Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Is it true that the Kildare County Board originally agreed to the fixture in Croke Park? That is what I was told. If true, Kildare have no right to complain, seems like a combination of twitter misplaced outrage and a manager trying to create a siege mentality.

I haven't seen that stated anywhere. The GAA statement made mention of Portlaoise and Navan, if Kildare had agreed to CP the GAA would be making that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Gosh, I don't know. I'd nearly have to be as clever as you to grasp such convoluted theory.

In the meantime what's wrong with letting everybody who wants to see the game do so in some comfort in Croke Park?

Sporting equality. Or even equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

irishgeo wrote: »
    Mayo have 3500 season tickets. Both season tickets lists are full.
    1500 @ 25 a head. Not to mention the day trippers and dublin based mayo fans. That's a lot of money.

It should not be about money.

For years the Leinster Council voted to move Dublin away games to Croke Park for financial reasons. nothing to do with Dublin. Then some of same characters would go home and whinge about Dublin being given advantage when they had voted for it! Sad day if an extra few 100k or whatever is the criteria for where games are played.

So fair play to Cian O'Neill for standing his ground. Haven't seen any Mayo people being other than supportive of Kildare's stance. They don't mind where they play. Be interesting meeting in Croker tomorrow night I'd say!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It should not be about money.

For years the Leinster Council voted to move Dublin away games to Croke Park for financial reasons. nothing to do with Dublin. Then some of same characters would go home and whinge about Dublin being given advantage when they had voted for it! Sad day if an extra few 100k or whatever is the criteria for where games are played.

So fair play to Cian O'Neill for standing his ground. Haven't seen any Mayo people being other than supportive of Kildare's stance. They don't mind where they play. Be interesting meeting in Croker tomorrow night I'd say!

I thought Dublin were on the Leinster Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

DONTMATTER wrote: »

1 vote out of 12

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    1 vote out of 12

Oh! So it had something to do with Dublin then, unless they voted to move Dublin out of Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

One vote! Abstained on vote to change venue on several occasions in fact. Couldn't care less where they play.

Anyway, despite your greatest efforts this has nothing to do with Dublin, nor Mayo for that matter. These decisions are taken by the suits without any reference to those involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

howiya wrote: »
    1 vote out of 12

Oh! So it had something to do with Dublin then, unless they voted to move Dublin out of Croke Park?

Will you ever f*cking give up on the clear trolling. You are being purposefully provocative. You know well what you are at. 24 hours a day.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    One vote! Abstained on vote to change venue on several occasions in fact. Couldn't care less where they play.

Anyway, despite your greatest efforts this has nothing to do with Dublin, nor Mayo for that matter. These decisions are taken by the suits without any reference to those involved.

I was just correcting your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭yew_tree

irishgeo wrote: »
    Mayo have 3500 season tickets. Both season tickets lists are full.
    1500 @ 25 a head. Not to mention the day trippers and dublin based mayo fans. That's a lot of money.

That figure is misleading as it refers to the GAA season ticket only. When you add in Chairde Maigh Eo season ticket holders we actually have just over 5,000 season ticket holders.

I feel for Kildare though...Fair is fair and it should be a home draw but if both counties ticket holders can be fully accommodated would it be a bit of a joke to see a newbridge 90% Mayo fans? Just posing the quwstion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Donegaldub123

Ipetitions com have a petition going lads labelled kildare-says-no-to-croke-park.......about time GAA started to listen to the supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yew_tree wrote: »
    That figure is misleading as it refers to the GAA season ticket only. When you add in Chairde Maigh Eo season ticket holders we actually have just over 5,000 season ticket holders.

I feel for Kildare though...Fair is fair and it should be a home draw but if both counties ticket holders can be fully accommodated would it be a bit of a joke to see a newbridge 90% Mayo fans? Just posing the quwstion.
    ST holders don't have to be accommodated, no guarantee of a seat or entrance to a ground if the capacity doesn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭yew_tree

yabadabado wrote: »
    ST holders don't have to be accommodated, no guarantee of a seat or entrance to a ground if the capacity doesn't allow it.

So how do they decide who gets a ticket or not?

So how do they decide who gets a ticket or not?

I dont know but it wouldn't be a big job.
    Lottery,Best records,first come first served .

I'd start it with the people who have the best records and see did that sort it .

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Could just deny most mayo season ticket holders a ticket. A season ticket is no guarantee of a match day ticket at smaller venues, as per the terms written by the GAA, not Kildare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Could just deny most mayo season ticket holders a ticket. A season ticket is no guarantee of a match day ticket at smaller venues, as per the terms written by the GAA, not Kildare!

Yeah but I'd imagine season tickets holder would get priority on a first come first served basis. Any idea of how many season tickets holders Kildare have?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I still don't understand what has happen to the ground in newbridge since the league ended where it held three games but now in June it's not suitable to host a game. I mean the capacity is the capacity and the gaa would know what it is and Kildare came out first and unless there has been a huge issue with the ground in the three months since the league games then the gaa need to say it and stop pussy footing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really hope Kildare stand their ground on this and don't give in. Terrible decision to just take home advantage from a county. Seems to be more and more of this bully boy attitude in the GAA

No need to deny most Mayo ST holders a ticket.Between both schemes its approx. 5000.

If the capacity is 8500 give Mayo half that or whatever figure is deemed correct .4250 tickets may not be enough but give it to people based on their attendance records, see who has 100% and work backwards from there .If there are more people with 100% records than tickets then its a lottery or first come first served.

Be interesting to see how many people would actually have 100% attendance from the 10 games played this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

This is correct but St Conleths is big enough to accommodate the season ticket holders and as such would have to. No guarantee if the capacity of the ground is smaller than the number of season tickets. This is not the case here! In this situation there would be no guarantee of a seated/stand ticket as there are insufficient seats. But season ticket holders would have to get tickets. However you could simply give mayo their season ticket quota and no more and no rules would be broken.

• Advertisement

Season Ticket holders don't have to get tickets ,no guarantee of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

glack wrote: »
    This is correct but St Conleths is big enough to accommodate the season ticket holders and as such would have to.

Away season ticket holders would not have to get seats. Whats stopping Dublin from selling 30,000 season tickets? You can't just sell as many as you want and expect to get priority over other counties home fans. I'd certainly have a lot of sympathy for Mayo fans but tough luck I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

I hope Kildare stand their ground on this issue. Set a precedent and other counties will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I still don't understand what has happen to the ground in newbridge since the league ended where it held three games but now in June it's not suitable to host a game. I mean the capacity is the capacity and the gaa would know what it is and Kildare came out first and unless there has been a huge issue with the ground in the three months since the league games then the gaa need to say it and stop pussy footing around.

I don't understand why the fact that League games were held there is such a sticking point with some people. All-ticket games with bigger anticipated crowds is inevitably a different situation.

Walsh Park, Waterford, holds League games every year and was not deemed fit for purpose for Munster championship games this year yet Waterford accepted this and played their games elsewhere and got on with it.

I don't quite get the "the capacity is the capacity" argument either. If that held water these games could be held at club grounds with a couple of hundred watching from behind the perimeter cord round the pitch. But that would fly in the face of the idea that part of the whole idea of the championship is that people get to go in large numbers and support their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Waterford lost one home game in Semple and drew the other in Limerick, not exactly 'getting on with it'. The predominant feeling within the county is that we should have stood up to the GAA and insisted the games be played in Walsh park or Nowlan park. It's not a home game when the opposition have less distance to travel to the venue.

puzl wrote: »
    I hope Kildare stand their ground on this issue. Set a precedent and other counties will follow.

What about the precedent Cavan set? Where they declined the offer of nominating an alternative venue and instead decided to go to Croke Park? What county in their right mind would follow the precedent of not actually playing the game and being kicked out of the championship? Kildare will quickly realise that while "the revolution" will always attract short-term support when the chips are down they will be isolated, their fate will be decided for them, and other counties in the future will in fact take note and not clone Kildare's self-destruct tendencies.

puzl wrote: »
    Waterford lost one home game in Semple and drew the other in Limerick, not exactly 'getting on with it'. The predominant feeling within the county is that we should have stood up to the GAA and insisted the games be played in Walsh park or Nowlan park. It's not a home game when the opposition have less distance to travel to the venue.

is this about results? I thought it was a ideological issue about home venue and "fair play". At any rate who said results were guaranteed? Tipperary won no game either despite having two home games. Cork won only one of their two. Offaly won neither of theirs. Dublin won only one as did Wexford. What did Waterford want - to be handed the cup in advance?

And as far as I was aware Nowlan Park is an away ground for Waterford too. Not sure it's a powerful argument to point to that really. They have played in Semple Stadium far more often and in fact chose it as the venue for the Munster final a few years ago when they played Tipperary so comfortable were they in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

GAA Sean Tickets Ts&Cs;

http://res.cloudinary.com/dvrbaruzq/image/upload/n41v8cx9qyjspnnkbroc.pdf
    42. In the event that the number of Season Ticket holders exceeds stadium capacity the GAA offers no guarantee of the availability of seats or entry to that fixture.

As the capacity does not exceed the number of Season Ticket holders in this case, they should all get access to the game if it is in Newbridge. A lot of people bleeting on about needing to follow the rules as regards first name out gets home advantage, season ticket rules have to equally apply. Season ticket holders have to be accommodated or else the scheme will collapse. If this means more Mayo fans in Newbridge than Kildare than so be it, Kildare will have brought that situation on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 packiec50

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    GAA Sean Tickets Ts&Cs;

http://res.cloudinary.com/dvrbaruzq/image/upload/n41v8cx9qyjspnnkbroc.pdf

As the capacity does not exceed the number of Season Ticket holders in this case, they should all get access to the game if it is in Newbridge. A lot of people bleeting on about needing to follow the rules as regards first name out gets home advantage, season ticket rules have to equally apply. Season ticket holders have to be accommodated or else the scheme will collapse. If this means more Mayo fans in Newbridge than Kildare than so be it, Kildare will have brought that situation on themselves.

Isn't it 3500 season ticket holders. The other 1500 are cairde maigh eo members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

redlead wrote: »
    Away season ticket holders would not have to get seats. Whats stopping Dublin from selling 30,000 season tickets? You can't just sell as many as you want and expect to get priority over other counties home fans. I'd certainly have a lot of sympathy for Mayo fans but tough luck I guess.

Mayo haven't sold as many as they want to. There are far less season tickets in Mayo than in Dublin. Mayo have limited the amount of Cairdre tickets they have put up for sale. The season ticket scheme guarantees a ticket unless the capacity is insufficient - that is not the case here. I'll quite happily stand in the terrace like I did for the league!

Advertisement