Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website for hosting photos

• 21-07-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, as it's kind of a techie question but it does pertain to photography.

Anyhow, I was at a wedding last week and loads of people were snapping away and it was decided that it would be a good if people could upload the best of their shots to a centralised place and then someone could create a superset of these put them into an online photo album. So, to pick a decent site... I was going to pick some photo website and probably setup a single account, probably one that you pay for as the upload limits would too low otherwise (I'm expecting the total upload to be several GB as some people had fancy DSLRs), and then email everyone the userid and password for this account so that they can all upload to a separate set/album under that account.
    But I'm not sure which is the best site to use; I've only ever really used PBase and Picasa, but it seems that the main one people use is flickr. Would this be the best choice for what I'm describing?

And then whenever a superset of pics is choosen, is there a better website for hosting the pictures? I've used PBase for this in the past as I like the way it displays the pictures....but I haven't really looked at any other site with regard to this in quite a while.

Any pointers are appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Picasa Web is an option, I know of 2 friends that used this for their guest's wedding photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Photobucket is easy to use and free, I would think there would be plenty of space in the free version if everyone resizes before they upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Picasa would be your best bet, Once it fills up just buy more space, or just use another email :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Any time I've done that some one always asks me for the original sized images. So these days I'd use dropbox.

I've not used skydrive but it looks like an interesting option with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery-share-in-more-ways?os=other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to have people worrying about image size and file size limitations so I reckon I'll go for Photobucket Pro account and pay for a few months or maybe a year.

Just in case its useful for anyone else, here's a quick overview of what the sites offer for free and for their paid service

Photobucket
    * Unlimited storage for photos.
    * Up to 500 videos permitted with up to 10 minutes in length per video.
    * Maximum display size of photos is 2048x1536 pixels each.
    * Maximum file size permitted is 5MB per photo and 500MB per video.
    Photobucket Pro account costs $3 month or $25 per year

flickr
    * 300 MB monthly photo upload limit (15MB per photo)
    * 2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
    * Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
    * Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
    * Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)
    flickr pro account costs $25 per year

Picasaweb
    * Maximum photo size: Each image can be no larger than 20 megabytes and are restricted to 50 megapixels or less.
    * Maximum video size: Each video uploaded can be no larger than 1GB in size.
    * Maximum number of web albums: 10,000
    * Maximum number of photos and videos per web album: 1,000
    * Total storage space: Picasa Web provides 1 GB for photos and videos. Files under certain sizes don't count towards this limit.
    Picasaweb paid for use
    * 20 GB - $5/yr
    * 80 GB - $20/yr

PBase
    No free account. Cost is $23US per year for 800MB of space.

• Advertisement

SkyDrive 25GB , 100MB per file limit - free.

If this is for a once off wedding I doubt you'd exceed 25GB unless everyone has massive files and videos. How long will it take you to upload it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

BostonB wrote: »
    SkyDrive 25GB , 100MB per file limit - free.

If this is for a once off wedding I doubt you'd exceed 25GB unless everyone has massive files and videos. How long will it take you to upload it?

I'm not going to do the uploading, I'm planning on giving everyone the login id/password for a single account and they can do the uploading themselves. Skydrive might work quite nicely as it's free...thanks

Will if it doesn't work, at least its free...exactly.

Advertisement