Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Rental Reduced to €22.22 from September

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

This is a deal announced by the Dept of Social Welfare. When will it be applied to the rest of us lads ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And 8mb broadband will go up to??

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is a deal announced by the Dept of Social Welfare. When will it be applied to the rest of us lads ??

If its the same announcement we're talking about, its a reduction in the telephone allowance allowed to social welfare recipients, not a reduction in line rental.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2011/Pages/pr120711.aspx
    The cost of the Telephone Allowance will be reduced following negotiations with Eircom which will ensure that customers receive €26.86 of value on their bills, at a cost to the State of €22.22 per month.

The Telephone Allowance will be set at €22.22 per month (from €25.91 per month) from September 2011. However, the Department of Social Protection has negotiated with Eircom, the main supplier, to ensure that all Eircom customers will get a value of €26.86 towards their telephone bill.

Commenting on this change Minister Burton said: “I welcome this new ‘social benefits’ deal with Eircom to obtain maximum value for the State and for our customers. We’ll no longer pay a monthly rental for handsets, but customers will be able to keep their set at no charge. It just makes more sense.” The amounts paid in respect of customers of other companies or to customers who receive the allowance on a cash basis will also be reduced to €22.22 per month.

Looks like eircom are absorbing the reduction in the telephone allowance without passing the pain onto the customers.

Well done eircom!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am asking when they will extend this offer, €26.86 for the price of €22.22 to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am asking when they will extend this offer, €26.86 for the price of €22.22 to me!

Do you mean extend the price cuts to the private (i.e. non social welfare subsidised) individual as well?

If so, I'd assume its a bulk discount negotiated for the social welfare dept.

Hopefully i'm wrong and it'll be passed onto the private individual as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Do you mean extend the price cuts to the private (i.e. non social welfare subsidised) individual as well?

If so, I'd assume its a bulk discount negotiated for the social welfare dept.

Hopefully i'm wrong and it'll be passed onto the private individual as well. :)

Hi ninjasurfer
    Yes it is exactly as you stated in your earlier post, ‘its a reduction in the telephone allowance allowed to social welfare recipients, not a reduction in line rental’’ arranged with the Dept of Social Welfare and Department of Social Protection. At the moment there are no plans to extend this reduction to regular lines.
    Thanks for your post, which explains the agreement very well.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement