Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Cribbin and McCormack replace Moolick and McNally

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Either my stream skipped a bit, or that was a lovely dummy handwork there by Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Bit of 2 steps forward and one step backwards this year I'm thinking. Really taught we would of stood up to the charge of Armagh but no..
    Fair play to Kieran mcgeeny he had his homework done very well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Game was there for us but we hadn't the composure to push on and win it. Familiar feeling following Kildare unfortunately. This team need to stay up in the Division 1 next year and learn how to win ugly.

Game was there for us but we hadn't the composure to push on and win it. Familiar feeling following Kildare unfortunately. This team need to stay up in the Division 1 next year and learn how to win ugly.

I know look at mayo this year they are doing that over and over again. I really believed we had turned the corner but no, it's the same old kildare... let's get the club championship out of the way early and get these lads to gel again

• Advertisement

Backs were seriously disjointed without Doyle to organise. Strange subs too can't see what Callaghan could offer over Niall Kelly or Moolick over Flynn

paulie21 wrote: »
    Backs were seriously disjointed without Doyle to organise. Strange subs too can't see what Callaghan could offer over Niall Kelly or Moolick over Flynn

Totally agree. Yet ya hear the doctor on kfm that he has the biggest panel kildare ever have had and everyone of them are looking for a place. Yet he keeps the same 22 or 23.
    Maybe his game plan is different to my game plan. But these lads have nothing to offer within this young team...
    We've learned a lot this year and one of the biggest things we learned is that we are not killers of a game. Klariondavis is right going into division 1 we are gonna need to learn quickly how to win ugly of be left behind and Callaghan or Bolton won't teach you that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aye. What's a mid 30's guy going to bring to the game, that a young lad isn't. But at the end of the day, Eamonn wasn't the problem.

To be fair to Leper, even now in the twilight of his career he is generally composed on the ball and uses it well. I can see the thinking behind bringing him in because we have so many players who seem to lack composure when games are there to be won. If that was his last outing for Kildare he deserves credit. There won't be many more footballers who last at inter-county level for 15 seasons.

beertons wrote: »
    Aye. What's a mid 30's gut going to bring to the game, that a young lad isn't. But at the end of the day, EAmonn wasn't the problem.

I get the having some experience within the team thing but they are no leaders..

I think doyle has been a good captain and
    Looking at Mark donnlean this year and I like the way he orchestrated the lads from the back.
    especially during the meath and laois match was flawless he could be a captain next year.

But still not gonna bring us on to the ruthless level that will be needed.
    Would it a bad statement to ask if anyone wonder if Glen Ryan would be an addition of the back room staff??

• Advertisement

To be fair to Leper, even now in the twilight of his career he is generally composed on the ball and uses it well. I can see the thinking behind bringing him in because we have so many players who seem to lack composure when games are there to be won. If that was his last outing for Kildare he deserves credit. There won't be many more footballers who last at inter-county level for 15 seasons.

Again your right!!!! I just like finding the fault lines...
    But if he was playing in Kerry or dublin he would of dropped years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I guess the thinking was Leper delivered the long pass for Brophy's goal against Dublin and that Moolick has been great at getting into the goal scoring position. We needed a goal at that stage.

Leaving one man Clarke when he should have had a sweeper in front of him at all times was crazy. Doesn't happen up North. Armagh sorted Flynn and Feely plus had Clarke on fire. That was the difference.

In addition, a lot of guys who performed well the last day were just flat.

Clarke was pretty smart in his play. The amount of times he bent over, hands on knees to look goosed. Defender would move a few yards off him and start ball watching or moving to the play. Boom, he was gone and on the ball setting up the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very disappointing yesterday. The defense is just too easy to slice through.

Thought Conway had a very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The mind boggles what this team will have to do to get support.

I've never been at a Kildare match where we've outnumbered the opposition, including several matches in Croker against teams from each corner of the country. It's a disgrace, ffs no one in Kildare is more than an hour from Dublin. Fans are so important, there was polite applause yesterday for our scores, roars for Armagh, so outnumbered it wasn't funny. We played muck, but going one point up in the second when we got several points on the trot, I really think having a majority crowd with us would have spurred the lads on and not the fragile non-ruthless last 15 we saw.

The noise at the final whistle yesterday was louder than I've heard bigger crowds make.

Support is crucial and the team can't get any of it.

Hope next year the county wakes up and starts supporting. We've a good team on our hands, just need more ruthlessness and big game exposure, as per the div.2 final, this young team when the pressure is on do not perform. More games will help fix that.

Next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

John.Icy wrote: »
    The noise at the final whistle yesterday was louder than I've heard bigger crowds make.

well you know the old joke about Armagh being like a bad bra, all support and no cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well you know the old joke about Armagh being like a bad bra, all support and no cup.

a fairly scary bra at that , bit of a maye young job more then anything else !!! ......as far as bra's are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I haven't looked at the match again but from memory three things disappointed me from the performance.
    -It was obvious from relatively early that Clarke was on fire and Ollie Lyons was struggling with him. A change should have been made (I presume that there is a strong man marker on the panel)
    -Armagh were winning all of their kick outs but we didn't adapt at all or try to put more pressure on them, especially in the last 10 minutes when we were chasing the game.
    -With 5 minutes to go (and with the expectation of 3-4 minutes added time) we were only 3 points down and we were trying to force a goal, without ever looking like scoring one. We had opportunities to go for points in this period but didn't.

To summarise: we were slow to react to events on the field and lacked composure in the closing stages.

However what we shouldn't forget is that we had two shots come back of the upright and Armagh had two go over after hitting the upright. So we were the width of the post from going down the straight in a drawing position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

No one person can man mark a player of Clarke's quality when he is given space. Kildare tried 3. You have to drop the sweeper in front of him.

The difference between how Armagh, Down and Monaghan backs "treated" their men is huge. Monaghan made the same mistake against Harrison but sorted it at half time as Sunday Game showed. You won't see Clarke against Tyrone. He will be under a heap of white jerseys.

On Armagh's kickouts, Sunday Game highlighted the quality performance of the keeper.

Club championship to resume on 11/12/13 and 18/19/20 August. League finals to be played on Sunday 13th August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

God they missed Doyle.
    That central area was like the red sea at times. short kick passes by Armagh to the FF line and if anything it seemed some of the Kildare players were running away from the ball. It happened against Meath at times also early in second half and we all know about Dublin's blitzkrieg in first 25 minutes. It is a defence that lacks that bit of confidence and even, casting aside the awful wide count (Armagh missed enough themselves also) that, in my opinion was the losing of the game.

A better backs coach and training sessions focused solely on this aspect as well as, please god, one or two more upcoming defenders and this team won't be losing games like these next year, even allowing for an off day by players in forward line.

• Advertisement

The Joe Mallon Motors Renault Senior Football Championship, The Courtyard Hotel Leixlip Intermediate Football Championship and the Tom Cross Junior Football Championship recommences next weekend Friday 11th August. The draft fixtures are as follows:

Friday 11 August 2017

The Court Yard Hotel Leixlip 2017 Intermediate Football Championship
    Venue: Hawkfield, Ellistown v Monasterevan, 19:30

Saturday 12 August 2017

Tom Cross 2017 Junior Football Championship
    Venue: Hawkfield, Caragh v Ballykelly, 14:00
    Venue: Hawkfield, Rathcoffey v Rheban, 15:30

Venue: Newbridge, Castlemitchell v Sallins, 17:00
    Venue: Newbridge, Kill v Kilcullen , 18:45

Sunday 13 August 2017

Venue: Hawkfield, Nurney v Clogherinkoe , 17:00
    Venue: Hawkfield, Ballyteague v Suncroft, 18:30

Friday 18 August 2017

Venue: Hawkfield, Ballymore Eustace v Milltown, 19:30
    Venue: Newbridge, Robertstown v Grangenolvin, 19:30

Saturday 19 August 2017

Venue: Hawkfield, Rheban v Caragh, 13:30
    Venue: Newbridge, Cappagh v Rathcoffey, 13:30

Venue: Hawkfield, Raheens v Kilcock, 15:00
    Venue: Hawkfield, Two Mile House v Straffan, 16:30

Joe Mallon Motors Renault 2017 Senior Football Championship
    Venue: Newbridge, Celbridge v Sarsfields, 17:15
    Venue: Newbridge, Clane v Athy, 19:00
    Venue: Clane, Confey v Eadestown, 14:00,
    Venue: Clane, Carbury v Maynooth, 15:30

Sunday 20 August 2017

Venue: Hawkfield, Rathangan v St Kevin’s, 13:30

Joe Mallon Motors Renault 2017 Senior Football Championship
    Venue: Hawkfield, Allenwood v Castledermot, 15:00
    Venue: Newbridge, St.Laurence’s v Round Towers, 12:00
    Venue: Newbridge, Naas v Johnstownbridge, 17:15
    Venue: Newbridge, Moorefield v Leixlip , 19:00

Could we see the possibility of home games been moved to Portlaoise while the redevelopment is ongoing?

paulie21 wrote: »
    Could we see the possibility of home games been moved to Portlaoise while the redevelopment is ongoing?

Not in 2018 anyway.

Courtyard Hotel Leixlip IFC Rd 2:

Monasterevan 1-10 Ellistown 0-10

All Ireland Minor B HC Quarter Final:

Kildare 1-14 Kerry 1-12

Courtyard Hotel Leixlip IFC Rd 2:

Kill 3-10 Kilcullen 1-11

:D