Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If you can point out to me exactly where Kildare people are hyping up their team then I will accept your argument. I cannot recall anyone on here saying we'll win this or that come the summer. I'm sorry if we don't live up to the stereotype of being overly excitable bandwagoners. I find Kildare supporters are quite realistic and at times overly pessimistic.

I don't think Kildare will go much further this year than they have done previously. The young players are promising and give us hope but they will need time and I think there is a danger now of expecting too much from them. That said, would it be that big of a surprise if I'm wrong and Kildare were still standing in late August? Apart from Dublin I don't think there are that many teams out there who Kildare would fear. I just do not see Donegal replicating the same hunger and desire this year.

I've already gone over where people hyped the team but for you once more..

One poster said there are few bigger teams than Kildare. Another followed that up by saying he thinks they will beat the top teams this Summer. Another rowed in to say Kildare are in the top 5-6 and that's a fact.

IMO that is hyping the team. I'm not going to go over why I think it is hyping the team again as it's in the threads.

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    So you nit pick what 3 supporters have said and then tar the rest of Kildare's fanbase with what they've said. Well done.

The media are a huge source of all this hype surrounding Kildare. We are shown on tv a lot more than before McGeeney took over, the newspapers focus on us a lot more and the internet forums such as this one also focus on Kildare regularly.

I don't live in Kildare so yes I am going on this board. It's the sample of Kildare supporters I have to go on. Maybe it's not indicative of Kildare supporters in general but how am I to know?

I was at two Kildare games last year but was amongst supporters of the opposition.

Read this thread at this time last year. I said the same then too and what happened in the Summer?

Like I said, when Kildare prove otherwise I'll re-evaluate my opinion. If ye are correct, that'll be this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Lemlin wrote: »

One poster said there are few bigger teams than Kildare. Another followed that up by saying he thinks they will beat the top teams this Summer. Another rowed in to say Kildare are in the top 5-6 and that's a fact.

IMO that is hyping the team. I'm not going to go over why I think it is hyping the team again as it's in the threads.
    jaysus, u talk some waffle on here..3 posters up kildare and u tar all..anyway hope seanie has a good game tomorrow..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Top 5 or 6 is probably a fair enough claim. I've said my piece on this whole idea of ranking teams because our main competitions are not leagues but I don't think claiming that is wildly inaccurate. We're probably to the lower end of that scale but how many teams out there would you say have better prospects than Kildare? Dublin - undoubtedly, Donegal - undoubtedly, Cork - undoubtedly, Mayo - probably but are lacking in areas, Kerry - on the wane but still have more class, Tyrone - debatable. That would leave us about 7th or so. I doubt there would be much of a handicap either way if any bookmaker priced up a hypothetical championship clash between Kildare and either of the latter three counties. Are the above counties vastly ahead of Kildare in terms of the quality of player they have on their panels? Down have regressed badly since 2010 and I don't think there are any counties in the lower divisions who are in better shape than Kildare.

I wouldn't agree that Kildare will beat the big teams but maybe he will be right. Kildare are in better shape this year than they have been at this time of the year previously. Division 1 football should stand to them and there are some younger players who could potentially improve in positions which have been problematic in the past. I'm not sure if they're ready just yet but maybe I'm underestimating them and Kildare will take one or two scalps in the summer. Who knows?

redarmy wrote: »
    jaysus, u talk some waffle on here..3 posters up kildare and u tar all..anyway hope seanie has a good game tomorrow..:D

Where have I tarred them all? I'm addressing the posters on here. Like I said, they're the audience here and the sample of Kildare supporters I have.

Nice attempt at a Seanie jibe. Like I said, I've no interest in unearthing that nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

I don't live in Kildare so yes I am going on this board. It's the sample of Kildare supporters I have to go on. Maybe it's not indicative of Kildare supporters in general but how am I to know?

I was at two Kildare games last year but was amongst supporters of the opposition.

Read this thread at this time last year. I said the same then too and what happened in the Summer?

Like I said, when Kildare prove otherwise I'll re-evaluate my opinion. If ye are correct, that'll be this Summer.
    If you don't know then maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself.

Like Klairondavis has said, Kildare fans (real fans, not the bandwagoners) have gone through too much heartache in recent years to expect anything from us in the Championships. Defeats in Leinster to the likes of Wicklow, Louth and Meath last year have put paid to me hyping this side up anyway.

Having said all that, these are exciting times for us as we now have a crop of very young players like, Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn, Seán Hurley, Paddy Brophy, Paul Cribben, Fergal Conway, David Hyland and Mark Donnellan. Niall Kelly is a exciting prospect as he is the type of player we haven't had in quite a while, he has a certain class about him. Our U21s are in a Leinster Final and are favorites to win the AI. If, as a Kildare fan I can't get excited about them then what's the point.

Top 5 or 6 is probably a fair enough claim. I've said my piece on this whole idea of ranking teams because our main competitions are not leagues but I don't think claiming that is wildly inaccurate. We're probably to the lower end of that scale but how many teams out there would you say have better prospects than Kildare? Dublin - undoubtedly, Donegal - undoubtedly, Cork - undoubtedly, Mayo - probably but are lacking in areas, Kerry - on the wane but still have more class, Tyrone - debatable. That would leave us about 7th or so. I doubt there would be much of a handicap either way if any bookmaker priced up a hypothetical championship clash between Kildare and either of the latter three counties. Are the above counties vastly ahead of Kildare in terms of the quality of player they have on their panels? Down have regressed badly since 2010 and I don't think there are any counties in the lower divisions who are in better shape than Kildare.

I wouldn't agree that Kildare will beat the big teams but maybe he will be right. Kildare are in better shape this year than they have been at this time of the year previously. Division 1 football should stand to them and there are some younger players who could potentially improve in positions which have been problematic in the past. I'm not sure if they're ready just yet but maybe I'm underestimating them and Kildare will take one or two scalps in the summer. Who knows?

Yes about 7th so not in the top 5-6. I've agreed with top 8.

What I disagree with is that it's a "fact" ye are top 5-6 and there are few bigger teams.

You appear to agree so, other than trying to back up your fellow supporters who you actually appear to disagree with, I fail to see the reasons for all the posts in reply to mine.

At the heart of it, you're actually agreeing with me - Kildare are top 8 but have alot to prove.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seanie could well become a legend for Kildare.....maybe finally allowing them to make the breakthrough and beat the top sides.
    On occasions they have come close, he might have made the difference, time will tell - he is certainly a loss for the county he used to play for - that's for sure.

Yes about 7th so not in the top 5-6. I've agreed with top 8.

What I disagree with is that it's a "fact" ye are top 5-6 and there are few bigger teams.

You appear to agree so, other than trying to back up your fellow supporters who you actually appear to disagree with, I fail to see the reasons for all the posts in reply to mine.

At the heart of it, you're actually agreeing with me - Kildare are top 8 but have alot to prove.

I've been in agreement on the basic point all along. Where I disagree is your belief that this is Kildare people hyping up the team. I also think ranking teams is a pointless exercise that is best left to the likes of Brehony, Spillane and McGee when they run out of ideas for their insightful columns!

Is it that inaccurate if anyone rated Kildare as slightly higher than 7th or so? Take Mayo for example. They have taken the scalps of Dublin and Cork in 2011 and 2012 but the same group of players lost badly to Sligo and Longford as recently as 2010 and they needed extra time to escape from Ruislip not that long ago. Surely if you're using Kildare's defeats to Wicklow in 2008 and Louth in 2010 as a basis to down rate Kildare then we should use the same criteria to assess other counties. Have Tyrone done anything in the last two or three years to suggest that they're vastly superior to Kildare? I don't think so. I wouldn't have a problem with people who rated Kildare ahead of either of those counties. I wouldn't necessarily agree but I could see the basis for that argument.

I think everyone is behind Dublin with Donegal and Cork best placed to challenge. Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Kildare are probably all at a similar enough level in terms of their panel of players. A few injuries either way could go a long way to deciding things because I don't think there is a truly great team out there at the moment. Only Dublin have the potential to get to that level but they're still a bit off yet.

If you don't know then maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself.

Like Klairondavis has said, Kildare fans (real fans, not the bandwagoners) have gone through too much heartache in recent years to expect anything from us in the Championships. Defeats in Leinster to the likes of Wicklow, Louth and Meath last year have put paid to me hyping this side up anyway.

Having said all that, these are exciting times for us as we now have a crop of very young players like, Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn, Seán Hurley, Paddy Brophy, Paul Cribben, Fergal Conway, David Hyland and Mark Donnellan. Niall Kelly is a exciting prospect as he is the type of player we haven't had in quite a while, he has a certain class about him. Our U21s are in a Leinster Final and are favorites to win the AI. If, as a Kildare fan I can't get excited about them then what's the point.

I'm only commenting on what's been posted on here.

So if you don't agree with the hyping of the side why take issue with me pointing out posters who are?

You then went off on tangents about the media but its not the media who I originally replied to when I said come back to me when Kildare have beaten a top team in the championship and you took exception.

I agree those would be exciting times for the county. My own county has won two Ulster U21 titles and a minor Ulster title in recent years and have great hopes for the future.

We are now getting to a stage where we finally have a committed team of players working together in the senior setup due to this underage success.

I wish Kildare all the best. Longford are a good side who narrowly beat a strong Cavan team in the Hastings Cup final so they'll be a tough proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

As a regular follower but non-supporter of Kildare football I'd say they are a top 6 side. I just don't think they have the ability or mental strenght to go much further. However, I think this year they will improve again and I look forward to watching them in the championship. I don't think they'll go much further but they are a solid team and could prove me wrong. I think they could do with trimming a few players out of the first 15 such as Conway who would be more suited as a sub.

I've have serious doubts about whether they can beat Dublin. Surely that's playing in the back of their minds and the Dubs taking Kildare in the league is fairly significant. But maybe that hammering is something to remember in Croke Park in the Leinster Championship and for Kildare to get their own back.

Very true Eli Manning. Beating the Dubs could remove this team's mental block when it comes to the "big teams". Make no mistake about it, they are the team to beat at the moment, they are in flying form but as on Dublin fan has said to me, are they peaking too early?. But they have to lose sometime, right?

The thing with Conway is he just doesn't have the pace or work-rate required at county level. His constant mouthing at referees also counts against him. His free taking also can be hit and miss but Seanie has a sweet left boot so he will surely be on them from the right come the Summer.

I've been in agreement on the basic point all along. Where I disagree is your belief that this is Kildare people hyping up the team. I also think ranking teams is a pointless exercise that is best left to the likes of Brehony, Spillane and McGee when they run out of ideas for their insightful columns!

Is it that inaccurate if anyone rated Kildare as slightly higher than 7th or so? Take Mayo for example. They have taken the scalps of Dublin and Cork in 2011 and 2012 but the same group of players lost badly to Sligo and Longford as recently as 2010 and they needed extra time to escape from Ruislip not that long ago. Surely if you're using Kildare's defeats to Wicklow in 2008 and Louth in 2010 as a basis to down rate Kildare then we should use the same criteria to assess other counties. Have Tyrone done anything in the last two or three years to suggest that they're vastly superior to Kildare? I don't think so. I wouldn't have a problem with people who rated Kildare ahead of either of those counties. I wouldn't necessarily agree but I could see the basis for that argument.

I think everyone is behind Dublin with Donegal and Cork best placed to challenge. Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Kildare are probably all at a similar enough level in terms of their panel of players. A few injuries either way could go a long way to deciding things because I don't think there is a truly great team out there at the moment. Only Dublin have the potential to get to that level but they're still a bit off yet.

I am using the same criteria to assess other counties. Mayo have beaten Dublin and Cork in recent years in the Championship, two top sides.

Kildare haven't beaten any top side. Therefore have Mayo not accomplished more than Kildare? They also won a provincial title last year.

Kildare lost last year to a team relegated to Division 3 at the time and needed extra time to get past Division 4 Limerick.

Tyrone won the Ulster championship as recently as 2010. It generally takes a top side like Donegal, Dublin or Kerry to put them out of the championship.

I don't think Kildare have done enough to justify being rated ahead of either of those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I am using the same criteria to assess other counties. Mayo have beaten Dublin and Cork in recent years in the Championship, two top sides.

Kildare haven't beaten any top side. Therefore have Mayo not accomplished more than Kildare? They also won a provincial title last year.

Kildare lost last year to a team relegated to Division 3 at the time and needed extra time to get past Division 4 Limerick.

Tyrone won the Ulster championship as recently as 2010. It generally takes a top side like Donegal, Dublin or Kerry to put them out of the championship.

I don't think Kildare have done enough to justify being rated ahead of either of those counties.

You are like a broken record. You have had your say but do not know when to stop.

ronaneire wrote: »

You are like a broken record. You have had your say but do not know when to stop.

My posts started with me giving a two liner that a poster should come back to me when Kildare have beaten a top team in the Championship.

I was more than happy to leave it at that but I now have three or four posters questioning my view whom I'm replying to.

I'd be more than happy to leave my comments there but if they're being queried I'm going to reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My posts started with me giving a two liner that a poster should come back to me when Kildare have beaten a top team in the Championship.

I was more than happy to leave it at that but I now have three or four posters questioning my view whom I'm replying to.

I'd be more than happy to leave my comments there but if they're being queried I'm going to reply.

So if people don't query you.......got it;)

Good luck to the boys today. Tyrone will be tough to beat considering we are without our U21s and JD. Looking forward to seeing Callaghan back in action though. I reckon it will be a draw which will secure us a semi final spot.

I reckon ye will win - backed ye at 11/10

My accumulator for today.

Donegal to beat Mayo
    Clare to beat Carlow
    Fermanagh to beat Sligo
    Limerick to beat London
    Offaly to beat Waterford

€20 returns €254.10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Very true Eli Manning. Beating the Dubs could remove this team's mental block when it comes to the "big teams". Make no mistake about it, they are the team to beat at the moment, they are in flying form but as on Dublin fan has said to me, are they peaking too early?. But they have to lose sometime, right?QUOTE]

Happened last week and I would imagine that would be next week with us having nothing to play for with the semi final spot cemented and the fact that we are playing Donegal in Ballybofey and they need a win to be certain of staying up if especially if they fail to beat Mayo.I think we will rest a lot of key players.I wouldn't mind seeing the Ballymun lads back getting some intercounty game time under their belts and filling in for some injured players.Certainly

Best of luck against Tyrone today.Hopefully you will have a referee who will cut out the cynical fouling and off the ball antics that Tyrone seem to be delving into the past 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

My accumulator for today.

Donegal to beat Mayo
    Clare to beat Carlow
    Fermanagh to beat Sligo
    Limerick to beat London
    Offaly to beat Waterford

€20 returns €254.10

Jaysus London very nearly ruined it for you.

Jaysus London very nearly ruined it for you.
    A bit too close for comfort all right. Donegal down by 2 at HT to Mayo and Fermanagh losing by 1 against Sligo.

As I fear Kildare getting a pasting at against Tyrone. HT Kildare 0-3 1-8 Tyrone.

Poor show today. It shows how important the youngsters are to our prospects this year. At least we're guaranteed another game now to try and establish a settled midfield pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Poor show today. It shows how important the youngsters are to our prospects this year. At least we're guaranteed another game now to try and establish a settled midfield pairing.

Where were yiz done klairon ... middle of the park ?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Where were yiz done klairon ... middle of the park ?

All over the field really. Very lethargic and off the pace. We came into it once Hurley and Cribbin came on but the damage had been done. Without naming names, I think some players played themselves off the team today. It's a strange feeling to have qualified for the semi finals after such a poor display!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

All over the field really. Very lethargic and off the pace. We came into it once Hurley and Cribbin came on but the damage had been done. Without naming names, I think some players played themselves off the team today. It's a strange feeling to have qualified for the semi finals after such a poor display!

Yeah was quite surprised by the score .. well I'd be following it on the phone updates and as ya say there's small comfort in the fact that you got a bit of a foothold later on. I'd agree 100% with you regards midfield ... the team is seriously undermined without a stable pairing and while most teams have a weakness it's palpable in your set up and will be a big determining factor at the later stages of championship

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah was quite surprised by the score .. well I'd be following it on the phone updates and as ya say there's small comfort in the fact that you got a bit of a foothold later on. I'd agree 100% with you regards midfield ... the team is seriously undermined without a stable pairing and while most teams have a weakness it's palpable in your set up and will be a big determining factor at the later stages of championship

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the result today. Kildare were woeful but from nos 8 to 15 will look a lot different in the summer than they did at the start today. I think we will end up with two u21s starting at midfield for the seniors. O'Neill is more of a half forward and Lynch is not mobile enough. Hurley and Flynn would be an interesting pairing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Less of the inflammatory posts.
    If you have a problem with a post, simply report it and don't react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Have to agree with alot of the post we were poor today but look the work had been done before this match. I didnt see us winning today Tyrone are always hungar this time of year and it showed that today.
    It was two mistakes from bolton in the space of about a minute that had us down a goal and a point and we never recovered from there.
    Roli is being played out of position he should near the midfield running into the ball. our backs today seen them running up field to far and then wouldnt take a shot because they were looking around to pass the ball with 30 yards from the posts!!! whats that all about??
    Bringing cribben and hurley on did a huge improvement and that will stand to us in the championship.
    At least we a bringing on everyone and if they dont make it they have themselfs to blame.

Its not a bad week after all we are in a league semi final, we are in an U21 lenister final

• Advertisement

The draw for the first round of the county championships takes place on KFM tonight at 7.

Advertisement