Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He is not he's club delegate, your not making any sense why on earth would he have any control over how he's club decided to vote?

Bolton has been a mainstay in the Kildare set up for a number of years. of course he would have sway at club level and of course he would have made his feelings known to his club delegate when asked especially if he is going to come out and say that people who don't know what goes on are making decision.

While I think it is the right decision for Kildare the process is wrong.

I heard the chairman on the radio this morning saying he hasn't spoken to Mcgeeney since the vote...Did he find out the same way as everyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

AGC wrote: »
    Bolton has been a mainstay in the Kildare set up for a number of years. of course he would have sway at club level and of course he would have made his feelings known to his club delegate when asked especially if he is going to come out and say that people who don't know what goes on are making decision.

While I think it is the right decision for Kildare the process is wrong.

I heard the chairman on the radio this morning saying he hasn't spoken to Mcgeeney since the vote...Did he find out the same way as everyone else??

The clubs have got the hump with McGeaney as they maintain that he doesn't allow them enough acess to their county players, so no the club were not going to listen to him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

If Bolton feels so strongly he should really have made sure his own club would be in support of McGeeney

Ironic that Bolton feels so strongly about McGeeney alright, considering year on year the training seems to be disimproving his pace and agility.

His lack of speed particularly noticeable this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Bit dissappointed he's gone I hope we don't go back to the days of Crofton and nolan even mcgeeneys first game going up to see them against wicklow expecting a defeat he changed alot for the good.

I wonder would we be in the semi final this year if we took our chances against tyrone? Was that mcgeeneys fault too much emphasis on gym work and not practicing point kicking or was it down to the players on the day?
    I dont know I'm not in there doing the training.

The clubs have got the hump with McGeaney as they maintain that he doesn't allow them enough acess to their county players, so no the club were not going to listen to him at all.

Like 90% of counties at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

The simple fact of the matter is that managers are there to manage teams to win. McGeaney won nothing whatsoever in six years with Kildare so change is needed. It's not a question of whether it's the manager or the players, it's the fact that this combination of manager and players doesn't work. McGeaney might lift Sam with a different team or Kildare might lift Sam with a different manager - but the setup as it stood up to last night wasn't gonna change. I'm all on for loyalty etc but I think giving McGeaney the year just gone was as far as loyalty could stretch.

I hope the point is made in the players meeting that getting annoyed about McGeaney's sacking is fair enough and totally understandable but feeling sorry for him cos he's a nice guy is no reason to kick up over the whole situation.

Like 90% of counties at the minute

True, but from most counties I know, the clubs dont have the final say on a matter like this and tbh its not something the clubs who's main interest is not the county senior teams welfare should not have the power to decide, crazy system IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Is he living in Kerry? He is working in Dublin. Does a lot of plumbing for Dublin corporation housing..

I'm a plumber by trade I remember being stars truck talking to him about his career he is a magnificent person if we could get someone like him it would be huge for the county especially as he has knowledge of leixlip.. And Kildare to a football to a certain degree

No he moved back to Kerry a good few years ago now.

The simple fact of the matter is that managers are there to manage teams to win. McGeaney won nothing whatsoever in six years with Kildare so change is needed.

He did win the league last year and the o byrne cup twice not major honours but not to be sniffed at either, I enjoyed those days when we won them.
    Remember too we've won 2 leinster titles since 1956 I don't get this he won nothing, we don't win anything anyway.

I hope we just bring in someone who brings us forward maybe someone from kerry get them back flying fit and kicking ball.

mightyreds wrote: »
    He did win the league last year and the o byrne cup twice not major honours but not to be sniffed at either, I enjoyed those days when we won them.
    Remember too we've won 2 leinster titles since 1956 I don't get this he won nothing, we don't win anything anyway.

I hope we just bring in someone who brings us forward maybe someone from kerry get them back flying fit and kicking ball.

Apologies, I was speaking purely in terms of the Championship, I didn't clarify that...really should use that 'Preview post' button a bit more often... :) *previews post*

• Advertisement

Apologies, I was speaking purely in terms of the Championship, I didn't clarify that...really should use that 'Preview post' button a bit more often... :) *previews post*

Cant on the auld android! No preview post button couldn't get the quotes right on it came up as one big quote was terrible!

mightyreds wrote: »
    Cant on the auld android! No preview post button couldn't get the quotes right on it came up as one big quote was terrible!

Lol I meant I should use the preview post button more often, not you... :D

Lol I meant I should use the preview post button more often, not you... :D

Ha ha I thought it showed up on the full site that I'd edited it about 5 times ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

poor decision. i dont think the fans wanted it either. very little talk of wanting him gone after defeat to Tyrone this year. Point is the team has not got the outstanding players that is needed to get to AI final/semi at the moment. he did extremely well with the team he had IMO - probably better than they were capable. Welcome to the doldrums kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

kencoo wrote: »
    poor decision. i dont think the fans wanted it either. very little talk of wanting him gone after defeat to Tyrone this year. Point is the team has not got the outstanding players that is needed to get to AI final/semi at the moment. he did extremely well with the team he had IMO - probably better than they were capable. Welcome to the doldrums kildare.

We never left the doldrums!
    I see Cian O Neill has ruled himself out of the job, real shame that, would have been the correct choice to fill the role. By the looks of things its open to anyone at this stage. I'd like to see a person with a bit more experience than McGeeney had coming in, someone who has managed teams to play in All Ireland finals. I always felt Geezer was slow on the line in regard to tactics and making necessary changes. Cork last year in the quarter final, poor choice of substitutes. Dublin in the league and champ this year, going man for man with a team that strong is tactical suicide IMO. As I've said in previous posts, a lot of that panel need to be cleared out. A lot of them are not up to it at all and it can be seen not only in inter county games, but also at club level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

We never left the doldrums!
    I see Cian O Neill has ruled himself out of the job, real shame that, would have been the correct choice to fill the role. By the looks of things its open to anyone at this stage. I'd like to see a person with a bit more experience than McGeeney had coming in, someone who has managed teams to play in All Ireland finals. I always felt Geezer was slow on the line in regard to tactics and making necessary changes. Cork last year in the quarter final, poor choice of substitutes. Dublin in the league and champ this year, going man for man with a team that strong is tactical suicide IMO. As I've said in previous posts, a lot of that panel need to be cleared out. A lot of them are not up to it at all and it can be seen not only in inter county games, but also at club level!
    Are you talking about your own lads here? The Larries seem to be in serious decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

BNMC wrote: »
    Are you talking about your own lads here? The Larries seem to be in serious decline.

No, i'm not talking about fellow club men. I've seen some brilliant footballers around both south and north of the county that are better than SOME of the current lot on the Kildare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Managers get too much credit and too much blame
    From where we were when he took over to where we are now,he did a good job.
    He certainly brought intensity,bulked them up and they were incredibly fit.
    What he lacked was the tactical head required for quick thinking on the line.
    There was no plan b and it seemed there was a staleness the past year.
    Its also true that many of the players were too friendly with him,hence their upset at this news.
    They bought into the myth of McGeeney,the fresh fruit,benching so much,animal in the gym,training in sbg etc.The man is clearly a leader of men as evidenced by his playing days and his time in Kildare but is he a manager of men?
    Callaghans comments were ott.If said players scored a few more points then he would still be here.
    "ashamed" well then hand back the armband and retire.
    Hurt as they were,sometimes players cant see the wood from the trees.
    Thanks Kieran for 6 interesting years and a few great days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

I spoke to a lot of people since the Tyrone defeat and the vast majority wanted McGeeney out. The team has gone backwards big time. Ignore the league because it is only the championship that matters and that has been poor for the last two years. We played three tier one teams in the last two years, Tyrone, Dublin and Cork - two of those hammered us and the other beat us in Newbridge. I cannot see what all the fuss is about - he had to go! If certain players are not happy then they need to consider their futures as well while McGeeney will pick up another job but they will always be Kildare men.
    McGeeney was an unlucky manager between injuries and bad decisions but he has had enough time.

True, but from most counties I know, the clubs dont have the final say on a matter like this and tbh its not something the clubs who's main interest is not the county senior teams welfare should not have the power to decide, crazy system IMO.

Fully agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

interesting reading ..
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/09/05/way-voting-went/

Of the 11 clubs represented by Kildare’s starting 15 in their All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Tyrone this summer, six (St Laurence’s, Athy, Two Mile House, Celbridge, Eadestown, Clane) voted against McGeeney while four (Naas, Carbury, Johnstownbridge, Allenwood) voted in favour.

lucylu wrote: »
    interesting reading ..
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/09/05/way-voting-went/

Of the 11 clubs represented by Kildare’s starting 15 in their All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Tyrone this summer, six (St Laurence’s, Athy, Two Mile House, Celbridge, Eadestown, Clane) voted against McGeeney while four (Naas, Carbury, Johnstownbridge, Allenwood) voted in favour.

It's clearly a case that these clubs were fed up about the unavailability of players for club fixtures and I cannot blame them for taking that stance. The nettle should have been grasped long ago by the county board by sitting down with McGeeney and the club delegates and hammering out some sort of arrangement over access to players.

Some were hinting at some north/south division in the county but the list of clubs does not bear that out - Celbridge, Clane, Confey, Leixlip, Manynooth all voted against the motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

JTB voting in favour goes against the grain however as they were by far the worst affected given their small playing pool in comparison to the likes of Laurence's and Sarsfields. My own club used to struggle badly when they had two players on the county panel but they voted in favour too.

The next manager will seek to impose the same restrictions on player availability regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Sarsfields voted no while Moorefield sat on the fence and didn't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Sarsfields voted no while Moorefield sat on the fence and didn't vote.

A Moorefield vote was crucial. Wonder by they didn't bother?

I heard Moorefield could not reach an agreement on which way to go so they decided to sit it out.

Whoever is the manager next year needs to work with the clubs. If the county board have to lay down the law, so be it. The problem was that McGeeney had too much power over the board. That situation should never have been allowed develop. McGeeney can't be blamed for it either. He was only looking after his own best interests. The board were too willing to go over the heads of the clubs in the last few years and the chickens came home to roost on Tuesday. County panelists should be available for club league fixtures where practical- if they don't feature in national league fixtures for instance. Clubs should also have access to their players for a set period before club championship games. None of this rubbish of there being a county training camp the weekend before a round of club championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Spot on Klairondavis. The most sensible post I've read so far. Was it last year it was agreed that county players would not be available for any club league games? That was a crazy decision. The whole Seanie affair was another nail in McGeeney's coffin.

Anyway, time to move on now, he can't come back at this stage as it would do more harm that good IMO. Supporters and players need to accept this for the betterment of Kildare football.

The big question now is will Kill stay up? :P

Was it last year it was agreed that county players would not be available for any club league games? That was a crazy decision.

Pretty standard in an awful lot of counties, in fact in Tipp county players are not eligible for the county league, makes perfect sense tbh, nothing to be gained from them playing league games.

Spot on Klairondavis. The most sensible post I've read so far. Was it last year it was agreed that county players would not be available for any club league games? That was a crazy decision. The whole Seanie affair was another nail in McGeeney's coffin.

Anyway, time to move on now, he can't come back at this stage as it would do more harm that good IMO. Supporters and players need to accept this for the betterment of Kildare football.

The big question now is will Kill stay up? :P

I hope so! Junior is a hellish championship to get out of.

Kilcullen were well beaten by Nurney so I think we have a good chance but it will need a better performance than we have seen so far.

• Advertisement

Pretty standard in an awful lot of counties, in fact in Tipp county players are not eligible for the county league, makes perfect sense tbh, nothing to be gained from them playing league games.

I wouldn't expect players who play in the national league fixtures to be available but Kildare have carried huge panels recently, senior and junior. Players who only saw limited action with the county senior team in the league still did not feature for their clubs on certain weekends because they were playing challenge matches for the juniors or in house training games against the u21s.

I don't think it's unreasonable for players to be made available the week before club championship games either. Scheduling training camps and challenge games the weekend before a round of club championship really is giving two fingers to the clubs preparing for their most important games of the year. There's a happy medium there somewhere but our county board never attempted to find that balance.

Advertisement