Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

The panel isn't that old lots of younger guys as well as few older for experience I think we have a good balance of age tbh

tbh ye remind me of were dublin were at circa 2005 - 2008, now I know we were tearing up leinster but when we came up against lads that could play ball and use the ball properly we were found out..................

Geezer should go, the man is a mammoth ego, and is a carbon copy of roy keane, was a super player but cannot make management work, Id let Jason Ryan take over and introduce the young lads asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I think McGeeney should have gone after last summer and the Johnston saga but all this talk now is a bit reactionary after one very bad defeat. The team that played on Sunday will not be the team that lines out in the summer and that is when Kildare will be judged. There are problems there but we're still in a fairly healthy state relative to where we were in some previous years. Playing weaker opposition in Div 2 masked a lot of the failings. Kildare's midfield and centre back were ruthlessly exposed on Sunday but at least we know not that they are positions that need to be addressed.

Add Callaghan, Flynn, Kelly, Smith and possibly one or two more of the under 21s like Hurley in there and you've a team that will still be competitive come the summer. No one thinks we are going to win the All Ireland but it would be no great surprise if we were still standing in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

anyone else really nervous about the mayo game now?? not gonna get to the game being bank holiday weekend ill be away but really worried bout midfield after last week

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I think McGeeney should have gone after last summer and the Johnston saga but all this talk now is a bit reactionary after one very bad defeat. The team that played on Sunday will not be the team that lines out in the summer and that is when Kildare will be judged. There are problems there but we're still in a fairly healthy state relative to where we were in some previous years. Playing weaker opposition in Div 2 masked a lot of the failings. Kildare's midfield and centre back were ruthlessly exposed on Sunday but at least we know not that they are positions that need to be addressed.

Add Callaghan, Flynn, Kelly, Smith and possibly one or two more of the under 21s like Hurley in there and you've a team that will still be competitive come the summer. No one thinks we are going to win the All Ireland but it would be no great surprise if we were still standing in August.

Some very good points here.

Especially think the point about playing weaker opposition in Division 2 not showing up areas where there are weaknesses bears worth repeating. Generally the teams in Division 2 are decent teams but they don't have the ruthlessness and ability to punish any weaknesses that the top level of teams in Divison 1 will have. If you want to be winning All-Irelands you have to be playing in Division 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

McGeeney won't call up Hurley. They don't get on apparently, Hurley was dropped from the senior panel for sneaking off to Oxygen 2 years ago and McGeeney hasn't forgot. Hurley is an excellent prospect but he will not get a chance to prove himself while McGeeny's in charge. He even dropped him from the U21s win against Meath the other week but came on after 15 minutes and was brilliant.

• Advertisement

They don't have to get along. There's a few more lads there who wouldn't exactly be bosom buddies with McGeeney as will always be the case when you're dealing with over 30 individuals. If Hurley keeps putting his hand up he will get his chance. He might prove himself to be better than a lot of the midfield options ahead of him at the moment.

I heard there was a bad injury picked up by one of the players on Tuesday night that will keep him out for a spell. I haven't seen any media reports so I don't think it's necessary to name him here but it might necessitate a change to the gameplan.

I wouldn't be worried about the trip to Mayo. I don't expect we'll win but we're relatively safe on 6 points so there is room for some experimentation. As long as we see some progress on finding a man to hold the half back line together and getting an effective centre field pairing, I'll be happy. It can't get any worse than last Sunday and I expect we'll see some bit of a backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Some very good points here.

Especially think the point about playing weaker opposition in Division 2 not showing up areas where there are weaknesses bears worth repeating. Generally the teams in Division 2 are decent teams but they don't have the ruthlessness and ability to punish any weaknesses that the top level of teams in Divison 1 will have. If you want to be winning All-Irelands you have to be playing in Division 1

That's very true and good post Klairon too - you learn more about your team after a day like Sunday in Croker than you will by cruising past teams below your level..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

See mcgeeny has changed the team around flynn Kelly and mof start at half forwards lynch to partner o Neil in midfield. Conway on the bench. At least he's not starting the same team as last week but a win should be on the cards if we are to continue to make progress this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Won by a point:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

Great to get the win after last weekends poor performance. Tough game next against Tyrone who beat Dublin tonight.

• Advertisement

Wins a win a win. Up kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

What a difference a week makes! Division 1 is still wide open.... its great being a kildare supporter! Was a bit concerned for the first 15mins or so....

Great to get the result after last week I was worried heads would be down but by god fair play to the lads

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

Good to see a lot of the younger lads playing and making an impact. Onwards and upwards

Connally been dropped won the game last night for kildare.

Good stuff last night after a bad start. There's a lot more to be positive about than there was this time last week.

Kelly and Flynn made a big difference from the team that started against Dublin and Brophy was very good. I'm looking forward to the under 21 match with Laois on Wednesday.

Good stuff last night after a bad start. There's a lot more to be positive about than there was this time last week.

Kelly and Flynn made a big difference from the team that started against Dublin and Brophy was very good. I'm looking forward to the under 21 match with Laois on Wednesday.

Where is the game on elwednesday klairon? Might go to that ;)

Parnell Park I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A win is fine but Mayo kicked it away by missing a heap of handy frees. Got the result but didn't see anything inspirational on the night.

David Hyland played well when he came in, looked solid, would like to see him get a proper run out over the next few matches

They were quite fortunate to get a lot of those frees.

• Advertisement

Kildare u21 v Laois:

1 Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2 Michael Konstantin - Celbridge
    3 David Hyland - Athy
    4 Seán Higgins - Maynooth
    5 Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    6 Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7 Jonathan Byrne - Allenwood
    8 Thomas Moolick (Capt) - Leixlip
    9 Seán Hurley - Johnstownbridge
    10 Liam McGovern - Athy
    11 Niall Kelly - Athy
    12 Daniel Flynn - Johnstownbridge
    13 Paddy Brophy - Celbridge
    14 Fionn Dowling - Suncroft
    15 Pádraig Fogarty - St Laurences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kildare u21 v Laois:

1 Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2 Michael Konstantin - Celbridge
    3 David Hyland - Athy
    4 Seán Higgins - Maynooth
    5 Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    6 Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7 Jonathan Byrne - Allenwood
    8 Thomas Moolick (Capt) - Leixlip
    9 Seán Hurley - Johnstownbridge
    10 Liam McGovern - Athy
    11 Niall Kelly - Athy
    12 Daniel Flynn - Johnstownbridge
    13 Paddy Brophy - Celbridge
    14 Fionn Dowling - Suncroft
    15 Pádraig Fogarty - St Laurences

Eleven players who have some experience with the first team, hopefully they do the business but Laois are a very dangerous team.

Laois forwards are good they scored 5 goals in there last game going to be a ding done battle i think. Was working in north Dublin today think ill Hang on for the match.
    Kfm are putting full commentary tonight if anyone can't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Holy cow - that's some result for Kildare 3-22 to 0-7 against Laois :eek:

Cracking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Good to have a half decent manager over the u21's for a change.

Any day a Kildare team puts 3-22 past a Laois team is a good day!

Great result for kildare it was too easy. Some woeful ballad from the Laois kickouts. We had airfield sown up tonight! I haven't said that in a while.
    Final is on the 3 rd at 7.30 in portlaoise so get down there everyone because the future is white.

Great result for kildare it was too easy. Some woeful ballad from the Laois kickouts. We had airfield sown up tonight! I haven't said that in a while.
    Final is on the 3 rd at 7.30 in portlaoise so get down there everyone because the future is white.

Portlaoise? Great. Home game for us so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Holy cow - that's some result for Kildare 3-22 to 0-7 against Laois :eek:

Cracking stuff.

As good as Kildare were it makes you wonder what Laois were at. Kildare go into Leinster final now untested while Longford have come through two hard fought battles already.

• Advertisement

As good as Kildare were it makes you wonder what Laois were at. Kildare go into Leinster final now untested while Longford have come through two hard fought battles already.

Well i was at the match last night and the quality of football kildare play was brilliant they could well kick and pass the ball around the field far better than Laois even the size of the kildare team against Laois was massive all looking very mature and well worked that's why 6 of them played against mayo just last Saturday night and i have to say they were tested that night. I bet a few of them will be lining out against tyrone on Sunday.
    Mcgeeny is getting this one right with managing the seniors and the U21st together and its paying off in a big way one more point and we will be in the semi finals of division 1 not bad from a team that were favourites to drop out of the division at the start of the season.
    What i saw last night was young players being conditioned in the right way which hasn't happened for a long time in kildare football not saying we are going to win against longford but for a football county we are going in the right direction. And with a bit of luck we could be around for long time to come.

Advertisement