Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Moorfield very poor today. Seemed very nervous in the first half. Eanna O Conner who is usually a prolific scorer seemed to pass the ball back out to his brother in midfield. Badly caught out for the Corafin goal, where was the extra man in defence. Darrell Flynn a big loss as the Moors completely outplayed in midfield. Can't understand why they bring Roly to midfield for the throw in, if your midfielders aren't good enough to win a throw in they shouldn't be there in the first place. Overall the Moors will be pleased with their year when the disappointment of this game fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

DWv098RWsAYka0I.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I personal dont think eoin doyle is captain material.
    And I'm not going by the backwards kick the last day but that was when he should of showed leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

Think Eoin is the best leader we have? Who would you suggest? Conway should be playing Half Back rather than Half forward..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Although relegation seems likely - think we are still in with a small chance if we can get a win tomorrow. Mayo aren't anywhere near up to speed and we could possibly take them in a tight match. Then we'd have to beat Galway - who are doing very well but we'd have more of a chance of beating Galway than Kerry I'd imagine.

How does the league work on level points? Points difference or head to head? A win tomorrow and a scenario where Donegal and Tyrone lose all their remaining games isn't out of the question so we'd have Donegal on 0 and Kildare/Tyrone both on 2 points.

Nevertheless, it's such a shame we left behind two draws in the last two games - nevermind two wins which we definitely could have came away with. Probably would do no harm for the young developing team to be back in Division 2, rack up a few wins and get used to putting teams to bed again before another stab at Division 1.

Bar Dublin - there's barely anything between the rest at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement

Keith Cribbin starts in place of Paddy Brophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Eoin Doyle sent off for not wearing a gumshield. Couldn’t make it up

NFL Division 1:

Donegal 0-5 Kildare 1-3 (HT)

Stiff breeze behind us in that first half. Up against it now down to 14 men. We should be further ahead.

NFL Division 1:

Donegal 0-5 Kildare 1-3 (HT)

Stiff breeze behind us in that first half. Up against it now down to 14 men. We should be further ahead.

Why was Doyle sent off? I couldn't see anything up

Why was Doyle sent off? I couldn't see anything up

He got a yellow card earlier for a tackle. He got 2nd for not wearing gumshield but ref forgot to send him off so went back to it. Seriously a warning would have sufficed but Gough loves to be centre of attention

• Advertisement

NFL Division 1:

Donegal 1-15 Kildare 3-7

Plenty of fight from Kildare which was good to see. Very annoying to suffer such a stupid sending off and give away a really poor goal. Division 2 football next season.

All over

DL 1-15
    KE 3-7

Another one left behind by the sound of things

If we didn't have the sending off so early on the first half. We had to chase the game from then on as we know what donegal are capable off.
    Very soft goal to give away.. It wasn't marks best game for kildare today.
    Plenty of fight in us all the same. Would love for them just to get a win over any division 1 team. We aren't far off them in fairness..
    Back to newbridge now!

Yeah dissapointing to lose but have to be heartened by the fight shown playing with 14 for so long. The game was ours I say 15 on 15 - but you never know. By the sounds it scores left behind again with drop shorts and over complicating things. Mad how much you're still hearing about kildare taking possession into the tackle? An ego issue with some of the bigger lads perhaps thinking they can walk through walls.

A real shame anyway - a win today and I say we may have snuck either one more win or a draw. Incredibly close stuff these early days of the year - either team in most of the matches could have won, table could have been very different.

Looking forward to Mayo next week. Hopefully the snow clears up and it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Ball into tackle is more likely a speed of thought issue than ego. That extra second of slowness in possession, processing what to do and player is surrounded.

Difference between Div.1 and 2.

All county and club games postponed this weekend

DX37qcGW0AMY-iX.jpg

I hope we can get a rub of the green tomorrow and beat mayo. We deserve to get something out of this campaign. Fingers crossed

Leinster Schools Senior Football Final:

Naas CBS 0-9 Marist Athlone 0-7

An absolute disgrace to be in Newbridge today, at a home match, with the crowd made up of at least 90% Mayo supporters. Shocking - we have the worst fan base in the country.

Dreadful. Feel for the players and the lack of support they have even at home.

• Advertisement

It was a case of men versus boys today. Mayo dictated the game and we fell for them..
    I dunno I think Management are feeling the pressure of division one and just a bit clueless with it all..

I wonder if the geezer was in charge of this campaign how many points We'd have on the board now..... more than zero I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Mayo support travels because, in order to be sure of an All Ireland Final ticket, they must purchase a season ticket and attend 7/80% of the games. So, any Mayo person living in the East was at today's game instead of travelling to Donegal or such. Inside information for you there! And it was more like 50/50.

The team doesn't get a great following because they have a reputation for collapsing built over years. If they had a reputation for going to the wire with intensity, they would get the support. The players have to earn it back. Life is pretty busy to make 3/4 hours of your day to support a team.

Perspective. A year ago, we had two teams that ran Galway to within 2 points in a short space of time. How wide is the gap now?

DYcASP_XUAEK4ZF.jpg

Poor enough performance again. Glimpses of what we can do but we keep having these massive lapses where we concede and get no where near getting scores.

Lots of kicking practice to do. Wides crippling again, several easy chances again missed.

Daniel Flynn is one of the best forwards in the country. A super star in the making - hopefully the team can improve in general because he can't carry us!

That yellow for Hyland for being clattered by Clifford - replays showed Hyland doing absolutely nothing?? Some of the refereeing towards Kildare is shocking. Niall Kelly yellow also for being pinned down on the ground with digs going in on him by Kerry lads? Black cards were spot on but those yellows were nonsense.

TBH while we have improved since O'Neill came in I just don't think he's the man for the job. Tactically Kildare are found lacking regularly. There is a very good group in the county now and 10 losses in a row should not be happening.

Without Flynn that would have been a tanking. Confidence of the rest of them looks on the floor.

Kildare team to play Galway @ 3pm Sunday 25th March

1.M Donnellan 2 P Kelly 3.D Hyland 4.M Hyland 5.J Byrne 6 E Doyle 7.K Flynn 8 K Feely 9 T Moolick 10 F Conway 11 K Cribbin 12 P Cribbin 13 J Hyland 14 D Flynn 15 P Brophy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Club Football Championship Draws:

Senior:
    Athy v Maynooth
    Naas v Round Towers
    Raheens v Sarsfields
    Moorefield v Carbury
    Confey v Johnstownbridge
    Leixlip v Eadestown
    Clane v St. Laurences
    Celbridge v Castledermot

Intermediate:
    St. Kevin's v Ellistown
    Clogherinkoe v Kill
    Allenwood v Rathangan
    Ballyteague v Kilcock
    Monasterevan v Ballymore
    Kilcullen v Straffan
    Sallins v Suncroft
    Nurney v Two Mile House

Junior:
    Group 1 - Caragh, Rathcoffey, Milltown, Grangenolvan, Rheban
    Group 2 - Castlemitchell, Ballykelly, Cappagh, Robertstown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just came in to say that I had the pleasure of meeting and having a chat with John Doyle yesterday. What a humble, well rounded individual. He carries himself as well off of the field as he did on it. A credit to the GAA in general and Allenwood and Kildare in particular.

Kildare SF championship panel announced. Eoin Powderly and Ben McCormack drop off due to work and college commitments. The Moorefield trio of Mark Dempsey, James Murray and Éanna O'Connor called up.

Mark Donnellan, Maynooth
    Aaron O'Neill, Carbury
    Peter Kelly, Two Mile House
    David Hyland, Athy
    Mark Hyland, Athy
    Mick O'Grady, Celbridge
    Mark Dempsey, Moorefield
    Eoin Doyle, Naas
    Keith Cribbin, Johnstownbridge
    Johnny Byrne, Allenwood
    Cian O’Donoghue, Clane
    Daniel Courtney, Kilcock
    Kevin Flynn, Celbridge
    James Murray, Moorefield
    Kevin Feely, Athy
    Tommy Moolick, Leixlip
    Fionn Dowling, Suncroft
    Paschal Connell, Athy
    Luke Flynn, Johnstownbridge
    David Slattery, Confey
    Fergal Conway, Celbridge
    Paul Cribbin, Johnstownbridge
    Niall Kelly, Athy
    Ruadhán Ó Giolláin, Maynooth
    Mark Sherry, Two Mile House
    Paddy Brophy, Celbridge
    Daniel Flynn, Johnstownbridge
    Neil Flynn, Maynooth
    Chris Healy, Two Mile House
    Cathal McNally, Johnstownbridge
    Jimmy Hyland, Ballyteague
    Éamonn Callaghan, Naas
    Éanna O'Connor, Moorefield

• Advertisement

The most pointless round of championship fixtures ever throws in tomorrow. Silly new format.

Minor team for Monday's game against Wexford has also been named:

DcTERGDW0AECZnT.jpg

Advertisement