Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    Same could be said for the Dublin hurlers. Where was all the Dublin support today? Oh that's right, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs were all on the box today.

More nonsense how do you expect supporters to be in 2 venues at the same time. Again no vision shown by those that plan fixtures. Was there only 4,000 in Newbridge last week for Kildare v Kerry, where are all those great Kildare supporters we hear about ?? like all counties you have a large following of event junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Mullet wrote: »
    The reality is a Friday night could easily start at 7.30 - 8.00pm. I would imagine there are a fair few of the Kildare panel that are working or studying in Dublin. If the desire was there it could happen.

I do remember 2 years ago that Mayo and Dublin had agreed to play a league game on a Friday night but the muppets in croker refused to sanction the game yet they demanded Dublin hurlers and footballers to play refixed league games midweek in Antrim and Armagh respectively so I doubt it would be hard for the Kildare panel to assemble on a Friday night for a game. Again there is no forward thinking regarding the promotion of our games.

And what of those who are not working or studying in Dublin? I don't think it's feasible. It's also asking a lot of supporters coming from places in the south of the county. Saturday evenings are a different story because most people are free all afternoon. That is not the case for the vast majority of people on a Friday.

Kildare v Kerry was sold out last weekend with the crowd reaching the 6,000 capacity that GAA HQ had set so I don't know what you're other comment there is about?

I don't think there's any need to get into an our support are better than your support pissing contest. I think most would agree that both counties have an excellent core travelling support who often outnumber other counties when they're on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

More nonsense how do you expect supporters to be in 2 venues at the same time. Again no vision shown by those that plan fixtures. Was there only 4,000 in Newbridge last week for Kildare v Kerry, where are all those great Kildare supporters we hear about ?? like all counties you have a large following of event junkies.
    The hurling reference was meant in reply to your dig at Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I'm not here to slag, lads, but just to give my honest opinion on the game today. Kildare were the victims of their own downfall. When Dublin picked up the intensity for 10 minutes after half time, Kildare didn't know what to do and it was over before any changes were implemented. Laziness and incompetence from the sideline if you ask me.

Connolly should have or even been told to vary the kick outs during the first 10 minutes of the second half. This is how a lot of Dublin's scores came about. If you lose 5 kick outs in a row by pumping the ball down the middle then it's quite obvious something different should be tried. That's club level stuff.

The amount of times the Kildare lads carried the ball into the tackle was amazing. Dublin were easily able to turnover and move up the pitch with speed. Once again, you get bollocksed for that sort of stuff in lower levels.

In football today, a fluidity is needed from the fullback line right up to the full forward line and Dublin showed how to do this. Their corner backs and half backs passed and looked for the return all the time while working the ball up the pitch. Kildare were doing it in stages or zones and at certain times the receiver was left isolated because the ball-passer had not continued his run. Bolton was the only one who was doing it effectively and he ended up with a couple of excellent scores.

No plan B - the two man inside forward line worked well for a while but Dublin dropped a sweeper back which made this system redundant. Why continue on with it when it's now not going to work? Obviously only one gameplan has been worked on and expected to work.

I hope Kildare can pull it together as I have the blood in me but based on todays performance I'm not too optimistic. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Dublin played well. scored some impressive points from distance. Dublin would have beaten us my more if brogan had gone for the points rather than goal at every opportunity.
    No intensity at all from kildare and midfield seemed to be AWOL in the second half and that was the worrying part.... but sure its only the league....

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

And what of those who are not working or studying in Dublin? I don't think it's feasible. It's also asking a lot of supporters coming from places in the south of the county. Saturday evenings are a different story because most people are free all afternoon. That is not the case for the vast majority of people on a Friday.

Kildare v Kerry was sold out last weekend with the crowd reaching the 6,000 capacity that GAA HQ had set so I don't know what you're other comment there is about?

I don't think there's any need to get into an our support are better than your support pissing contest. I think most would agree that both counties have an excellent core travelling support who often outnumber other counties when they're on the road.

Where lies the problem, why hasn't the Kildare County Board invested in upgrading Newbridge to a decent standard for spectators like many other county boards have done around the country.

I never entered the argument about supporters been better then other counties but i was genuienely surprised at how few supporters there were from kildare in Croke Park today. Rte did report that there was only 4,000 in Newbridge last week but I take your word.

Where lies the problem, why hasn't the Kildare County Board invested in upgrading Newbridge to a decent standard for spectators like many other county boards have done around the country.

I never entered the argument about supporters been better then other counties but i was genuienely surprised at how few supporters there were from kildare in Croke Park today. Rte did report that there was only 4,000 in Newbridge last week but I take your word.

Kildare had plans to develop a new ground in the Old Connell area of Newbridge but that was to be funded by the sale of the existing grounds in the centre of the town. With the property crash in 2008, those plans were postponed and the county board don't have many options because space is very limited around the existing grounds. Even if they had the money for it, I don't think it would be possible to undertake a major upgrade of St Conleth's Park.

I can't say I'm surprised if RTÉ were incorrect in reporting the attendance. Their sports department are utterly useless. The official attendance last Sunday was 5,995. GAA HQ had set a limit of 6,181 tickets and all were sold.

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/03/03/kildare-lucky-to-overcome-poor-second-half-against-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

To be fair Mother's Day probably impacted ticket sales.. I was blessed to get to the game but after 2 losses for hurlers and footballers I wish I was at home lol..

I honestly can't see conleths being revamped in next 4-5 years the funds are not there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

kencoo wrote: »
    Dublin played well. scored some impressive points from distance. Dublin would have beaten us my more if brogan had gone for the points rather than goal at every opportunity.
    No intensity at all from kildare and midfield seemed to be AWOL in the second half and that was the worrying part.... but sure its only the league....

If the goals were on Id be worried if he was picking points. Keeper made two great saves and BB also raised a green flag. Id be more worried about the 15mtr free he missed in front of the hill in the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

To be honest the situation in Leinster re grounds is a farce.

The GAA and Leinster Council have pumped euro after euro into Croke Park but neglected the rest of the province.

I was in Tailteann last week for the Meath game and couldn't believe how dilapidated the "stand" was. Last time I checked a bit of wood nailed to concrete didn't constitute "seating".

Now it's being discussed on here that Kildare, a county with a population of 160k to 180k AFAIK, are playing in a ground with a capacity of 6k!

I wish I could laugh but its more shocking than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

blackbelt wrote: »
    I thought this myself.However at one stage I saw 6 players on Bernard Brogan.Other times 2-3 players and some dragging off the ball.Dublin seemed to run into traffic in the first 20 minutes of the game but then learned to vary the play by playing around it and mixing it up with long range scores.Kilkenny had a decent game and was unlucky not to get a few more scores on the board.

I think it would be a pity to see Kildare go down that route of playing football.I don't think they have the personnel that can quickly learn that style of play as opposed to the natural man on man,kick and catch style.As far as winning Sam is concerned I would agree but I wouldn't write them off for Leinster by any stretch.2010 was a year in which Dublin motored well in the league before struggling in the earlier rounds of the championship and Meath won it so lets be open to the possibilities.Kildare are a decent side but there are too many problem areas to suggest they will go all the way.

The problem with that style of football comes on a windy day like yesterday where the wind favours one team.

With a defensive men behind the ball counter-attack set-up you may fail to score enough when you have the breeze (Kildare in the first half) and in the second half be undone by quick early ball and scores from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Wow.

So your "fans" only come out for the big games? Well done, you just confirmed what I've always believed about Dublin "fans".

Look, why dont you build a bridge and get over it, you were crap yesterday and all the hype about Kildare was proven to be just that that "Hype". If you want to play in the big boys schoolyard then I suggest you first learn to stop whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fitzerb wrote: »
    all the hype about Kildare was proven to be just that that "Hype"
    Like another poster, I have yet to see this hype which everybody likes to talk about.

Our number one problem yesterday was midfield. A stat flashed up on TG4 in the middle of the second half, Kickouts Won: Kildare 6, Dublin 32. Theres no hope of us competing against the top teams when we cant compete in midfield. It was almost the undoing of us in Newbridge the week before aswell. We are hoping that Lynch or Daryl Flynn might do the job when they come back to full fitness, but Im not sure if either of them are the answer either?

If we dont get the midfield sorted soon I have a feeling that it could be another Summer of breezing past weaker teams only to be beaten by Dublin, Kerry etc when it comes to the crunch.

Lemlin wrote: »
    To be honest the situation in Leinster re grounds is a farce.

The GAA and Leinster Council have pumped euro after euro into Croke Park but neglected the rest of the province.

I was in Tailteann last week for the Meath game and couldn't believe how dilapidated the "stand" was. Last time I checked a bit of wood nailed to concrete didn't constitute "seating".

Now it's being discussed on here that Kildare, a county with a population of 160k to 180k AFAIK, are playing in a ground with a capacity of 6k!

I wish I could laugh but its more shocking than anything.
    Good point lemlin, Kildare need a bigger stadium or to have our existing one upgraded. It really is a shame having big games shifted to omoore park or Croker park.

I personally wouldn't want a new stadium but conleths needs work. Conleths has huge problems but I just feel at home there.

Look, why dont you build a bridge and get over it, you were crap yesterday and all the hype about Kildare was proven to be just that that "Hype". If you want to play in the big boys schoolyard then I suggest you first learn to stop whinging

Well done you successfully contributed nothing to the thread but you certainly are attempting to act the bollix when there is no need Wong is a new poster not my views or anyone else's here re Kildare or Dublin or gaa let's be honest.

Also mr Wong is there a need for you to attack Dublin gaa or fans?? Just childish really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

I never felt so bad leaving Croke Park yesterday, KFM put it well this morning calling it the "Mothers Day Massacre" and that it certainly was. There is no point going into huge detail of what happened yesterday, but MF has to be addressed. We've all seen first hand how good Niall Kelly, Brophy and Flynn have been since introduced, putting to bed the idea that young lads cant step up onto the big stage. I don't see why Geezer doesn't try out Sean Hurley and Tommy Moolick (should be brought back onto the team, playing the best football i've seen from him since his minor days) at MF. The two of them are very tall men and would be ideal. Also, I think Mark Donnellan should be given a chance in goal for the senior team, his shot stopping and kickouts are fantastic, don't get me wrong Connolly is a good keeper, a fellow clubman of mine, but if there are better players in the county they should be given their chance.

Well done you successfully contributed nothing to the thread but you certainly are attempting to act the bollix when there is no need Wong is a new poster not my views or anyone else's here re Kildare or Dublin or gaa let's be honest.

Also mr Wong is there a need for you to attack Dublin gaa or fans?? Just childish really.

I think I have a right to respond to Mr Wong's attack on Dublin fans . Accusing them of staying at home to watch English soccer teams is just looking for some excuse to deflect from the performance of Kildare. Any reasonable person would understand that yesterday was Mothers day which kept many away from the game. The fact it felt like the coldest day this year also kept families with young children away. So to accuse Dublin fans of staying away for other reasons is just a whinge from Mr Wong. If he wishes to have a debate about the game I am up for it.

Like another poster, I have yet to see this hype which everybody likes to talk about.

Our number one problem yesterday was midfield. A stat flashed up on TG4 in the middle of the second half, Kickouts Won: Kildare 6, Dublin 32. Theres no hope of us competing against the top teams when we cant compete in midfield. It was almost the undoing of us in Newbridge the week before aswell. We are hoping that Lynch or Daryl Flynn might do the job when they come back to full fitness, but Im not sure if either of them are the answer either?

If we dont get the midfield sorted soon I have a feeling that it could be another Summer of breezing past weaker teams only to be beaten by Dublin, Kerry etc when it comes to the crunch.

Perhaps you live in a sensible part of Kildare with no hype. I also live in Kildare and to listen to them talking about winning the Sam would really make you think if they know anything about the game. Yesterday was a great chance to give under 21 players the experience of playing in Croke Park. I am not sure if thats what happened but from reading the papers it would seem that some of the lads playing well for Kildare on the under 21's were left off. I dont rate Gesser as a Manager. I think his whole dour demeanor translates onto the pitch. His expectation that players should train 5 nights a week is daft. Players in the GAA are no different to you and I with the same work and family problems. They need space to live. I really cant see Kildare moving forward with him at the helm. Its a pity for players like John Doyle who I consider to be one of the best players never to win a celtic cross. Unfortunately for him I think Mother time will catch up with him but I would wager a bet that some day he will manage a successful Kildare side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

How can you expect the U21 players to play after they played on Wednesday night and they play again on Wednesday week. They're not robots, players need rest or they run the risk of getting injured.

Kildare don't train 5 nights a week, they train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and meet up Friday for a talk if there's a game at the weekend.

I think I have a right to respond to Mr Wong's attack on Dublin fans . Accusing them of staying at home to watch English soccer teams is just looking for some excuse to deflect from the performance of Kildare. Any reasonable person would understand that yesterday was Mothers day which kept many away from the game. The fact it felt like the coldest day this year also kept families with young children away. So to accuse Dublin fans of staying away for other reasons is just a whinge from Mr Wong. If he wishes to have a debate about the game I am up for it.

Well truth be told Kildare have the exact same problem I know so many dicks that talk the lily white talk but follow soccer religiously so full of ****...

If you guys wanna get into a slanging match start a thread it's unfair on genuine fans here having to read a Kildare Dublin slagging match no thanks

Who gives a **** who go to matches look after our own etc Jesus Christ lol

Anyways back on topic after watching game again on tv we have a terrible MF with injuries we desperately need to address this ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What's the story with Dermot Jr? He hasn't officially retired but he hasn't played for Sars in a long while, has he?

From the sounds of things if he could get to full fitness he'd be a big help for Kildare in the middle, even if only for a half a game.

Edit: Found this from Geezer after a Google, dated 11th of Feb - "Everybody is ok. We’re still pushing to get Daryl (Flynn) and Leper (Eamon Callaghan) and Dermot (Earley) back on the pitch. Dermot put in a half last week against Crossmaglen (for the under-21s)".

There's many things Dermot can do but passing for a U21 isn't one of them..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Anyways back on topic after watching game again on tv......

Jaysus DK why would you do that to yourself again - I know when Cavan get a pasting I go to a hypnotist to expunge it from my memory, not watch it again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

As an outsider looking in, I think its time for Kildare to bring in a new manager. There has been a lot of work carried out in Kildare at underage level. What they need now is somebody a little wiser than the current manager to shape them into a decent team. I think it will take a couple of years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Jaysus DK why would you do that to yourself again - I know when Cavan get a pasting I go to a hypnotist to expunge it from my memory, not watch it again :eek:

So that's every Cavan game then Tom :pac:

Tom Joad wrote: »

I needed answers as much as it pained me I had to watch it..

So disappointed looking back midfield third is a joke. Nobody chasing Dublin down in second half they look like they didn't want to be there. Conspiracy theories flying round my head and all yeah I'm that annoyed.. Geezer playing mind games with Dublin??? Lmao...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Geezer playing mind games with Dublin??? Lmao...

Talk about grasping at straws there lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

full_irish wrote: »
    So that's every Cavan game then Tom :pac:

Cheeky so and so - yeah walked into that one!! :)

Syferus wrote: »
    What's the story with Dermot Jr? He hasn't officially retired but he hasn't played for Sars in a long while, has he?

From the sounds of things if he could get to full fitness he'd be a big help for Kildare in the middle, even if only for a half a game.

Edit: Found this from Geezer after a Google, dated 11th of Feb - "Everybody is ok. We’re still pushing to get Daryl (Flynn) and Leper (Eamon Callaghan) and Dermot (Earley) back on the pitch. Dermot put in a half last week against Crossmaglen (for the under-21s)".

There's many things Dermot can do but passing for a U21 isn't one of them..!

Dermot was to play on Sunday (from the start I believe) but his back went into spasm during the warm up. He should be fine for this weekend.

How can you expect the U21 players to play after they played on Wednesday night and they play again on Wednesday week. They're not robots, players need rest or they run the risk of getting injured.

Kildare don't train 5 nights a week, they train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and meet up Friday for a talk if there's a game at the weekend.

They train on their own Wed & Fri doing weights for body building. They even have a weight training plan from 14 upwards, its a load of rubbish and something Dublin stoppped for underage players. What about the player who was dumped off the squad two years ago for going to Oxigen after a game. You are right players are not robots so dont treat them like one and you might improve. I would have thought that giving players the experience of playing Dublin in Croke Park would have been a better strategy than resting them. The chances are Dublin will play Kildare in June in the AI. While its nice to win the under 21's the current Kildare team is not getting any younger and the risk is of finding 4 or 5 under 21's but with the balance of the team aging.

• Advertisement

They train on their own Wed & Fri doing weights for body building. They even have a weight training plan from 14 upwards, its a load of rubbish and something Dublin stoppped for underage players. What about the player who was dumped off the squad two years ago for going to Oxigen after a game. You are right players are not robots so dont treat them like one and you might improve. I would have thought that giving players the experience of playing Dublin in Croke Park would have been a better strategy than resting them. The chances are Dublin will play Kildare in June in the AI. While its nice to win the under 21's the current Kildare team is not getting any younger and the risk is of finding 4 or 5 under 21's but with the balance of the team aging.

The panel isn't that old lots of younger guys as well as few older for experience I think we have a good balance of age tbh

Advertisement