Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician or plumber?

• 21-07-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

My Triton electric shower has stopped heating the water, though the mechanism for pumping the water through it is still working. People who know more about such things than me have suggested it might the element or the thermostat that's at fault. I don't know if I should be calling an electrician or a plumber to investigate how much it would cost to repair or if it's worth repairing at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Electrician id say myself, they can do quick and simple tests to acertain the problem. Is the water still coming out at a good rate as before?

Does it start of cold or start hot then go cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

Thanks for the reply.

The water's coming out at the same rate as before, but that rate wasn't so good -very limey water in the area and I think that might have caused the problem in the first place. the shower's only 3 years old.

Oh and it starts cold and remains cold.

Cheers

The heating tank in it could be badly scaled alright. My own one is starting to cycle hot and cold which is a sign of scaled elements, i will be removing the tank out of it and de-scaling it soon, but its not realy a simple diy job.

As i said, a few tests by someone familiar with the electrical workings of them can quickly find what electrical reason its not heating. This can be element gone, pressure switch not switching on, temperature overheat switch not switched on(faulty), or a burned or loose connection within the shower internal wiring.

One thing to try is to ensure the shower head is not scaled, although this will not cause it to stay cold from switch on, but would cause the water to rapidly get too hot and cut out the overheat switch, then the heat would come back on when it cools again and it would cycle.

Is it a pumped shower? A triton t90?
    Where are you living?

Yeah, it's a Triton t90si. I'll de-scale the head and see if it makes any difference, the temp was alternating between hot and cold a bit before it packed in.

Thanks for the tips! :)

• Advertisement

Descaling the head is unlikely to fix it if its constantly cold.

Try turning the temperature dial up to the coldest position, this increases the water flow, and see if the heat comes on at all then. This would give indication its the pressure switch that has the heat off.

If it still does not come on, the showers internal wiring, connections, elements, and overheat and pressure switch`s will need to be tested. But overall, scale could be the problem, or a burnt connection or failed overheat or pressure switch, or element.

There are 2 elements though, so if one was gone, it should still heat up a little, but could still appear to be cold as it would not get hot enough for a shower except on very hot sunny days where the attic storage tank water has heated up a bit in the hot attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

If it is getting power I would call Earthridge in Maynooth as they are the agents. When ours was faullty they came out and told us the problem (cracked and leaking element casing) and told us we would be better off getting a new one as it wasnt much dearer than the fix itself. And they didn't charge us a call out fee. I found B&Q were the cheapest for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

triton t90xr €209 in tj o mahonys builders providers

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

evosteotriton t90xr €209 in tj o mahonys builders providers

Get B&Q to price promise then and you get it for €188.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

what way does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

evosteo wrote: »
    what way does that work?

Just pop into any B&Q store with proof of competitor price (flyer, brochure, website) and they will match that price plus give you a further 10% off the lower price. Just needs to be available in the other store (instock)

If you dont have proof, ask the advisor to phone TJ's to confirm price over phone.

From Diy.com/ie website

'If you find any product even 1c cheaper anywhere else, we’ll refund the difference and give you an extra 10% off the lower price.
    We’re so confident our prices in store are cheaper than our competitors, that if you buy a product from us and find the same product (or the equivalent in the case of the B&Q Brand) available locally for less – even if it’s a sale or special offer price – we’ll not just match that price but we’ll beat the lower price by a further 10% for your trouble. All we ask is that the lower price is generally available to any potential customer on the day that you call back, within 14 days of purchase, with a proof of purchase. Please ask in store for full Terms & Conditions.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

If anyone was to buy anything electrical in their local Electrical wholesaler they'll beat the B&Q price by at least 50%.

must bring the price list to B&Q next time I need gear:D

Advertisement