Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cian has stepped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Probably the right thing to do, time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Didnt realise he was there for that long. Would yee think Glen Ryan would be give a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

snowgal wrote: »
    Didnt realise he was there for that long. Would yee think Glen Ryan would be give a shot?

WOuld love to see either Malachy O Rourke or be a bit ambitious and go for Stephen Rochford. If it was to be a Kildare man Ross Glavin has done enough to deserve a try - he's certainly done more than O' Neil had ever done from a management point of view.

I think we're an attractive job,m we've the makings of a good team. I prsume a new manager would see Daniel Flynn back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jack O’Connor with Davy Burke as selector would be my choice

• Advertisement

Pity he didn't take the county board with him.

Does anyone know his stats breakdown, against McGeeney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

paulie21 wrote: »
    Jack O’Connor with Davy Burke as selector would be my choice

Would be great to see, Jack was a rumour before and i got fierce excited. Can't see Burke going in as a sleector but i'd be happy with a man like O' Connor picking his own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Surely Glen Ryan with Davy Burke as selector or assitant to take over in the future would be ideal men for the job. Glen was a real warrior of a player , was the leader on 98 00 team, great leader . He was a proper warrior and one of my favourite players of 90s. He did a very good job with longford and won under 21 leinster with kildare and brought them to an U21 All Ireland final. Davy Burke won leinster under 20 and All Ireland title last year. Burke is young so the idea of making Glen Ryan manager with Burke involved seems the obvious choice. Like Paudi O Se was kerry manager and Jack O Connor selector and O Connor became manager in the future.

With two strong candidates as Ryan and Burke and even Ross Glalvin why would kildare go outside the county? And if u added Johnny Doyle , Dermot Earley as selectors also well it would be an excellent backroom team. Kildare have allot of good options Glen Ryan as manager with Davy Burke assitant or Ross Glalvin as assitant and Selectors Johnny Doyle Dermot Earley even Niall Carew McGeeneys ex selector and former Sligo manager, a third selector. kildare have allot of options inside the county. In Meath if McEntee leaves we have feck all choices , other then Colm O Rourke and that ship has sailed along time ago. I always thought when O Neill left kildare had a couple of real good choices from inside the county.
    Thats just a thought from someone outside the county. kildare lads on this forum would have a better knowledge of kildare football then me, but I would have thought Ryan was the perfect candidate being ex great player , greatest kildare captain ever , intercounty experience with longford and underage managerial sucess with kildare under 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I'd like to wish Cian O'Neill all the best. We were in dire straits when he took over. Relegated to Division 3 and getting an absolute tanking in an All Ireland quarter final. He steadied the ship and got us moving in the right direction again. We are not exactly flying high at the moment but we are definitely in better shape than we were in 2015. He openly admits in his statement that he failed to achieve everything he wanted but I don't think he has sole responsibility for that. Mistakes were made for sure but he always took it on the chin and represented the county well.

The next man in will have to get everyone on board and target promotion in 2020. It's difficult to make progress in Leinster with Dublin overshadowing the whole thing so getting to the top division (and staying there) has to be the goal. That will not be an easy task. Some areas of our team will need surgery and young players will need time to settle and build confidence (see J Hyland this year).

I'd like to see any combination of Glavin, Sweeney or Burke involved. It's widely known that Glenn and Ger Donnelly don't see eye to eye but a new Chairman will be in place before Kildare take to the field again. John Divilly might be considered if we go looking for someone from 'outside' the county. I'm not sure some of the higher profile names listed are realistic. It's not that attractive a job for outsiders anymore with the current situation in Leinster. The Kildare support don't do honeymoon periods either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Anyone know when the senior championship is starting? Kildare gaa website doesn't seem to be updated with the fixtures

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the senior championship is starting? Kildare gaa website doesn't seem to be updated with the fixtures

Thu 08 Aug
    Tom Cross Junior Football Championship Section A
    in Newbridge, Grangenolvin V Caragh 7.30
    In Manguard Plus, Hawkfield Pitch 1, Ballymore Eustace V Ardclough 7.30

Fri 09 Aug
    Junior Section B
    In Newbridge, Robertstown V Cappagh 7.30
    In Hawkfield Pitch 1, Rathcoffey V Rheban 7.30

Sat 10 Aug
    Joe Mallon Renault Senior Football Championship: 3 games in Newbridge
    Group 2 Castledermot V Naas 2pm

Group 4
    Johnstownbridge V Clane 3:45
    Athy V Round Towers 5:30

4 games in Manguard Plus, Hawkfield Pitch 1
    Intermediate
    Group 1 Ellistown V Rathangan 14:00
    Group 4 Kilcock V Ballyteague 15:30,

Senior Group 1 Eadestown V Two Mile House 5:00,

Intermediate Group 3 Allenwood V Sallins 6:30,

Sun 11 Aug
    Joe Mallon Renault Senior Football Championship: 3 games in Newbridge
    Group 3 Celbridge V Raheens 2:00
    Group 2 St. Laurence's V Maynooth 3:45
    Group 1 Moorefield V Sarsfields 5:30

Pittman Traffic Intermediate Football Championship: 2 games in Clane
    Group 1 St Kevin's V Clogherinkoe 2:00
    Leixlip V Straffan 3:30

4 games in Manguard Plus, Hawkfield, Pitch 1
    Intermediate
    Group 2 Nurney V Kill 2:00
    Group 3 Suncroft V Milltown 15:30

Senior Group 3 Confey V Carbury 5:00

Intermediate Group 4 Monasterevan V Kilcullen 6:30

Rumour today is Jack O Connor to take the helm.

What ya think? Good move?

I'd be on for it. Last time we had a Kerry man, he didn't do too bad. Was there a while though. At least he has won a few things before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

beertons wrote: »
    Rumour today is Jack O Connor to take the helm.

What ya think? Good move?

I'd be on for it. Last time we had a Kerry man, he didn't do too bad. Was there a while though. At least he has won a few things before.

once he doesnt try to start eanna ahead of our own home grown players. I dont think eanna is county standard

I refuse to read anything into speculation until Tommy Callaghan tweets it.

Was Clem talking to him about it earlier, or was he just talking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Tommy tweeted it Monday

Tommy tweeted it Monday

Confirms it I mean.

Jack O'Connor confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Excited to see what he can bring to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah really looking forward to seeing how he does should get 100% buy in anyway.

• Advertisement

Tom Cribbin expected to remain on as Kildare selector with Ross Glavin also joining Jack O'Connor's setup.

Senior football managerial ticket of Jack O'Connor, Ross Glavin and Tom Cribbin ratified by the county board tonight.

Outcome of grant applications for the redevelopment of St Conleth's Park expected in October or early November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Celbridge
    Moores
    Athy
    Sarsfields

Could have predicted that at the start of the year.

Athy v Moores final depending on the draw of course.

Moorefield look vulnerable this year. Clane had them in trouble for a while yesterday and Two Mile House pushed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

3 repeat pairings in senior and possibly 4 in Intermediate. Shambles of a system

Moorefield look vulnerable this year. Clane had them in trouble for a while yesterday and Two Mile House pushed them.

Has Glavin got them coasting? Ready to push into another gear. Or are they flat out. Saw them in league a bit but not champ so far.

3 repeat pairings in senior and possibly 4 in Intermediate. Shambles of a system

Its a joke. All about maximising games a revenue from Hawkfield / Conleths. No emphasis on quality. Lost 2 games you should be gone. Prelim round is a loada crap too.

Has Glavin got them coasting? Ready to push into another gear. Or are they flat out. Saw them in league a bit but not champ so far.

Maynooth the easiest draw they could have gotten but a semi-final against one of Sarsfields/Athy/Celbridge will be very interesting. All three going well. Sarsfields have already beaten them this summer. Athy have added a bit of steel with McCarron's addition. Celbridge have Kevin Flynn back and Conway is the form footballer in the county.

Quarter final draw is a bit underwhelming but the two semi finals should be crackers.

• Advertisement

Nonsense of a system. I think we are stuck with it for another year.

Advertisement