Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

There isn't a massive gulf in class Kildare didn't contest kickouts and were dead on feet no energy from anyone..

Football wise we need to change training that heavy training before matches takes it out of players..

Any training in days leading to big game should be basics/ skills training
    I disagree. I think Kildare had no answers and the players heads dropped because of it about 7 or 8 minutes into the second half.
    Yet again McGeeny has shown that he has no plan b when things aren't going Kildares way.
    I'd be worried by your full back lines inability to handle direct balls into Brogan aswell

Have there been reports of crazy training sessions in the last few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Dcully wrote: »
    Pity their fans on the hill couldnt show even a small bit of class, their treatment of Seanie Johnson wasnt the best.

Ah, usual hill 16 bashing. Maybe if Johnston wasn't still living and working in Cavan he might get a bit more respect. What a stroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

1 point in second half... Something needs to change training wise obvious Kildare have overtrained Jesus I'm raging...

How do you know this? I don't think this is a problem. It hasnt been a problem so far this year. Id be more inclined to think that our noticeable lack of midfielders along with a superior Dublin side to be the cause of this defeat. The amount of uncontested kick outs was ridiculous! Hughie Lynch should have had more game time before this but I don't think McGeeney believes in normal midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Pity their fans on the hill couldnt show even a small bit of class, their treatment of Seanie Johnson wasnt the best.

Was worse at the O'Byrne Cup, he'll always get short shrift for living and working Cavan and not just from fans on the Hill either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Was worse at the O'Byrne Cup, he'll always get short shrift for living and working Cavan and not just from fans on the Hill either.

Was he chanted at or banners or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The problems highlighted last week were ruthlessly exposed this week.

The baffling thing is that they don't appear to have been addressed at all by the management during the week. Conway was poor last week but he still started today with seemingly the exact same plan and was hauled off after the first quarter when it failed to work again. Our midfield is just not going to cut it against better teams and playing JD out there is not a solution, it never has been and it never will be. Seán Hurley should be called up immediately because he has the athleticism and mobility that is lacking in our senior midfielders.

A fairly depressing day compounded by the hurlers defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Why did McGeeney decide to play a blanket defence when Kildare had a gale force breeze at their backs in the first half. Bizarre, played into Dublins hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

There isn't a massive gulf in class Kildare didn't contest kickouts and were dead on feet no energy from anyone..

Football wise we need to change training that heavy training before matches takes it out of players..

Any training in days leading to big game should be basics/ skills training

I'm not for one second suggesting that today was an accurate representation of Kildare's level but it had nothing to do with fitness levels.

The superiority in basic skills and pace (i can't highlight this enough) was alarming. All across the middle third Dublin had naturally quicker players and some of the Kildare boys were just bystanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Lemlin wrote: »
    Was he chanted at or banners or what?

Chanted at, booed at. Didn't see any banners, and it was happening from all over the Cusack as well as the Hill too. A bit like Ciaran Donaghy for Kerry, and Connolly for the Dubs - the talisman of hatred to direct your jeering at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kildare big problem is with our keeper he won't kick wind out of a crisp bag.
    He's a problem and should be dropped same story year in year out with him id give o Sullivan from sarsfields a go.
    His kick outs at the start of the second half killed the game for the rest of the team against a very good Dublin team. I don't think we would of won the game today but the hammering we got has to be down to the kick outs.
    We played the same game as last week and we were lucky then but got caught out today.
    We looked like a 12 man team out there with nothing happening in midfield mcgeeny had no plan B which is wrong playing the top guns.
    Deflated is not the word but lets hope its just a glitch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Ah lads stop with trying to tar all us dubs with this brush, the booing at SJ, a chap who hasnt helped himself might I add....................some scum dublin fans lads I agree but ye have a shed load too, I had a kildare bafoon giving me double barrelled fingers at the end of the game ???????????

Anyways ye were right in it up until half time and then It seemed the legs went......................Ye would be better off with jason ryan as your manager at this rate .......................emmet bolton has decided hes a hard man now all of sudden, very lucky to stay on the park, he doesnt need to be like that hes a fine footballer .....

tbh lads i wouldnt read too much into it, see ye in the league semi or final

He's a problem and should be dropped same story year in year out with him id give o Sullivan from sarsfields a go.
    His kick outs at the start of the second half killed the game for the rest of the team against a very good Dublin team. I don't think we would of won the game today but the hammering we got has to be down to the kick outs.
    We played the same game as last week and we were lucky then but got caught out today.
    We looked like a 12 man team out there with nothing happening in midfield mcgeeny had no plan B which is wrong playing the top guns.

you keeper made some fine saves too, so he isnt all that bad............some of ure big name players need to look at themselves, are they there to play football or throw their weight around........hate to say it but JD doesnt have 70 mins in him..........................he had nothing in him in the second half.......................sure your hugh decided to applaud one of CK points, thought that was bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ah lads stop with trying to tar all us dubs with this brush, the booing at SJ, a chap who hasnt helped himself might I add....................some scum dublin fans lads I agree but ye have a shed load too, I had a kildare bafoon giving me double barrelled fingers at the end of the game ???????????

Anyways ye were right in it up until half time and then It seemed the legs went......................Ye would be better off with jason ryan as your manager at this rate .......................emmet bolton has decided hes a hard man now all of sudden, very lucky to stay on the park, he doesnt need to be like that hes a fine footballer .....

tbh lads i wouldnt read too much into it, see ye in the league semi or final

Seemed to have a very definite problem with Dermot Connolly. Wasn't the usual winding up either, he wanted a go!

corny wrote: »
    Seemed to have a very definite problem with Dermot Connolly. Wasn't the usual winding up either, he wanted a go!

yes indeed, bolton gave him two jabs, one to neck and chin...................

It's not Connolly's fault we cannot compete in the air at midfield. His kickouts are not up to scratch but he cannot shoulder all the blame. Daryl Flynn was warming up the Hogan sideline during the match so hopefully he will be back soon. Gary White is a far greater loss than was acknowledged at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Not being disrespectful here but I do not think Kildare have learned much from last year.It is all too early in the season to be making favourites for Sam etc but early indications are mixed for Kildare.They won a hard fought O Byrne Cup and had been taking the league very well beating who they had in front of them until today but their horrid display cannot be accrued to overtraining.If this was the case they wouldn't have gone this far without losing until today as I am sure McGeeney and Ryan have them well trained.

We are led to believe they are the fittest side in Ireland as alluded to by an earlier poster on here yet when the game came down to natural football ability,hunger and tactics, Kildare were found wantingForwards still seem to be a bit of an issue but midfieldwas absent for the second half. I counted 6 backs on Bernard Brogan at one stagewhile at other times he would beat 2-3 Kildare backs.I really think the open spaces of Croke Park really exposed Kildares weaknesses and perhaps they could be exposed again in the championshipif things are not worked on.

Bernard Brogan,Connolly and Kilkenny eally caused Kildare back line some serious problems.It was interesting to note that while Dublin were struggling in the forwards in the first half,our backs had the measure of the Kildare forwards.I think perhaps some new playersand a new manager would be no harm.I think Jason Ryan would be a good manager for Kildare as opposed to McGeeney as he has had a lot of years at the helm and also seems to have over-involvement in Kildare with the under 21s and goings onat county board level.

As for Seanie Johnston,well we could open up the debate and past threads about him but fact of the matter is that he does not have any business being there and should expect the criticism that comes his way.Whether Kildare fans like it or not, he is depriving a native Kildare footballer of his chance to play for his county while he lives and works in Cavan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

yes indeed, bolton gave him two jabs, one to neck and chin...................
    In fairness, it would be hard to miss that chin...

blackbelt wrote: »
    Not being disrespectful here but I do not think Kildare have learned much from last year.It is all too early in the season to be making favourites for Sam etc but early indications are mixed for Kildare.They won a hard fought O Byrne Cup and had been taking the league very well beating who they had in front of them until today but their horrid display cannot be accrued to overtraining.If this was the case they wouldn't have gone this far without losing until today as I am sure McGeeney and Ryan have them well trained.

We are led to believe they are the fittest side in Ireland as alluded to by an earlier poster on here yet when the game came down to natural football ability,hunger and tactics, Kildare were found wantingForwards still seem to be a bit of an issue but midfieldwas absent for the second half. I counted 6 backs on Bernard Brogan at one stagewhile at other times he would beat 2-3 Kildare backs.I really think the open spaces of Croke Park really exposed Kildares weaknesses and perhaps they could be exposed again in the championshipif things are not worked on.

Bernard Brogan,Connolly and Kilkenny eally caused Kildare back line some serious problems.It was interesting to note that while Dublin were struggling in the forwards in the first half,our backs had the measure of the Kildare forwards.I think perhaps some new playersand a new manager would be no harm.I think Jason Ryan would be a good manager for Kildare as opposed to McGeeney as he has had a lot of years at the helm and also seems to have over-involvement in Kildare with the under 21s and goings onat county board level.

As for Seanie Johnston,well we could open up the debate and past threads about him but fact of the matter is that he does not have any business being there and should expect the criticism that comes his way.Whether Kildare fans like it or not, he is depriving a native Kildare footballer of his chance to play for his county while he lives and works in Cavan.

I would agree regarding Johnston.

I wouldn't go along with some of your other points. I still think Kildare are in a better place than they were last year even after today's sobering beating. Niall Kelly did not feature at all today and Daniel Flynn was only introduced long after the game was over as a contest. They have been very encouraging for Kildare and are the type of players we have not had in recent years.

Kildare's midfield is a serious problem. Gary White's departure has been a blow but hopefully things will improve there once Daryl Flynn returns to fitness. Callaghan is another key player for Kildare around the middle and he came on today after a long time out. People will give out about the backs and forwards but any team will struggle if they're blown away around the middle. The full forward line can't do anything with a limited supply of poor ball and the full back line can only do so much if they're under constant bombardment.

It was a very bad day for Kildare and we clearly don't have the necessary depth to replace those players. I think some more of the u21s might be introduced after today. Hurley would be well able for this level and Fogarty and Dowling have already got quite a bit of senior experience. Cribbin could also make an impact if he recovers his form after returning from Collingwood. There are enough reasons to remain hopeful but you have to hope that this will act as a wake up call to the management.

A lot is made of the Kildare setup and while some of it is justified, a lot of what is written and what is said is pure nonsense. Kildare are not All Ireland contenders and the support are well aware of this. Most Kildare fans are happy when the team is competitive and die with their boots on. That was not the case today which is most disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Terrible display, Dublin looked the far better side.

I think it was more his two fisted punch on the back of Dublin defender that got him just a yellow card angered the Hill , Otherwise we couldn’t give a F**k about him. :P

I would agree regarding Johnston.

I wouldn't go along with some of your other points. I still think Kildare are in a better place than they were last year even after today's sobering beating. Niall Kelly did not feature at all today and Daniel Flynn was only introduced long after the game was over as a contest. They have been very encouraging for Kildare and are the type of players we have not had in recent years.

Kildare's midfield is a serious problem. Gary White's departure has been a blow but hopefully things will improve there once Daryl Flynn returns to fitness. Callaghan is another key player for Kildare around the middle and he came on today after a long time out. People will give out about the backs and forwards but any team will struggle if they're blown away around the middle. The full forward line can't do anything with a limited supply of poor ball and the full back line can only do so much if they're under constant bombardment.

It was a very bad day for Kildare and we clearly don't have the necessary depth to replace those players. I think some more of the u21s might be introduced after today. Hurley would be well able for this level and Fogarty and Dowling have already got quite a bit of senior experience. Cribbin could also make an impact if he recovers his form after returning from Collingwood. There are enough reasons to remain hopeful but you have to hope that this will act as a wake up call to the management.

A lot is made of the Kildare setup and while some of it is justified, a lot of what is written and what is said is pure nonsense. Kildare are not All Ireland contenders and the support are well aware of this. Most Kildare fans are happy when the team is competitive and die with their boots on. That was not the case today which is most disappointing.

It was very untypical of Kildare.I have seem them lose by as much bit not going down without a fight but today in the second half they were beaten all over the field.I thought your keeper played well with some good saves despite a lot of Kildare fans giving out about his distribution from Kickouts.

One thing about today was the attendance.Is it true a lot of Kildare support boycotted todays game as a result of it being moved?15,000 even with mothers day taken into consideration is a very poor turnout for a top of the table clash.

• Advertisement

One thing about today was the attendance.Is it true a lot of Kildare support boycotted todays game as a result of it being moved?15,000 even with mothers day taken into consideration is a very poor turnout for a top of the table clash.
    This made me laugh, nobody from Kildare boycotted the game. Maybe you should be asking why a county with over 1 million people could only muster up 7 or 8 thousand fans for a top of the table clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    This made me laugh, nobody from Kildare boycotted the game. Maybe you should be asking why a county with over 1 million people could only muster up 7 or 8 thousand fans for a top of the table clash.

Wasn't there some big cross channel soccer on today. Plus I bumped into some sniffer dogs outside Croker on the way in.

Haha you really don't have a clue do you?I thought along with being the fittest team in the country, you were also the "best supported team in the country".Only 4,000 at the game last week, I say there were even less of you this week.

Hard luck to Loldare.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Maybe its because a lot of Dubs supporters don't take a league game against Kildare any way serious,Its only the top teams that they come out for,I know its wrong and maybe even sad but until Kildare actually win something and prove there worth,even in leinster, sure why would they bother.

Haha you really don't have a clue do you?I thought along with being the fittest team in the country, you were also the "best supported team in the country".Only 4,000 at the game last week, I say there were even less of you this week.

Great to see the un-bias modding on here.

Loldare? Really? Are you 8?

FYI there was over 7 thousand at our game last week, the capacity was set at just over 6,100 but they let in anyone that was outside looking to gain entry. Maybe you should get your facts right before acting like a child. Per capita I would say Kildare are most definitely one of the best supported teams in the country. Who said we were the fittest team in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Blackbelt just to point out I do not nor do any sane Kildare people consider Kildare favourites for Sam. Where you got that I dunno tbh.

So so frustrated today, I thought lads looked tired but if you are playing without a good midfield players forwards and backs suffer strain from overworking..

On Johnston he shouldn't be there I don't like the set up with him taking a Kildare mans spot but no player deserves to be abused that is just not acceptable.. Was only a percentage small of course of dickheads throwing abuse but that has to be expected. And to be fair Kildare have a few mouths following them too.

Worrying thing is Kildare had no fight in second half and made a good Dublin side look like they were miles ahead technically while the divide isn't huge lets be honest.

Kickouts should be shortened to counter aerial presence in midfield..

Dear god can we have a 28 year old dermot earley in place of seanie?? Please??? God???? Please????? Answer meeeeee!!!!! :(

Hopefully things will pick up

CILL DARA ABÚ

Mod or not no need for you taking the piss...

Had more respect for you before seeing you trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

There was 6,100 at the Kerry game in Newbridge last week due to attendance restrictions.

You haven't a clue yourself buddy. But that's not thing new for a Dublin supporter. Was sitting beside one today who couldn't get his head around why the referee threw up the ball after Brogan came charging in.

Incidentally any sightings of Alan Brogan around. Or is he still "injured"?

realies wrote: »
    Maybe its because a lot of Dubs supporters don't take a league game against Kildare any way serious,Its only the top teams that they come out for,I know its wrong and maybe even sad but until Kildare actually win something and prove there worth,even in leinster, sure why would they bother.

Why would any fan pick and choose games?? Not fans if that's the case..

We have nothing to prove to anyone..

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Wow.

So your "fans" only come out for the big games? Well done, you just confirmed what I've always believed about Dublin "fans".

Advertisement