Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menus ok in Firefox but not in Internet Explorer - help please?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a total amateur at this and would really appreciate some help.
    I'm trying to customize a template that I downloaded and have run into a problem.
    The menus at the top of the page work fine in Firefox but in Internet Explorer, they are cut in half!

Here's the template.... http://www.openwebdesign.org/design/4056/Simplicity_two_point_oh/

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know how to fix this. I have Dreamweaver and am getting more familiar with it as I go along.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 donbon

It works in IE in compatibility view. You can force that option by adding this in between your <head> tags
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

But..

That would be the lazy way to fix it.

I'm guessing this is some sort of float bug as the div navigation is floated and has no height or width defined in the css. This can sometimes cause an issue in IE.

Go into the css file and find
    div.navigation {
    float:left;
    margin-bottom:-2px;
    margin-left:85px;
    }

div.navigation ul {
    list-style:none;
    font-size:75%;
    margin:0.5em 0 0;
    padding:2px 0 0 1em;
    }

try and add a height and width. You might also try making sure that the float is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Wow, thanks so much. I took the lazy option!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 donbon

Fair enough, but understand you are basically telling all future versions of IE to interpret the site the way that IE7 would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Remove the relative positioning in DIV.header and the margin-bottom:-17px; in DIV.navigation (in ie7_diff.css)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

donbon wrote: »

Fair enough, but understand you are basically telling all future versions of IE to interpret the site the way that IE7 would.

Since Microsoft keep breaking stuff with every release, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

donbon wrote: »

Since Microsoft keep breaking stuff with every release, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Advertisement