Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Absolutely bloody fantastic!

Unbelievable. I did not see that coming. Hats off to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats Kildare. Unexpected win and sounds like quite the match as well

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Congratulations to our hurlers! A serious win and they gave an exibition to our footballers in how to be clinical! As a man who has only really seen them play whenever they were playing before the footballers I cant really say much but I hope to god there will be more funding for hurling development in the future in the county as the potential for the sport to grow with such a young population is staggering.Anyways congrats again! Heres hoping for a similar result for the footballers tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Welcome back to big time hurling, Kildare. I'm absolutely delighted and it's been a long time coming. I reckon there won't be a cow milked in Ardclough for a few days. Let's hope this presages a return to the great days of the late sixties and seventies, when, with Pat Dunny, Johnny Walsh etc. Kildare held their own with some of the best, beating Dublin and drawing with Offaly in the championship, and in a Leinster semi-final running Wexford to four points, having led by seven at half time. I hope the powers that be in Kildare take full advantage of this win to move on to bigger things and return to the glory of the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

h'UP the lillies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Great win for our hurlers yesterday. Nice to see some of the older heads who have been around for 10+ years without much success finally lifting a trophy. Hopefully the CB will start to treat these guys with a bit more respect as a result. As an aside, I think it's a shame these guys are made play again next weekend against Westmeath in the play-off. Why the rush?

If our footballers show half as much desire and passion today I've no doubt we'll beat Louth comfortably.

There'll be changes to that team named no doubt. Expect O'Flaherty to start and a number of positional switches.

Kildare by 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats on yesterday lads,fully deserved the win.

Hope ye go on now and have a right crack off Westmeath next week

Well that was easy. What was all the fuss about? :D

McNally 1-2, Bolton, Kelly, Fogarty, Brophy 0-3 each. Smith 0-2, Cribbin, Lyons, Moolick, ONeill, Callaghan, O'Flaherty 0-1 each.

12 different scorers and 1-19 from play.

Bring on Meath..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Can't read too much into the performance as the game was over early enough. Positives were Donnellan's kickouts which relieved pressure on the defence. Conway was solid at centre back. Moolick is looking like our best midfielder. Calllaghan was excellent and along with Niall Kelly supplied excellent balls into Fogarty who won everything. The team looked very sharp all over, McNally showed excellent pace. Emmet Bolton showed good mobility for the first time in years. Brophy was quiet enough by his high standards too but the other forwards delivered. Squad depth looks good too.

I'd still worry about the full back line and if kickouts are sussed out they could be put under pressure. Meath will be a tough game regardless.

Good win all things considered. Poor opposition and the next day will be a big step up but that should have done the morale of the squad the world of good. With Peter Kelly and Darroch Mulhall possibly back for the next day we do have some options to mix it up a bit more.

A great weekend for Kildare GAA.

• Advertisement

Good win all things considered. Poor opposition and the next day will be a big step up but that should have done the morale of the squad the world of good. With Peter Kelly and Darroch Mulhall possibly back for the next day we do have some options to mix it up a bit more.

A great weekend for Kildare GAA.

Who would you drop for Mulhall?

Who would you drop for Mulhall?

I probably wouldn't drop anyone but he gives another option from the bench. Touch wood there are no further injuries but if there was he's a nice backup to have. Paul Cribbin as well is suddenly pushed down the pecking order. It's amazing how just one 70 minute match can alter your perceptions so much! Kildare have some competition for places now which is no harm. O'Flaherty and Smith did well when introduced today albeit the match was long over as a contest.

Mick O'Grady and Gary White to bring in too potentially. A lot of the irrational criticism of Jason Ryan will be quietened down until the Meath match anyway. Fitzpatrick did nothing wrong when he came on but could have done with more gametime through the league.

Mick O'Grady and Gary White to bring in too potentially. A lot of the irrational criticism of Jason Ryan will be quietened down until the Meath match anyway. Fitzpatrick did nothing wrong when he came on but could have done with more gametime through the league.

Yeah we don't seem to have the same strength in depth in the backs yet. There's the makings of quite a good team there but I think it could be another 2 or 3 years before they reach their true potential. I just hope there's a bit of patience shown in Ryan. The age profile of the team that started today is very young. They need continuity:

1 Donnellan (22) 2 McGrillen (27) 3 Foley (30) 4 Bolton (29) 5 Lyons (27) 6 Conway (21) 7 Cribbin (25) 8 Moolick (22) 9 Hurley (22) 10 McNally (24) 11 Kelly (20) 12 O'Neill (28) 13 Callaghan (31) 14 Fogarty (22) 15 Brophy (20)

Add to that some of the players that didn't start today: Peter Kelly (25), Mick O'Grady (23), Darroch Mulhall (23), Eoin Doyle (24), Paul Cribbin (22), Eoghan O'Flaherty (26), Alan Smith (27), Tomás O'Connor (28).

David Hyland is 20 or 21 too.

David Hyland is 20 or 21 too.

He's the same age as Brophy and Niall Kelly. They were minors in 2012. Have another year left at u21 next year.

There should be some good talent coming through from those teams. I have high hopes for guys like Healy and Sherry (TMH), Flynn and Mescal (Maynooth), McMonagle (Clogherinkoe), Fitzpatrick (Monasterevin). If a few of those young lads can develop into senior intercounty players in a few years time Kildare will be doing well. The difference they have over players who have come through recently is that they have had more success at underage level. You would hope that will breed more belief into the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

He's the same age as Brophy and Niall Kelly. They were minors in 2012. Have another year left at u21 next year.

There should be some good talent coming through from those teams. I have high hopes for guys like Healy and Sherry (TMH), Flynn and Mescal (Maynooth), McMonagle (Clogherinkoe), Fitzpatrick (Monasterevin). If a few of those young lads can develop into senior intercounty players in a few years time Kildare will be doing well. The difference they have over players who have come through recently is that they have had more success at underage level. You would hope that will breed more belief into the next generation.
    I am involved with the monasterevin club fitzpatrick is a fine player

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

any idea on what date the semi final will be on lads?

Three weeks away from today.

Hurling playoff versus Westmeath scheduled for 2 o'clock in Navan on Saturday.

I don't know why this has to be played so quickly after the Christy Ring. What harm would there be in pushing it back another week and letting the Kildare players celebrate their victory properly before focussing on this match?

• Advertisement

Moved to Cusack Park, Mullingar at 3:45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Why do they get home advantage?

I presume the two county boards agreed to a coin toss for home venue.

Navan at 2 on a Saturday was a disgrace anyway. Tullamore on a Saturday evening/ Sunday afternoon would have shown a bit more respect to the teams involved.

I don't know why this has to be played so quickly after the Christy Ring. What harm would there be in pushing it back another week and letting the Kildare players celebrate their victory properly before focussing on this match?

Because the powers that be are doing their utmost to ringfence counties in the higher competitions and to ensure a minimum of promotion and relegation, as witness what Kerry had to do in the league and the timespan involved.

Because the powers that be are doing their utmost to ringfence counties in the higher competitions and to ensure a minimum of promotion and relegation, as witness what Kerry had to do in the league and the timespan involved.

7th game in as many weekends was just a step too far for the team on Saturday. They started very well but ran out of steam in the end and Westmeath were comfortable winners. A disappointing end to a successful season for the Kildare hurlers. They have done brilliantly to turn their year around after the league. The goal for next year has to be getting back into 2A in the National League and retaining the Christy Ring. That won't be easy but they should have gained a lot of confidence from their run this year and there is good young hurlers coming through. Kildare development squads have had some great results against some of the traditional hurling counties this year.

Hopefully Kildare hurling continues its upward curve and we can reach the level that teams like Laois, Carlow and Westmeath have achieved. That should be an attainable target for our county but we need more support from County Board level and from Croke Park.

Peter Kelly, Paul Cribbin and Eoin Doyle returned to full training this week.

Mick O'Grady and Darroch Mulhall are back doing some light training but are unlikely to be considered for selection against Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is the Kildare Meath game on TV next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is the Kildare Meath game on TV next week?
    AFAIK, RTE are showing both Leinster Football semi-finals next week.

Advertisement