Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerkros Woodpellet Boiler - How much is it worth?

• 21-07-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I would appreciate some advice please. We have a 40kW Gerkros woodpellet boiler, it works but for logistical (and a rubbish plumber - long story) reasons I must sell it.

The problem is, I have no idea what it is worth. I have searched adverts, b&s, gumtree etc and I can only find one really old ad for an already sold boiler. I don't want to set too high an expectation and I don't want to be ripped off - all help appreciated.

Mod, This is not an advert, I promise - please don't close this. I will advertise on adverts etc once I get my advice. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I dont mean to be funny as I have one too and as far as I am concerned they are worthless, rushed onto the market, unreliable and If I could get my money back I would too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

:) hum, I'm hoping for a little more than €0

I know how you feel!! if you find more than one who want them put them on to me so I can get rid of mine too!!!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is the general consensus that the main problem is the auger feeding the boiler??

or does the boiler have its own issues too?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is the general consensus that the main problem is the auger feeding the boiler??

To be honest ours works fine (with the exception of a few dodgy deliveries of pellets), however our plumber was a complete cowboy and the journey the pipes take from the boiler in the garage to the house is about twice the distance it should have been, that added to the fact the pipes were not adequately insulated ( the ground above the pipes in the yard dries after rain when the heat is on) results in burning a huge amount of pellets and still not having a hugely warm house. The cost of relocating the boiler coupled with building or buying a new house for it etc and the poor quality pellets we were getting at the time forced us to buy an oil boiler and now we are operating with a dual fuel system. We now need the space in the garage to convert it for family, thus the initial post.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

oakshade wrote: »
    To be honest ours works fine (with the exception of a few dodgy deliveries of pellets), however our plumber was a complete cowboy and the journey the pipes take from the boiler in the garage to the house is about twice the distance it should have been, that added to the fact the pipes were not adequately insulated ( the ground above the pipes in the yard dries after rain when the heat is on) results in burning a huge amount of pellets and still not having a hugely warm house. The cost of relocating the boiler coupled with building or buying a new house for it etc and the poor quality pellets we were getting at the time forced us to buy an oil boiler and now we are operating with a dual fuel system. We now need the space in the garage to convert it for family, thus the initial post.

Have you experienced the quality of pellet improve??
    what was the issues with the poor pellets?? moisture content?

The biggest problem is keeping the pellets dry as they when they get a bit damp they turn to mush and the when they dry they turn to a lump of concrete, blocking the augur which means a big job clearing it out and you can loose a lot of pellets too.

The boilers themselves are finicky, you need to replace the element at least every 2 years but they can just go. There's a sensor light somewhere that needs regular cleaning, you basically need to be a mechanic, electrician and general genius to keep the damn things going.

When they are running they are fine but compared to oil or gas there is just way too much involved in them for the average person to make them viable or desirable.

Too many of us were burned by cowboys in the greener homes grant scheme so it is hard to tell if its the boiler or the installation!!! or both that causes the worst problems. Every time you get the hang of one a new one comes along to mess things up. My boiler is sitting there since February, the guy who installed it is now running a pub and hasn't been able to call over to look at it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

It was about this time last year (July 2010) that we made the strategic decision to abandon use of the Gerkros 20kW wood pellet boiler.

Main problem was unreliable ignition elements. Many secondary problems. In particular, one freezing cold evening with gale force wind blowing, the mains went down for a few minutes many times. The boiler (in the distant garage) had to be reset each time. That was the straw ...

Disposal of parts. Gave the 3 tonne pellet storage bin to a local farmer. It was sound. Not sure what he stores in it.

Still have the auger (funny, it was never a problem), the small pellet bin, the burner unit and control unit. Any ideas for other uses of these items?

With the help of a local heating engineer we were able to install an oil burner in place of the pellet burner in the boiler case. This has worked (100% reliable) since the day it was installed.

Have you experienced the quality of pellet improve??
    what was the issues with the poor pellets?? moisture content?

Our garage was designed to be eventually lived in (insulated to the same standard as our house etc) so dampness isn't an issue. The loose pellets we were buying were very dusty, causing the burner to fail/fault.

Luckily we hadn't invested in the 3 ton storage bin...

Is the general agreement that this is worthless?

Modify the door and turn it into a manual feed wood burner.
    If I was given one, that's what I'd do. ;)

• Advertisement

Is the general agreement that this is worthless?

I don't think there's much of a market for them anymore especially with gerkros gone and the original installers dissapearing at a rate of knots too!!! i'd still put a price on it and see if you get any offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

No6 wrote: »
    The biggest problem is keeping the pellets dry as they when they get a bit damp they turn to mush and the when they dry they turn to a lump of concrete, blocking the augur which means a big job clearing it out and you can loose a lot of pellets too.

The boilers themselves are finicky, you need to replace the element at least every 2 years but they can just go. There's a sensor light somewhere that needs regular cleaning, you basically need to be a mechanic, electrician and general genius to keep the damn things going.

When they are running they are fine but compared to oil or gas there is just way too much involved in them for the average person to make them viable or desirable.

Too many of us were burned by cowboys in the greener homes grant scheme so it is hard to tell if its the boiler or the installation!!! or both that causes the worst problems. Every time you get the hang of one a new one comes along to mess things up. My boiler is sitting there since February, the guy who installed it is now running a pub and hasn't been able to call over to look at it!!!

Hi,

In all the pellet boilers I have been involved with I haven't come across one in a half decent boiler house or garage (most were in garages) where the pellets were getting damp unless there was no door on the shed.

I can recall two where rain was blowing in the doorway (no door) and the pellets did turn to mush but that's what they are supposed to do, one of them was our own customer who put a bag of wet pellet into the hopper and it turned into a solid block.

Definitly the winter of 2006 was a bad pellet season but with hindsight (20 / 20 vision) that could have been avoided with a little planning by SEI, it really was a game of find the pellet among the saw dust.

Back on topic, if your Gerkros was fitted with a load valve make sure to include it in your advert, anyone who knows anything about them will know the boiler is most likely shot if the valve wasn't fitted.

The majority of the problems were down to installation though not necessarily the installers fault, Gerkros didn't follow their own rules and advise the installers or the customers.

Unfortunately the Greener Homes Scheme was dropped on the market instead of being eased in with set standards for installations.

It should be possible to convert the Gerkros to oil, not as efficient as a new condensing oil boiler but perhaps a cost effective way of getting some return from it.

Pete what is a load valve when its at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

They came as part of the original Gerkros package, now I fit them on every pellet system even ones I service.

Made by ESBE it is a modern version of the "Shunt / By Pass" depends on where you are they have different names.

The valve is fitted behind the pump on the return with a pipe between the valve and the flow, depending on the boiler it guarantees the return into the boiler is always above 55 / 60c they have other models set at different temps.

The flow temperature is always above the valve set temperature so no cold flow temperature, more important the return is always hot enough to avoid thermal shock, condensation etc.

Pump must be controlled not to start below the valve set point or it will dead head but that's the easy bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i sold a similar boiler last year for 1200 it was 2 yrs old with digital panel , to be honest it wassnt very efficient , but my main issue was lack of back up for them ..eg, heating element went and couldnt get it replaced for 10 days , 2 smalll children and a grumpy wife , decision made , couldnt be happier with oil,
    my advice is take any offer over 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1 viper101

Hi all,

Unfortunately, your Gerkros boilers is pretty much worthless. As someone who knows a bit about wood pellet appliances, I know that these were probably the worst pellet product ever unleashed on the Irish market. Add to that: the COWBOYS that unleashed them; the lack of back-up; the difficulty in getting parts; and a huge number of installers who hadn't a clue what they were doing - and you have a recipe for disaster.
    My advice is to dump it, learn the lesson and install a proven quality boiler next time. I know its hard to take but at least you'll have peace of mind. How could you inflict this product on some other unsuspecting consumer? Pellet boilers are cheaper now and much more affordable than you might think. The good ones are well over 90% efficient, don't require a buffer tank and offer features such as self-cleaning and auto ash removal.
    In addition, you should write a long letter to SEAI (once SEI), who gave out the grants for these boilers back in the day. The complete lack of regulation allowed these clowns bring crap boilers into the market and is mainly to blame for the whole lack of understanding of wood pellet boilers and stoves. People hear the bad stories associated with cowboys like these and disregard all the positive stories of installations throughout the country. SEAI should have had a standard that boilers must have met and not let just anything onto the market.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Scrap metal is fetching good prices these days, don't give it away, sell it for scrap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

I priced a Grant pellet boiler as a replacment for a Gercros a few weeks ago for a customer, and they were bringing it to a scrap yard !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Toyota1968

I have a 50 Kw gerkros and have made it my hobby to get it to worrk reliably -

I am suspicious about the digital controller as it doesnt seem to modulate around the setpoint ( set at 80 modulating at 60 / 61) - I suspect that it has been "reset" to a factory default or something similar -

does anyone know if there is a setup book / manual available for the controller settings - i am responsible for 50 Mw gas burners for a day job so not going to blow a wood pellet boiler up -

actually considering porgramming a small plc with a program to control the burner reliably - but would like to understgand the fitted controller first

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lennie6998

I have one of the 40kw boilers and am having all the same difficulties.

I'm a Fire Engineer and my Father is a retired central heating contactor. We knew from the start that the boiler instructions were to a poor standard and that the engineer commissioning it was inexperienced to say the least.

However, i have monitored the boiler no end and ensured it was serviced and fully cleaned top to bottom twice a year. It is giving decent economy (1600 euro a year for a 2800sq ft house) so i thought i should. In the last year the boiler has been giving trouble - locking out on red button occassionally and banging back.

I contacted the only service Engineer i could get my hands on, from the mid south of the country. He arrived checked a few things, didnt change the ignition element, didnt clean the boiler out and wasnt able to fix the problem. AND got payed 200 euro for this disservice.

Does anyone know of a suitable competent person who is able to carry out a proper diagnostic assessment of a one of these boilers and rectify the problem.

Also if anyone could recommend or comment on any new boilers that are on the market today and there ins and outs, it would be appreciated.

thanks

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 morzineed

Hi
    If anyone has a used wood pellet boiler for sale, please let me know.
    I am in England but would be able to arrange shipping if you could put it on a pallet for me.

Thanks

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

morzineed wrote: »
    Hi
    If anyone has a used wood pellet boiler for sale, please let me know.
    I am in England but would be able to arrange shipping if you could put it on a pallet for me.

Thanks

Ed

I may have one if you're interested, please PM me for details/pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rathlynin1

Hi folks,

I would appreciate some advice please. We have a 40kW Gerkros woodpellet boiler, it works but for logistical (and a rubbish plumber - long story) reasons I must sell it.

The problem is, I have no idea what it is worth. I have searched adverts, b&s, gumtree etc and I can only find one really old ad for an already sold boiler. I don't want to set too high an expectation and I don't want to be ripped off - all help appreciated.

Mod, This is not an advert, I promise - please don't close this. I will advertise on adverts etc once I get my advice. Thank you.

There's much newer models on the market now- id say your Gerkros boiler is about 6-7 years old
    I service 2 or three of them in my area and once theyre serviced annually by someone who knows what they're at they are a very good unit

Trouble is around 2005 the country was full of cowboy plumbers and bankers ...

Advertisement