Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The replay is on at 8:15 on Friday night in Hawkfield.

Maynooth v Naas is at 5 on Sunday in Newbridge.

Moorefield won the replay by 8 points last night.

Best of luck to the Kildare u21 hurlers in their All Ireland final this evening. It would be a great boost for hurling in the county if they could bring home an All Ireland title.

Kildare teamlist to face Kerry:
    1. Paddy McKenna Claonadh
    2. Shane O'Flynn Cill Droichid
    3. Cian Farrell Coill Dubh
    4. Conor Gordon Coill Dubh
    5. Kevin Murphy Cill Droichid
    6. Declan Flaherty Coill Dubh
    7. Kevin Connor Éire Óg/Corrachoill
    8. Paul Kennedy Éire Óg/Corrachoill
    9. Jonathan Byrne Coill Dubh
    10. Niall Kenny Cill Droichid
    11. Fergal Conway Cill Droichid
    12. Mark Delaney (Capt.) Coill Dubh
    13. Ryan Casey Coill Dubh
    14. Gerry Keegan Cill Droichid
    15. Evan Dempsey Éire Óg /Corrachoill

16. Shane Nolan Maigh Nuad
    17. Eoghan Doddy Cill Droichid
    18. Declan Keane Cill Choca
    19. Paul Clifford Éire Óg /Corrachoill
    20. Cathal Egan Claonadh
    21. Gary Johnson Éire Óg /Corrachoill
    22. Seán O'Rourke Claonadh
    23. Liam McDonagh Cill Droichid
    24. Hugh Giffney Claonadh
    25. Seán Bean Maigh Nuad
    26. Ronan Byrne Cill Droichid
    27. Conor Nolan Maigh Nuad
    28. Paul Kelly Cill Droichid
    29. Shane Ryan Claonadh

Management : Noel McMahon (Cill Droichid), Paul Dermody (Éire Óg/Corrachoill)

A sickening way to lose an All Ireland Final. Hard luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I don't follow hurling at all, but with the exception of the solitary Kilcock man on the bench, the squad is a mix of just 5 clubs. Surely there are a few other clubs producing decent hurlers??

• Advertisement

I don't follow hurling at all, but with the exception of the solitary Kilcock man on the bench, the squad is a mix of just 5 clubs. Surely there are a few other clubs producing decent hurlers??

Naas would have had 5 or 6 starting but they were pulled out of the Leinster semi final because they had a championship match that weekend. McMahon did not invite them back afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Terrible ending, the only reason Kildare didn't get a penalty at the end was the ref didn't want to give them another one, especially as they were winning, even though there were 2 fouls
    Naas would have had 5 or 6 starting but they were pulled out of the Leinster semi final because they had a championship match that weekend. McMahon did not invite them back afterwards.

No Ardclough players either, any reason?

goose2005 wrote: »
    No Ardclough players either, any reason?

None as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Goose2005, Only really one player on the age who was unavailable for the panel through work committments. Having seen the game while agreeing that Niall Kenny was fouled, this was not why this game was lost. An over indulgence in going for goals while not taking their points was the major issue. I thought the full back line was very poor and gave away too space. Anytime you concede 19 points you will struggle to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Sarsfields v naas
    Moorefield v athy.
    Semi finals of the championship

• Advertisement

Club Football Championship Semi Final Draws:
    Senior: Sarsfields vs Naas, Athy vs Moorefield
    Intermediate: JTB vs Ellistown, Castledermot vs Kilcock
    Junior: Castlemitchell vs Straffan, Two Mile House vs Milltown
    Minor A: Winners of Sarsfields/Kilcock vs Winners of Athy/Round Towers, Winners of Maynooth/Two Mile House vs Winners of Naas/Celbridge
    Minor B: Confey vs Rathangan, Clane vs Monasterevan
    Minor C: Sallins vs Robertstown, St. Kevins vs Naas

Club Hurling Championship Semi Final Draw:
    Éire Óg/CC vs Coill Dubh, Ardclough vs Celbridge

Sarsfields v naas
    Moorefield v athy.

Winners should come from the second tie and I think Athy have a bit more football in them than Moorefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Moorefield v Athy will be close but I think Athy will have to much fire power up front. Sarsfields should beat Naas.

Johnstownbridge will beat Ellistown. Kilcock v Castledermot is a tough one to call, Castledermot to sneak it.

Two Mile House will beat Castlemitchell and Straffan will have no trouble in beating Milltown.

Suncroft and Kilcullen will be relegated.

Also, well done to the Camogie team. They beat Laois today to win the Junior All Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Sarsfields v naas
    Moorefield v athy.

I think it should be an open draw at semi final stage. I predict Moorefield to win it outright. I'm impressed by their consistency this year apart from maybe the drawn QF game against Clane.

Chalky white is back for sarsfields and Dermot early is also back in training but won't ready for another few weeks.
    So sarsfields should be able to sort out there mid field problem having them big players back in.
    Athy could do the good deed and beat Moorefield,should be a good game. But there is weakness within the athy team and if Moorefield expose that they will be punished.
    But hopefully athy will send the moors back to the curragh where they belong and out of new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Any dates for the games yet?

Rushden wrote: »
    Any dates for the games yet?
    I Believe the semi final are on the 29th with the final on the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Hi Guys,

Re Geeney, I though an executive committee were to come back last week with a follow on statement re his dismissal. Its all gone quiet now and dont know if a statement was actually made but does that mean its the end of the matter and actually looking for a manager?

kencoo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Re Geeney, I though an executive committee were to come back last week with a follow on statement re his dismissal. Its all gone quiet now and dont know if a statement was actually made but does that mean its the end of the matter and actually looking for a manager?

It was over once the votes were cast. There was never a chance of going back.

It has been pushed off the back pages by the coverage of the finals which is no bad thing. Enough of Kildare's dirty laundry has been washed in public in recent times. There's bound to be work going on behind closed doors to secure a new manager.

• Advertisement

Spoke too soon! McGeeney has released a statement. Best of luck to him in the future.
    Kieran McGeeney Statement
    In order to draw a line under the last few weeks I feel it is in the best interests of Kildare football to release a statement so everybody can move on and get things in place for next year.

I would like to thank everybody who has helped me over the last few years.

A special thanks to all the people who have worked tirelessly in the back ground especially Julie Davis, Hugh Campbell, Tom Murphy, Danno Keely and Morgan O'Callaghan. To those that stood on the sideline with me, Jason, Damien, Niall, John, Aidan and Paul, I have learned so much from all your input as have the players with whom you worked. To the medical staff , Danny, Noel and David who have worked so hard to keep the players on the pitch and in a healthy frame of mind I thank you for all your hard work. Thank you to all.

A special mention for all the people in Club Kildare, especially Pat, Dermot and June, who put in so many hours behind the scenes .They raised valuable funds in such a difficult economic time. Your help will never be forgotten by the players or the management.

To the supporters it has been an absolute pleasure to be part of this journey over the last six years. Thank you for all your support both in the good days and the bad, your passion for football has been matched only by your generosity and kindness towards the whole Kildare county set up. To the clubs I would like to say thanks for all your support and your work in developing the young (and not so young )players so that they were in a position to line out for their county and proudly represent their clubs.

Finally, I want to emphasise to all the players that it has been an honour to stand beside you and to work with you. Although we never got the silver ware we hoped for I know that it was not for the lack of effort or desire. There has been a lot of changes over the last twelve months and I really believe with the emergence of new talent alongside the experience and ability that exists in the squad means its only a matter of time before Kildare achieve what they have been working towards.

Ní neart go cur le chéile

Kieran Mc Geeney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He was supposed to be on Second Captains tonight too but pulled out

Nice touch of class from him. Best of luck to Kieran in the future. I've no doubt he will one day manage an All Ireland winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Reading Kieran's statement I'm sad to see him go strangely.. It's not just about silverware for me it's the county coming together to play on the big stage.. Can geezers passion be easily replaced?? Surely one or two of the counties figureheads like big Glenn can get the most out of our lads if Kieran is absolutely gone..

He showed so much class there

Thanks for everything kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

BNMC wrote: »
    Nice touch of class from him. Best of luck to Kieran in the future. I've no doubt he will one day manage an All Ireland winning team.

I have always thought it was the right time for him to go but done in the wrong manner.

He has come out of it well with that statement though. The Kildare County Board should take note

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Fair play to KM. Would have been so easy and understandable for him to coming out firing. No wonder the player thought so much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is the statement not a bit late though? When he initially went there were talks of player revolts etc. and he said nothing.

Now that's been dropped and everything has died down he's come out with this statement.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is the statement not a bit late though? When he initially went there were talks of player revolts etc. and he said nothing.

Now that's been dropped and everything has died down he's come out with this statement.
    Do you not think he was in communication with the players during all this? I'm pretty sure he was, he was probably the first man to tell the to move on and give their all for the new manager whoever he may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

BNMC wrote: »
    Do you not think he was in communication with the players during all this? I'm pretty sure he was, he was probably the first man to tell the to move on and give their all for the new manager whoever he may be.

Maybe he was but it just seems that his support ended in a damp squib tbh. Everything just died down after the initial couple of days.

I'm not in the county and I'm sure there was plenty of chat about it but nationally the story just basically ended.

• Advertisement

The media were probably hoping for all sorts (strike, McGeeney ranting, etc) but since none of this materialized they weren't bothered.

Time to move on now..

Advertisement