been pleasant viewing.

Leinster U17FC Rd 1:

Carlow 1-10 Kildare 2-12

Five of the minor team are part of the U17 panel but were not togged out tonight. Minors play Dublin in Newbridge next Wednesday in the Leinster semi final. U17s are now in the hat for the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

They are definitely for the taken and it be great for a team to come under the radar to knock them off their high stool.
    Hopefully we can put a good game up to whoever we play

Ah yeah we're there for the taking alright, I'm sure Westmeath thought the very same. See you on the 16th lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

EICVD wrote: »
    Long may it continue

Thought there was a media ban from you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Heard Cian ONeill give a talk and he said this was the exact mentality he was trying to erase from Kildare. The constant looking backwards to 00 and 98 and previous generations. Hope it works and this bunch of players can make a name for themselves in their own right

Ah yeah we're there for the taking alright, I'm sure Westmeath thought the very same. See you on the 16th lads
    lol. sexual frustration is a terrible thing, gets people all jumpy and aggressive and argumentative.

just remember we have nothing to lose, I'm just really happy we are playing positively and its great to be in a leinster final....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

No they didn't. Media man Cribben all but conceded defeat in about ten interviews he done in the fortnight before the game.

Westmeath clearly are an inferior team to Kildare. Dublin aren't there for the taking but that doesn't mean it is in anyway beyond possibility we will put it up to them.

I believe the team will give a good account of themselves but as supporters, we have to be realistic. Between league and championship this year, Kildare have beaten Meath, Cork, Fermanagh, Down, Clare, Laois and Meath again. This is a giant step up in class. Given the age profile of the Kildare panel, this match is as much about the next few years as it is about 2017. A heavy loss could set them back a bit.

I believe the team will give a good account of themselves but as supporters, we have to be realistic. Between league and championship this year, Kildare have beaten Meath, Cork, Fermanagh, Down, Clare, Laois and Meath again. This is a giant step up in class. Given the age profile of the Kildare panel, this match is as much about the next few years as it is about 2017. A heavy loss could set them back a bit.
    nobody expects to beat Dublin.. only the delusional fans will truly expect that. I'm just delighted we are in a leinster final.. great to see our lads playing good attacking football.

even if they do take a beating no harm looking to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Haven't played a game with and matched the level of intensity the Dubs bring. The final v Galway was such a slow game. If they revert to that style of slow play and breakouts it will be trouble. Meath brought a bit of intensity but not much, playing in the heat was more benefit.

How we handle our own kickouts (there will be plenty) and prevent Dubs from disrupting ours is key. I wonder will we go for a lot of medium ranged kick outs to try and win marks.

Crucial we always keep two at full forward and attack aggressively.

Haven Hire SHC Preliminary Round Results:

Ardclough 1-14 Éire Óg/CC 2-8
    Celbridge 0-21 Confey 0-7
    Clane 2-13 Coill Dubh 0-14
    Naas 2-22 Leixlip 0-13

Haven Hire SHC Preliminary Round Results:

Ardclough 1-14 Éire Óg/CC 2-8
    Celbridge 0-21 Confey 0-7
    Clane 2-13 Coill Dubh 0-14
    Naas 2-22 Leixlip 0-13
    delighted to see ardclough getting past eire og.. my aunt a local woman to ardclough and a big follower was buried on Saturday and she would have been thrilled to see ardclough progress.

heard it was a rough encounter and martin fitzgerald of ardclough needed 14 or more stitches head injury through a helmet I heard aswell..

DD9PKE-XUAEKFlP.jpg

Leinster MFC Semi Final:

Kildare 0-14 Dublin 1-16

Decent Kildare performance but no arguments about the result in the end. This team never looked as strong as the previous two at minor level but they can hold their heads up. They kept going till the end tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Home to Wexford next Wednesday evening in under 17s quarter final

• Advertisement

Mark Dempsey (Moorefield) and Jimmy Hyland (Ballyteague) added to the Kildare senior football panel as "development players."

Advertisement