Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lemlin wrote: »
    Maybe he was but it just seems that his support ended in a damp squib tbh.

To be fair I never heard of him trying to drum up support. I'd say he did little to destabilise the camp, once they wanted him out I'd say he was never going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Saturday 28th Sept
    Joe Fox Intermediate Football Championship Relegation Final
    At Sallins Kill v Kilcullen @2.30

Sunday 29th Sept
    Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football C/Ship Semi Finals
    At St Conleths Park
    Sarsfields v Naas @2.30
    Athy v Moorefield @4.15

Intermediate B Hurling Final
    At Hawkfield St Laurences v Confey @1.00

Friday 27th to Sunday 29th September, Minor A & C Football C/Ship Semi-finals

Friday 4th Oct
    Tom Cross Junior Football C/Ship Semi Final
    At Hawkfield Two Mile House v Milltown @7.45

Saturday 5th Oct
    At St Conleths Park
    Minor B Football C/Ship Final @2.15
    Joe Fox Intermediate Football C/Ship Final @4.00

At Hawkfield Tom Cross Junior Football C/Ship Semi Final
    Castlemitchell v Straffan @7.00

Sunday 6th Oct
    At St Conleths Park
    Intermediate A Hurling Final
    Senior Hurling Final

Sunday 13th Oct
    At St Conleths Park
    Minor A Football C/Ship Final
    Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football C/Ship Final

Sat 19th October
    At St Conleths Park
    Minor C Football C/Ship Final
    Tom Cross Junior Football C/Ship Final

Interesting interview with Johnny Doyle and Eamonn Callaghan on KFM this morning. They spoke very well.

The main points:

- The players are very disappointed with the way the process was conducted.
    - McGeeney was hugely popular among the panel of players.
    - The players would like to engage with the county board as to how this process should be handled in future.
    - The players would like to have some sort of input into the selection process of the next manager.
    - The next manager will have 100% commitment from the panel of players no matter who they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thought ye would be interested.

Confey won the All Ireland Intermediate Football Sevens tournament in Ratoath this evening. They beat Claudy of Derry in the final by 1-8 to 9 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

JTB and Castledermot through to the Intermediate final, JTB will be favourites after hammering Ellistown but Castledermot have battled through 2 tough games with Raheens and Kilcock, does anyone know if Daniel Flynn will be back for the final?

• Advertisement

Castledermot have made great strides over the last few years but I don't think they will beat JTB. You would fancy them to beat most senior teams at the moment the form they are in. Ballymore beat Suncroft in the relegation playoff this evening. Suncroft might find it hard to get back to senior any time soon. Anthony Rainbow retired after the match tonight.

Good to hear that the Kildare clubs did well in the 7s tournaments. Leixlip and Celbridge made the quarter finals and I heard Carbury were unlucky to lost the semi final. That's a deserved success for Confey in Ratoath after coming so close to the league title and to knocking out Sarsfields in the championship. Ronan Quinn has done a great job there.

Éire Óg/CC and Celbridge will contest the senior hurling final in a fortnight's time after coming through their semi finals today. Hard to look past Celbridge but Éire Óg have had a great year after a long time in the wilderness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Killian Brennan also played his last game for Suncroft yesterday. A bad day for them and as Klairondavis said, they won't find it easy in getting back up. They are in Division 3 next year which won't help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fullback3

Lads, is there anywhere i could see a list of kildare club transfers over the last 4 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Good to hear that the Kildare clubs did well in the 7s tournaments. Leixlip and Celbridge made the quarter finals and I heard Carbury were unlucky to lost the semi final. That's a deserved success for Confey in Ratoath after coming so close to the league title and to knocking out Sarsfields in the championship. Ronan Quinn has done a great job there.
    I was a volunteer on their pitch in the group stages and they destroyed all in front of them. As far as I know the only close game they had was in the final.
    Hugh Lynch was immense throughout the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

fullback3 wrote: »
    Lads, is there anywhere i could see a list of kildare club transfers over the last 4 years.

You can get them on the GAA website

• Advertisement

McMahon met up with Glenn Ryan yesterday according to Ger McNally in the Nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

McMahon met up with Glenn Ryan yesterday according to Ger McNally in the Nationalist.

I'm not sure about Glenn to be honest might be a bit early for him to take the job,i thought he was doing a great job tipping along with longford. I always thought and still think Jason Ryan should be given a shot.

Jason Ryan doesn't want to commit to a management role at the moment and I understand that he has rejected the advances of a number of counties.

Neglected to add that he has his eyes on the Waterford hurling job in the long term, just maybe not this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

tossy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Glenn to be honest might be a bit early for him to take the job,i thought he was doing a great job tipping along with longford. I always thought and still think Jason Ryan should be given a shot.
    Glenn has had a lot more experience than when McGeeney took over and he did a very good job.

I wouldn't have a problem with Glenn getting the job but the funds must be made available to him that McGeeney had.

Kevin McStay has been whispered about, would be a great choice for the job if he could bring Liam McHale with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Kevin McStay would be a great man for the job. He leaves nothing to chance, and that was reflected in the club All-Ireland Championships this year. Ryan's passion for Kildare can't be doubted, but his time at Longford was fairly underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

His time at Longford was actually pretty excellent - what were you expecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

keane2097 wrote: »
    His time at Longford was actually pretty excellent - what were you expecting!

+1 on this. The only thing you could say negatively about his time in Longford is that he stayed a year too long but that's really clutching. He done a phenomenal job in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Excellent?! A victory over a poor enough Mayo team aside, three years ago, he left them in Division 3.

Defeats to Wicklow, Wexford, Louth, and Laois are about where you would expect Longford to be in Leinster. Never got them past the second round of the qualifiers.

Considering they have gotten past round 2 at least twice in the last decade, that I can remember, you might have expected a bit more from them. Certainly not excellent anyway!

• Advertisement

They had wins against Derry and Laois also in championship who would be considered stronger counties. From a Kildare point of view I would look at his time with the u21s in 2008 when they reached an All Ireland final and lost to a Tommy Walsh inspired Kerry.

Glenn is a pragmatist and it would not surprise me if he had significant reservations about taking the job. It has become something of a poisoned chalice such is the fallout after McGeeney's ousting and whoever takes it will need plenty of persuading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I wouldn't be 100% sure about Glenn either, not intending to be disrespectful to him.

Regarding his time at Longford, it is easier to take any poor team and make them decent.

It is harder to take any very good team (Kildare) and make them excellent.

Well, there goes that idea!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/exskipper-glenn-ryan-out-of-running-for-lilywhites-job-29608081.html
    Glenn Ryan will not be making himself available to be the next Kildare football manager, the Irish Independent understands.

Ryan met with county chairman John McMahon on Monday morning, but it is believed that he is not a candidate to replace Kieran McGeeney.

The Leinster championship-winning captain in 1998 and 2000 was not offered the position at the meeting, which was a discussion on where exactly he stood in relation to the job.

He said that he didn't "know whether I would be or not" when asked about his potential interest. He has, of course, recently stepped down as Longford manager.

Kildare are hoping to put a proposal to the county board meeting on Tuesday night and Jason Ryan now appears to be the favourite.

That just appears to be the Independent's interpretation of the quote that they have lifted straight from McNally's article. No real solid sources or evidence apart from 'the Irish Independent understands'.

A lot of cards being held close to chests at the moment which could be either a positive or a negative thing. If the local press are accurate and McMahon is going it alone then I'd be nervous about the outcome of this process. It would be no harm if someone else like Syl Merrins was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

McStay would be a step down from McGeeney IMO

From an outsider looking in, although it may have been right for McGeeney to go I just can't see McStay giving that level of dedication to the job and the underage set up

I don't think he is in the running. McStay is not based in the Curragh anymore as far as I know and Dermot Earley is due to travel shortly so that will rule him out as a potential second in command.

It's looking very likely that the next manager will have the surname Ryan. Whether it's Jason or Glenn is pure guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

would anyone rate John Courtney for the Kildare job.???
    I see that he has being apart of the backroom staff with Dublin this year

What age is Courtney now? He was Kildare manager after Eamonn O'Donoghue and the late Bobby Burns during the 80s.

It's looking very likely that the next manager will have the surname Ryan. Whether it's Jason or Glenn is pure guesswork.

:o

Kfm reporting that McMahon met Jack O'Connor this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

What age is Courtney now? He was Kildare manager after Eamonn O'Donoghue and the late Bobby Burns during the 80s.

Courtney is about 60. He's not long retired out of the army. I can't remember him being the manager of Kildare but I do remember him as manager of sarsfields for a good while.

anyways jack o Connor could be getting the job.. Don't know what to think about that. Fair play to him if he takes it but i wouldn't like to pay his diesel bill

Advertisement