Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

In mid October 2010 I took out the NGB regular broadband and talktime chatter bundle. As I understand it, this is subject to a 12 month contract ending in mid October 2011. I am moving house in September and wish to transfer this account (including my current phone number as it's easy to remember) over to the phoneline in my next home (it's in the same area code).

However, as far as I know this would automatically cause the account to be subject to a new 12 month contract starting in September. This is a problem as there is a significant chance that I may need to move to another country at the end of the year, which would leave me with a massive bill for early termination charges for most of the 12 month contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the following my only options?

1) Transfer the account to the new address and pay early termination charges for over 9 months of the contract.
    2) Terminate my account before moving and pay 1 or 2 months early termination charges.

Option 1 is not a runner, I'm not paying that much money for a few months of broadband at home. Option 2 may be my only way forward. Will Eircom offer me an alternative of transferring the account to my new address with no new minimum contract. If not, that is unfortunate as I want to keep paying over €50 per month to Eircom for their services. If Eircom doesn't allow me to avoid the minimum contract period when transferring to a new address, then they will lose out on at least that amount of money every month until at least the end of the year.

Surely it'd be in both Eircom's interest and my own interest to allow me to transfer the account without being subject to a new minimum contract period. Is there anything the Eircom reps on here can offer me in this situation? I'd prefer to keep paying you €50 per month for at least a few extra months!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

gaa_fan wrote: »
    Hi,

In mid October 2010 I took out the NGB regular broadband and talktime chatter bundle. As I understand it, this is subject to a 12 month contract ending in mid October 2011. I am moving house in September and wish to transfer this account (including my current phone number as it's easy to remember) over to the phoneline in my next home (it's in the same area code).

However, as far as I know this would automatically cause the account to be subject to a new 12 month contract starting in September. This is a problem as there is a significant chance that I may need to move to another country at the end of the year, which would leave me with a massive bill for early termination charges for most of the 12 month contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the following my only options?

1) Transfer the account to the new address and pay early termination charges for over 9 months of the contract.
    2) Terminate my account before moving and pay 1 or 2 months early termination charges.

Option 1 is not a runner, I'm not paying that much money for a few months of broadband at home. Option 2 may be my only way forward. Will Eircom offer me an alternative of transferring the account to my new address with no new minimum contract. If not, that is unfortunate as I want to keep paying over €50 per month to Eircom for their services. If Eircom doesn't allow me to avoid the minimum contract period when transferring to a new address, then they will lose out on at least that amount of money every month until at least the end of the year.

Surely it'd be in both Eircom's interest and my own interest to allow me to transfer the account without being subject to a new minimum contract period. Is there anything the Eircom reps on here can offer me in this situation? I'd prefer to keep paying you €50 per month for at least a few extra months!

Hi gaa_fan
    I am afraid that entering into a new contract is the standard proceedure and I am not sure if there is much I can do, but if you PM me your current and new tel. number I can see if anything can be done to keep you as a customer. I cannot promise success.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

Presumably when you are taking out a new contract in the new house, you are given a new RFS date. Customers have the right to then cancel said contract, before the RFS date arrives.

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

netnerd wrote: »
    Presumably when you are taking out a new contract in the new house, you are given a new RFS date. Customers have the right to then cancel said contract, before the RFS date arrives.

Maybe.

Hi netnerd,

The customer has a 10 working day time-frame to cancel after placing the order to cancel without penalty.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bener

Hi Mark,

Im in a similar situation as the op. At the moment I have a few months left in my contract, would this mean I can avoid cancelation charges for terminating my contract before the 12 months are up by moving house and cancelling during the RSF period?

Hi Mark,

Im in a similar situation as the op. At the moment I have a few months left in my contract, would this mean I can avoid cancelation charges for terminating my contract before the 12 months are up by moving house and cancelling during the RSF period?

• Advertisement

bener wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

Hi bener,

The 10 day cancellation process only applies to customers who put an order for a new account or to transfer an account from another provider from the date the order was processed.

Once that time-frame has elapsed the customer will be held to any contract terms & conditions and any early cease charges.

Thanks, Mark

Netnerd implied that once a new contract is taken out by moving house you would then be able to cancel this contract inside the RSF period.
    Is this incorrect?

bener wrote: »
    Netnerd implied that once a new contract is taken out by moving house you would then be able to cancel this contract inside the RSF period.
    Is this incorrect?

Hi bener,

The 10 day (cooling off) cancellation perod only applies to the new account set up at an address and not the existing account the customer is moving from.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement