Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I wouldn't expect players who play in the national league fixtures to be available but Kildare have carried huge panels recently, senior and junior. Players who only saw limited action with the county senior team in the league still did not feature for their clubs on certain weekends because they were playing challenge matches for the juniors or in house training games against the u21s.

I don't think it's unreasonable for players to be made available the week before club championship games either. Scheduling training camps and challenge games the weekend before a round of club championship really is giving two fingers to the clubs preparing for their most important games of the year. There's a happy medium there somewhere but our county board never attempted to find that balance.

Fully agree with the second point but surely to god the county boards fixture committee should establish with Mcgeaney at the start of the year if there any weekends he needs to have free and they come to an agreement - why is McGeanet being blamed for this when its as much the county board fixture committee's fault?

Every single county team have these training camps and you can be pretty sure the new man will have them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Fully agree with the second point but surely to god the county boards fixture committee should establish with Mcgeaney at the start of the year if there any weekends he needs to have free and they come to an agreement - why is McGeanet being blamed for this when its as much the county board fixture committee's fault?

Every single county team have these training camps and you can be pretty sure the new man will have them aswell.

Agreed it's not McGeeney's fault. The responsibility to ensure that the clubs get decent access to their players is down to the county board and they failed the clubs who elected them. No problem with having these training camps but just not on the weekend before the club championship starts.

We had a situation this year where the county lads were available for certain league fixtures but many club managers chose not to play them because they had such a heavy training schedule with the county:
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/04/29/moores-start-without-county-men-after-hectic-week-with-kildare/

What happened on Tuesday night is the consequence of this situation being allowed to fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

All the Dubs fans will miss his "happy face"

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Well the players have issued a joint statement requesting his reinstatement. So they aren't letting it go without a fight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

its been a funny last few days, I'm listening to kfm and things seem to be turning in the favour of having mcgeeney back as manager.
    club Kildare reckons that mcgeeney is the man who got bradys family ham on board and does endless fund raising for the team.
    that's all fine and he is a great man for getting all of that but he must of taking his eye off the ball with the performance of the team the last few years. The style we play now is desperately poor from the way we were in 09 and 10. That's my problem with him.
    maybe give him a job as director of football in the county and let him go around doing all the fundraising but I don't think he's cut out to mange the senior team in regards to a plan b when you come up against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

What mandate have the kildare players?,surely when they exited the last competition they were involved in the panel was automatically dissolved and the new panel not in place until the manager either KMcG.or an other called them for training.
    Who is to say the ringleaders would not be included for 2014 campaign?

What mandate have the kildare players?,surely when they exited the last competition they were involved in the panel was automatically dissolved and the new panel not in place until the manager either KMcG.or an other called them for training.
    Who is to say the ringleaders would not be included for 2014 campaign?

Ringleaders? It seems absolutely 100% unanimous to me, I do get your point re. last years squad effectively having been disolved but I have seen no evidence of any ringleaders or senior players pulling rank.

Looks like Kildare G.A.A have acted quickly and appointed a committee to find a new manager,i reckon they will have it in writing in the new contract about club access for this new manager.
    he who pays the piper and all that..

Looks like Kildare G.A.A have acted quickly and appointed a committee to find a new manager,i reckon they will have it in writing in the new contract about club access for this new manager.
    he who pays the piper and all that..

This is the thing that gets me though and I know Im starting to sound like a broken record, but if they can form a committee to find a new manager then surely that is the correct protocol that should have been used for deciding McGeaney's future?

Why not let the clubs vote for who they want as the new manager, consistency and all that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

The committee will probably make a recommendation to the county board to ratify. The KCB may then put that to the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Why replace a manager who consistently has Kildare in the top 8 teams in the country?
    Every team should be aiming for top 8. :eek:

Buck65,

Who were runners up in the 2005 final?
    i don't know.
    But i know alot more people will remember who won than who came second.
    Top 8 is no different than the top 32.
    No 1. is all that counts in Sport.

Buck65,

Who were runners up in the 2005 final?
    i don't know.
    But i know alot more people will remember who won than who came second.
    Top 8 is no different than the top 32.
    No 1. is all that counts in Sport.

But there isn't a manger in the country, fcuk there hasn't been a manger born yet that would have won an AI with Kildare during McGeaney's reign, if we were to use your logic there should be 31 managers sacked at the end of every season :rolleyes:

Premierstone,

Let me explain myself again settling for a top 8 is no different than settling for a mid 32.
    No. 1 is all that counts and thats what should be aimed for not a top 8.
    I think it is a term borrowed from soccer where they reward the top 4 etc.
    I don't believe a Manager should be sacked willy- nilly.
    However the Kildare Players should store KMcG's. input and not forget it and maybe get that 5% difference from a different Manager,its not bad what is the new manger going to do bring them to Abbrakebra 6 nights a week and train once a fortnight?
    Nobody ever said KMcG was a bad Manager,like Race horses moving to a different yard, that 5% is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

But there isn't a manger in the country, fcuk there hasn't been a manger born yet that would have won an AI with Kildare during McGeaney's reign, if we were to use your logic there should be 31 managers sacked at the end of every season :rolleyes:

McGeeney hasnt exactly come cheap and not a Leinster title to show for it.
    The time was right for a new voice

Premierstone,

Let me explain myself again settling for a top 8 is no different than settling for a mid 32.
    No. 1 is all that counts and thats what should be aimed for not a top 8.
    I think it is a term borrowed from soccer where they reward the top 4 etc.
    I don't believe a Manager should be sacked willy- nilly.
    However the Kildare Players should store KMcG's. input and not forget it and maybe get that 5% difference from a different Manager,its not bad what is the new manger going to do bring them to Abbrakebra 6 nights a week and train once a fortnight?
    Nobody ever said KMcG was a bad Manager,like Race horses moving to a different yard, that 5% is found.
    raven136 wrote: »

Time will tell I guess, but lets just say that none of the names I have seen mentioned will improve things IMO and I take no satisfaction in predicting that Kildare will regret this massively, interesting times ahead no doubt!

raven136 wrote: »

club Kildare said today on radio when the "receiver" from croke park came down to look at the books he found that the seniors spent 10% less than the average to fund themselfs.
    so it doesn't look like mcgeeney cost us a fortune. This is the money that has to be spent in trying to compete for the big prizes.

Sat 07 Sep
    Reserve E Championship Final
    Venue: Kilcullen, Raheens v Castlemitchell 16.00, Ref:

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Qtr Finals
    Venue Hawkfield Ellistown v Ballyteague @18.00 Ref:
    Venue Allenwood Johnstownbridge v Caragh @18.00 Ref:
    Venue Kilcullen Raheens v Castledermot @18.00 Ref:
    Venue Hawkfield Kilcock v Round Towers @19.30 Ref:

Reserve A Championship Final,
    Venue: St Conleths Park Celbridge v St Laurences @16.00, Ref:

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Qtr Final
    Venue St Conleths Park Newbridge Athy v Celbridge @18.00, Ref:

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Relegation Semi-Final
    At Sarsfields Ballymore v Carbury @18.00 Ref:

Sun 08 Sep
    Please Note Both games to start at the same time
    Senior Hurling Championship, Round 5, Venue: Leixlip, Naas V Celbridge @11.00, Ref: TBC
    Senior Hurling Championship, Round 5, Venue: Clane , Ardclough V Coill Dubh @ 11.00, Ref: TBC

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Qtr Final
    Venue St Conleths Park Newbridge Confey v Sarsfields @12.00 Ref:
    Venue St Conleths Park Newbridge Moorefield v Clane @18.00 Ref:

Tue 10 Sep
    Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Relegation Semi- Final @19.45
    At Hawkfield St Kevins v Suncroft @19.45 Ref:

Great to have some club championship action this weekend. It turns out the sky did not fall in on Tuesday night. I'll go for Ellistown, JTB, Raheens and Towers in the IFC. Athy, Moorefield and Confey to cause a bit of a shock in the SFC. Carbury and Kevins should win the relegation playoffs. Celbridge and Ardclough in the SHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

Sat 07 Sep
    St Conleths Park Newbridge Confey v Sarsfields @12.00 Ref:

Have a feeling Confey will win this, going very well.

• Advertisement

Have a feeling Confey will win this, going very well.

The Sash are a lot weaker than last year. Chalky and Matty Byrne abroad and no Dermot Earley to replace them. Confey don't have any superstars but Quinn seems to have them really well organised.

Joe Mallon Renault SFC:
    Athy 0-10 Celbridge 1-6.

Relegation semi final:
    Ballymore Eustace 1-6 Carbury 0-17

Joe Fox IFC quarter final:
    Ellistown 0-12 Ballyteague 1-9
    Johnstownbridge 3-16 Caragh 0-4
    Raheens 1-8 Castledermot 1-10
    Kilcock 1-8 Round Towers 0-9

Reserve ‘A’ FC final:
    St. Laurence’s 2-7 Celbridge 0-8

Reserve ‘E’ FC final:
    Raheens 3-12 Castlemitchell 1-6

Athy really had to tough it out against Celbridge. Took a late Mulhall 45 to win it.

JTB look very strong this year and will probably be happy to see Towers out of the way. Great result for Castledermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Joe Mallon Renault SFC:
    Athy 0-10 Celbridge 1-6.

Relegation semi final:
    Ballymore Eustace 1-6 Carbury 0-17

Joe Fox IFC quarter final:
    Ellistown 0-12 Ballyteague 1-9
    Johnstownbridge 3-16 Caragh 0-4
    Raheens 1-8 Castledermot 1-10
    Kilcock 1-8 Round Towers 0-9

Reserve ‘A’ FC final:
    St. Laurence’s 2-7 Celbridge 0-8

Reserve ‘E’ FC final:
    Raheens 3-12 Castlemitchell 1-6

Athy really had to tough it out against Celbridge. Took a late Mulhall 45 to win it.

JTB look very strong this year and will probably be happy to see Towers out of the way. Great result for Castledermot.

Delighted for Towers, I can't see past JTB now myself barring a major cock up on their part. A Leinster campaign however might not be ideal for a lot of their players who have played a colossal amount of football in the past year.
    Ellistown are without Ken Donnelly whose knee has gone again unfortunately and is a massive loss.

Sarsfields will be bet in the morning they have no mid field at the moment and confey are flying this year bit unlucky not to beat Moorefield in the division 1 final.
    So hope off confey at 15\8 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Hope nobody took your advice roy! Going by the updates on Twitter, they were very lucky to win, Confey will be kicking themselves. Athy very lucky yesterday too.

SHC
    Celbridge 0-19 Naas 1-9
    Coill Dubh 3-10 Ardclough 1-8

SFC
    Sarsfields 2-15 Confey 2-14

Sash v Confey sounds like a cracker. I can't see Sarsfields beating Athy or Moorefield this year but the form book would go out the window if there was a Newbridge derby.

BNMC wrote: »
    Hope nobody took your advice roy! Going by the updates on Twitter, they were very lucky to win, Confey will be kicking themselves. Athy very lucky yesterday too.

I'm a sash myself bnmc so delighted with the result but my pockets are no better off.
    sashfields played well today so things are on the up.
    just need clans to win now..

Moorefield 1-15 clane 2-12. Replay will during the week. Big Thomas o Connor got a high ball into him to level the match in the dying seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What's the story with the next round, have dates/pairings been released ot will they wait til after the replay btw Moorefield and Clane?

• Advertisement

The draw is next week after the maynooth and naas quarter final so I believe.

Advertisement