Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

While I agree that McGeeney and co have done an outstanding job so far this year I think it might be for the best not to have the likes of Kelly, Flynn and Brophy playing full games for the rest of the league. Our aim at the start of the year was to attain Div 1 status and we have achieved that,and I felt that the guys that played against Mayo looked understandably tired in the second half last night.There is great potential for success with this U21 team and I feel it would be a great shame if God Forbid one of the lads were injured against Down and they missed out on an All-Ireland final if we get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Total agree the younger lads have not else to prove at this moment and should be rested up and the likes of darl fylnn, lynch, callaghan, maybe early smithy should be giving match time now with two games to go to see if they will make the cut come the summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Some woeful ballad from the Laois kickouts.

We had airfield sown up tonight!

Are you the guy from the Rowntrees Randoms advert?

Are you the guy from the Rowntrees Randoms advert?

Haha combination of fat fingers and a cracked screen will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Total agree the younger lads have not else to prove at this moment and should be rested up and the likes of darl fylnn, lynch, callaghan, maybe early smithy should be giving match time now with two games to go to see if they will make the cut come the summer time.

I think we will see some of these lads on Sunday and against Down. I think we might see the two Johnstownbridge men - Cribbin and Hurley seeing some action for the seniors too.

Kelly and Flynn in particular have played a lot of football recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think we will see some of these lads on Sunday and against Down. I think we might see the two Johnstownbridge men - Cribbin and Hurley seeing some action for the seniors too.

Kelly and Flynn in particular have played a lot of football recently.

Cavan U21s don't play with the seniors once the U21 championship starts.

It left us a bit short of strength in depth the last two weekends but we've had fantastic success at U21 since we started it.

2 Ulster titles, an All Ireland final appearance and an Ulster final appearance since 2010 when this system was started by the present senior manager Terry Hyland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

We are playing Tyrone Sunday, not Down. Unless guys are carrying knocks I don't agree that they should be rested, there's no amount of training that will replace competitive matches. These guys are well used to playing 2 games a week as a lot of them have done with their clubs, county and colleges. I'd like to see a few more of these U21s called into the senior panel, Fergal Conway and Séan Hurley imparticularly.

I see the Kildare CB have made a u-turn on their decision to charge OAPS and children full price for stand tickets for Sunday. Shame on them for even trying to pull a fast one.

Conway is already on the senior panel.

There's a balance needed now between trying out the younger players and getting some much needed games into guys who have been out injured - Lynch, Leper, Smithy, Daryl. It's probably an opportune time to get a rest into Niall Kelly and Daniel Flynn and get some more football into the other lads.

A point is enough in the last two games to see us into a semi final. Another game in Croke Park and an opportunity to have a go at winning the league would be nice but I don't think it is a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You'd have to hope it is at this point. With the devaluation of the provincials - particularly for teams in the top six or so - caused by the AIQ system an NFL title is at minimum of the same level of prestige as a Leinster title. Honestly, removing the emotional journey Kildare have been on trying to win a Leinster title an NFL is a more significant achievement.

This isn't a D2 title won by playing a glorified challenge match, this is the actual honest-to-god title that would be etched into peoples' memories if it's won. For a county that's never won an NFL title it should be an especially enticing prospect.

Syferus wrote: »
    You'd have to hope it is at this point. With the devaluation of the provincials - particularly for teams in the top six or so - caused by the AIQ system an NFL title is at minimum of the same level of prestige as a Leinster title. Honestly, removing the emotional journey Kildare have been on trying to win a Leinster title an NFL is a more significant achievement.

This isn't a D2 title won by playing a glorified challenge match, this is the actual honest-to-god title that would be etched into peoples' memories if it's won. For a county that's never won an NFL title it should be an especially enticing prospect.

It would be a great achievement at to win out the league but at the end of the day its forgotten by mid-June.Cork won the last, what? 3 leagues and I know lads from Cork at work who couldnt give a toss about any of them as at the end of the day they fell short in the Championship. I would take 1 Leinster title over 3 national leagues any day and I think if we won Leinster we would have momentum and confidence that we never had from beating the likes of wicklow and sligo in the qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cork also have seven football AIs and seven NFL titles in the bank and countless hurling AIs - the football supporters hardly give a toss about Munster titles either. Kildare's gauge of what an NFL title would mean is very different to Cork's.

A better - though honestly still significantly more successful - example is Mayo and how their league form last year helped propel them to the AI final. Beating Dublin or Meath to win a Leinster isn't going to stop any team from bombing out at the AIQFs, knowing you beat the very best in the country just a few months ago at least gives the confidence of knowing you're good enough on your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Talk of resting under 21s two months into the season is ridic. Players like John Doyle aren't going to be around forever, get the players who are ready to play senior playing senior and win something meaningful FFS!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Talk of resting under 21s two months into the season is ridic. Players like John Doyle aren't going to be around forever, get the players who are ready to play senior playing senior and win something meaningful FFS!

Take Jack Brady in Cavan as an example. He's been playing league football for his club Ramor. Sigerson for DCU. Cavan senior games in the league and McKenna Cup. Cavan U21 Hastings Cup games and now championship games.

Plus all the training and challenge games that go along with all those teams.

The lad is 20 years of age. And he's not an exception to the rule. In Cavan there are others like Killian Clarke and Fergal Flanagan with similar schedules and I'd say there are plenty in other counties like Kildare.

I definitely feel these young lads should be protected from too much football. These lads are amateurs, not professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

qwerty93 wrote: »
    It would be a great achievement at to win out the league but at the end of the day its forgotten by mid-June.Cork won the last, what? 3 leagues and I know lads from Cork at work who couldnt give a toss about any of them as at the end of the day they fell short in the Championship. I would take 1 Leinster title over 3 national leagues any day and I think if we won Leinster we would have momentum and confidence that we never had from beating the likes of wicklow and sligo in the qualifiers.

Ask a Cork player were is league medal is he couldnt tell ya, ask him were is Celtic cross is he will.
    The championship is what it is all about

Syferus wrote: »
    Cork also have seven football AIs and seven NFL titles in the bank and countless hurling AIs - the football supporters hardly give a toss about Munster titles either. Kildare's gauge of what an NFL title would mean is very different to Cork's.

A better - though honestly still significantly more successful - example is Mayo and how their league form last year helped propel them to the AI final. Beating Dublin or Meath to win a Leinster isn't going to stop any team from bombing out at the AIQFs, knowing you beat the very best in the country just a few months ago at least gives the confidence of knowing you're good enough on your day.
    Down had a very good league last year, and like us were expected to be relegated.In the championship they got hockeyed by Mayo and Donegal (two very good teams admittedly) its shows its not the be all and end all.Would rather see the likes of Callaghan, Flynn, Lynch and Smith get some game time even if they will be a bit rusty because when it comes to crunch in the summer experience will be vital.
    Also I think Dublin are the best team in the counry at the moment, and after beating Cork Kerry, Donegal and Mayo, theres not too many teams bigger than us I think!

Down had a very good league last year, and like us were expected to be relegated.In the championship they got hockeyed by Mayo and Donegal (two very good teams admittedly) its shows its not the be all and end all.Would rather see the likes of Callaghan, Flynn, Lynch and Smith get some game time even if they will be a bit rusty because when it comes to crunch in the summer experience will be vital.
    Also I think Dublin are the best team in the counry at the moment, and after beating Cork Kerry, Donegal and Mayo, theres not too many teams bigger than us I think!

Beat them in the championship when it really counts and then come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lemlin wrote: »
    Beat them in the championship when it really counts and then come back to us.
    i think we will lemlin..

also agree dublin are a class team...

tyrone are also playing great football.

if we get players back kildare are gonna be a strong outfit during the summer

keane2097 wrote: »

Kildare need to get some football into players like Callaghan, Smith and Daryl Flynn who have been out injured. Daniel Flynn and Niall Kelly in particular have played a lot of football recently. A week out will do those lads no harm considering they will have a busy schedule coming up with the u21 final and with their college exams. I don't think it's a case of simply resting all the u21s. I expect Brophy and Donnellan to start again and it would be no surprise to see any of Hurley, Cribbin, Hyland or Conway involved at some point. They have less football played recently than Kelly and Flynn. Dowling came on and got a point in Castlebar but he went off injured on Wednesday night so he might be wrapped up in cotton wool before the Leinster Final.

As for winning the NFL, it wouldn't mean half as much as a Leinster title to Kildare. Most Lilywhites have only seen the team win two Leinster titles in their lifetimes. Some of the current senior team would have been no older than 5 or 6 when they won the last of those in 2000. I remember our last league final against Dublin in 1991. While it was a great occasion and it was all new to us at the time, the pain of that defeat was in a halfpenny place compared to the pain of Leinster final defeats in 1992, 1993, 2002, 2003 and 2009.

Getting the players ready and the combinations right for the summer has to take priority over winning the league. If one goes with the other than it's obviously a massive bonus!

just heard the team for sunday on kfm.

donnellain
    lyons
    foley
    mcgrillan
    bolton
    kelly
    e doyle
    o neill
    lynch
    callaghan
    flaherty
    flaherty
    johnson
    o connor
    sweeney.

I think I heard that anyways..

Spot on roy. The keeper is the only u21 involved. Suprised to see Sweeney starting, great to see Callaghan starting. J. Dizzle must be rested?

• Advertisement

Interesting forward line. flaherty to pick up the breaking ball, kick it into the big men, lay it off for johnson, goal!!!! thats the way i see its gonna to played hopefully it works. The back 6 do look solid enough and wont change that. O neill is not a midfielder at this class and is struggling, would perfer to see him move a bit more forward.
    Roli up front was the one that i was not expecting he's a bit hot and cold could surprise me on the day.

I wonder will we see anymore of Mikey Conway in a Kildare jersey?

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    ^^ Says your man from the mighty Cavan! Good Lord..

It's a criticism often levelled at Kildare that they are overrated. I would see that post I replied to as over estimating the team based on League results.

As for the mighty Cavan. I fail to see how where I'm from has anything to do with my opinion re the post but you'd do well to remember that, while Kildare are a vastly superior team to Cavan, since McGeeney took over they have won exactly the same as Cavan: diddly squat!

It's a criticism often levelled at Kildare that they are overrated. I would see that post I replied to as over estimating the team based on League results.

As for the mighty Cavan. I fail to see how where I'm from has anything to do with my opinion re the post but you'd do well to remember that, while Kildare are a vastly superior team to Cavan, since McGeeney took over they have won exactly the same as Cavan: diddly squat!
    NFL Div2 title last year. Do they not count? Couple of O'Byrne Cups too. That's not "diddly squat" as you so smugly put it.

Who's over-rating us? Certainly not any right minded Kildare supporter. Just the predictable hacks in the media.

NFL Div2 title last year. Do they not count? Couple of O'Byrne Cups too. That's not "diddly squat" as you so smugly put it.

Who's over-rating us? Certainly not any right minded Kildare supporter. Just the predictable hacks in the media.

And I'm sure in the annals of GAA folklore people will look back and say that was a great Kildare team who won those couple of O'Byrne Cups and Division 2 title!

The poster above said that there were few teams bigger than Kildare. I disagreed.

You seem to have taken exception to that and made a smug comment about my own county. Now you have a problem with me being smug in return.

And you're taking exception to me pointing out that Kildare haven't beaten a top side under McGeeney despite a poster above saying there's few bigger team, me disagreeing and you taking exception.

If Kildare supporters aren't overrating Kildare, why do you disagree with me commenting on one who obviously is? You mention the media then but the media aren't posting here.

Until Kildare beat a top team when it really matters, my own opinion is that ye should be talking your team down, not up.

how was I overestimating Kildare? I think its a general consensus that Kildare, outside of the top 4 or 5 teams would be up there with the best.

how was I overestimating Kildare? I think its a general consensus that Kildare, outside of the top 4 or 5 teams would be up there with the best.

Like I said, come back to me when they've proven it in Championship football.

Last year they were beaten by a very average Meath team and then soundly beaten by a Cork team who in turn were trounced by Donegal.

How you can less than a year later equate that to Kildare being up with the best is beyond me.

I love the way people dismiss the league like it's nothing. Kildare for an "over-rated" team are sitting joint top of NFL Div1, this is without key players like Daryl Flynn, Eamon Callaghan and Alan Smith. McGeeney has blooded serious talent so far this year so I for one am very optimistic for the Championship. One hurdle that needs to be addressed though is to beat the Dubs, the physiological boost that would give this team would be huge.

The Dubs winning the AI in '10 seems to have turned the media's attention on Kildare as the hype machine goes into over-drive when ever we play a big side.

I love the way people dismiss the league like it's nothing. Kildare for an "over-rated" team are sitting joint top of NFL Div1, this is without key players like Daryl Flynn, Eamon Callaghan and Alan Smith. McGeeney has blooded serious talent so far this year so I for one am very optimistic for the Championship. One hurdle that needs to be addressed though is to beat the Dubs, the physiological boost that would give this team would be huge.

The Dubs winning the AI in '10 seems to have turned the media's attention on Kildare as the hype machine goes into over-drive when ever we play a big side.

Check this thread at this time last year. I was hearing the same then and stating I was awaiting the proof then too.

It's the league. Every team is trying out new players, resting lads or has others away. Cavan beat Meath and Monaghan a few weeks back in league games. Would I expect them to beat them in the championship? I certainly would not.

The media line is being pulled out here again too but it's not the media hyping Kildare in the posts.

Interesting how you failed to answer any of the questions I posed. Choosing to ignore them and go off on a tangent.

You talk of a psychological challenge to be overcome re the Dubs. Kildare's psychological challenge is that they need to beat any top side in the championship, something they have failed to do in recent years, often losing to average sides like Meath or even the likes of Wicklow.

As I said to the other poster, come back to me when they've beaten a top side in the championship and you lads can make proclamations like the one above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Conway might be overlooked now he just isn't good enough

Advertisement